Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Captain Marvel trailer needs more The Clash at Demonhead.
    Oh yeah?
    Oh yeah!
    OH YEAAAHHH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrmWnFAHYE

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Have they ever shown anything as fake and bad looking before?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I just went to the YouTube link, and the page says it's fan-made.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Good. I sure hope it is.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    honovere wrote: »

Captain America

1bptuk_zpsq4cqxexr.gif

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Captain America

1bptuk_zpsq4cqxexr.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8A4CoKiAsc

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the guy interviewing simmons was garrus

She should have asked him about the calibrations of the machine that would have gotten her out of it

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    the guy interviewing simmons was garrus

She should have asked him about the calibrations of the machine that would have gotten her out of it

I don't know. Simmons is flexible enough to spin that yarn, but that agent had better reach.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

the Captain Marvel one? I don't see that anywhere...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Forar wrote: »
    Nobody said it was a perfect 1:1 comparison.

X-Men 2 had a gag equating being a mutant with being gay. "Have you tried... not being a mutant?"

X-Men 1 made that exact argument about 'walking weapons'; people with superhuman powers being equivalent to guns in schools.

Yes, when one dude can turn into living steel and survive a nuke and farts a deadly ultra toxin that kills within seconds, sure, that's a reason to be concerned if you see him going into a Chipotle. But the contrast is generally more that these people are hunted not because of what they've *done*, but what they *could do*. They are judged guilty simply by existing.

The minority comparison also exists with some mutants 'passing' for non-mutant (ie; most of the X-Men except Beast when he's being a furry blue dog thing) and others being obvious (crab claws for hands or translucent skin or whatever).

Luke is known for being bulletproof and exceptionally strong, but he's not going to just 'go off' and destroy city blocks in a few seconds. He's dangerous one on one, or in a crowd, or if he decided to just start tearing into support structures of a building, but he's pretty low end for dangerous compared to hypothetical 'migraine nukes a city', or Kilgrave. He's a brick, and it's not exactly something he hides.

Luke Cage is less dangerous to the public than a guy with an automatic weapon and a bunch of ammo

Sure Luke is harder to take down, but he has to physically catch you

Cottonmouth was demonstrably more dangerous to the people of Harlem for example

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2016

X-Men 2 had a gag equating being a mutant with being gay. "Have you tried... not being a mutant?"

X-Men 1 made that exact argument about 'walking weapons'; people with superhuman powers being equivalent to guns in schools.

Yes, when one dude can turn into living steel and survive a nuke and farts a deadly ultra toxin that kills within seconds, sure, that's a reason to be concerned if you see him going into a Chipotle. But the contrast is generally more that these people are hunted not because of what they've *done*, but what they *could do*. They are judged guilty simply by existing.

The minority comparison also exists with some mutants 'passing' for non-mutant (ie; most of the X-Men except Beast when he's being a furry blue dog thing) and others being obvious (crab claws for hands or translucent skin or whatever).

Luke is known for being bulletproof and exceptionally strong, but he's not going to just 'go off' and destroy city blocks in a few seconds. He's dangerous one on one, or in a crowd, or if he decided to just start tearing into support structures of a building, but he's pretty low end for dangerous compared to hypothetical 'migraine nukes a city', or Kilgrave. He's a brick, and it's not exactly something he hides.

Luke Cage is less dangerous to the public than a guy with an automatic weapon and a bunch of ammo

Luke's street level, an Enhanced less powerful than him has bought down governments.

avengers-age-ultron-image-gallery-captain-america.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I think the common theme regarding superpowered threats is that one way or another, regular people are helpless against them. Either their effectively unstoppable (Luke Cage can't destroy a city, but if he's after you, all you can do is run) or their offensive power is off the charts (Cyclops isn't bulletproof, but he can eyeball a building into rubble).

There's probably something interesting you could do there because a similar situation applies when talking about police and their various (mundane and legal) powers. You can't run, they have the resources to catch you eventually, and you can't fight, because even if you survive odds are the situation will only have gotten worse for you.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    That Captain Marvel footage looked super fake and I'm pretty sure had clips from Independence Day added to it.

Yeah, that Spider-Man thing at least looked vaguely plausible. The Captain Marvel thing looked like 100% ass top to bottom.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Seven episodes into Luke Cage. If you aren't using quality headphones or a good sound system when watching this, you're really missing something important. The use of music (and the music itself) is out of this world.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I have one episode to go with Luke Cage.

I feel comfortable nominating Diamondback as the worst MCU villain. Every single thing about him is just awful, from the dialogue to the performance to the basic logic of why he does stuff. Guys like Ronan were boring and one-note, but at least I didn't groan every time they were on screen.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Seven episodes into Luke Cage. If you aren't using quality headphones or a good sound system when watching this, you're really missing something important. The use of music (and the music itself) is out of this world.

If you like the music in the first place. It just stuck out for me as there.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    This wrote: »

If you like the music in the first place. It just stuck out for me as there.

The music is phenomenal. Always good to learn about new artists, and every one so far has been awesome.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So that Captain Marvel trailer is fake. It was originally made by TrolleySmasher on Youtube. Someone then took that Fan-Made Trailer and uploaded it as a cellphone footage.

• Options
    So that Captain Marvel trailer is fake. It was originally made by TrolleySmasher on Youtube. Someone then took that Fan-Made Trailer and uploaded it as a cellphone footage.

How disappointing.

• Options

How disappointing.

I'm glad that it was fake because God Damn how confusing and shitty it looked.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Now I'm even more confused, because while a guy named TrolleySmasher made a fake Captain Marvel trailer, it ain't the one we just watched...

https://youtu.be/ttaLyTSmytE

I mean, I'm ready to believe it's fake since no one at ComicCon is talking about it, but not from that specific guy?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    When I get to my computer I'll try to find where I saw it, but that was the info I could find.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I wish I could watch more of this, but I've been listening to Taika's voice on loop for the last three weeks due to one of his previous movies being used for this month's 11 second club.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I feel comfortable nominating Diamondback as the worst MCU villain. Every single thing about him is just awful, from the dialogue to the performance to the basic logic of why he does stuff. Guys like Ronan were boring and one-note, but at least I didn't groan every time they were on screen.

I think he's supposed to be a parody of a Blaxploitation villain because the other characters are always pointing out how nonsensical his plans are.
    Especially Shades. Almost every scene between Shades and Diamondback is Shades telling him how his plan won't work.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I think he's supposed to be a parody of a Blaxploitation villain because the other characters are always pointing out how nonsensical his plans are.
    Especially Shades. Almost every scene between Shades and Diamondback is Shades telling him how his plan won't work.

Yeah... but it just made him look cheesy and stupid. He's a worst disappointment than the Mandarin.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I don't think Diamondback is meant to be a parody. I think he just kinda sucks.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nobody in Luke Cage is meant to be a parody, but almost every non-Claire character is a deliberate archetype demonstrating an issue in Black cultural struggle.

Diamondback is the insidious, characature "Thug," both imagined and real. He's the imagined agenda, and the real Asshole Who Shows Up to the Protest to Start a Riot.

He'sthe work of Western religion that helped us read, and the conservative zeal that poisons our roots.

The world can watch him make a fool of us in the street, on the news (and they do), and he puts us right back in chains in the end.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Nobody in Luke Cage is meant to be a parody, but almost every non-Claire character is a deliberate archetype demonstrating an issue in Black cultural struggle.

Diamondback is the insidious, characature "Thug," both imagined and real. He's the imagined agenda, and the real Asshole Who Shows Up to the Protest to Start a Riot.

He'sthe work of Western religion that helped us read, and the conservative zeal that poisons our roots.

The world can watch him make a fool of us into the street, on the news (and they do), and he puts us right back in chains, in Georgia.

Would you mind expounding on some of the other archetypes you noticed? And as far as Diamondback goes, did you find that the trade off of having a more traditional villain versus highlighting a harmful caricature was worth it? Would it have been as powerful to you if this "thug" was represented by an underling, or flipping Cottonmouth and Diamondback? Did this particular caricature need to be the final boss, I guess is what I'm asking.

• Options

The world can watch him make a fool of us into the street, on the news (and they do), and he puts us right back in chains, in Georgia.

I didn't get this at all about the character. I just saw a guy who was crazy without the nuts.

• Options
    If Diamondback isn't a caricature then they screwed up royally.
    We learn that Willis Stryker is the illegitimate child of Luke/Carl's father and he was treated like crap because of it. He never had the love, respect, or even acknowledgement of his father. After he stole a car with Luke, he went to juvie while Luke's father used his influence to give Luke a second chance by letting him join the marines. Willis killed someone in self defense in juvie and was sent to do hard time in prison. All the while, his father abandoned his mother and she died penniless and alone. Willis became Diamondback because of the terrible circumstance of his life. And instead of addressing the issue of their disparate upbringings, what was the final message of the show? "Am I my brothers keeper, no I'm not."

That's kind of a terrible message. Luke, the son of a rich and powerful pastor, who had a life of privilege and was given a second chance, washing his hands of his half brother, who was born of the indiscretions of his father and became a criminal because of the terrible way he was treated by the system and his own father.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but Luke Cage is my favorite show to come out of the Netflix deal. I wasn't expecting that. I enjoyed most of the actors involved. I loved the style, the music, the overall story, Luke's journey from trying to hide and keep to himself to being the only out and out hero of all of the Netflix characters. The action was fun. Cottonmouth was amazing. Shades is probably one of my favorite villains introduced besides Fisk.

The only downside is Diamondback. He was just boring and one note. He was just a loon and paled in comparison to other villains in the show (Shades, Cottonmouth, Mariah all were just are so much more interesting than Diamondback ever could be.)

But overall the show was just amazing. <3

Very much looking forward to Iron Fist and Defenders. I just hope they can get that bromance going between Danny and Luke. I need to see them paint the town red and take on a gang together.

tumblr_m0x7c08j4m1qmavteo1_500.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the idea of danvers as a fighter pilot who gets sucked into the portal during the new york battle is suuuuch a good idea though

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    If Diamondback isn't a caricature then they screwed up royally.
    We learn that Willis Stryker is the illegitimate child of Luke/Carl's father and he was treated like crap because of it. He never had the love, respect, or even acknowledgement of his father. After he stole a car with Luke, he went to juvie while Luke's father used his influence to give Luke a second chance by letting him join the marines. Willis killed someone in self defense in juvie and was sent to do hard time in prison. All the while, his father abandoned his mother and she died penniless and alone. Willis became Diamondback because of the terrible circumstance of his life. And instead of addressing the issue of their disparate upbringings, what was the final message of the show? "Am I my brothers keeper, no I'm not."

That's kind of a terrible message. Luke, the son of a rich and powerful pastor, who had a life of privilege and was given a second chance, washing his hands of his half brother, who was born of the indiscretions of his father and became a criminal because of the terrible way he was treated by the system and his own father.

I think the idea is that Luke, who's gone through much of the same, is not in fact responsible for the other's actions, and is not obligated to accept harm at his hands.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's about personal responsibility. And being crazy.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Diamondback did, rather undeniably, make something of himself from his troubled beginnings. He just did everything in exactly the wrong way for his experiences to make him a better person.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    The thing is that Luke didn't go through the same thing as Diamondback.
    Willis went to juvie and prison when he was just a teenager. Luke/Carl Lucas was spared that fate because of his father's influence. He didn't go to prison until he was a fully grown adult with plenty of life experience and training in the marines.

The whole message about personal responsibility doesn't work very well when you have someone who lived a more privileged life lecturing someone who turned out bad because they had a shitty life. It boils a very complex issue down to something way too simplistic.

• Options
    Except Luke has had every opportunity to be just as big a dirtbag. And, with superpowers, he could've easily done so. But, as his appearance on Jessica Jones even showed, Luke generally actively chooses the higher ground.

There was a lot of work toward Luke accepting Great Responsibility here. He even accepts the truth of how horrible his father was. But the one thing he chooses not to accept responsibility for, and rightly so, is the actions and choices of another man whose sole legacy is destruction and violence.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The series is pretty sympathetic to people who were screwed over by the system in general. But really what do you do with someone like Diamondback?

I mean really what could Luke have done? Apologise for being born?

• Options
    Except Luke has had every opportunity to be just as big a dirtbag. And, with superpowers, he could've easily done so. But, as his appearance on Jessica Jones even showed, Luke generally actively chooses the higher ground.

There was a lot of work toward Luke accepting Great Responsibility here. He even accepts the truth of how horrible his father was. But the one thing he chooses not to accept responsibility for, and rightly so, is the actions and choices of another man whose sole legacy is destruction and violence.

Except Luke also had more opportunities to not be a dirtbag.

A rich person has the opportunity to turn to crime but since they're rich, they also have the resources to not turn to crime. Compare that to a poor person, who lacks those resources and are often faced with situations where they either have to turn to crime or starve, get beaten, maybe even die.

Yes, Luke can misuse his super powers but hey, they're super powers! They're a huge resource that can be used to earn money legitimately.
    Road Block wrote: »
    The series is pretty sympathetic to people who were screwed over by the system in general. But really what do you do with someone like Diamondback?

I mean really what could Luke have done? Apologise for being born?

Don't write Diamondback as an insane thug with no redeeming qualities. If they actually wanted to play the character seriously, then write him with some depth and nuance.