Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    You will not need a 1080 to run games at 1080p 120hz.
    ...to get the full 120fps, you might.

Gonna say no. My 1070 seems to be doing that just fine. Granted, the most graphically-challenging game I've played so far is Fallout 4, but cranked to max graphics at 1440p my average FPS is 120. The only time it dips at all is right after a transition when it drops all the way down to 65 for a fraction of a second.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Gonna say no. My 1070 seems to be doing that just fine. Granted, the most graphically-challenging game I've played so far is Fallout 4, but cranked to max graphics at 1440p my average FPS is 120. The only time it dips at all is right after a transition when it drops all the way down to 65 for a fraction of a second.
    My 1080 doesn't hit 140fps for the Witcher 3 at 1440p. It's around 80-100 most of the time. I doubt the 1070 is going to magically do better than that, though for 1080p it's only driving 56.25% of the pixels.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My 1080 doesn't hit 140fps for the Witcher 3 at 1440p. It's around 80-100 most of the time. I doubt the 1070 is going to magically do better than that, though for 1080p it's only driving 56.25% of the pixels.

To toss my hat into the ring here (all results here are at 1080p on an Acer XB270H being driven by a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080):

Battlefield 4 - everything set to Ultra (or the right-most option in the graphics setting), 150% resolution scaling, and it never goes over 100fps.
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - again, everything maxed out (including MSAA at 8x), 15-25fps. Dropping down to 2xMSAA puts it back to 40-50fps.
    GTAV Online - everything maxed out except for a couple of the Nvidia Gameworks stuff being dropped down a notch or two from max) 30-60fps.

So yeah, if the objective is to max out graphics, a 1080 (or the eventual 1080ti) would be the thing to aim for...even at 1080p.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

To toss my hat into the ring here (all results here are at 1080p on an Acer XB270H):

Battlefield 4 - everything set to Ultra (or the right-most option in the graphics setting), 150% resolution scaling, and it never goes over 100fps.
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - again, everything maxed out (including MSAA at 8x), 15-25fps. Dropping down to 2xMSAA puts it back to 40-50fps.
    GTAV Online - everything maxed out except for a couple of the Nvidia Gameworks stuff being dropped down a notch or two from max) 30-60fps.

So yeah, if the objective is to max out graphics, a 1080 (or the eventual 1080ti) would be the thing to aim for...even at 1080p.

Yeah, hence the importance of Freesync/G-sync. Some would argue "mandatory need".

On my GTX 1080, I'm hitting a fairly sweet spot of 50 to 60 FPS at 4k with few, if any, graphical compromises (usually antialiasing in games that don't need it). But I have an overclocked one from EVGA which I am overclocking further.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So guys, what are the odds of 1070's seeing any sort of noticeable price drop before December, and also the same for Samsung 850 EVO's?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    None. But the 850s should see some sales this Holiday.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    1070's hard to say. I'd expect some price drops, provided suppliers can actually keep some in stock.

EVO's? That is a definite price drop, likely around Black Friday / Christmas.

E: Mugsley, so fast!

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    So guys, what are the odds of 1070's seeing any sort of noticeable price drop before December, and also the same for Samsung 850 EVO's?

Before we know if the 1070 will see a price drop, we'd like it to get to the MSRP first. It's possible to see them on sales, but considering they're still selling out regularly don't count too much on it.

Much more likely on the 850 Evo's. Those are older parts now, and known quantities.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »

Before we know if the 1070 will see a price drop, we'd like it to get to the MSRP first. It's possible to see them on sales, but considering they're still selling out regularly don't count too much on it.

Much more likely on the 850 Evo's. Those are older parts now, and known quantities.

Yeah by price drop I meant down to the MSRP. I'm sitting here waiting on a Amazon gift card to arrive, and then I'm getting 1070 off Jet and an 1TB EVO off Amazon, but the prices themselves have not budged in a meaningful way for months. Considering AMD has dropped the ball for the high end, I want to get a card that I can use in VSR (or the Green equivalent) on my 1080p monitor and play the stuff that is meant to look great, like Witcher 3 and Mad Max. My 7870 won't cut it even at 1080 these days, and my patience is at an end.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Looking at 8GB RX 480s

Specs and warranties aside... who designed these things? Most of them look like they were taken directly from the doodles of a 12 year old boy who wanted to make the "raddest looking" GPU possible.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So. Black Friday creeps closer, and I am vaguely considering getting around to putting together a new rig this go 'round. Are there any notable hardware releases between now and then, or should I start making a list now?

Primary goal would be something powerful enough to handle VR, it's a lot easier to try and justify that buy if I'm sitting on a box that can actually pump enough frames to make it livable.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So. Black Friday creeps closer, and I am vaguely considering getting around to putting together a new rig this go 'round. Are there any notable hardware releases between now and then, or should I start making a list now?

Primary goal would be something powerful enough to handle VR, it's a lot easier to try and justify that buy if I'm sitting on a box that can actually pump enough frames to make it livable.

Potentially we might see some Kaby Lake CPUs for sale by then, that's about it that would be relevant to a VR gaming build. The GTX 1050 comes out next month but that probably won't be good enough for VR. And the Kaby Lakes will have the same chipset as the current Sky Lakes, so no need to worry about getting an obsolete mobo.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Looking at 8GB RX 480s

Specs and warranties aside... who designed these things? Most of them look like they were taken directly from the doodles of a 12 year old boy who wanted to make the "raddest looking" GPU possible.

Excuse me, does this look like it was designed by a 12 year old?
    HIS-ICEQX2-RX-480-1-635x422.jpg
    I mean, it's obvious that the golden flame lion just makes it go faster.

That said, I nabbed the MSI Gaming X 8GB RX 480 and I'm pretty happy with it. Barely fits in my case, I had to remove an unused 2.5" drive tray because the squeeze prongs of the tray were in the way, but not too bad really. And it's one of the shorter designs available of the aftermarket cards.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    My case is bigger than my first apartment, so no worries there.

I won't buy another ASUS GPU after the 280x I have now, so I'm leaning closer to the Sappire or Gigabyte cards. The Powercolor "Red Devil" has a dumb name and looks like it should have Mountain Dew Code Red flowing through the heatpipes.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I was having a horrendous amount of bsods on my new build and it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize I had updated the mobo with the wrong company's drivers.

Really hope that was the problem.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    My case is bigger than my first apartment, so no worries there.

I won't buy another ASUS GPU after the 280x I have now, so I'm leaning closer to the Sappire or Gigabyte cards. The Powercolor "Red Devil" has a dumb name and looks like it should have Mountain Dew Code Red flowing through the heatpipes.

Yeah, I was originally looking forward to the Sapphire one, but then it came out and there were reports of some heat and/or noise issues, so I held off. I almost dropped down to a 470, but the Sapphire version of that was the only one that had the 8GHz VRAM, all the other company variations I saw for the 8GB versions were using the slower 6.7GHz stuff. Then I was leaning towards the XFX 480, but I saw that the MSI Gaming X was getting favorable responses and it was shorter, so I'm glad I went with it.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »

I think you'll be quite pleased with your GPU. Remember to register it on EVGA, and grab free EVGA Precision X. Even if you don't want to overclock, it's still a great program for checking fan speed, temperature, etc.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am really looking forward to Cannonlake and Volta. From what I have read, Cannonlake is going to be the successor to Sandybridge I've been waiting for. It's about time Intel rolled out an 8 core non-server/extreme CPU. Volta it looking to be another game changer with stacked DRAM. I expect elements of NVlink to make their way into the system for extra speedy lanes to the CPU, RAM, and HDD

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Two things:
    1) EVGA GTX1070 is $20 off at Newegg ($429.99) LINK

2) I was taking pics of my Cooler Master Cosmos the other day, for eBay selling. I discovered I have a TRUE just sitting there unused. If any of you want, you can have it for the cost of shipping. I'll send the brackets I can find, plus a spare Scythe S-Flex fan i have sitting around. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Looking at 8GB RX 480s

This is why I will never buy a case with a window.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    Anyone else experience latency spikes running SLI 1080's? I am beginning to think I jumped over from 980ti's in SLI too soon. Never had this issue with SLI or Crossfire before.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Man even with the 1080 G1 some games struggle to break 60 fps @ 1920*1200.

XCOM 2, looking at you here.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Looking at 8GB RX 480s

This is why I will never buy a case with a window.

But if I didn't have a side panel with a mesh bumpout where would I mount this stupid huge 230mm intake fan?

Also how else am I going to blast the soothing glow of LED lighting all throughout the room?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I finally put the 16GB kit into my rig this weekend. My case internals were surprisingly clean, after nearly 3 years of not opening it. The intake filters have done their job superbly.

H50i rad needed a quick blowdown, but otherwise, things were clean.

I was hoping to swap out the LED exhaust fan in the top of my case, but the replacement I had was too small (140mm vs 120mm). I may just cut the LED wires next time I'm in there.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hey there, building a future proof WoW gaming PC for the wife. Any thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.88 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.30 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card ($449.99 @ B&H)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1229.12
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-10 22:41 EDT-0400

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)

The 980Ti is a lot of video card for a WoW system. I know you said futureproof but if the primary gaming is WoW or similar type of games, and it will be at 1080p, you can save $200 by going with an RX 480.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The newest expansion benefits pretty substantially from a beefy graphics card. The game still runs well on lower end systems, but the 980Ti is not overkill. WoW's engine is 12 years old, so running features like SSAO and soft shadows on it is far less efficient than modern engines. My 980Ti struggles to maintain 100 FPS at max settings at 1440p in WoW Legion.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The newest expansion benefits pretty substantially from a beefy graphics card. The game still runs well on lower end systems, but the 980Ti is not overkill. WoW's engine is 12 years old, so running features like SSAO and soft shadows on it is far less efficient than modern engines. My 980Ti struggles to maintain 100 FPS at max settings at 1440p in WoW Legion.

And I would submit that 100fps at 1440p on a 980Ti would mean that something like a RX 480 is more than enough to run the game well at 1080p.

• Options

I would switch from 4x 4GB memory to 2x 8GB memory; if you need more RAM in the future you can just add an extra pair of sticks instead of having to swap.

If you're dropping the dough on the 980ti, might be better off with the 1070 instead? Either one is overkill for WoW, as previously mentioned. You can probably drop the PSU down to a 650 or 550 without much danger, especially if you don't plan to overclock.

Which brings me to my next point: why the z170 with a non-K processor? If you don't plan to overclock, try an H170 chipset mobo instead. Or upgrade to a 6600K CPU, just keep in mind you'd also need to buy a CPU cooler.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for all the feedback, and I needed to be reminded that I has a Z board with a non K chip. I was going for the 980ti for two reasons. Future proofing as she raids and does other things that currently brings her fps to a slide show at times. OR, I would have swapped my 770 into her new build and stolen the 980ti.

Here's a new build with a H motherboard and a more modest video card. I appreciate the comments, thank you all.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($203.69 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $727.66
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 10:29 EDT-0400

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I was hoping to swap out the LED exhaust fan in the top of my case, but the replacement I had was too small (140mm vs 120mm). I may just cut the LED wires next time I'm in there.

:bigfrown:

LEDs play a vital role in any PC build! In case anyone doesn't know, no PC is complete without an associated set of colored LEDs. However, it is very important that you choose your LED colors carefully, as each one has specific advantages:
    Red LEDs are very powerful. They make your PC run much, much faster. If you are looking to get a performance boost but can't afford higher quality parts or are unable to overclock, red LEDs are the way to go. Just make sure to beef up your cooling levels, because they will make your PC run much hotter. All of the top MLG Pro gamers use red LEDs (including myself).

Blue LEDs are great. They make your machine run much cooler. If your ambient temperatures are on the rise and you can't afford spending $20 a piece on high quality Noctua fans or $Idaho on expensive watercooling setups, blue LEDs are your best bet. I once knew a guy who had so many blue LEDs that his case pulled double duty as a minifridge. Not even joking. We'd keep the root beer in there during LAN parties.

Green LEDs are great because they make your system use significantly less AC power to run, thus lowering both your electricity bill and your carbon footprint. A set of high quality green LEDs surrounding a 1000w PSU will bring its power draw down to as low as 4-500w (not counting the extra power used to run the green LEDs).

White LEDs are (on paper) the best option, as they combine the benefits of red, blue, and green LEDs. Be very careful though!, white LEDs aren't very common because the light gives you cancer.

Legends tell of the fabled Purple LED, but so far they have eluded me. Could such a thing really exist? While evidence suggesting the existence of purple LEDs has been found in ancient Sumerian ruins, my years of investigation and research have led me to the conclusion that purple LEDs are a myth that exist solely in the delusional babblings of men who have gone mad while searching for them. The are the El Dorado of the PC building world.

You might think to yourself "Why wouldn't I combine LED colors in my case and gain multiple advantages without the drawbacks of white LEDs?". In the early fifties, when PC LEDs were still in their infancy, LED-combination experimentation using a series of lead sheets and mirrors appeared promising (aside from a few tragic mishaps due to the ineffective safety measures prevalent in laboratories at the time), unfortunately combining LED colors has proven impossible, as the effects simply cancel each other out.

Sure, some people prefer a "pure" PC and might not use LEDs at all, considering them to be "cheating", but you gotta ask yourself - if you were an Olympic athlete, and someone said you could inject LEDs to make your performance significantly better, would that be "cheating"? Of course not.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the feedback, and I needed to be reminded that I has a Z board with a non K chip. I was going for the 980ti for two reasons. Future proofing as she raids and does other things that currently brings her fps to a slide show at times. OR, I would have swapped my 770 into her new build and stolen the 980ti.

Here's a new build with a H motherboard and a more modest video card. I appreciate the comments, thank you all.

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Amazon)

Go for the 1060 for that price. Quicker, quieter and cooler for the same price or $10 more

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    iguanacus wrote: »

Go for the 1060 for that price. Quicker, quieter and cooler for the same price or $10 more

And I just thought I'd toss in my experience with WoW and high-end videocards: in highly populated areas, my frame-rates tend to drop into the 40-55fps realm. Warspear, during the Legion invasion event, etc... all dragged my 1080 down pretty heavily. Bearing in mind that running around out on my own would get me around 100-120fps. Now, I wasn't playing WoW when I had my 970 or 980 installed, so I couldn't give you a comparison with those cards, but the frame-rate hit I've been seeing with the 1080 leads me to give the best advice anybody around here would say about videocards: buy the most videocard you are comfortable with spending for. If you're fine with spending up for a 1070, get a 1070. No matter what you'll get, WoW'll use everything that it can.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yep like I said. WoW may run on weaker systems, but the days are long gone when that was all you'd ever need.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular

And I would submit that 100fps at 1440p on a 980Ti would mean that something like a RX 480 is more than enough to run the game well at 1080p.

I'm running two Kingpin 980ti's and I can barely keep 100fps at 1440p. I'm thinking that I have some weird feature turned on that is killing the fps or it's just not running in SLI like it should be..

Just getting back into WoW since not playing for 7 years. So I have no idea what I'm doing with that game anymore.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I don't know many people who have done SLI more than once. I had SLI 560tis back when my Sandybridge build was brand new. I ended up having so many issues that I pulled one of the cards and sold it. In many games I got worse framerates or massive hitching. Most games the performance boost was negligible.

I would always recommend going with a more powerful single card over weaker cards in SLI any day.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    yeah the 3 people who've SLIed around me always have issues

it used to be screen tearing and all that kind of shit, but now it's just shitty performance

which I guess is better

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I haven't really had any issues other then some games just not supporting SLI or making it so you have to jump through hoops to get it turned on. I've had nothing but good experiences, but I know that isn't par for the course.

When the 1080Ti comes out I'm gonna pull both my cards and sell em. Will be less in my watercooling loop so less heat to try and get rid of.

I wonder what a Kingpin 980Ti with a EKWB and backplate will sell for?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    *Shitty government network double post!

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
This discussion has been closed.