Options

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Switchii

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Wii was a good name for the Wii, and for the marketing "Wii would like to play" tag line. However the WiiU should have been named differently. Whether or not it would have improved the sales or not I couldn't say, but it needed to differentiate more.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I don't see myself carrying the Switch with me every day but that doesn't mean its portability won't be useful. The freedom to play it in any room in the house or take it to a friend's place is going to be nice.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I watched some tournament game play of splatoon at work the other day on account of seeing it in the switch reveal, and I have to say it looks fascinating. If splatoon is on the switch I'm definitely interested in getting into it. I haven't played a multiplayer shooter since black ops 1 because the entire genre felt stale. But... Splatoon.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    I watched some tournament game play of splatoon at work the other day on account of seeing it in the switch reveal, and I have to say it looks fascinating. If splatoon is on the switch I'm definitely interested in getting into it. I haven't played a multiplayer shooter since black ops 1 because the entire genre felt stale. But... Splatoon.

It's the only competitive shooter I've been able to get into for more than a few rounds. I'm not hardcore about it, but I come back to it every couple of months.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Overwatch is getting pretty popular..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Not a big shooter fan but the more the better

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Since they're showing off that you can play a five year old game on this thing, does that mean we'll have DS/3DS on a tv finally?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Since they're showing off that you can play a five year old game on this thing, does that mean we'll have DS/3DS on a tv finally?

We have DS games on TV already

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I know there's all kinds of speculation on WiiU games getting the port/remaster treatment on Switch, but I'd love for them to do the same on some of the better 3DS games. Specifically, the 3DS Zelda games.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The 3DS Zelda games being A Link Between worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and Hyrule Warriors Legends, right?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    There were the N64 remasters too.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The 3DS Zelda games being A Link Between worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and Hyrule Warriors Legends, right?

No, the actual Zelda games (ALBW, OOT, MM). I don't really care what they do with the spin-offs.

The OOT/MM ports should look great rendered in HD.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    8-4 Play 10/21/2016: SWITCHEROO
    Switching it up a bit with an emergency podcast all about Nintendo’s surprise console announcement.

Some notes:

"Nvidia updated their page because Nvidia made whatever graphics are in the thing and they described it as scale able. So its probably when you have it in its handheld mode its 720p and when its docked it scales."

(Talk about how the Joy Con Grip more than likely charges the smaller Joy Con controllers that split off because there are lights on the side that come on when they are slid into the larger Joy Con Grip unit)

When they were talking about who the target audience for Switch is it struck me that this system does pose an interesting dilemma for families: one kid takes the system out of the dock and plays with it mobile and there is nothing left for everyone else back home.

Apparently when the Joy Con controllers are split off they have two triggers in addition to the four face buttons.

Most of the shows co hosts were guessing Mario and Zelda at launch, which I think sounds plausible given the length of time since Super Mario 3D World.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    CvcVsCEW8AACfIR.jpg
    CveG0StWgAE7v0N.jpg
    CvYqpk1WEAAb2IC.jpg:large

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Einzel wrote: »

I've heard they're making a remastered Skyrim? So I imagine we were seeing that, not a port of the original game as is.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    We know the output? I think 1080p is norm but they say anything about 4k? I would think unlikely given the switching thing but haven't paid attention to the specifics.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited October 2016
      TimFiji wrote: »
      We know the output? I think 1080p is norm but they say anything about 4k? I would think unlikely given the switching thing but haven't paid attention to the specifics.

Not even the Scorpio or PS4 pro are doing 4k (gaming), so I would highly doubt it for the Switch. If they can do smooth 1080p I'd be happy.

(I say, even though I have a SD tube TV still.)

ArcSyn on
      4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      That_Guy wrote: »
      So, based on that video it seems they're targeting millennials with the Switch. It also seems like they're trying to make the switch a "go anywhere do anything" console. The problem I see here is that most of us already have a smartphone or tablet that can already to everything the switch is advertising is SOME way or another. Plus, a tablet/smartphone can do A LOT more that we didn't see. There's already rumors circulating that it's a 720p non-touch display. In all likelihood, there's going to be no cellular radio of any kind leaving you with wifi and BT only. It probably won't even have tethering support.

My career in IT has exposed me to the entire broad spectrum of technology consumer. I've noticed a trend across most of my clientele. No one wants to carry around more devices than they have to. Say you present someone with 2 scenarios. One where they carry around one devices that's good enough at everything they want to do, or another with 2 specialized devices that will do the job BETTER. They'll pick the one device EVERY SINGLE TIME.

All of this leaves me with some final questions that Nintendo is going to have to answer for. Can the switch replace a smartphone/tablet? If it can't, is Nintendo's IP strong enough to gain market share by itself. Based on the lack of success with the WiiU I worry the answer to both of these is no.

If I were some executive at Nintendo, I would take a hard look at the ecosystem around me. I would look at the success of Pokemon Go. I would look at the recent blunders from Apple (headphone jack) and Samsung (explosions) and see a vacuum in the marketplace. The Nintendo Switch needs to be a full-fledged entry into the smartphone market. Give the Switch a touchscreen, app marketplace, cellular/gps radios, phone/VoIP calling AND Nintendo's IP backing it up. You would be looking at an unstoppable force that would cement Nintendo in the 21st century economy. They could go from a toy company to a full-fledged industrial powerhouse like Microsoft.

I want to see good things from Nintendo. I'm worried that this Japanese philosophy of sticking to something way past its viability is going to hurt them.

I think people are forgetting that the 3DS is a thing and the existence of smart phones hasn't torpedoed it.

Other than the fact that sales are way down compared to the DS. Honestly, smartphones are probably a big reason why Nintendo's doing Switch, since portables won't inherently sell like crazy anymore.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »

Not even the Scorpio or PS4 pro are doing 4k, so I would highly doubt it for the Switch. If they can do smooth 1080p I'd be happy.

Ohhhhh I thought those upgrades were doing 4k. I don't really mind. I think 1080p looks sexy.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        edited October 2016

Not even the Scorpio or PS4 pro are doing 4k, so I would highly doubt it for the Switch. If they can do smooth 1080p I'd be happy.

Ohhhhh I thought those upgrades were doing 4k. I don't really mind. I think 1080p looks sexy.

They will support 4k video playback from what I've read, but games will be upscaled instead of native resolution. I could be mistaken, but I've been trying to keep up on it reading Ars.

Edit: Yeah, just looked it up. Most XBO & PS4 games run at 720/900 native resolution and upscale to 1080. The new versions should allow for native 1080 and upscale to 4k. Unlikely to be native 4k.

ArcSyn on
        4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • Options
        KupiKupi Registered User regular
        Regarding battery life, I'm reminded of the fact that battery life is as much a function of the software as it is the hardware. I could totally see the hardware interrupt for "changed from dock to mobile" going ignored by third-party developers or indies who don't know better and either burning shitloads of battery or tanking the performance (because they're not working around the underclock). On the other hand, that seems like the kind of thing that would get caught in certification, so maybe it's not so much of a concern as I'm thinking it is.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
      • Options
        OptyOpty Registered User regular

They will support 4k video playback from what I've read, but games will be upscaled instead of native resolution. I could be mistaken, but I've been trying to keep up on it reading Ars.

Edit: Yeah, just looked it up. Most XBO & PS4 games run at 720/900 native resolution and upscale to 1080. The new versions should allow for native 1080 and upscale to 4k. Unlikely to be native 4k.

The Xbox One S supports native 4K output for Blu-Rays and streaming video while everything else is upscaled. Most games on the Xbox One upscale from 900p as you mention but in some cases--like Halo 5--they use a dynamic resolution so it fluctuates all over the place while you're playing.
        The Scorpio's intended to add on native 4K for games to the console's 4K repertoire but we'll see if that's actually what ends up happening when they release it or if they miss the mark
        The normal PS4 was recently updated to support HDR for gaming but no games support HDR yet, so that's an empty feature right now. It's also more powerful than the Xbox One so its games are more likely to be running in proper 1080p.
        The PS4 Pro's not doing 4K gaming but it will be able to do above 1080p gaming (something like 1440p). It will also support 4K video, but not 4K Blu-Ray

If I had my choice I'd make the Switch support HDR well before even thinking about 4K as I believe HDR's worth much more than a higher resolution.

• Options
        Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
        cloudeagle wrote: »
        So, based on that video it seems they're targeting millennials with the Switch. It also seems like they're trying to make the switch a "go anywhere do anything" console. The problem I see here is that most of us already have a smartphone or tablet that can already to everything the switch is advertising is SOME way or another. Plus, a tablet/smartphone can do A LOT more that we didn't see. There's already rumors circulating that it's a 720p non-touch display. In all likelihood, there's going to be no cellular radio of any kind leaving you with wifi and BT only. It probably won't even have tethering support.

My career in IT has exposed me to the entire broad spectrum of technology consumer. I've noticed a trend across most of my clientele. No one wants to carry around more devices than they have to. Say you present someone with 2 scenarios. One where they carry around one devices that's good enough at everything they want to do, or another with 2 specialized devices that will do the job BETTER. They'll pick the one device EVERY SINGLE TIME.

All of this leaves me with some final questions that Nintendo is going to have to answer for. Can the switch replace a smartphone/tablet? If it can't, is Nintendo's IP strong enough to gain market share by itself. Based on the lack of success with the WiiU I worry the answer to both of these is no.

If I were some executive at Nintendo, I would take a hard look at the ecosystem around me. I would look at the success of Pokemon Go. I would look at the recent blunders from Apple (headphone jack) and Samsung (explosions) and see a vacuum in the marketplace. The Nintendo Switch needs to be a full-fledged entry into the smartphone market. Give the Switch a touchscreen, app marketplace, cellular/gps radios, phone/VoIP calling AND Nintendo's IP backing it up. You would be looking at an unstoppable force that would cement Nintendo in the 21st century economy. They could go from a toy company to a full-fledged industrial powerhouse like Microsoft.

I want to see good things from Nintendo. I'm worried that this Japanese philosophy of sticking to something way past its viability is going to hurt them.

I think people are forgetting that the 3DS is a thing and the existence of smart phones hasn't torpedoed it.

Other than the fact that sales are way down compared to the DS. Honestly, smartphones are probably a big reason why Nintendo's doing Switch, since portables won't inherently sell like crazy anymore.

You keep saying that, but it's not really true. I mean yeah, the 3DS didn't sell as well as the DS, but given that the DS was the most successful video game system of all time, that's not really surprising. 60 million units sold in 5 years is still pretty good, and software sales are still strong. The 3DS has something like 50 games that sold more than 1 million copies - that's insanely good.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      • Options
        Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
        Maz- wrote: »

You keep saying that, but it's not really true. I mean yeah, the 3DS didn't sell as well as the DS, but given that the DS was the most successful video game system of all time, that's not really surprising. 60 million units sold in 5 years is still pretty good, and software sales are still strong. The 3DS has something like 50 games that sold more than 1 million copies - that's insanely good.

Yeah the DS was a once in a lifetime event. Not doing as well as the DS isn't a failure.

The 3ds is an interesting case though in that it did initially struggle. Probably due to the initial price.

Anyway on the concept of Switch as a phone type system I just don't see it. Putting aside software to make a device that combines the gameplay the Switch offers with the functionality of a phone you need the physical controlls avalible in a way thats unobtrusive and pocketable. Not to mention being energy efficient.

As is I can deffinitely see the comparison with a tablet but I think it's it's own thing. Someone made a good point that the presence of phones and tablets that can be used to read a book haven't eliminated the superior experience of reading on the Kindle.

• Options
        DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

But not according to stockholders! According to stockholders it has to be the biggest and best selling thing ever always ever every time or it's a failure! A dirty, stinking failure that should never have been made!

:P

• Options
        Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
        What studio does everyone think is going to knock it out of the park on this? Who's going to be the switch hitter?

No I don't.
      • Options
        glithertglithert Registered User regular
        I don't think Nintendo is interested in rebooting the N-Gage

• Options
        Yeah, the 3DS has been successful in terms of units sold and software sold. It's only a failure when compared to the success of the DS. By that logic, every console has been a failure since the PS2.

• Options
        TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
        glithert wrote: »
        I don't think Nintendo is interested in rebooting the N-Gage

A nice joke, but let's be real, what technology is capable of, how willing to adapt cell phone providers are, and a whole bunch of other things make a phone-gaming console hybrid much more viable and enticing now than when the N-Gage graced us with its taco-filled presence.
        Dirty wrote: »
        Yeah, the 3DS has been successful in terms of units sold and software sold. It's only a failure when compared to the success of the DS. By that logic, every console has been a failure since the PS2.

I understand in terms of numbers that the DS was very successful, and remember practically everyone I know owning one by the time I got to college, but I so distinctly remember that first year it was released where Feel the Magic XX XY of all things was considered a "big" title, and how clunky my original DS was, that thinking of the DS as a success is still a bit odd. The original DS and DSlite almost feel like they should be considered different consoles because of the disparity between their reign.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
        Let's Plays of Japanese Games
      • Options
        RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
        A Nintendo phone?

"You want voice chat? Fine, here's your voice chat. Long distance rates apply."

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
      • Options
        eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        I for one have bought the 3DS three times because of Zelda edition models(I missed the MM one though, was super broke at the time) yet still only own less than 10 games for it. I know I am missing out on a ton of great games. I will get the Switch and likely play it at home more than on the go, but I could see the portability being useful from time to time. Even if its just giving up the TV so someone can watch something and retreating to the bedroom, something you can ostensibly do with the Wii U but the Wii U connection is terribad and loses sync with the console just one room over. This not needing to sync with the dock at all fixes that problem.

(She/Her)
      • Options
        BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
        we have discovered that there was a potential for people to use the switch's phone functionality to talk to children so we have removed that feature

CD World Tour status:
        Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      • Options
        DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
        A Nintendo phone?

"You want voice chat? Fine, here's your voice chat. Long distance rates apply."

"Nintendo is proud to announce its partnership with AT&T-"

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

• Options
        PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
        BlueBlue wrote: »
        we have discovered that there was a potential for people to use the switch's phone functionality to talk to children so we have removed that feature

Nintendo's philosophy towards online communication seems to have been the result of someone going into CoD on XBox and nopeing out after 5 minutes.

Steam: Polaritie
        3DS: 0473-8507-2652
        Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
        PSN: AbEntropy
      • Options
        RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
        BlueBlue wrote: »

But I was just calling my son.....

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
      • Options
        TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
        I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Nintendo cooked something up so that select mobile games are playable on the NS. They have their partnership with DeNA, GungHo is signed on as a third party and has worked with them before, they have their own foray onto mobile with Mario Run, and there are definitely mobile games that could really benefit from having a real controller to work with (so many RPGs that got ported to mobile/vita). The issue would probably be that you would need to be connected to wifi to play anything that requires communication to a server.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
      • Options
        EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
        I'd wager that it'll have no phone capability, but the screen will have wireless so it'll piggy back on the phone you already have in your pocket. That way you can play Real Games™ online and on the go.

• Options
        MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
        If there's no motion control on this thing then fuck it, I'm in no hurry. I really love using the gyro to aim especially in Splatoon. Not having that would make it a jank-fest.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        edited October 2016

But the thing is, the BIG drop still happened, and there's no other explanation as to why. Especially since Nintendo reversed the price problem so quickly. And at the same time, the Vita bombed. Half the audience simply vanished, and that trend seems like it could continue. Yes, 60 million is good, but the trend is worrysome. That's why Nintendo figured they should do something different. That's a big reason why we're getting Switch.

cloudeagle on
        Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      This discussion has been closed.