Options

US Presidential Election: Wave Riders

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm not a Fallon fan, but I think criticizing him for attempting to entertain and be funny is kind of oversensitive.

I just think there is so much to be outraged about that actually matters that this doesn't raise my hackles at all. My hackles are low-ish.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    I thought this was interesting:
    5 Signs NBC Is Unofficially Endorsing Trump For President

They dissect how NBC has been subtly (and not so subtly) giving preferential treatment to Trump: giving him the kid's gloves treatment in interviews, giving him the first slot in shows before Clinton, and even how their comedy shows are geared towards validating Trump and attacking Clinton.

575202_v1.jpg575203_v1.jpg

The flippant treatment of trump on Fallon pissed me off so much

And in retrospect that SNL invitation was bullshit. It's more horrifying now that he's the actual nominee

This is nothing, Fallon IIRC regularly has a cartoon Hillary on the show to act as a strawman to validate peoples negative perceptions of her by over exaggerating her perceptions of being false and other things. He is a fucking disgusting hack.

Actually, it's Colbert who does the cartoon candidates, and there's one for Trump, too. I mean, it's still shitty, but for awhile, it seemed Stephen was trying to play the "both sides are bad look at me being objective" game. Lately, he has given up and started channeling Jon Stewart.

I don't think he's trying to play the "both sides are the same" game so much as that he doesn't seem to like Clinton.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm not a Fallon fan, but I think criticizing him for attempting to entertain and be funny is kind of oversensitive.

I just think there is so much to be outraged about that actually matters that this doesn't raise my hackles at all. My hackles are low-ish.

Yeah I mean, he's a late night talk show host. Some of them are incisive and influential, some are complete fluff with nothing meaningful to say. He's never pretended to be anything other than the second, and expecting it now or any other time is kind of unrealistic.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I imagine the internal situation with Trump and NBC is extremely complex. I doubt there is much love for him among the talent and news teams, but The Apprentice is one of the network's biggest properties.

Would be shocked if there wasn't at least some faction in the network who realize the financial benefits to the network of rehabilitating Trump and that brand. That's not even considering the genuine allies Trump has certainly accrued in his many years working for the network.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

They dissect how NBC has been subtly (and not so subtly) giving preferential treatment to Trump: giving him the kid's gloves treatment in interviews, giving him the first slot in shows before Clinton, and even how their comedy shows are geared towards validating Trump and attacking Clinton.

And in retrospect that SNL invitation was bullshit. It's more horrifying now that he's the actual nominee

This is nothing, Fallon IIRC regularly has a cartoon Hillary on the show to act as a strawman to validate peoples negative perceptions of her by over exaggerating her perceptions of being false and other things. He is a fucking disgusting hack.

Actually, it's Colbert who does the cartoon candidates, and there's one for Trump, too. I mean, it's still shitty, but for awhile, it seemed Stephen was trying to play the "both sides are bad look at me being objective" game. Lately, he has given up and started channeling Jon Stewart.

I don't think he's trying to play the "both sides are the same" game so much as that he doesn't seem to like Clinton.

Sure, but as demonstrated by his show lately, he can not like someone and still understand how they are a 1000% better option. He's largely drifted away from being critical of Hillary, while every night he's blasting Trump.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Actually, I think we can criticise him for attempting to entertain and be funny. Because he isn't.

But otherwise, complaining that a sideshow emcee didn't rake a fool over the coals is rather silly. I didn't watch either interview, but I doubt I'd have been surprised and any of it. He's just terrible, period.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Seth Meyers routinely incinerates Trump. Hes hard on Hilary but Ive yet to see him even humor emails or cancer bullshit.
    Hes not getting huge ratings though.

Fallon got hit because days before Matt Lauer basically gave Trump a blowjob during what was supposed to be a roundtable about issues.

NBC definitely had a huge conflict of interest in regard to Trump and on top of that they cut him loose right before his so called rise to power. Now they are trying to repair that relationship

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The biggest crime with Trump on Fallon was the complete lack of cutaway shots to the band.

Because I can guarantee you a bunch of black dudes from Philly would have been really interesting to watch during that interview.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I imagine the internal situation with Trump and NBC is extremely complex. I doubt there is much love for him among the talent and news teams, but The Apprentice is one of the network's biggest properties.

Would be shocked if there wasn't at least some faction in the network who realize the financial benefits to the network of rehabilitating Trump and that brand. That's not even considering the genuine allies Trump has certainly accrued in his many years working for the network.

Didn't they already boot Trump off the apprentice? I thought I heard Schwarzenegger was replacing him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Actually, I think we can criticise him for attempting to entertain and be funny. Because he isn't.

But otherwise, complaining that a sideshow emcee didn't rake a fool over the coals is rather silly. I didn't watch either interview, but I doubt I'd have been surprised and any of it. He's just terrible, period.

Yeah to be clear Fallon is an unfunny hack. But he's an unfunny hack that doesn't bear the responsibility of a typical political journalist.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I don't care who you are, if you're normalizing a white supremacist, misogynistic wannabe dictator, go fuck yourself.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Sure, but as demonstrated by his show lately, he can not like someone and still understand how they are a 1000% better option. He's largely drifted away from being critical of Hillary, while every night he's blasting Trump.

I still remember when Comey's announcement thing came, he tore into her ridiculously harshly with just straight GOP nonsense about how she's the most untrustworthy person ever for it, which was incredibly bizarre to me.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I don't care who you are, if you're normalizing a white supremacist, misogynistic wannabe dictator, go fuck yourself.

Yeah, if Fallon had David Duke on I would be pretty ticked off too.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Meanwhile, the President is speaking at the opening of the Museum of African-American History at the Smithsonian at the moment. About Jackson and Clay speaking at a slave auction block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC-8HVUoV2g

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I don't know if I 100% agree with this. It's the primary voters who normalized Trump. Now that he's the nominee there's a certain amount of we have to play ball with that. The news media certainly has a very strong obligation to stand up to Trump, but I'm not sure that entertainment media does as well.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

I don't know if I 100% agree with this. It's the primary voters who normalized Trump. Now that he's the nominee there's a certain amount of we have to play ball with that. The news media certainly has a very strong obligation to stand up to Trump, but I'm not sure that entertainment media does as well.

There's no obligation to have the presidential candidates on your show. Meyers has said that Trump can go fuck himself. That's correct.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I think it's tempting to say this for fear of confronting just how god-damn awful the entire media apparatus of this country is at dealing with the Trump phenomenon and what it simultaneously says about large parts of the population as well.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Jimmy Fallon is the Junior Jay Leno NBC always wanted.

Dude is never going to rock the boat. Ever. He's the ideal network stooge, and I think it was rather naive and unrealistic of us to expect anything else from Corpsing Jimmy Fallon.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Meh. Fallon and SNL are actually allowed to hide behind "for the ratings." Even if Trump is deplorable enough that they shouldn't, they are explicitly entertainment media, and their business is entertainment and ratings.

Had the news media been doing their job the whole time nobody would really care that Fallon didn't try to nail him. Jimmy Fallon isn't Matt Lauer and should not be expected to do Lauer's job, even if Lauer won't.

Now, granted, I don't watch Fallon, but I assume he's not trying to be the next Jon Stewart. If he is, then yeah he failed, but it's still not the same sin as those in the news media have committed.

Fallon's show is apolitical almost to a fault. They clearly made a decision that they're not going to so much as dip their toes in that water.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Helping to humanize Donald Trump by joking around with him, giving his hair a friendly tussle, is actively participating in making him more likeable and more likely to be elected President. Whether or not anybody has a "responsibility" to not do that strikes me as pretty irrelevant to my judgment that you're aiding and abetting a dangerous shitlord.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

You know, it is this flippant attitude to entertainment (as if it could be completely isolated from society, and as if it can be harmless) that led a low-life, small-handed con man to become a symbol of good business to the mind of tens of millions of Americans

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Helping to humanize Donald Trump by joking around with him, giving his hair a friendly tussle, is actively participating in making him more likeable and more likely to be elected President. Whether or not anybody has a "responsibility" to not do that strikes me as pretty irrelevant to my judgment that you're aiding and abetting a dangerous shitlord.

Not to mention at the same time giving lip service to that "Hillary is sick" conspiracy theory, to make her appear less presidential. His skit was not only designed to humanize and help Trump, it was also meant to hinder and discredit Clinton. He's anything but "apolitical".

sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

He had originally typed the name as "Jennifer Flowers."

Could he be easier to bait?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You can't call a show that has a presidential candidate as a guest "apolitical"

That's simply not how it works.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Shit gets a little blurred when you factor in that Donald's celebrity exists outside of his political ambitions/campaign.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Shit gets a little blurred when you factor in that Donald's celebrity exists outside of his political ambitions/campaign.

No, not really!

Especially since Donald Trump has a history of making everything about him into a political thing!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Gator wrote: »
    Ted Cruz really is the most amorphous, spineless lizard to ever inhabit a human skin

Hakks

You have a spine.

So I'm one of the good lizards, eh? So racis

Also, still amazed at how LOW Trump can get, like holy shit at the Gennifer Flowers tweet

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    and yes Cruz's move here made no sense, unless there is some backroom thing that happened that forced his hand. He was already free and clear of consequences for his actions at the convention, would have been able to keep on with his current life AND have the power of "I told you so" come 2020 season... he just gave up his best hand.

That's my bet. It's his last chance to stay relevant in the part going forward, in a Trump centric GOP.

I posted earlier an interesting analysis by pundit Ben Domenech:
    So, some more analysis on Cruz switching that's worth a read:

Short version - the money people who backed Cruz (including looking to be literal Wall Street vampire Peter Thiel) are all firmly in Camp Trump. If he didn't make nice, he was looking at a lot of people wanting a Cruz skin rug in 2018.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Someone fill me in on who Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers are and what row they are sitting in at?

sig.gif
  • Options

You know, it is this flippant attitude to entertainment (as if it could be completely isolated from society, and as if it can be harmless) that led a low-life, small-handed con man to become a symbol of good business to the mind of tens of millions of Americans

I don't think I was being flippant. I was directing my outrage towards what I consider worthy causes of it. Sure I think Fallon sucks and that he probably shouldn't invite Presidential candidates on his show if he doesn't want his show to be political. It's just that it's not a 10 on my meter. It's, like, a 3.

I will never understand the insistence that the sufficient level of outrage be displayed. I never once said I like Fallon or that what he did was awesome. Just that I won't be flipping out about it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Someone fill me in on who Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers are and what row they are sitting in at?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/mark-cuban-to-get-front-row-seat-at-presidential-debate/324797000

Mark Cuban is a very rich person who owns the Mavs

So It Goes on
  • Options

Mark Cuban is a tech billionaire who has endorsed Clinton and enjoys trolling Trump. He owns the Dallas Mavericks and HD Net, and he's one of the stars of Shark Tank (American version of Dragon's Den). He's really a libertarian asshole, but doesn't like ignorant morons or racists.

Gennifer Flowers is one of the women Bill Clinton slept with during the Clinton marriage.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/mark-cuban-to-get-front-row-seat-at-presidential-debate/324797000

Mark Cuban is a very rich person who owns the Mavs

Is he having the steak or the fish at her fundraisers?

I just want to know if I get to make a Cuban Gristle Crisis joke.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Trump particularly hates Cuban I think because he wants to be him - an actual uber rich person

So It Goes on
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Trump particularly hates Cuban I think because he wants to be him - an actual uber rich person

And successful sports owner. Also note that Trump remembered and hit Cuban for his failed Apprentice knock off. He's a creature of television.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Mark Cuban: billionaire from the Silicon Valley set, owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team, libertarian douche who, like most other actual billionaires with actual billions, thinks Trump is a clown.

Gennifer Flowers: had a confirmed long-running affair with Bill Clinton, was used as an attack during the 1992 election.

Donald Trump: forever an asshole.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Probably also hates him because Cuban managed to buy a pro team and not fuck up the league to do it.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Meh. Fallon and SNL are actually allowed to hide behind "for the ratings." Even if Trump is deplorable enough that they shouldn't, they are explicitly entertainment media, and their business is entertainment and ratings.

Had the news media been doing their job the whole time nobody would really care that Fallon didn't try to nail him. Jimmy Fallon isn't Matt Lauer and should not be expected to do Lauer's job, even if Lauer won't.

Now, granted, I don't watch Fallon, but I assume he's not trying to be the next Jon Stewart. If he is, then yeah he failed, but it's still not the same sin as those in the news media have committed.

Fallon's show is apolitical almost to a fault. They clearly made a decision that they're not going to so much as dip their toes in that water.

What I usually take "apolitical" to mean is "unwilling to call out Republicans on their heinous, beyond the pale bigoted horseshit" because Republicans get their feathers ruffled easily and scream bias.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I'd love to see this come up during the debates.

So would I, but it's almost a guarantee his response would be something about the "Clinton sold uranium to Russia" conspiracy theory.
    That's ridiculous. Clinton would never give nuclear materials to the Russians.

However, I have video evidence showing her giving billions of dollars in aid to a mouse claiming to be the leader of an island nation that doesn't even exist.
    Terrible vetting. Sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I don't think I was being flippant. I was directing my outrage towards what I consider worthy causes of it. Sure I think Fallon sucks and that he probably shouldn't invite Presidential candidates on his show if he doesn't want his show to be political. It's just that it's not a 10 on my meter. It's, like, a 3.

I will never understand the insistence that the sufficient level of outrage be displayed. I never once said I like Fallon or that what he did was awesome. Just that I won't be flipping out about it.

Because it's a lot more serious than you think. Cracked did a piece worth reading about how NBC is tacitly supporting Trump for president, and they discuss this:
    Also, think about the single moment that was used to promote each of the candidates' most recent drop-ins on The Tonight Show. The thing that you saw in the accompanying pictures under the headlines about each appearance the next day. For Trump, it was Fallon tousling his hair.

575202_v1.jpg

For Clinton, though, it was Fallon wearing a surgical mask.

575203_v1.jpg

That's a nod to the rumors about Clinton's health. They're both jokes, obviously, but only one of them is built on a premise that originated with pro-Trump conspiracy theorists online.

Fallon doing that normalizes both the view of Trump as harmless and the conspiracy theories about Clinton. And that is a fucking huge problem.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.