Options

Take this [job] and perform it to the best of your ability.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I think I might kill the guy in the cubicle next door. I haven't had a lot of sleep, and I may just snap

he's always been a very loud tea-slurper. He'll go through a whole mug making noises like a manatee sucking mud through a straw. There was a brief, glorious period where he vanished for a month, but he's back now
    and he's brought a new habit
    which is now he slurps, pauses, and then swishes his tea around in his mouth like it's mouthwash for a good 40 or 50 seconds
    really getting it into all the nooks and crannies
    squeezing it through his teeth to really maximize that volume

I think I'm going to kill him.

I cannot be around our staff intern while he's eating a sandwich. He makes all these soft, wet chewing noises and it makes my skin crawl. Only sandwiches, I dunno why.

Someone pointed out that when I drink I swallow really loudly, and now I'm really self conscious about it. Have you ever tried swallowing more quietly than usual? It's really hard!

I used to share an Office with a guy who liked to chew gum with his mouth open all day.

He's gone now.
    His contract expired and he wasn't kept for other reasons.

But I did tell him in no uncertain terms that listening to him chew all day was disgusting and if he had to do it then he better do it with his mouth closed.

I also talked to our mutual manager about it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Watching a friends fiancé work 2 hours overtime every day for time in lieu, with 2 hours to get home, only for her to be made redundant, and the boss to act like he's awesome for offering to sign her recommendation rather than write it himself, not even coming up with a single nice thing to say about her himself. On top of that they let her keep working overtime for time in lieu knowing she'd never be able to use it. The whole culture of the place was fucked, everyone stayed late but they all lived close to work. I just feel like all jobs are slavery and assholes keep getting promoted and making money off people like me. I have no desire to get employed again seeing this, I'll just rot in my parents house. It's all so sick and broken

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Ugh.
    So, there's a night shift supervisor. He works 4 tens, so the night shift knows how to work without him. He called out sick last night, but you'd think it'd be like any other day he was out.
    Nope, major fuck up happened.
    And I get to try to deal with it.
    This is coupled with the more minor problem I had to deal with that the weekend supervisor left me for Monday...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Double

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Watching a friends fiancé work 2 hours overtime every day for time in lieu, with 2 hours to get home, only for her to be made redundant, and the boss to act like he's awesome for offering to sign her recommendation rather than write it himself, not even coming up with a single nice thing to say about her himself. On top of that they let her keep working overtime for time in lieu knowing she'd never be able to use it. The whole culture of the place was fucked, everyone stayed late but they all lived close to work. I just feel like all jobs are slavery and assholes keep getting promoted and making money off people like me. I have no desire to get employed again seeing this, I'll just rot in my parents house. It's all so sick and broken

Fun Fact: The 40 hour work week is a federal law and it specifically prohibits time off in lieu as an acceptable practice. Given that bit where they let her keep doing it after they knew she was going to be made redundant she should report their ass and possibly talk to a lawyer.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So had the thingie with lockheed

the lady was super nice

she mentioned part of the trouble I might be having is the last person told me to apply to level 3ish jobs, but she asked me how much I currently make. After I told her she said I would make just as much, maybe even more, if I went entry level there, and entry level accepts a lot more people.

So.. entry level at lockheed making more than I make now, sure why the fuck not. I guess she thinks I have a good shot with that, so let's see where that goes.

Also yay I can go back for my Bachelors and Masters for a 100% free ride if they pull me in, so that's nice too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    If a major company offered me an entry level job with training and it was more money then I was on now, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I filed for unemployment. I received a notice saying that I don't qualify for benefits because I "didn't earn enough in wages" in the past four quarters to qualify.

The system thinks I earned $0.00 in the past three years.

And then in the same document, it shows my correct salary earnings over the past four quarters which absolutely qualify me for unemployment benefits.

The inefficiency and incompetence of all things government-related never fails to astound me.

that sounds like the kind of bullshit that will take approximately forever to sort out despite being patently absurd.

I estimate at least 3 months worth of phone calls and run-arounds.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »
    If a major company offered me an entry level job with training and it was more money then I was on now, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Yeah.

She was also like "you could also do 1099 contracting for a yearish to see if you know enough.." which I immediately noped with because who wants to find out in a year they don't have a job.

Sure maybe I'm not making big bucks, but free schooling, training, awesome bennies, and a good raise schedule is nice.

Plus maybe I can move in a few years.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    As an added bonus, you can get me a job there after you've gotten your foot in the door!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    godmode wrote: »
    As an added bonus, you can get me a job there after you've gotten your foot in the door!

I dunno, do you want to work in the butthole of NYS?

bowen on
  • Options
    I could go for a change of scenery!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So my husband's dad got put into hospice care on Monday. Congestive heart failure, renal failure, and a couple other less serious things. His doctors and nurses don't seem hopeful that he'll last very long. Which is almost a mercy at this point, as fuckin terrible as that sounds.

Husband talked to his boss about it. Since they're all long-term temps (my husband works at the same despair pit I used to before starting school) they basically said they can't give him time off to attend to his dad's affairs, but that he can resign amicably and they'll just put him right back on the floor when he's ready to come back. Which is something, I guess, not having to reapply and all that shit.

Still though, this whole situation is a goddamn shit sandwich.

• Options

XfhOjadl.jpg

I guess this is the "town center"

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

XfhOjadl.jpg

That looks super scenic! If they have decent Internet, I'm sold.

• Options
    So my husband's dad got put into hospice care on Monday. Congestive heart failure, renal failure, and a couple other less serious things. His doctors and nurses don't seem hopeful that he'll last very long. Which is almost a mercy at this point, as fuckin terrible as that sounds.

Husband talked to his boss about it. Since they're all long-term temps (my husband works at the same despair pit I used to before starting school) they basically said they can't give him time off to attend to his dad's affairs, but that he can resign amicably and they'll just put him right back on the floor when he's ready to come back. Which is something, I guess, not having to reapply and all that shit.

I think temp employees earn FMLA benefits just like real employees. There's some "rules" around it, and it's a matter of challenging it. It may not be worth it thow, they seem amicable to rehiring.

Also sorry to hear that about the FIL. I assume he struggled with diabetes and/or high blood pressure?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @godmode

http://broadbandnow.com/New-York/Owego

not.. not very good

you could commute 30-45 minutes from Ithica and hop up on their gigabit fiber internet though.

bowen on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

XfhOjadl.jpg

Uh huh. What's it look like in the winter?

• Options

XfhOjadl.jpg

Like the rest of NY:

rMxjnBW.png

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

XfhOjadl.jpg

select paint can, right click fill white

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    they basically said they can't give him time off to attend to his dad's affairs,

wtf

• Options
    I've only been seeing the name Owego a few times lately, and it's been really confusing because at first I thought everyone was typo-ing "Oswego" where a few of my friends are from.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I've only been seeing the name Owego a few times lately, and it's been really confusing because at first I thought everyone was typo-ing "Oswego" where a few of my friends are from.

Yea, Oswego probably gets more/worse snow but it's closer to being civilization than Owego is. I had to look up where Owego was and I've lived in CNY my whole life.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah there's at least a dozen cities that are named with Os in CNY.

Owego is basically "right below the finger lakes" in terms of its location relative to something important. It's where rich people live who aren't rich enough to live on the finger lakes.

• Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular

the lady was super nice

she mentioned part of the trouble I might be having is the last person told me to apply to level 3ish jobs, but she asked me how much I currently make. After I told her she said I would make just as much, maybe even more, if I went entry level there, and entry level accepts a lot more people.

So.. entry level at lockheed making more than I make now, sure why the fuck not. I guess she thinks I have a good shot with that, so let's see where that goes.

Also yay I can go back for my Bachelors and Masters for a 100% free ride if they pull me in, so that's nice too.

I thought Lockheed was closing their body shop, or are you looking to work on their defense/aerospace stuff?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

I think temp employees earn FMLA benefits just like real employees. There's some "rules" around it, and it's a matter of challenging it. It may not be worth it thow, they seem amicable to rehiring.

Also sorry to hear that about the FIL. I assume he struggled with diabetes and/or high blood pressure?

High blood pressure, yeah. He's black, so that honestly kinda comes with the territory, as terrible as that sounds.

He had a stroke about ten years ago, followed by a super severe heart attack that basically left him bedridden, for all intents and purposes. Until he lost consciousness last week he thought he was still in the field hospital in Nam.

He knew we had a black president though. Cried an stood up out of his wheelchair and have a big whoop when my husband told him.

We're gonna have him cremated and scatter him on the reservation where my husband's mom is buried. She passed about four years back from complications due to severe alcoholism/cirrhosis of the liver. I actually had to quit my job at Best Buy to attend her funeral! I was not nearly so level-headed about that shit as my hubby, I'm gonna tell you that right now.

Needless to say, the last few years have been pretty rough. But it can't rain all the time.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    alright bob thread, I have been putting applications in at various positions because I'm not thrilled with direction my hospital is taking with registration. In our state it is not legal to bring a pediatric patient in for a visit without guardianship or explicit written permission. The kiosks don't care about that so they're getting checked in and I can't stop them.

ANYWAYS... HUD just called me out of the blue last night. Union job, so 100% of the pay rate is something like 22. 1st year you get 80%, then 90% to the 2nd year. after that second year full pay until a contract negotiation. passed the phone interview. then comes the in person on friday, so I have to figure out a way to get off this friday afternoon.

excited though. even 80% is like $1/more an hour.

• Options

High blood pressure, yeah. He's black, so that honestly kinda comes with the territory, as terrible as that sounds.

He had a stroke about ten years ago, followed by a super severe heart attack that basically left him bedridden, for all intents and purposes. Until he lost consciousness last week he thought he was still in the field hospital in Nam.

He knew we had a black president though. Cried an stood up out of his wheelchair and have a big whoop when my husband told him.

We're gonna have him cremated and scatter him on the reservation where my husband's mom is buried. She passed about four years back from complications due to severe alcoholism/cirrhosis of the liver. I actually had to quit my job at Best Buy to attend her funeral! I was not nearly so level-headed about that shit as my hubby, I'm gonna tell you that right now.

Needless to say, the last few years have been pretty rough. But it can't rain all the time.

Ah yeah black people have a higher incidence of kidney failure too.

Sorry to hear that :(

• Options
    necroSYS wrote: »

the lady was super nice

I thought Lockheed was closing their body shop, or are you looking to work on their defense/aerospace stuff?

Yeah pretty much.

The Syracuse branch is kind of mehhhhhhhh at the moment, but I'm open to moving anywhere so it's whatever.

• Options
    Cool. Bunch of LM contractors where I work, but they're in the civilian side that's getting sold/spun off.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Temp employees are eligible for FMLA benefits if they've been temping at the same place for 12 months and have worked 1,250 hours over the past 12 months (~24 hours per week.) If they were hired through a temp agency, it's the agency that's responsible for administering FMLA leave, not the actual place of work. So if he meets those requirements and was placed through an agency, you might check with someone at the agency.

It's good that it looks like it won't be necessary, but you hate to rely on a verbal agreement if you're actually eligible for legal protection.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    necroSYS wrote: »
    Cool. Bunch of LM contractors where I work, but they're in the civilian side that's getting sold/spun off.

what happened to LM's civilian sector?

• Options
    nothing really

they lost a contract for the F35 I think, so a lot of lockheed is shutting down

• Options
    "hey, did you work on the xyz I needed you to do that's due tomorrow?"

"wait, what's xyz? did you send an email?"

"yes... last week."

"oh... no, super busy, I didn't do it"

fuck me

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    On my first work trip for this company! Going great so far, but holy geez I think this town was the inspiration for Deadly Premonition.

While I was in the meetings, I got an e-mail. One of my projects I'm on involves critiquing the designs of a fabricator. Given that my company has never had a mechanical engineer on-staff before, it's probably safe to say these guys aren't in love with the change. The guy designing a recent assembly just straight up didn't make alterations for heat flow that I suggested (and opened the e-mail response with a totally dishonest "thank you for your input" before saying he wasn't going to do any of it), so I just called him out hard while using my cheeriest, most feminine writing

Not gonna brook this behaviour, dude

Shut up and build my shit

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    On my first work trip for this company! Going great so far, but holy geez I think this town was the inspiration for Deadly Premonition.

While I was in the meetings, I got an e-mail. One of my projects I'm on involves critiquing the designs of a fabricator. Given that my company has never had a mechanical engineer on-staff before, it's probably safe to say these guys aren't in love with the change. The guy designing a recent assembly just straight up didn't make alterations for heat flow that I suggested (and opened the e-mail response with a totally dishonest "thank you for your input" before saying he wasn't going to do any of it), so I just called him out hard while using my cheeriest, most feminine writing

Not gonna brook this behaviour, dude

Shut up and build my shit

So, Comic Sans?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nothing really

they lost a contract for the F35 I think, so a lot of lockheed is shutting down

The opposite. They bought Sikorsky, so they make so much money in defense and aerospace that the $900M profit in the civilian sector isn't worth the headache.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/lockheed-agrees-to-buy-sikorsky-for-9-billion-1437392758
    Lockheed found some of its nonmilitary lines less profitable as niche rivals offered lower prices. Lockheed said it would decide by the end of the year whether to sell or spin off the nonmilitary operations, which have annual revenue of around $6 billion and employ about 17,000 workers.

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    oh I thought you were implying that they don't hire civilians, carry on then

none of the lockheed branches around here do anything but aerospace/military shit

bowen on
  • Options
    bowen, you might be thinking of GE losing the F35 engine contract

This discussion has been closed.