As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    http://www.fathomevents.com/event/batman-return-of-the-caped-crusaders

The Return of the Caped Crusaders is showing on select theaters on October 10!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Gods and Monsters is how "more grim and adult" DC Cinematic Universe should look like.

It is, but still presupposes that is a thing we need.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with a darker universe as long as the stories are told well

Like, Snyder's Batman got fucking dark as hell and it is still absolutely amazing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Gods and Monsters is how "more grim and adult" DC Cinematic Universe should look like.

some people want different things than other people. and one of the best ways to test/show off the versatility of characters is to change them up radically. make their worlds darker, lighter, more realistic, cartoonish, etc. and see if the core of the character still shines through, even if it is in a vastly different way.

ain't no such thing as a wrong direction. so long as the destination is cool, it makes the journey worthwhile.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

some people want different things than other people. and one of the best ways to test/show off the versatility of characters is to change them up radically. make their worlds darker, lighter, more realistic, cartoonish, etc. and see if the core of the character still shines through, even if it is in a vastly different way.

ain't no such thing as a wrong direction. so long as the destination is cool, it makes the journey worthwhile.

This is a really great explanation from a really terrible person.

Am I doing it correctly?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Forcibly bright and sunny stories can really be just as oppressive too really. You gotta trust your story's tone more than anything I think.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

This is a really great explanation from a really terrible person.

Am I doing it correctly?

close enough

you fumbled when you gave me credit for ever doing anything worthwhile, tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Whenever I hear people talking about Gods and Monsters, I always get confused, cause that was also the title of the last DV8 series DC did (and basically the last Wildstorm proper title I think?)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Just finished Gods & Monsters. You guys weren't lying, that was fantastic. It's like Bruce Timm was schooling Zack Snyder on how to do a darker DC universe. I would 100% watch more adventures in this universe.

The ending and character growth was the best.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

disagree. counter proof: your life.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Just finished Gods & Monsters. You guys weren't lying, that was fantastic. It's like Bruce Timm was schooling Zack Snyder on how to do a darker DC universe. I would 100% watch more adventures in this universe.

The ending and character growth was the best.

DC did release a prelude comic or two based on it but I'm unsure about it's quality. Did anyone here read it/them?

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

disagree. counter proof: your life.

god i wish i was dead

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited September 2016
    So I read Simone's Pre-Rebirth Secret Six run because I was thinking about how rad Catman is and wondered why I had heard basically nothing about it besides it handling LGBTQ characters very well. Which it totally did!

That was a pretty rad little series! Not quite up there with the previous Secret Six, but still really good. Stryx was a fantastic character that I hope we see again, same with Porcelain and I liked the New 52 incarnation of Catman pretty well, although there were a few too many "ha ha he's like a cat"-isms.

Also I really dig his redesign:
    cat.jpg

Oh and I was not expecting AT ALL this to be the book where we finally get:
    Ralph and Sue Dibny: Blissfully Happy Adventuring Married Couple back

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Finally got around to reading The Omega Men

holy christ what a book

That

goddamn

Tom King brought the noise for that book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I read the first few issues of Omega Men and liked it. I need to read the whole thing now

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I read the first few issues of Omega Men and liked it. I need to read the whole thing now
    It is some rough shit

Like it is absolutely fantastic, but man does it throw dark

It also helps that I am a big Kyle Rayner fan and he is probably the single best character in the book, morally speaking, and has a good arc

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is some rough shit

Like it is absolutely fantastic, but man does it throw dark

It also helps that I am a big Kyle Rayner fan and he is probably the single best character in the book, morally speaking, and has a good arc

Oh, I'm always up for media that makes me feel like shit (or really any feelings). I've loved everything else I've read from Tom King so I'm eager to get into Omega Men

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I read omega men on my vacation and just destroyed a bottle of Bourbon I'm the process. I spent the rest of the day feeling futile in all things

• Options
    I treated myself for Batman Day yesterday

zqyxcndozemv.jpg

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So I read Simone's Pre-Rebirth Secret Six run because I was thinking about how rad Catman is and wondered why I had heard basically nothing about it besides it handling LGBTQ characters very well. Which it totally did!

Oh and I was not expecting AT ALL this to be the book where we finally get:
    Ralph and Sue Dibny: Blissfully Happy Adventuring Married Couple back
    i remember gail simone when the book first got announced talking about petitioning to get to use two characters who had been missing since the reboot, and even then, i'dve never in a million years guessed it was ralph and sue dibny

• Options
    Jonboy Meyers gave a major hint to the 6th member of Teen Titans
    he made a noise like submarine radar

Aqualaaaaad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NTW_Cv10.jpg
    Dick's coming back home.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That cover is everything I want

• Options
    And the story has him discovering that Bludhaven has been overrun by B and C tier villains that fled Gotham and set up shop

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    And the story has him discovering that Bludhaven has been overrun by B and C tier villains that fled Gotham and set up shop

so bludhaven is miami

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

That's pretty much what Bludhaven has always been

But yeah, I can dig it

• Options
    Welcome to Butthaven

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Now him and Tim need to ride the trains blindfolded for half an issue just because.

sig.gif
  • Options
    21comic-orlando-superJumbo.jpg?1474403828?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=*:1400
    DC and IDW are releasing a 144-page anthology titled Love is Love with proceeds going to Equality Florida and it's fund for the victims of the Orlando Nightclub shooting. The lead story is by Marc Andreyko and stars Batwoman, with some of the other creators involved being Phil Jimenez, Olivier Coipel, Damon Lindelof, and Patton Oswalt. It will sell for 9.99 and releases in December.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Holy shit this week's issue of Superman is probably the single best issue I've read this year

Its a done in one where 85% of the issue is Lois, Clark and Jon going to the county fair with Clark having to stick to a strict night off from Supermanning to get family time in.

It is adorable

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Frankenstein is in the December solicits for Superman. I am delighted.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy shit this week's issue of Superman is probably the single best issue I've read this year

Its a done in one where 85% of the issue is Lois, Clark and Jon going to the county fair with Clark having to stick to a strict night off from Supermanning to get family time in.

It is adorable

OMG you were not kidding, i was giggling like a school girl during their roller coaster climb to the top of the hill.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Trinity was pretty dang great as well

felt short but the plot is Bruce and Diana coming to dinner with Lois, Clark and Jon so they can get to know this Clark better.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    So Hugo Strange having a super muscular ass is a thing now huh?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    So Hugo Strange having a super muscular ass is a thing now huh?

Probably part of his Batman-fetish. He caught sight of Bruce's backside without the cape in the way and went 'yep, gotta have that if I'm gonna put on the cowl'.

• Options
    Batman #9 Preview, first issue of the I Am Suicide arc:
    BM-9-01.jpg
    BM-9-02.jpg
    BM-9-03.jpg
    BM-9-04.jpg
    BM-9-05.jpg

I am so ready for Tom King writing a massive Bane storyline

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    That's a fantastically written Bane

• Options
    That's a fantastically written Bane
    The interview where he talked about going through the potential villains he could use for his run and stopping on Bane and slowly discovering that he's, probably, the single most dangerous villain Bruce has and is the only one to completely defeat him for an extended period of time got me so hyped.

I love Bane. Give me all of the Bane stories.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Just sittin' naked on his skull pile. Hoping he doesn't get caught on the jagged bits.

This discussion has been closed.