Options

The [2016 Presidential Election] October Advent Calendar

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    NYT wrote:
    His response to these charges has been surprisingly — and perhaps, revealingly — callow. He has mocked, whined, chided, bemoaned and belittled. It’s as if the man is on a mission to demonstrate to voters the staggering magnitude of his social vulgarity and emotional ineptitude. He has dispensed with all semblances of wanting to appear presidential and embraced what seems to be most natural to him: acting like a pig.

loving this article atm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/17/opinion/donald-trump-the-worst-of-america.html?_r=0

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    And speaking of Arizona

Edit: Looks like there might also be a Texas ad buy as well, but right now all I've seen is a tweet about an unsubstantiated rumor from an aide, so let's not get too excited yet. It'd make sense though--both of the Texas polls from October give Trump a single digit lead.

I'm going to AZ next week and mmm MMMmmmMMM it would be so fucking delicious if AZ was like, reliably light blue for like a week, so I could be insufferably and justifiably smug

ugh...so delicious, like authentic mexican food

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    You guys shouldn't get your hopes up too high for Wednesday's debate. Not that I don't think Hillary will do well, but she's not going to do well for us. She's going to use the debate to make one last pitch to pry undecideds and weak/moderate Republicans away from Trump. She's not going to play to her base (us). So I expect a lot of her remarks will sound bland to us and her performance won't be fully satisfying to us, simply because we won't be her target audience there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Trust CNN to bring everything down a bit. C+1 in NC, +2 in NV, Trump +4 in OH.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Richy wrote: »
    You guys shouldn't get your hopes up too high for Wednesday's debate. Not that I don't think Hillary will do well, but she's not going to do well for us. She's going to use the debate to make one last pitch to pry undecideds and weak/moderate Republicans away from Trump. She's not going to play to her base (us). So I expect a lot of her remarks will sound bland to us and her performance won't be fully satisfying to us, simply because we won't be her target audience there.

Hate to tell ya, but her base has almost always been center to center left with light dustings of further left shifts. Not speaking policy so much as to who she attempts to court.

Crayon on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »
    GOP: She stole the election!

Al Gore: Hey, guys. What are we talking about?

GOP: Who are you again? Oh right, the guy who lost to Obama.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »

Hate to tell ya, but her base has almost always been center to center left with light dustings of further left shifts. Not speaking policy so much as to who she attempts to court.

She's been going further left than she ever has in the past with this election. That's new with her. She was not like this when she ran against Obama.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

sig.gif
  • Options

She's been going further left than she ever has in the past with this election. That's new with her. She was not like this when she ran against Obama.

That would be the light dustings, yes. And yeah, it's entirely new. But, like I said-since her run in NY it's been "I've got the left, let's see who I can get from the middle."

However, since she clinched the nominee it's kind of drifted back to her NY days.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

The same not true critique Clinton is a center left 90's republican bullshit that has been with us all year.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Preacher wrote: »

The same not true critique Clinton is a center left 90's republican bullshit that has been with us all year.

Literally not what I'm trying to say. It's explicitly why I stated it as non-policy and instead who she's attempted to court. Sigh. Even with qualifiers you substitute what I said with what you want to reply to.

Crayon on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Trump really seems to be ramping up the crazy here. The debate this week is going to be... interesting.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I hope this video helps some of the folks I know who think Johnson and Stein are great candidates (ok thats a lie I dont personally know anyone who thinks Stein is a great candidate.. I knew she was a doctor but christ.. she did internal medicine that makes it even worse regarding the vaxx shit. Do you like HARD science, then internal medicine is the focus for you. )

as for Johnson... eye roll. Go home you moron.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Trust CNN to bring everything down a bit. C+1 in NC, +2 in NV, Trump +4 in OH.

Clinton winning by any degree in NC does not bring me down

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I decided to brave the comments on that tweet....

and it seems people are very upset with Trump. There are a few supporters here and there, but I was pleasantly surprised with how many people were flat out pointing out his bullshit.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I feel like Johnson would be the biggest laughing stock if we didn't have Trump stealing all the limelight.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Vox has a p straightforward breakdown of the bind Putin and Wikileaks are putting American journalists, and our democracy in general, in:

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/10/17/13245200/russia-wikileaks-american-press-democracy
    Russia’s strategy is even more dangerous that it appears. Not only does it undermine democracy using the press but it actually gets the press to undermine itself. And there’s not much we can reasonably do about it, either.

Every cybersecurity researcher I spoke to warned that the next step in Russia’s strategy is forgeries: that the Russians will give WikiLeaks a lot of hacked information and include in it some fake emails with seemingly damning information. Because this is private correspondence, it’s very difficult for reporters to identify as being false. The people who are hacked can deny it, but WikiLeaks will insist it’s genuine, creating a kind of “he said, she said” situation where you can’t really know who’s telling the truth.

There’s no evidence Russia has done this in any of the election dumps — yet. But it has before: Foreign Policy’s Elias Groll has a good write-up of how documents stolen from philanthropist George Soros’s foundation included one note showing Soros’s group shoveling hundreds of thousands of dollars to Russian dissident Alexei Navalny. The email was a fake, one designed to discredit Navalny by making him look like a foreign plant.

The Soros email was a poor forgery and was easily caught. But there’s no guarantee the Kremlin remains this incompetent in the future.

That’s what’s so scary for the press. If future docu-dumps contain potentially falsified information, which can’t well be verified, we end up in a post-truth world where it’s impossible to trust information online. The press may end up unintentionally propagating false information, even if it reports denials by the targets alongside the fake revelations. That undermines its role as societal truth teller and thus the public’s already damaged faith in the press’s honesty.

“Hacking and misinformation are the death knell,” Isabel, the journalism professor, says. “If we’re just constantly following and repeating information we get, then our credibility goes even lower.”

The worst part, though, is that there’s almost no way for the press to stop this. Reporters, for reasons we’ve discussed, have every reason to report on hacked disclosures. We can’t hold back on newsworthy information because of the hypothetical fear that one day Russia will end up spinning us into undermining ourselves.

There are checks the press can put up, of course: Be skeptical, don’t report things that seem mundane or too outlandish, verify with independent information whenever you can, and publish other pieces on Russia’s information warfare strategy. But it’s not at all clear that these tactics can counteract the damage hacking and misinformation can do to the credibility of both democracy and the press itself.

The only real, durable solution is to get Russia to knock it off: to somehow persuade the Russians to stop hacking American political actors and dumping their information to WikiLeaks. And that’s just not something the press is equipped to do.

as much as I've been critical of the (TV) news media for allowing Trump to dominate their airwaves, aggrandizing him during the primaries with the unwarranted gift of uncritical attention, I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that there's very little the press can do about Wikileaks data dumps, which are increasingly frequent.

In summary also, fuck Assange. Even if he goes down, a million other leak sites will pop up to replace Wikileaks, and it won't always be clear which are genuine and which are pushing some other sovereign nation's agenda.

I don't buy this argument. The press is not in a bind. Not unless they are reporting on everything the National Enquirer says too.

They can regard Wikileaks as what it is: a completely unreliable source, often influenced by Russian propaganda.

They are in a bind because a significant portion of the public still views them as a reliable source, and even if biased, unwilling to fake or distribute fake leaks.

As long as the public perception of WL is more trustworthy than the press considers them, there is an issue for them, though how big is another question.

Geez, and who could possibly tell the public they aren't a reliable source? If only there were someone who's job that was...

That was the entire point of what Hakkes posted, though: it is impossible to tell somebody they are unreliable when the fakes are not blatant smoking guns and one side has a vested interest in keeping them credible.

Just because we know WL is unreliable doesn't mean it is possible to magically convince the public of it when 40% of people benefit bigly from believing WL.

It's not impossible though. It's impossible to convince everyone but so what? Some people think the Daily Mail or Fox News are reliable. It's very possible to establish a mainstream narrative that Wikileaks is to be viewed the same way one of these sources is, if anyone wanted to actually try.

Again, Wikileaks simply being viewed as biased would not be enough, because unlike Fox News they actually produce primary documentation. You would have to convince people they are willing to disseminate false documents, which is much harder.

It's not though. You just have to say it and talk about the times they have done it.

It's ridiculous to pretend like a news agency cannot easily comment on the veracity of a source.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

I hope this video helps some of the folks I know who think Johnson and Stein are great candidates (ok thats a lie I dont personally know anyone who thinks Stein is a great candidate.. I knew she was a doctor but christ.. she did internal medicine that makes it even worse regarding the vaxx shit. Do you like HARD science, then internal medicine is the focus for you. )

Hey man, let he who has never run an entire political campaign at a [7] or [8] throw the first stone.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

This is worth remembering. Remember, this is one of the (many) senators who proudly and vocally cast their votes "for" in the 2002 Iraq Resolution.

It's not because that was a centrist position. It's because she, and twenty eight other senators from the institutional "left", were dragged (or perhaps just led) rightward--a classic foreign relations situation--by the efforts of the institutional right, the GOP. For a time, she did not substantially question that decision, as far as I can tell--there was certainly no immediate regret anyway. She strongly cheerleaded the disastrous early years of the occupation-backed government. But in the last one to two years, she's reversed her position--this is part of the greatest leftward shift for Sen. Clinton that I've ever seen from her (though I first came to the United States in 2004). I think the Sen. Clinton of 2003 would've been shocked, or at least very surprised, by the Sen. Clinton of today.

I'll admit I'm not fully familiar with a lot of the subtleties of American party politics, but I can understand a rightward shift of the whole spectrum within a time frame. Were it not for the obvious fact that she was a Democratic First Lady, there are a lot of times where I'm a little surprised that, in her career, Sen. Clinton was not a "centrist" Republican. Dismay and regret over having actively supported the invasion, war and occupation is not something the right often expresses (or even rarely).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I feel like Johnson would be the biggest laughing stock if we didn't have Trump stealing all the limelight.

Nah. The only reason anyone's talking about Johnson in the first place is because Trump is so awful he managed to grab a decent minority of voters. If we didn't have Trump stealing all the limelight Johnson would be doing about the same as 2012--too much of an idiot for the GOP primaries, ends up with a loyal cadre of internet voters and a handful of people who think both major parties are the same and kind of recognize his name.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

and it seems people are very upset with Trump. There are a few supporters here and there, but I was pleasantly surprised with how many people were flat out pointing out his bullshit.

And the first guy on the original tweet from Trump is some guy named Deplorable Francis trying to hock t-shirts. Like, is everyone involved with the Trump campaign trying to grift the populace?

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

Lately I've found left wing independents who don't want to vote for for Hillary among my friends, despite agreeing with many of her opinions, have really started clinging to the theory that Trump is setting this up so Hillary can win. I can't even.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

And the first guy on the original tweet from Trump is some guy named Deplorable Francis trying to hock t-shirts. Like, is everyone involved with the Trump campaign trying to grift the populace?
    Trying to sell stupid t-shirts is not grifting.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Lately I've found left wing independents who don't want to vote for for Hillary among my friends, despite agreeing with many of her opinions, have really started clinging to the theory that Trump is setting this up so Hillary can win. I can't even.

Trump sexually assaulted women in the 80s so that Hillary could win in 2016.

Yep. Makes sense.

• Options
    RVs have Clinton up +7 in NV, +5 in NC. Those are some restrictive LV screens by CNN. But Trump is definitely going to make Ohio close.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

This is worth remembering. Remember, this is one of the (many) senators who proudly and vocally cast their votes "for" in the 2002 Iraq Resolution.

It's not because that was a centrist position. It's because she, and twenty eight other senators from the institutional "left", were dragged (or perhaps just led) rightward--a classic foreign relations situation--by the efforts of the institutional right, the GOP. For a time, she did not substantially question that decision, as far as I can tell--there was certainly no immediate regret anyway. She strongly cheerleaded the disastrous early years of the occupation-backed government. But in the last one to two years, she's reversed her position--this is part of the greatest leftward shift for Sen. Clinton that I've ever seen from her (though I first came to the United States in 2004). I think the Sen. Clinton of 2003 would've been shocked, or at least very surprised, by the Sen. Clinton of today.

I'll admit I'm not fully familiar with a lot of the subtleties of American party politics, but I can understand a rightward shift of the whole spectrum within a time frame. Were it not for the obvious fact that she was a Democratic First Lady, there are a lot of times where I'm a little surprised that, in her career, Sen. Clinton was not a "centrist" Republican. Dismay and regret over having actively supported the invasion, war and occupation is not something the right often expresses (or even rarely).

The right go further than that with their extremist views in the GOP. For instance, their "moderate" would be a conservative Democrat. This is why W. is considered a moderate in his party.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Trying to sell stupid t-shirts is not grifting.

Isn't it though?

Community_Grifting101.jpg

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

Yep. Makes sense.

He ordered his campaign not to do oppo research on himself. So a case could be made he was willing to self immolate.

Not a very good one, but...

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Subjects that are now considered off topic:

Ken Bone
    The NC attack
    Drop bears

Why do the mainstream moderators not want us to discuss the greatest threat to our republic? Are they in the pockets of Big Eucalyptus?

This forum is rigged, rigged I tell you!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Yep. Makes sense.

Contrasted with Obama's apparently prescient parents...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Also be prepared for the pundits to talk about how Trump "won" the debate, because he has set the bar so incredibly low and pundits can't help themselves but to grade on a curve (because it create's a horse race narrative).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

What they believe that Trump is a benevolent man and shooting himself in the foot(no lets go with face) in order to make sure Hillary gets elected. wow.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Also be prepared for the pundits to talk about how Trump "won" the debate, because he has set the bar so incredibly low and pundits can't help themselves but to grade on a curve (because it create's a horse race narrative).

That prediction is bound to be right eventually

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    what has wikileaks put out that we know was fake? I have only followed them in as much as you can't follow this election without being somewhat aware who they are

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Today in "Republicans who want both sides to view them as mealy-mouthed cowards."

Absalon on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Subjects that are now considered off topic:

Ken Bone
    The NC attack
    Drop bears

*deletes 500 word post*

so then, when's the next debate?

Third and final debate is Wednesday evening, hosted by Chris Wallace. Topics are:

Debt and entitlements - Whether Clinton Foundation donors felt entitled to call in favors
    Immigration - How many rapes are we willing to allow in order to let a bunch of terrorists in?
    Economy - Why did Democrats cause the 2008 crash?
    Supreme Court - Did Secretary Clinton have knowledge of the murder of Scalia or was she too busy killing babies?
    Foreign hot spots - Benghazi
    Fitness to be President - Emails

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    And speaking of Arizona

Edit: Looks like there might also be a Texas ad buy as well, but right now all I've seen is a tweet about an unsubstantiated rumor from an aide, so let's not get too excited yet. It'd make sense though--both of the Texas polls from October give Trump a single digit lead.

I'm going to AZ next week and mmm MMMmmmMMM it would be so fucking delicious if AZ was like, reliably light blue for like a week, so I could be insufferably and justifiably smug

ugh...so delicious, like authentic mexican food

Bernie and Chelsea are going to be there this week too and Kaine is doing local TV interviews

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.