Options

This Presidential Election is no Forza Horizon 3

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I haven't heard from a single person irl on the right who is cool with the rhetoric from Trump.

Frankly..that's a load of bullshit; they're lying to themselves and/or to you. Republicans have, up until today, been perfectly fine with Trump's rhetoric. They've supported policies directly in line with it for nearly 4 decades. It just wasn't ever quite so..on the nose before..and that's their real problem. Instead of a vanilla, mostly harmless old white dude dropping platitudes with veiled meanings, it's a raging moron giving away the entire game and who's drawing a very harsh light to their rotten as fuck platform.

The same people holding their nose for trump will go right back to supporting the insanely regressive platform next round.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

This is what happens when not only do you support a candidate, but you start taking legal advice from him.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This is the fucking nominee, it's not fringe.

The Republican party and nominee are where they are because they are only listening to their fringe. It's a sham of a party right now that does not represent the right that I know. And I'm from Alabama.

The only people on the right that I know irl that are gonna vote Trump think it's a necessary evil because of the Supreme Court nominations. The majority of them are not gonna vote Trump at all. I haven't heard from a single person irl on the right who is cool with the rhetoric from Trump.

And yet the vast majority of Republicans and Republican Leaning Independents will be voting/have voted for Trump.

• Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    Well, I don't know about the rest of the country, but 41% of NC voters think Hillary is the devil.
    Or at least it would have been had not Public Policy Polling, a North Carolina-based polling firm, brought it back to life. On Tuesday, PPP released a poll that, in addition to showing Clinton leading Trump in North Carolina for the first time since March, found that fully 41 percent of the state’s likely Trump voters believe the Democratic presidential nominee to be the literal incarnation of Satan. “Do you think Hillary Clinton is the Devil, or not?” read question 21 of PPP’s survey, which 830 hapless denizens of the Tar Heel State dutifully answered.

Why do they assume they're hapless?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2016/10/breitbart-liberal-activist-230255#ixzz4O3KlZGxq
    Aaron Black, an associate with Democracy Partners and a former Occupy Wall Street organizer, worked with the pro-Trump site Breitbart, tipping it off about his stunts, exchanging raw video and coordinating coverage, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Black has resurfaced recently as one of the people featured in undercover video from the Project Veritas group. In the video, he claims to work for the Democratic National Committee. Though he does not appear on their payroll, his bio at Democracy Partners credits him with "working closely with the Democratic National Committee" during the 2012 election cycle. Black in the video says he helped organize violent protests in Chicago that led to Trump's cancellation of a rally there in March.

According to the source, Black coordinated with Breitbart via email, phone and in person, including when he dressed up as a robot and trolled Marco Rubio’s events. The relationship was described as very friendly. An article subsequently published on Breitbart featured video footage of a physical confrontation between Black and Rubio's New Hampshire campaign chairman.

"He worked directly with Breitbart’s political team on the ground in the primary states to sabotage Marco Rubio & Ted Cruz, and elect Trump as nominee of [the Republican] party,” the source told POLITICO. “[Black] was coordinating with [Breitbart’s] top staff to rabble rouse against Rubio at rallies."

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about unopposed races on the ballot? If it's not someone I'm familiar with, I usually just neglect to vote on that race.

Oh also I voted today. Please clap.

I'm not thrilled by them, but I appreciate a fully staffed government more.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That's just delicious.
    This is the guy you chose. This guy, right here.
    Nothing wrong with the party at all... newp, we're fine, everythings fine here now, how are you?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Aridhol wrote: »
    That's just delicious.
    This is the guy you chose. This guy, right here.
    Nothing wrong with the party at all... newp, we're fine, everythings fine here now, how are you?

I'm super, thanks for asking.

Priest on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

The Republican party and nominee are where they are because they are only listening to their fringe. It's a sham of a party right now that does not represent the right that I know. And I'm from Alabama.

The only people on the right that I know irl that are gonna vote Trump think it's a necessary evil because of the Supreme Court nominations. The majority of them are not gonna vote Trump at all. I haven't heard from a single person irl on the right who is cool with the rhetoric from Trump.

And yet the vast majority of Republicans and Republican Leaning Independents will be voting/have voted for Trump.

Man the supreme court nominations thing pisses me right the hell off too. THAT'S NOT EVEN HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK, JUST GO CONFIRM GARLAND LIKE AN ACTUAL LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT WOULD.

I can only pray the fivethirtyeight forecast is right and we take the senate, because it is about damn time the GOP reaps what they've sown.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    so... this is the same guy who used the same techniques to create the planned parenthood video, which seems like it at least helped encourage an act of domestic terrorism that resulted in several deaths?

so, there's a bunch of liberals here.

i am not the only one with a fair amount of anger and disgust that the right is supporting this person again, and spreading his now even more obvious lies, right? kinda ensuring that he will continue to make this stuff, which he is probably being compensated for, by members of the right.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Hearing the Keepin it 1600 guys talk about the Wikileaks email leak is really fascinating (particularly because Jon Lovett's emails are actually in the leak).

They've jokingly danced around it a couple times on the podcast, but it definitely sounds like all the emails are pretty much real and unaltered. At the same time, having actually worked in that environment they find it hilarious how sinisterly people try to spin what are actually totally innocuous emails.
    Which episode?

Most recent episode:

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    Well, I don't know about the rest of the country, but 41% of NC voters think Hillary is the devil.
    Or at least it would have been had not Public Policy Polling, a North Carolina-based polling firm, brought it back to life. On Tuesday, PPP released a poll that, in addition to showing Clinton leading Trump in North Carolina for the first time since March, found that fully 41 percent of the state’s likely Trump voters believe the Democratic presidential nominee to be the literal incarnation of Satan. “Do you think Hillary Clinton is the Devil, or not?” read question 21 of PPP’s survey, which 830 hapless denizens of the Tar Heel State dutifully answered.

Why do they assume they're hapless?

Most likely due to their extreme lack of hap.

Also, apropos of nothing, this: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-supporters-think-minorities-have-too-much-influence-polling-says-deplorable-151d0038b50a#.om9f7r5a6

Yeah yeah think progress is a totally liberal rag and all, but they cite polls and stuff.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    James O'keefe is actual human filth. He's an "ends justify the means" type and the ends he wants are as filthy as the means.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I've acknowledged that non-violent protest has its place, but also pointed out that, imo, literal goading for the purposes and intent of causing violence isn't good.

Here's the thing, though - your opinion runs contrary to the historical record. One of the strongest ways that the civil rights movement shifted the public view in their favor was through the images of Bull Connor unleashing the firehoses and dogs on protestors who were only showing their organization in favor of civil rights. And the protestors knew that response was to be expected, which was part of why they did it. The point of going there and making themselves targets is to show how far gone Trump's base of support is - that they will respond to even the base demonstration of dissent with violence, which is inimical to democracy.

As for your right leaning friends upset about the "provocation" of violence, my point is that perhaps they should be asking themselves what it means when a faction sees peaceful protest as incitement to violence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I remain unconvinced that 41% of the people in that poll literally think Hillary is Satan, versus them being metaphorical, or just having funsies.

If I answered a survey that asked if Trump was the devil, I would be strongly tempted to say yes.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options

Man the supreme court nominations thing pisses me right the hell off too. THAT'S NOT EVEN HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK, JUST GO CONFIRM GARLAND LIKE AN ACTUAL LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT WOULD.

I can only pray the fivethirtyeight forecast is right and we take the senate, because it is about damn time the GOP reaps what they've sown.

They think RBG doesn't have another 4-8 years left in her.

They're probably right. :(

• Options
    I do honestly wonder whether or not the GOP survives this election.

The demographics really don't look good for them: over time the country is only going to get more Democrat-leaning from here. I don't know what they do to grow their base without alienating the deplorables.

• Options
    Double-down on religious issues that appeal to latino and black voters, I guess.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

The demographics really don't look good for them: over time the country is only going to get more Democrat-leaning from here. I don't know what they do to grow their base without alienating the deplorables.

They'll be fine

They'll come back in 4 years with the exact same game plan as this year only more 'polite'

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I remain unconvinced that 41% of the people in that poll literally think Hillary is Satan, versus them being metaphorical, or just having funsies.

If I answered a survey that asked if Trump was the devil, I would be strongly tempted to say yes.

Given the outsized proportion of Evangelicals in the subgroup of self identified Republicans, and after talking about weird stuff that friends grew up with on the far side of Christianity...I honestly don't know.

Side note, some of you Protestants are weird. Like the Church has its oddities, but damn.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think there may be a degree of talking past each other here. If you don't think that O'Keffe is a reputable source, than what exactly, is your argument here @ObiFett ? Are you just playing devil's advocate?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I can say unequivocally that I would answer yes

There's temptation and then there's, "Well of course I'm going to do this thing"

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The republican party is going to have to very seriously reorganize their entire structure and platform to remain competitive on a presidential scale.

Or, continue in their current course but also find a fascist that's more palatable than Trump with less baggage and who is better able to cover the fascism with your standard politickin dogwhistle bullshit.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    BN-PL883_ducks_G_20160818165355.jpg

Oh my God! They're saying the Clinton campaign is responsible for that?! GodfuckingDAMMIT I would expect something like that from the Trump campaign but FFS the Clinton campaign should be better than that. They should know there's an apostrophe after that K!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Spoit wrote: »
    Honestly, I think there may be a degree of talking past each other here. If you don't think that O'Keffe is a reputable source, than what exactly, is your argument here @ObiFett ? Are you just playing devil's advocate?

He's not. Everybody else is.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

They'll be fine

They'll come back in 4 years with the exact same game plan as this year only more 'polite'

That's bad news for them, though. It's hard to tell this election because Trump is an unmitigated disaster, but the demographics are just plain starting to favor Democrats due to increasing latino population and a shift towards Democrat in the younger generations. If they just keep playing the same game they've been playing, they'll continue to lose presidential elections (though retain an advantage in local/midterms), and it only gets worse for them moving forward.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Satan make very coherent arguments in Job.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Given the outsized proportion of Evangelicals in the subgroup of self identified Republicans, and after talking about weird stuff that friends grew up with on the far side of Christianity...I honestly don't know.

Side note, some of you Protestants are weird. Like the Church has its oddities, but damn.

I like being a weird Protestant. Somebody needs to be covertly liberal, slowly converting the younger ranks of the church towards progressive thinking.

Really though, I think the Protestants that are voting against helping people, radical love, acceptance, and voting for being wildly judgmental against genders, nationalities, ethnicities and sexual orientations are the ones that are weird. If you're a Christian and you vote for Trump you don't really get it, IMO.

• Options

-
    They'll be fine

That's bad news for them, though. It's hard to tell this election because Trump is an unmitigated disaster, but the demographics are just plain starting to favor Democrats due to increasing latino population and a shift towards Democrat in the younger generations. If they just keep playing the same game they've been playing, they'll continue to lose presidential elections (though retain an advantage in local/midterms), and it only gets worse for them moving forward.

If they can retain local control through 2020 they can easily counteract demographics through policy long enough for the national party to find a message that resonates with non-deplorables without depressing their base.

• Options
    The republican party is going to have to very seriously reorganize their entire structure and platform to remain competitive on a presidential scale.

Or, continue in their current course but also find a fascist that's more palatable than Trump with less baggage and who is better able to cover the fascism with your standard politickin dogwhistle bullshit.

I get the strong feeling that there is going to be a rebound against the whole fascism thing after Trump loses. If someone tries to run in the same manner but smarter I think it's possible you could sink him with Trump comparisons, definitely in the primary where the GOP establishment is going to be far more vigilant moving forward.

• Options
    Looking at this from a political perspective, has there been any modern country that has successfully walked back certain rights after they've been won, without a revolution occurring beforehand?

Like, sure, Iran went super Theocracy, but it required a revolution and walked back a bunch of rights, but has any democracy ever done so? That's what I don't get about the conservative party and gay rights, abortion, etc. Like, I can't think of a single instance where the genie was put back in the lamp. About the only example I can actually think of is Duterte right now, but he's bypassed the democracy/legislation part completely and just gone full Stalin.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

-
    They'll be fine

If they can retain local control through 2020 they can easily counteract demographics through policy long enough for the national party to find a message that resonates with non-deplorables without depressing their base.

I shrug since I just don't see what that message is yet. Almost certainly, they'll have to move left somehow.

One thing that excited me was that apparently once he's out of a job Obama's going to shift his focus onto aggressive targeted redistricting campaigns that should help Dems with the local stuff.

The idea of an Obama unleashed from the presidency continues to hype me up. If there's anyone who can summon voters to polls, it's him. I hope he pushes the midterm elections as hard as possible.

• Options

I like being a weird Protestant. Somebody needs to be covertly liberal, slowly converting the younger ranks of the church towards progressive thinking.

Really though, I think the Protestants that are voting against helping people, radical love, acceptance, and voting for being wildly judgmental against genders, nationalities, ethnicities and sexual orientations are the ones that are weird. If you're a Christian and you vote for Trump you don't really get it, IMO.

I'm meaning more weird like 'spiritual combat' where angels and demons "literally" battle each other over their ability to influence you throughout the day. Not just the banal 'The Pope is the Antichrist stuff.'

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Priest wrote: »
    Looking at this from a political perspective, has there been any modern country that has successfully walked back certain rights after they've been won, without a revolution occurring beforehand?

Like, sure, Iran went super Theocracy, but it required a revolution and walked back a bunch of rights, but has any democracy ever done so? That's what I don't get about the conservative party and gay rights, abortion, etc. Like, I can't think of a single instance where the genie was put back in the lamp. About the only example I can actually think of is Duterte right now, but he's bypassed the democracy/legislation part completely and just gone full Stalin.

Yes, America and abortion rights. Access now is significantly worse than 10-15 years ago. Same with voting rights.*

E: Voting rights have improved in some areas thanks to improved early/mail-in voting, but been degraded significantly in other areas by striking down the VRA and voter-ID/registration purges.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

I'm meaning more weird like 'spiritual combat' where angels and demons "literally" battle each other over their ability to influence you throughout the day. Not just the banal 'The Pope is the Antichrist stuff.'

...What. That's... what. No. That's not... what.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's a great pun. 100% worth subverting democracy by the heinous act of dressing up as a disney character.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Oh my God! They're saying the Clinton campaign is responsible for that?! GodfuckingDAMMIT I would expect something like that from the Trump campaign but FFS the Clinton campaign should be better than that. They should know there's an apostrophe after that K!

What? Why would there be an apostrophe? They aren't saying "Donald Duck is releasing his tax returns." They saying that Donald (Trump) ducks (is avoiding) releasing his tax returns. It's just a pun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

That's a great pun. 100% worth subverting democracy by the heinous act of dressing up as a disney character.

He's not dressed up as a Disney character, he's just a duck, mocking Donald Trump.

Because Donald is DUCKing releasing his tax returns.

So the lack of apostrophe is actually appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.