Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kind of saw this as a minecraft type development. Base game is bare, but each patch adds more and more fun stuff.
    I'll play it again, enjoy my time in the game again, and then go play something else until the next patch.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm fully on board with that approach, and initially said the state of the game at launch would have been way more palatable if it was released as early access. But I'm not sure how that works in a console world?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm fully on board with that approach, and initially said the state of the game at launch would have been way more palatable if it was released as early access. But I'm not sure how that works in a console world?

7 Days to Die is early access and on the PS4 so I think it works the same as Steam.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So I warped to a system with 6 planets, built a base (though for some reason radiation keeps leaking inside), recruited a Builder, who wants to to go hunt for cacti on barren planets so that I can build a beacon to find my way back. But all the planets in my system are extremely hostile and wintery, or have aggresive sentinels...

I landed on a Winter Wonderland planet, which was actually a Winter Horrorland because extreme temperatures and very violent and aggressive antelopes made my life very miserable...

I bought a Freighter, which is helmed by Admiral Suc :lol:

Sadly, no new trophies, but hey, it's a nice free addition, and I think I have to go a scout planets for manufacturing plants so that I can built voltaic cells and glass for a glorious base with windows :biggrin:

And then I noticed my downloaded FF XV will be playable in an hour... :eh:

Well, good I have a backlog folder now :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

7 Days to Die is early access and on the PS4 so I think it works the same as Steam.
    And not that it matters, but XB1 has a preview/early access thingy, they only have maybe 7/8 titles on it though.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Well I still had this on my steam library so thought I would try this update out.

It's has some nice tweaks and UI has been improved.

Essentially yes, its the same game but there seems to be a lot more variety in the planets and moons.

The base building is snap and place like fallout 4 and already have a armourer, scientist and a builder giving me some quests for new recipes and items.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    7 Days to Die is a PC alpha early access game that was released this year for consoles and it's been excoriated for being buggy and choppy and inferior there.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Between NMS and The Division getting updates that turned the games around, I'm now a bit more wary of being so cynical towards game developers now. It's been a wild year.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    After the malevolent hatred poured on them by a seemingly infinite swarm of people utterly incapable of creating anything similar to what they did, I'm shocked they didn't burn it all to the ground and find a new industry to work in.

But hey, turns out they're better people than the howling horde.

So I'm going to get an even better game to play.
    Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on this. These dudes were never the noble victims you make them out to be. A lot of people were pissed because Hello Games blatantly lied about NMS. The fact that thousands of customers were mislead cannot be called into question, we have video evidence of the whole thing. Though, I'm certain more than a few assholes took their criticism too far, and fuck them what did, but Hello Games did deserve backlash for their shenanigans.

Going radio silent and then handing us all proof that they are committed to making things right has redeemed Hello Games in my eyes. Hopefully they stay the course and actually provide what originally promised.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Between NMS and The Division getting updates that turned the games around, I'm now a bit more wary of being so cynical towards game developers now. It's been a wild year.

Well, the only reason turnarounds are happening at all is because the market has finally reached a point where the shitty "release first, fix it later" so prevalent with big publishers can (gasp!) actually cause huge fucking problems for that publisher. They don't do it because they care, they do it because they're getting stomped for dumping crap on people.

I'll cut the cynicism when half-finished partially-built stuff stops getting released as the retail version, period. I've got nothing against Early Access games, the warning is right there on there on the label and you're knowingly taking a gamble (there's probably way too much stuff in Early Access, but whatever, I just won't buy any of it). But something like No Man's Sky? Should never have seen release if they weren't ready to launch it with at least most of the features they advertised.

Thank goodness for refunds on digital goods now, so consumers can turn the tables on the whole "fuck you for buying our product, you're stuck now" attitude publishers have had for ages.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh, good, my favorite conversation now has a reason to begin again.

Maybe one day that ASA investigation will finish and peace and harmony will settle gently upon us all.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Well, the only reason turnarounds are happening at all is because the market has finally reached a point where the shitty "release first, fix it later" so prevalent with big publishers can (gasp!) actually cause huge fucking problems for that publisher. They don't do it because they care, they do it because they're getting stomped for dumping crap on people.

I'll cut the cynicism when half-finished partially-built stuff stops getting released as the retail version, period. I've got nothing against Early Access games, the warning is right there on there on the label and you're knowingly taking a gamble (there's probably way too much stuff in Early Access, but whatever, I just won't buy any of it). But something like No Man's Sky? Should never have seen release if they weren't ready to launch it with at least most of the features they advertised.

Thank goodness for refunds on digital goods now, so consumers can turn the tables on the whole "fuck you for buying our product, you're stuck now" attitude publishers have had for ages.

The Division really felt like they had pretty much given up on the game and were only going to focus on getting the DLCs out and fix bugs, but actually setting up a PTS and making significant changes that make the game fun again (And being very open with communications) was really surprising to me. Whoever in working there who managed to convince Ubisoft to continue financing the game is my hero.

I mean, Ubisoft could actually weather that, but a small studio like HG would definitely not. At one point Sean said he didn't really want to make games for the rest of his life, so I was already convinced he didn't care what happened with the game, he had gotten his money and was done with that long long project already. Except he didn't, so really good on him.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    The fact that thousands of customers were mislead cannot be called into question, we have video evidence of the whole thing. Though, I'm certain more than a few assholes took their criticism too far, and fuck them what did, but Hello Games did deserve backlash for their shenanigans.

Which is a completely valid position, but is not what happened. I didn't see many, "They overreached and delivered a product significantly short of what was originally promised. I am disappointed and will be seeking a refund. In future guys, even if you are really excited about sharing your ideas, it's best not to show things you haven't really figured out how to deliver."

What I did see, nearly everywhere, were people reacting like Hello Games had come to their house and shot their mother in the face before kicking their puppy to death. The vitriol was insane.

Noble victims? No, but I thought the backlash here was over the top, and the PA forums were significantly restrained compared to what I saw elsewhere. If you shit on creators hard enough for their mistakes, they aren't going to fix them, they are going to take their toys and go home.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Or, and I know this is a wild theory, there were both people that reacted appropriately and people who acted completely over the top, but both groups had a core set of legitimate grievances with the way the game was marketed dishonestly.

Like, maybe some fans were just mad that Sean lied about multiplayer on camera and then continued to be cute about it when pushed for clarification. And maybe some fans were disappointed that the E3 Trailer was such levels of bullshit that none of what it promised made it into the game. And maybe some assholes went through and nitpicked every little tiny thing they could about the game and called for Sean Murray to be hanged in the town square.

It's almost like there's a huge number of people in the world that all reacted on this, like, scale, or something?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Naw, most people I saw, which is understandably anecdotal, were on the inappropriate end of that scale.

Again, you're being reasonable. By and large that is not what I saw.

rpshoggoth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Naw, most people I saw, which is understandably anecdotal, were on the inappropriate end of that scale.

Again, you're being reasonable. By and large that is not what I saw.

Stay off reddit when that happens. Your life will be so much better.

• Options
    Ahh, wisdom.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    There were certainly lots of people whose reactions were over the top, but hey... welcome to the Internet.

There is no question that the mess Hello Games finds itself in is of its own making, and blaming people who criticized them is completely misplaced. Also, I don't forgive them the radio silence, either. What got them into trouble was not talking about their game, it was Sean Murray lying about it and then going completely silent once people realized they'd been had. If they (either Sean or another spokesperson) had come out and stated they were working on patches and further developing the game post-release, that would have gone a long way for many people towards easing the ill will. Not everyone, for sure, but much of it would have calmed.

It also would have helped not to charge $60 for an Early Access game which they didn't label as such.

• Options
    You all keep making valid points, if my argument had been they did not make significant mistakes, which it is not.

Is the point you are trying to make that the vitriol was an appropriate reaction to the mistakes they made?

I know people on the internet can be terrible, but I don't see that as a justification for the behavior or a reason to condone it.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    You all keep making valid points, if my argument had been they did not make significant mistakes, which it is not.

Is the point you are trying to make that the vitriol was an appropriate reaction to the mistakes they made?

I know people on the internet can be terrible, but I don't see that as a justification for the behavior or a reason to condone it.

No one is condoning the behavior of assholes. The internet is always going to be full of assholes. That assholes reacted disproportionately to a bad thing is not a reason to forgive or excuse the original thing.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Or, and I know this is a wild theory, there were both people that reacted appropriately and people who acted completely over the top, but both groups had a core set of legitimate grievances with the way the game was marketed dishonestly.

Like, maybe some fans were just mad that Sean lied about multiplayer on camera and then continued to be cute about it when pushed for clarification. And maybe some fans were disappointed that the E3 Trailer was such levels of bullshit that none of what it promised made it into the game. And maybe some assholes went through and nitpicked every little tiny thing they could about the game and called for Sean Murray to be hanged in the town square.

It's almost like there's a huge number of people in the world that all reacted on this, like, scale, or something?

I don't think you can argue that they were shamed into making this update. Their launch day patch had all of this stuff road mapped out already, as a free update.

As has been mentioned previously, there is absolutely no way the game's more vocal detractors will ever be sated. There literally aren't enough features to add, if you were to have a 400 man team work on it for a year. The game as launched needed improvements though, and this patch is a great step in the right direction. It should be really encouraging.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I wish we could stop going over the same tired dialogue and focus on the actual new stuff

Any more cool screenshots of bases you've made or interesting planets you've come across? How are the new features working out for you? Fun Survival Mode stories?

Hopefully I'll finally get some time with it tomorrow to check it out myself

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    One thing I realized yesterday while thinking about my survival mode escapades: I made it to the ship before realizing there's a build menu.

I suspect it would have been way easier if I was putting down save points to act as checkpoints or trade terminals to get resources.

I actually kind of enjoyed how brutally unforgiving venturing out was without those things, tho, so if that's your sort of thing I recommend giving it a shot.

I'm not sure how quickly resources respawn, though; I know I'd harvested a good chunk of the nearby available stuff by the time I successfully struck out, so it might be possible to get stuck without building stuff.

Still, it really makes getting to the ship feel like an accomplishment.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So with the update can you permanent waypoint a star system so you can always get back to it?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Anyone know how to get the haz-mat gloves and advanced laser blueprints?

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Is the goal with Survival Mode to "get to the center" or is it just to see how long you'll last?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    I haven't seen many screenshots of the available freighters. Are they randomized like the smaller ships, or is there a set list of static ships?

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I've only seen one and he wanted $15,000,000 for it. From the look of it though I think they all might be the same and then you have an added hallway to do your base building on.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    really? Mine wanted 7 Mil and it was a 13 slot ship. I haven't been to any other system yet, so I don't know if they vary based on the race that inhabits the system. Mine had a Gek captain (now admiral). I'll post pictures later today of it.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    really? Mine wanted 7 Mil and it was a 13 slot ship. I haven't been to any other system yet, so I don't know if they vary based on the race that inhabits the system. Mine had a Gek captain (now admiral). I'll post pictures later today of it.

Okay maybe I'm wrong then, this one was 18 slots, but I was talking about the general aesthetics of the ship

• Options
    edited November 2016
    My problem is I'm a bit of aesthetics snob. My ship needs to look good on top of being functional. It took a long time to find new ships in my last play through, even though I was rolling in credits, because it was hard to find something cooler looking.

That's why I need a list of freighters with pictures, because I know for a fact that I'll buy a freighter and then immediately find a new one that looks way better.

yossarian_lives on

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So with the update can you permanent waypoint a star system so you can always get back to it?
    I believe that once you set up a base you can teleport back to it from any station (and then maybe back to that station?). Other than that, I'm not sure.
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Is the goal with Survival Mode to "get to the center" or is it just to see how long you'll last?
    It's pretty much the base game but with higher resource requirements/faster death/etc. You lose what you were carrying when you die and some stuff breaks, but otherwise you just respawn at your last save location I think. I don't think it'll stay very difficult long after having gotten to the ship, but I've only just set up a base so I'm not certain yet.
    At least one of the new guys sitting in stations starts a "quest" chain related to building bases; maybe they're part of that?

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I believe that once you set up a base you can teleport back to it from any station (and then maybe back to that station?). Other than that, I'm not sure.
    It's pretty much the base game but with higher resource requirements/faster death/etc. You lose what you were carrying when you die and some stuff breaks, but otherwise you just respawn at your last save location I think. I don't think it'll stay very difficult long after having gotten to the ship, but I've only just set up a base so I'm not certain yet.
    At least one of the new guys sitting in stations starts a "quest" chain related to building bases; maybe they're part of that?

Yeah working on that now. I need some Sp element thing for my science section (which I haven't found). Makes sense that it might be tied to that chain though. I guess I'll try the next system for that element.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My problem is I'm a bit of aesthetics snob. My ship needs to look good on top of being functional. It took a long time to find new ships in my last play through, even though I was rolling in credits, because it was hard to find something cooler looking.

That's why I need a list of freighters with pictures, because I know for a fact that I'll buy a freighter and then immediately find a new one that looks way better.

I think I figured out after a bit that they would only offer you ships that were a little better than the one that you had. So buying less than perfect ships was pretty important if you wanted to eventually have a baller one with all the slots AND the crazy space foil or whatever.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

the center? it took me 4 hours to get to my broke-ass ship 13 minutes away

edit: p.s. this is what happened the first time i made it back to my ship. always so endearing, hello games. never change.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

the center? it took me 4 hours to get to my broke-ass ship 13 minutes away

edit: p.s. this is what happened the first time i made it back to my ship. always so endearing, hello games. never change.

Yeah, I think the main story is the same but the main story has and I'm assuming never will be the main point of the game. Survival just makes it much closer to an actual sandbox survival game -- it's a lot harder to survive and that's going to naturally give you direction for a lot longer than the base game did, but nothing as far as scripted quests.

Also I've totally been trying to survival without thinking about using the build menu to help, that should help! I'm pretty sure you can get into a fail state with Thaumium if you keep running towards your ship and die after harvesting the stuff on the way, but its going to be on the first planet so restarting isn't much different than respawning.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Survival seems like an easy cash in for "rage reaction" videos, brb becoming the next big YouTuber.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So are planets different in survival? I know the environment is harsher but do those harsh environmental changes show in the worlds themselves? The video in the spoiler looked like the atmosphere was all sorts of fucked up which was cool, just curious about that.

I restarted my normal game to give it a fair chance without me cheesing through a bunch of stuff like I did before, but I may also start a survival game.

edit: Also I am happy to see the hello games didn't completely abandon the game. I don't know if their work is going to fix the PR nightmare they dug into, but its nice to see them trying.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    So are planets different in survival? I know the environment is harsher but do those harsh environmental changes show in the worlds themselves? The video in the spoiler looked like the atmosphere was all sorts of fucked up which was cool, just curious about that.

I restarted my normal game to give it a fair chance without me cheesing through a bunch of stuff like I did before, but I may also start a survival game.

edit: Also I am happy to see the hello games didn't completely abandon the game. I don't know if their work is going to fix the PR nightmare they dug into, but its nice to see them trying.

it's hard to say because of the nature of the game, but nothing seemed especially inconsistent with the planets i saw pre-patch in normal mode (and i saw a lot of planets.) there are definitely less crystals, if nothing else. the landscape and colour scheme of this one particularly reminds me of some of the more extreme irradiated planets you get closer to the center, though usually they have more messed up fauna.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Could be the planets I've been on, but playing normal and I've found a lot less stuff.