Options

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Guys torturing yourself with these faithless EV fantasy votes isn't helping you cope in the long run. Yes, this election is different. Yes it very much seems like Trump has some level of ties to Russia. Yes he's a piece of shit monster for a variety of reasons.

However unless some serious fucking evidence is dropped before the EC Vote, none of these fantasies are going to happen and there is zero reason to believe that evidence is forthcoming.

It isn't healthy for your brain meats

I'd argue that none of this discussion is really productive, but it's therapeutic, so let everyone have it.

- No, the electors will not go faithless.
    - No, we will not get rid of the EC.
    - No, we will not make gains in the midterms.
    - No, there will never another D president again.

Fascism won, and democracy is dead (at the federal level). The last time this occurred, the entire world went to war. Who's going to be able to free us from our authoritarian overlords?

No one.

Either democracy is dead or it isn't. And it is not dead at the federal level. Clinton hasn't been murdered, Obama hasn't been tortured, the Washington Post buildings have not been bombed, and people who have displeased Trump have not been gunned down by paramilitary forces at his beck and call.

This is a terrible candidate, who will probably be an awful president; he's not Pinochet or Hitler (it's indeed disconcerting to people who have experience of real authoritarianism to see folks claiming we're under yoke; when the Staples Center in L.A. becomes a giant prison where Trump stores left-leaning sympathizers, then we'll be under a dictatorship).

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wolf Blitzer just asked if Obama should pardon Clinton before Trump takes office to Sanders.

Sanders just looked bewildered and tried to interrupt saying "P-pardon her? She hadn't been indicted for any-"

Which is all he could get out as Blitzer rambled on comparing Clinton to Nixon.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    The media wasn't pushing the horse race. The horse race was real

Eh, I'd argue that the causation's pretty tangled there. If the media hadn't given Trump a ton of essentially free coverage he might well have been dead in the water.

• Options
    And it's easy to blame the Jews the global elites the media for Clinton's catastrophic failure in the midwest blue states in Pennsylvania

Very trumpy, actually

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Eh, I'd argue that the causation's pretty tangled there. If the media hadn't given Trump a ton of essentially free coverage he might well have been dead in the water.

And hadn't given Hillary more negative coverage on absolutely nothing than anybody, Trump included...

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I've participated in five elections. A full 40% saw the candidate for whom the most people voted passed over in favor of a born-rich New England white man, because of the intricacies of rules locked into place by New England rich white men 200 years before I was born.

I'm allowed to be a little despondent about the status of democracy.

Everything about this election was predicated on electoral college math: how primaries played out, where people spent money, where people campaigned in person. Who knows what turnout would be given a pop vote (I'm inclined to think it would favor Democrats). You can't change the rules after the game has been played.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    This isn't just going to be a nightmare of a cabinet

It's going to be a nightmare of a presidency.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Wolf Blitzer just asked if Obama should pardon Clinton before Trump takes office to Sanders.

Sanders just looked bewildered and tried to interrupt saying "P-pardon her? She hadn't been indicted for any-"

YET

donald-trump.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

But no, the Media certainly doesn't have a hard-on for destroying Clinton's reputation. None whatsoever.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Best case makes Reagan look like FDR.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Einzel wrote: »

I mean, we already kinda had a petition. It was the election. There were rules. Clinton lost.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    And it's easy to blame the Jews the global elites the media for Clinton's catastrophic failure in the midwest blue states in Pennsylvania

Very trumpy, actually

OK, Then if it wasn't a combination of unfair media coverage, comey's october suprise, wikileaks, racism, and voter suppression what was it?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Guys torturing yourself with these faithless EV fantasy votes isn't helping you cope in the long run. Yes, this election is different. Yes it very much seems like Trump has some level of ties to Russia. Yes he's a piece of shit monster for a variety of reasons.

However unless some serious fucking evidence is dropped before the EC Vote, none of these fantasies are going to happen and there is zero reason to believe that evidence is forthcoming.

I'd argue that none of this discussion is really productive, but it's therapeutic, so let everyone have it.

Fascism won, and democracy is dead (at the federal level). The last time this occurred, the entire world went to war. Who's going to be able to free us from our authoritarian overlords?

No one.

Either democracy is dead or it isn't. And it is not dead at the federal level. Clinton hasn't been murdered, Obama hasn't been tortured, the Washington Post buildings have not been bombed, and people who have displeased Trump have not been gunned down by paramilitary forces at his beck and call.

This is a terrible candidate, who will probably be an awful president; he's not Pinochet or Hitler (it's indeed disconcerting to people who have experience of real authoritarianism to see folks claiming we're under yoke; when the Staples Center in L.A. becomes a giant prison where Trump stores left-leaning sympathizers, then we'll be under a dictatorship).

It is my strong belief that the GOP Senate will nuke the filibuster. I also believe that they will push through some form of National Voter ID Law that creates incredibly undue burden on traditionally democratic voting blocs. I also believe that they will fill the courts with judges that will support these disenfranchisement attempts. The culmination of these simple acts ensures a one-party stranglehold on the federal government for years to come, and allows them to start making inroads on traditionally blue state and local races.

What makes you believe they will not follow this plan, or some plan like it?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Best case makes Reagan look like FDR.

honestly I think we're screwed and I hope Canada is willing to take in some American refugees in the future.

• Options

Cronyism mode engage

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    so there were rumblings of uprisings if hillary won the election

what do you think will happen if the electoral college hands it to her two months after the fact?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Very trumpy, actually

OK, Then if it wasn't a combination of unfair media coverage, comey's october suprise, wikileaks, racism, and voter suppression what was it?

It was a lot of those things. And we have to consider the possibility that Priebus kicked our ass

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    There are always rumblings from the right.

It's all talk.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Very trumpy, actually

the DNC ignoring strongholds it thought were safe and ignoring the undercurrent of resentment in those areas

• Options

No one.

It is my strong belief that the GOP Senate will nuke the filibuster. I also believe that they will push through some form of National Voter ID Law that creates incredibly undue burden on traditionally democratic voting blocs. I also believe that they will fill the courts with judges that will support these disenfranchisement attempts. The culmination of these simple acts ensures a one-party stranglehold on the federal government for years to come, and allows them to start making inroads on traditionally blue state and local races.

You're close but what will actually happen is the Democratic Party will drift rightward to stay competitive. Midwestern whites are about to be the Belle of the Ball

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

what do you think will happen if the electoral college hands it to her two months after the fact?

Massive civil unrest where the national guard gets called into multiple cities to enforce peace.

Which is what I think is going to start happening anyways in certain states because hoo boy does Trump not like protestors.

• Options

Seriously, we can't do that thing. Trump was talking up the system being rigged if she'd won fair and square, and people wan't a small group of individuals to unilaterally hand her the presidency that he was democratically elected to?

Fucking get real people. We can't do this thing.

• Options
    There are always rumblings from the right.

It's all talk.

i don't believe they would have actually done anything had she won the electoral college outright

i don't think discounting massive unrest if the election is seen to be stolen and handed to her is a good idea

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Very trumpy, actually

The Dems stopped giving a fuck about the rural poor, and so the poor vote went 50/50 instead of 70% Dem.

This isn't fucking complicated, the data is right there. It's the economy, stupid. It's always the economy.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    https://mobile.twitter.com/RationalGun/status/796841376990240768

Trump supporters actively hoping that the dems revolt so they can gun them down.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Massive civil unrest where the national guard gets called into multiple cities to enforce peace.

Which is what I think is going to start happening anyways in certain states because hoo boy does Trump not like protestors.

What makes you think the national guard will be on her side?

• Options
    i mean

the electoral college is fairly bullshit

and she did win the popular vote

but that will not matter if the electors go faithless

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

Very trumpy, actually

the DNC ignoring strongholds it thought were safe and ignoring the undercurrent of resentment in those areas

Ignoring is probably too strong. Prioritizing other areas made sense given the polling. Yes, in hindsight, some more enthusiasm in those regions would have helped, but given they seemed reliable strongholds before that, it made sense to focus elsewhere.

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    emails.png

(If that's too small, it's a word cloud about what voters have heard about Trump/Clinton)

In this election, that's the problem. I think the 2010/2014 elections are the reason to indict the Democratic establishment more generally.
    It was a problem, one of the problems. It was enabled by who we choose to run. And yeah, the media didn't help. But we dropped the ball, threw interceptions, and didn't have a good offensive line. We can't just yell at the refs because they made bad calls, we have to fix our damn team too.

This is a word map based on media coverage. Please point on the map where you see any words related to policy.

It's entirely the media's fault. Clinton talked about what she would do to help <everyone> constantly, but you wouldn't know it from anyone reporting on her. They are 100% to blame for depressing D voter and handing the election to Donald.
    No, dude. That is shortsighted. You cannot lay the blame for this entirely at the feet of the media, they only represent part of the whole picture. We went with a candidate we knew had these problems, but we thought being a policy wonk with a popular president and a good enough economy would make up for it. It didn't. She didn't resonate with enough voters in the parts of the country that she needed to win. If your optics are gonna be about being a part of the problem, a symbol of corruption, a Washington insider, then you could not win 2016. If the zeitgeist continues, you cannot win 2018 or 2020 either.

And what are we going to do to fix "the media" in the case of it being "entirely the media's fault"? We've got no legislative leverage over them, and they profited handily from a horse race. If that's what gets you coverage, if that's what gets your voters to show up in the places you need them, then we need to pushing the firebrand using revolutionary language.
    On top of that, we made the (reasonable) assumption that being a racist, misogynist, xenophobic, unqualified, childish, corrupt, and proudly-ignorant liar surrounded by conspiracy theorists would be a disqualifying recipe. It wasn't. Here's the thing, though - and I don't want to take away from your larger message of how the Democratic party needs to improve in a practical way, because I agree and think it will help - the part I mentioned? That's not on us, and it's not on the Clinton campaign.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

Idealist view? People get angry, some shots are fired, the rest of the world sighs relief, and we get to abolish the EC for being "corrupt".

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I can't take electoral college whining seriously. If Trump had a bare majority in the popular vote and Clinton had 300+ electoral votes, literally none of you would think this was a bad thing. I sure wouldn't!

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Very trumpy, actually

The word cloud is right there. Are you saying that it didn't matter or that it was Clinton's fault?

• Options

What makes you think the national guard will be on her side?

Because this isn't a TV show and the national guard is not more loyal to a state governor than they are to the country as a whole.

• Options
    I've participated in five elections. A full 40% saw the candidate for whom the most people voted passed over in favor of a born-rich New England white man, because of the intricacies of rules locked into place by New England rich white men 200 years before I was born.

I'm allowed to be a little despondent about the status of democracy.

Everything about this election was predicated on electoral college math: how primaries played out, where people spent money, where people campaigned in person. Who knows what turnout would be given a pop vote (I'm inclined to think it would favor Democrats). You can't change the rules after the game has been played.

I didn't advocate changing the rules after the game was played. I'm lamenting being forced to play a crappy game designed to protect interests that aren't my own.

• Options

No one.

You're close but what will actually happen is the Democratic Party will drift rightward to stay competitive. Midwestern whites are about to be the Belle of the Ball

If they have to functionally join the GOP to get elected, how does that change my prediction?

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Seriously.

You don't lose by surprise on game day because the other guy was propped up by the press.
    Actually Trump beat Clinton by something like 10% of late deciders in those key states, so actually the horse race largely wasn't real all the way up to October.

It's still early yet in the electorate post-mortem, so I'll happily be proven wrong when more data comes in.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »

Idealist view? People get angry, some shots are fired, the rest of the world sighs relief, and we get to abolish the EC for being "corrupt".

I'm sorry could you please justify that claim?

• Options

No one.

Jesus Christ man read my last sentence

Even then it's still a democracy

One party stranglehold? Sure, until the people are tired of the Republican jig and vote for the other guy! The Democrats had a "stranglehold" over the Deep South until they didn't, and had a "stranglehold" over the Midwest until yesterday.

A one party stranglehold is Bob Dylan arrested at Staples Center, tortured, having his hands broken and ordered to play his guitar, and then murdered. Respect people who have lived (or at least has family that lived) through that.

Also, voter ID is a tool of the devil for a LARGE part the rightwing voting bloc.

That you do not take into account the possibility that Trump might lose in the 2020 election is folly.

I would again suggest you take some time off and seek some council - professional council, not strangers on the internet. I actually am worried about you.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    i mean

the electoral college is fairly bullshit

and she did win the popular vote

but that will not matter if the electors go faithless

Weren't two of them going faithless before anyone voted, saying they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Clinton even if their state did?

This discussion has been closed.