As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I ordered the AKG K7XX

Trying to figure out dac and amp thing

I was looking at Modi 2 u / Magni 2 u combo

But then I saw there is the modi multibit and I was like is that worth it???

And then someone in the tech thread suggested the little ego on sale for $99

What thoughts have you on these

@Casually Hardcore you have these headphones

what say ye

I'm using the schiit stack and am very happy with it. I can't really compare it with anything else because I only used the K7xx with a soundblaster z and a old Sansui receiver. The schiit stack is noticeably way better then the soundblaster soundcard. The Sansui receiver was never at 100℅ so I can't really give an honest opinion on how the two compares.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Cool

I may just say fuck it and get the multibit and the Magni 2 Uber

Guess then I could use the pre-amp outputs for my powered speakers instead of the built in DAC in the speakers

poo
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

I don't want this to get buried, because I imagine this price point will make these headphones viable for a lot of people.

That and you don't have to worry about these being made in China, because they're being made in Ireland.

• Options
    Kinda makes me wish I waited on the akg order
    But they'll be dope too

poo
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    But they'll be dope too

Don't worry, really happy with mine.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    But they'll be dope too

You think you were going to get away with buying just ONE set of headphones?! Oh, boy, you don't know what sort of rabbit hole you're falling in...

• Options
    I think I will be content for a good while after spending these several hundreds of dollars

I hope

To god

poo
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

Whoa. I did not expect that Massdrop would get the 6whatever's as a drop; they've had lots of other brands time and time again but the Sennheisers have remained off-limits, so this is a big surprise. And that's also a _really_ good price; if I hadn't already got my 600s I'd be right on this, import fees to Canada and all. (also, right now 8275 people have requested it but there's only 5000 available, so anyone wanting to get on this should be ready at the opening time)

• Options

Whoa. I did not expect that Massdrop would get the 6whatever's as a drop; they've had lots of other brands time and time again but the Sennheisers have remained off-limits, so this is a big surprise. And that's also a _really_ good price; if I hadn't already got my 600s I'd be right on this, import fees to Canada and all. (also, right now 8275 people have requested it but there's only 5000 available, so anyone wanting to get on this should be ready at the opening time)

To be fair the K7XX has been a limited edition item for years now.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    650's for $199.99?!

Yes, please!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Those 6XX's for $199 is an awesome deal. I'm guessing the drivers aren't matched and some other cost cutting corners have been made to reach that price, but for what will probably be 80-90% of 650's new for under $200 the changes are probably barely noticeable.

I'll @Uriel on those since they're barely outside of his price range but squarely inside the sound profile he'd like as an upgrade from 518's.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kinda sad I just bought 598s for the same price lol. Still a good set of cans. Hope they get dropped.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Any anecdotal experiences with IEM's? I don't need a silver bullet, but I do need to replace my current earbuds. Possibly some brands to avoid/consider?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    i have enjoyed my audio technica IEMs quite much

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Any anecdotal experiences with IEM's? I don't need a silver bullet, but I do need to replace my current earbuds. Possibly some brands to avoid/consider?

I can't say enough nice things about my Shure SH-215s. They're really bloody good!

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    So I treated myself to some ATH-M50x while buying my new computer, and I must admit, while I *can* hear the difference between them and my old Logitechs, I cannot hear the difference between onboard RealTek and my old SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

As a hardcore FLAC guy, this surprised me a bit. My guess is that Stereo headphones just don't see as much of a difference with sound cards as 7.1/5.1 Surround does. I used to run surround sound, but funny how life changes. I like to not bother housemates, and 5.1/7.1 (even 2.1) systems just take up too much desk real estate.

I've avoided leather headphones for 15 years due to making my ears sweaty, and I'm rather astonished at the ATH-M50's - I bought some velvet replacement pads for them, but haven't installed them, as the leather isn't even remotely sweaty on them. Yay for small surprises.

• Options
    There's a good chance the DAC in the Realtek is as good or better than the one on the Soundblaster card. Internal sound chips have come a long way in 5 years.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I stopped running a Xi-Fi with my last computer build. The onboard audio usually carries its weight that I don't feel the need to drop another $100-$200 on another component.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    I stopped running a Xi-Fi with my last computer build. The onboard audio usually carries its weight that I don't feel the need to drop another $100-$200 on another component.

Admittedly I didn't ditch a sound card due to money or quality of on-board sound, but mostly due to how atrocious Creative's software is that they foist upon you.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

Admittedly I didn't ditch a sound card due to money or quality of on-board sound, but mostly due to how atrocious Creative's software is that they foist upon you.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with this.

Thankfully, Asus Xonar cards and software work damn nice and I don't have to worry about Creative ever again.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I hope whoever wanted to get in that massdrop managed to do it cause it went really fast and people are salty.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    The Verge had an article about them on the front page this morning which probably directed a lot of buyers there. I don't think they sold through the full run of 5000, but maybe stopped sales when they realized more people ordered than they were anticipating. Possibly them seeing the huge influx of buyers and wanting to stop sales before they became overwhelmed and would have issues fulfilling the orders in a timely manner.

Cormac on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I managed to snag the drop for the HD650 some-fucking-how. Tried it before work when there were ~300 sold and got a email confirmation a dozen attempts later when it was about 4800, never having saw the end of the site's transaction flow because it was still hella busted.

But yeah, it was a shitshow.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any gaming headset recommendations? I'm in a weird position, due to some conflicting requirements, and I'm hoping somebody has some ideas.

I want:
    • Wireless (The audio jack is broken, and I'd like fewer cables anyway)
    • Behind the neck (I have an enormous head, and my current headphones are squeezing me)
    • Surround sound (for 3D gaming, e.g. Overwatch)
    • Optional: Supra-aural cups, because my ear canals are ironically too small to comfortably use earbuds, and I often find supra-aural more comfortable than circumaural for marathon use.
    • Optional: Mic ( @Vivixenne helpfully suggested using my webcam mic, so I could drop this req if necessary)

I'm also a musician, doing more PC gaming, and I've been doing video / audio composite work for a YT series with some friends. So I'm willing to invest more for a quality set that I can use basically all day.

For reference, I've been using the Status Audio HD One (the best quality-to-price ratio I've ever tried) and the Corsair Vengeance 2100 (the head-squeezing set, otherwise good enough).

Thanks!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Im sorta at a loss at the moment, im looking for bluetooth/wireless headphones or IEMs but seems to be such varying reviews for products. Does anyone have any solid recommendations?

*Edit Update* Scrap that, ended up seeing the Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless for 200 quid. Couldn't say no.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    got my amp and dac hehehe

not my headphones yet, those come monday, so just using my m50x's for now

but ahhh yesss

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    OK, so looking like I may go headphones for xmas present - should I just start with a magni multibit and a modi? This will be for computer gaming and listening.
    Have some SR60's around and will likely pickup some Black friday 598's? Any other recommendations for a newb?

• Options
    I got the
    Magni 2 uber and the Modi Multibit

But I dunno if for most people there's a discernible difference over the Modi 2 / Uber, i just did cuz why not
    The Modi 2 Uber is only needed over the Modi 2 if you're going to use multiple inputs too, not just USB

I got the magni 2 uber over the magni 2 because I'm using the preamp outputs for my speakers

So you could save a bunch depending on your uses

poo
  • Options
    I got the 2 just so I can gave an optical port and avoid any issues with USB connectivity and noise.

• Options
    Yeah, don't need the extra power so sticking with the normal power

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

Dolby Digital Live and DTS Live are nice to have though. I don't think many motherboards support those, even nowadays.

As for the software, if you're careful you can manually download just the drivers you need (including for DDL/DTSL) and none of the other garbage.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Looking for a set of computer speakers that can serve for playing Rocksmith well. (basically an amp for my guitars). Something in the $100-300 range is where I should end up.

Any recommendations?

Old, but in this price range you can easily go with a standalone amplifier (not a receiver) and some decent little two way bookshelf speakers. I have some cheaper ones (JBL Loft 30), but in that range you can go better. They don't take up too much space and sound decent.

• Options
    FYI - Sennheiser 598 Cs for 99 bucks today at Amazon. Some other awesome deals on Headphones that are way out of my price range in other places as well (Audeze B stock for 50%, HiFiMan has some sales as well).

Linky for Sennheisers: http://a.co/4P2cN7v

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what games are good to test the SteelSeries Arctic 7.1 capability? I didn't buy them for surround capability, but I'd still be delighted to try it out.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Does anyone know what games are good to test the SteelSeries Arctic 7.1 capability? I didn't buy them for surround capability, but I'd still be delighted to try it out.

Got any first person shooters? I remember Battlefield 3 doing some really nice surround work with my Denons, and they're just regular stereo headphones, not surround.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Of current games Titanfall 2 has good surround from my experience. Though I've only tried it with my 5.1 setup as oppose to your 7.1.

It also has the added benefit of being fucking awesome.

• Options
    FYI - K7XX's back on massdrop for 200.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Excellent points. Anything by DICE and Titanfall 2.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »
    FYI - K7XX's back on massdrop for 200.

I listened to mine yesterday

They are good

poo
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I've been looking into DACs for a while now since getting my V-Modas a wee while back. With Christmas coming up my parental units have very kindly decided that they would like to purchase one for me. Not even knowing what a DAC is they've asked me to choose one.

My personal requisites are something portable, that works with android, and won't break the bank.

So first off I started looking at the Fiio e18, since I'd heard a few good things about Fiio in general and the e18 was designed to be used with mobiles. Turns out that's been discontinued just recently and can't be had in the UK for less than a 50% markup on the original price. So scratch that one.

Next up and seemingly an even better purchase would be the Audioquest Dragonfly Red. Reviews online pretty much unanimously put it at top of class in it's price range. It doesn't have it's own battery, but seems that the power draw is so low that it barely matters. V-Modas aren't high impedance either so I'm not worried there. Turns out that there was a fire in a warehouse somewhere that has made the things gold dust.

I cannae catch a break!