Options

US Presidential Election: Wave Riders

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Trump not getting enough credit for using her correct title.

It's amazing he doesn't bitch about not getting accolades for wiping his own ass.

He doesn't have access to the constitution yet.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Wanna hear a heartwarming story about how bootstrappy those Trump kids were? (Link).
    In a recent interview with Business Insider, when asked how she acquired her business acumen and savvy, Trump’s daughter and now-campaign surrogate Ivanka answered, “I had a whole lot of lemonade stands growing up, which were helpful in learning about business on the most fundamental level.”

“First of all, my mother wasn’t about to let us set up shop with a lemonade stand at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street,” she told the news source, “and to do so in the lobby of Trump Tower would have been just a little too precious, don’t you think?”

Instead, they set up shop in front of their home in Greenwich, Conn. — on a very wealthy street with almost no foot traffic and thus no potential customers.

“The only trouble with this arrangement was our location — not a typical Trump problem,” she wrote in the book. “We were at the end of a cul-de-sac in an affluent community of spacious homes on sprawling properties. In every other respect, this was a prime spot, but it was a dead zone for aspiring lemonade magnates.”

The trio of kids — Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric — were supposed to recoup and pay back the funds their parents had given them as seed money. How to possibly get those funds running a business that’s all supply and no demand? Why, just get The Help to pay for it! I’m sure they want to fork over their earnings to the rich kids they work for, and that they totally spent that money willingly, without fear that they had to buy it or they might be in trouble with the bosses.

Ivanka writes that Trump employees “took pity on us and dug deep for their spare change.” The trio of Trump mini-titans got the family’s driver, their bodyguard and members of the house staff to buy up their product until they were in the black.

“We made the best of a bad situation, I guess,” Ivanka says, obliviously handing the credit for the lemonade stand’s success to her and her siblings’ “wily charms and persuasive marketing skills,” instead of the hired help who chipped in to give money that ultimately went right back into their rich boss’s pocket, “a lesson we’d utilize again and again as we moved on in business.”

Damn that's an achievement in cluelessness.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    He's lowered the bar so much that there's an expectation of rewards for common courtesy

But I don't even buy that he was being courteous, the whole, "I want you to be happy" thing smacked of disingenuous snark

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That story really needs another button than agree or awesome. I miss the extra reaction buttons.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Talking about welfare abuse is exactly how R politicians get people, even those who collect welfare themselves to get behind the R policies to fuck over welfare. Because they go "Hey, look at those guys over there. Not you, you're a hard worker who needs just a bit of help. But those people over there are buying flat screen TVs with welfare money and just not working at all!

Without being able to play their voters against an other, I think republicans wouldn't have won an election in the last 20 years.

Divide and conquer is a tried and dependable technique, why would they ever switch?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Wanna hear a heartwarming story about how bootstrappy those Trump kids were? (Link).
    In a recent interview with Business Insider, when asked how she acquired her business acumen and savvy, Trump’s daughter and now-campaign surrogate Ivanka answered, “I had a whole lot of lemonade stands growing up, which were helpful in learning about business on the most fundamental level.”

“First of all, my mother wasn’t about to let us set up shop with a lemonade stand at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street,” she told the news source, “and to do so in the lobby of Trump Tower would have been just a little too precious, don’t you think?”

Instead, they set up shop in front of their home in Greenwich, Conn. — on a very wealthy street with almost no foot traffic and thus no potential customers.

“The only trouble with this arrangement was our location — not a typical Trump problem,” she wrote in the book. “We were at the end of a cul-de-sac in an affluent community of spacious homes on sprawling properties. In every other respect, this was a prime spot, but it was a dead zone for aspiring lemonade magnates.”

The trio of kids — Ivanka, Donald Jr. and Eric — were supposed to recoup and pay back the funds their parents had given them as seed money. How to possibly get those funds running a business that’s all supply and no demand? Why, just get The Help to pay for it! I’m sure they want to fork over their earnings to the rich kids they work for, and that they totally spent that money willingly, without fear that they had to buy it or they might be in trouble with the bosses.

Ivanka writes that Trump employees “took pity on us and dug deep for their spare change.” The trio of Trump mini-titans got the family’s driver, their bodyguard and members of the house staff to buy up their product until they were in the black.

“We made the best of a bad situation, I guess,” Ivanka says, obliviously handing the credit for the lemonade stand’s success to her and her siblings’ “wily charms and persuasive marketing skills,” instead of the hired help who chipped in to give money that ultimately went right back into their rich boss’s pocket, “a lesson we’d utilize again and again as we moved on in business.”

man that's right up there with the "our gardener missed his sisters wedding just so he could be with us" comment.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    That story really needs another button than agree or awesome. I miss the extra reaction buttons.

Seriously.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Wait a minute.. let me double-check my reserves... No, wait, it looks like the well is empty. How about--nope that's dry as bone as well.

I officially am no longer shocked at the kind of dumb shit that the Trumps will say to pretend they're like us that totally misses the mark.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

man that's right up there with the "our gardener missed his sisters wedding just so he could be with us" comment.

I know that's a real quote, but my mind instantly rejects it from believability. It just sounds like something that the stereotypical evil boss in a bad movie would say.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »

:hydra:

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

How dare Hillary Clinton call half of Trump supporters "deplorables" who are bigots and racists. Now to buy a doormat saying I am a deplorable racist bigot?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

omg this whole time i was wondering why i couldn't relate to Ivanka Trump and it was all because i was missing this charming tale in my life

kids! So precocious. So precious.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I feel like the amount of time we spend talking about Johnson and Stein is grossly disproportionate to their actual impact on this election anything at all, ever

You say that, but when Trump wins by 1%...

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

How dare Hillary Clinton call half of Trump supporters "deplorables" who are bigots and racists. Now to buy a doormat saying I am a deplorable racist bigot?

It's ironic, like if I bought a welcome mat that said "Home of a Secret Muslim Terrorist Immigrant Job Stealing Liberal Feminazi Welfare Queen"

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

It's ironic, like if I bought a welcome mat that said "Home of a Secret Muslim Terrorist Immigrant Job Stealing Liberal Feminazi Welfare Queen"

That would be a big ass welcome mat.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

That would be a big ass welcome mat.

I have a lot of witch hunters with torches and pitchforks to greet at the door and I want them to feel at home

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yes, please do buy that doormat. I am 100% behind racists self labeling for the convenience of the rest of us.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Yes, please do buy that doormat. I am 100% behind racists self labeling for the convenience of the rest of us.

Down here they just use the confederate flag for that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Is it bad that I see that and think "it'll definitely make door to door canvassing faster"?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Is it bad that I see that and think "it'll definitely make door to door canvassing faster"?

Nope.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    1000% safer, too

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Transcribing a series of tweets from Arielle Brousse (thewordunheard)
    I've said it before: I grew up in Atlantic City. My parents, my friends' parents, my neighbors, they all worked in Atlantic City. Donald Trump's systematic monopolization of trade, mismanagement of funds, and destruction of community there is personal to me.

As a matter of course, he hired small local businesses as contractors, did not pay them, and then filed bankruptcy. Take a moment to consider how much money you'd be able to amass if you just didn't pay your bills and then got people to forgive you for it. But also consider what it's like to be the small business owner who takes on a huge, glittery contract and then NEVER! GETS! PAID!

You're promised prosperity. You're sucked in with catchphrases and dreams. You lay out your own capital and labor and you're left with empty hands.

Trump orchestrated his own mini version of the housing bubble in my hometown. He came in. He prospected. We're left dragging his failures. The people in my mother's labor union lost their retirement funds because he built a business based on gold leaf and marquee lighting.

He's an ego. He's a character. He's a joke. But that joke has a human cost. It's financially and culturally destroying the town I grew up in. And we get to hear him brag about how it means he's a great businessman. It's insulting. Its gaslighting. To watch a man destroy you, and to hear him tell other people how good and powerful it makes him.

To see them believing it.

Please don't believe it. Please stand on the side of the worker. Please help defeat him.

These stakes are personal to me. Trust me: I have seen firsthand the damage he can do in a home community. A nation would be a catastrophe.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    1000% safer, too

Well, dogs and fences (#1 and #2 canvasser injury sources) still exist. But significantly safer, probably.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, I have a long ass comment from /r/politics about how Trump treated residents at 100 Central Park South, but I want to wait for @Elki to start a new thread. Because it's really good and is surprisingly well supported.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Just add a check box to the sheet "Deplorables Doormat" to get them off the list.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    He's lowered the bar so much that there's an expectation of rewards for common courtesy

But I don't even buy that he was being courteous, the whole, "I want you to be happy" thing smacked of disingenuous snark

Yeah, that bullshit "I want you to be happy, it's important to me" line was clearly meant to try to make Clinton look like a frail old lady that needed him to make her happy instead of the stone cold prepared bad-ass warrior woman debater he was about to actually face.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

Hillary campaign input on Trump/Cuba

Pretty strong IMHO

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtiqrUGWgAA5HJD.jpg
    They aren't even really denying it in those talking points.

Couscous on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    "It's pretty sad they have to go back 10, 20, 30 years to find something to hit Trump with. Now let me tell you about a little lady called Monica Lewinsky..."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

It's weird how Trump will blatantly lie about anything except his business actions. Almost like he's proud of it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Trumps stinks.. of loser right now, and that's the sweetest he ever smelled.

I hope the other debates go as well as this one

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

omg the Megyn Kelly burn on Hannity

yaaas

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    "It's pretty sad they have to go back 10, 20, 30 years to find something to hit Trump with. Now let me tell you about a little lady called Monica Lewinsky..."

well, self awareness has never been a strong point for the Trump campaign.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »

well, self awareness has never been a strong point for the Trump campaign.

And its not like the media will call it out. Just like they'll gleefully report on the appearance of impropriety about the clinton foundation and directly ignore laws broken by the Trump Foundation.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Clinton campaign has been hitting them on things that happened this year, too

It's just that we are learning more and more that the way he has acted lately is not new and that there is a pattern of him lying, breaking the law, and holding bigoted views in his past

But he would look just as awful if we only took things that happened in the past year into account

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

It's weird how Trump will blatantly lie about anything except his business actions. Almost like he's proud of it.
    Well, almost anything.

He'll also stand by calling women fat.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    So, I have a long ass comment from /r/politics about how Trump treated residents at 100 Central Park South, but I want to wait for @Elki to start a new thread. Because it's really good and is surprisingly well supported.

I think I read that one, and yeah, it's pretty bad.

What kills me most though is the people rushing to defend his actions during it, you can almost see the mental gymnastics in full form.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

yaaas

This past year, getting shit from Trump for her blood whatever, the pusillanimous lack of support from Fox in that incident, plus her being named in all the stories for complaints against Ailes leading to his downfall, and now this Hannity shade...I wonder if Kelly is on the cusp of some sort of awakening

please let it be so

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

yaaas

This past year, getting shit from Trump for her blood whatever, the pusillanimous lack of support from Fox in that incident, plus her being named in all the stories for complaints against Ailes leading to his downfall, and now this Hannity shade...I wonder if Kelly is on the cusp of some sort of awakening

please let it be so

Doubtful, if anything I bet it was unintentional.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.