As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

19495969798100»

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Dunno why people are getting the impression Spidey is underpowered in the MCU, he handily stops not just Bucky taking a swing, he also instantly brings a car going 30-40 miles an hour to a stop with no real effort. And in the Homecoming trailers, we see him keeping a
    split-in-half ferry from falling completely apart by sheer muscle power.
    Plus, he was holding up the weight of an entire airline jet bridge at one point, and that's going to weigh something like 10-20 tons and puts his strength right in line with the comics.

He is definitely plenty strong in the MCU, but we've only seen him briefly in one movie in a fight that didn't have anybody's lives on the line and he had explicit orders to just get in the way.

Spider-Man is one of those characters that can effectively pull off The World of Cardboard trope. That he is potentially so strong he could accidentally hurt someone or destroy something if he happens to sneeze while holding something/someone. I think in those comic book power charts Marvel used to post at the end of trade paperbacks. Peter Parker (616) is roughly estimated to have a 10-30 ton level of strength level. Factoring in his acrobatics and super-natural reflexes. Despite the fact he is not professionally trained, he can hold his own in a fight against a lot of close combat fighters. Which is why they tend to hurt him in fights before the hand to hand starts. If anything, MCU Spider-Man is not under powered in the MCU. He is just under trained. He could probably rip Iron Man and Warmachine out of their armor if he gets his hands on them. He can dodge Thor and lay in some good level strikes for a time. If he didn't use the webbing he could go toe to toe with Panther and what he lacks in training he makes up with speed.

Really out of all the Avengers I'd say Hulk, Vision, and Wanda are the ones Spider-Man couldn't fight. Sure he can be tripped up and if the situation is stacked against him the others could beat him. And honestly I hope that is kinda the direction the movies take him in. He has all the power and potential to be a world class hero. But his youth and inexperience is what holds him back. By the time we get to the Sinister Six movie should be the moment that Peter grows up and shows exactly what a Spider can do.

This was one of my favorite parts of superior Spider-Man, when ock on his first run out accidentally almost kills a c list villain by one punching him.

Immediately realized how much Peter held back all those years

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Also begs to be mentioned, Tony is the ONLY person in current EARTH MCU that has seen what is coming. He is the only person who saw the force that existed to take over the planet had they not closed the portal.

He spends the next like 4 movies doing nothing but planning for every single eventuality of what he KNOWS is out there.
    After all, what should he be doing? He is just a man in a can. So he uses his brain to try and get contingency plans in place. Hence the suits for every job in IM3, Ultron in AoU, trying to keep teh Avengers together in Civil War, and no doubt being super worried about Spidey in Homecoming.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    at some point, tony should have realized how stupid it all was. if someone that was space-faring wanted to conquer earth, it doesn't matter how many robots you have, the space race is gonna zap you from space and annihilate your defenses. Why wasn't he building a moon base?!?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    at some point, tony should have realized how stupid it all was. if someone that was space-faring wanted to conquer earth, it doesn't matter how many robots you have, the space race is gonna zap you from space and annihilate your defenses. Why wasn't he building a moon base?!?

How do we know he isn't?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    The number of people with actual powers in the MCU films is actually really low.

You go down the list of heroes and it's like:
    Cap
    Thor
    Hulk
    Wanda
    Other Twin
    I guess Vision?
    Spiderman

I think that's probably it.

Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Quake.

A long with a smattering of other B characters.

I was sticking with film characters because while they ostensibly take place within the same universe there is zero indication Marvel has any interest in crossing the streams with TV shit and Movie shit. They just exist to reference one another.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Also begs to be mentioned, Tony is the ONLY person in current EARTH MCU that has seen what is coming. He is the only person who saw the force that existed to take over the planet had they not closed the portal.

He spends the next like 4 movies doing nothing but planning for every single eventuality of what he KNOWS is out there.
    After all, what should he be doing? He is just a man in a can. So he uses his brain to try and get contingency plans in place. Hence the suits for every job in IM3, Ultron in AoU, trying to keep teh Avengers together in Civil War, and no doubt being super worried about Spidey in Homecoming.

Yeah, Tony has an unfortunate burden to carry, along with his stress and anxieties (that, while not manifesting in panic attacks, are surely doing him no favors). I felt so bad for him for the entirety of Civil War because, while Cap was technically right, I feel like Tony is right on an emotional level and doesn't know how to do things. He wants to fix everything with his tech, but he can't. He tries to fix everything with his tech, but can't.

In fact, despite the whole "opposites on the law" thing, nearly everyones story centered around compensating for loss. The entire movie is based around people who lost something dear (70 years of their life, parents and families) and are acting out of guilt and what happens when one persons guilt interferes with another persons, and the irrational ways in which we lash out when that happens.

"I don't care."

It's a well-written story and, as someone who has dealt with guilt, loss, anxiety, and fear of the future for years, it strikes every emotional chord imaginable every time I watch it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Seriously, go back and watch the film with the idea that "this person doesn't know what the fuck to do because they are emotionally shattered", and all of those actions that seem like logical potholes suddenly become more understandable.

There isn't a single character acting with their full faculties in the movie.