Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah there's a decent chunk of older Pokes from all the older generations in Sun/Moon, though some are a bit different looking and have new features, like Rattata has a mustache and is Dark type instead of Normal

Slight correction: It's Normal/Dark.

I got lucky and caught a Crabrawler right before the first Trial. Since I have Moon, everything was Rattata/Raticate. Kinda steamrolled it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    You have the option to choose if you want to battle against special pokemon or not i believe.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Popplio, Pikipek, Machop, Cutiefly and anything that can learn Brick Break are strong against Moon's first trial.

Oh, and Grubbin.

PLA on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting to find the electric rock so i can get my chargabug or w/e its called to change into a rail cannon battle cruiser.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Vulpix and Pikachu are starting to become the load for me as i progress on the third island Eviolite can only do so much but they need that tasty Evolution stat boost which is denied to them by the asinine fact that you're punished for stone evolutioning pokemon early

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to find the electric rock so i can get my chargabug or w/e its called to change into a rail cannon battle cruiser.
    It's just an entire zone on the fourth island. And there's no indication at all it works that way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Completed my Alolan living dex! One copy of every new Pokemon and Alolan form. Once I can transfer my gen 6 Pokemon over, I'll be very close to a complete living dex.

I thought I'd need a second copy of the game to get some of the rare ones, but it's surprising what people will trade them away for on the GTS if you keep refreshing. I got a Cosmog for a Riolu, a Type:Null for a Turtonator and a Lunala for a Cranidos.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Completed my Alolan living dex! One copy of every new Pokemon and Alolan form. Once I can transfer my gen 6 Pokemon over, I'll be very close to a complete living dex.

I thought I'd need a second copy of the game to get some of the rare ones, but it's surprising what people will trade them away for on the GTS if you keep refreshing. I got a Cosmog for a Riolu, a Type:Null for a Turtonator and a Lunala for a Cranidos.

Wow, already? I can't even get someone in GTS to trade my vulpix for a sandshrew :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Wow, already? I can't even get someone in GTS to trade my vulpix for a sandshrew :(

Depositing Pokemon seems to be bugged - at least it is for me. You gotta search for stuff, and keep refreshing till reasonable trades pop up.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah there's a decent chunk of older Pokes from all the older generations in Sun/Moon, though some are a bit different looking and have new features, like Rattata has a mustache and is Dark type instead of Normal

Slight correction: It's Normal/Dark.

My b my b

I was thinking of Meowth

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm bummed I missed out on all the mythical pokémon except for December. Every time I heard about it, it was always ORAS and I didn't realise XY were supported as well.

Also turns out I'm subbed to the US thingy instead of EU, so the codes for the legendary birds they sent out don't work for me either.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm bummed I missed out on all the mythical pokémon except for December. Every time I heard about it, it was always ORAS and I didn't realise XY were supported as well.

Also turns out I'm subbed to the US thingy instead of EU, so the codes for the legendary birds they sent out don't work for me either.

That's rough.

At least you'll get them going forward!

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

It's not all of them, but I have spare copies of Hoopa, Victini, Darkrai, Jirachi and Celebi I can give you.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Alolan dex is 300/301 right now as I wait for 6pm* so I can evolve this Espeon and complete my first regional dex ever. Don't know why I bothered this time around, honestly, but it does feel good.

*Sadly I returned the Solgaleo I borrowed and can't hop dimensions right now.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What about your Lunala?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I'm a little sad that for a living dex I either need to scam people on GTS or replay the game twice (for those pre-evos).

Scamming on GTS isn't really even an option, because I'd like to have them all in my name, ideally.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Scam?? why scam? not just trade?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I guess it's on them if they accept the trade but I don't consider those trades to be fair. For example a UB that I got 4 copies of, in exchange for someone's only Type:Null or whatever.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    What about your Lunala?

Lunala only works when it is day in my natural game, at which point I don't need to hop dimensions.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I guess it's on them if they accept the trade but I don't consider those trades to be fair. For example a UB that I got 4 copies of, in exchange for someone's only Type:Null or whatever.

I mean typically in future gens they give you access to old cover legends and one ofs. So you can always have a semi living dex for a bit

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

Maybe that guy thinks he's ripping you off, getting a version-exclusive UB in exchange for something everyone gets given for free.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Queue up for a quick battle....

Minimize Muk.... Concede.

Well that was fun! Is everyone playing minimize muk or grass field topo regen groups?

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    man, filling a dex is HARD WORK.
    And I'm doing it AGAIN.
    Even considering most of the troublesome pokémon are already waiting in the Bank.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Well that was fun! Is everyone playing minimize muk or grass field topo regen groups?

alolan muk seemed pretty strong to me, but then again i dunno wtf im doing. not sure what else goes with the minimize team.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Got three of my beloved Pokémon to level 100! Prismet the Primarina, Bouncee the Tsareena and Serrano the Midday Lycanroc are getting some R&R at Poké Pelago while I continue grinding at the Pokémon League.

• Options
    edited December 2016

alolan muk seemed pretty strong to me, but then again i dunno wtf im doing. not sure what else goes with the minimize team.

It's less about Muk's strength and more about cheap tactics that make it really hard to compete. Anything messing with accuracy/evasion in any pokemon game is very annoying. Elitists tend to ban minimize/sand attack etc., and it's one thing I kinda agree with the elitists about. The only counter to it is running at least one never-miss move, which is boring to have to include on every team.

A common troll Muk has Minimize so it never gets hit, Toxic to badly poison the enemy and wait them out, Screech to greatly lower their defense, and Swagger to greatly raise their attack and confuse them so they hit their own weak selves really hard, and can never hit Muk, all while being poisoned.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

It's less about Muk's strength and more about cheap tactics that make it really hard to compete. Anything messing with accuracy/evasion in any pokemon game is very annoying. Elitists tend to ban minimize/sand attack etc., and it's one thing I kinda agree with the elitists about. The only counter to it is running at least one never-miss move, which is boring to have to include on every team.

A common troll Muk has Minimize so it never gets hit, Toxic to badly poison the enemy and wait them out, Screech to greatly lower their defense, and Swagger to greatly raise their attack and confuse them so they hit their own weak selves really hard, and can never hit Muk, all while being poisoned.

is this setup legal for normal competitive play (aka official stuff not smogon)? is the answer there just simply the 100% accuracy stuff or how is it dealt with in those situations?

• Options

is this setup legal for normal competitive play (aka official stuff not smogon)? is the answer there just simply the 100% accuracy stuff or how is it dealt with in those situations?

VGC is double battles, where a lot of these 'troll' strategies lose their bite.

• Options
    TamerBill wrote: »

VGC is double battles, where a lot of these 'troll' strategies lose their bite.

ah, that makes sense. was this the driving force behind double battles?

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

If you're able to interrupt him from setting up on you it's not as scary. Also something with haze (to clear stat changes) or taunt to keep the muk from being able to use set up moves.

It's still super annoying, but you'd probably be getting into a similar situation if you let anyone get up a stat boost or two. Hazers/taunters are fairly common selections for just this reason. And of course the never miss attacks work. If it's really bad (Haven't gotten onto ladder yet) try packing a HA A-Ninetales with blizzard, her HA sets up hail (chips the muk) and blizzard auto hits at bp 110 in hail.

Edit: I now have HA a-vulpix, a-sandshrew and mareanie if anyone's looking for them. Just shoot me a pm and I can breed one up. The vulpixes also come with encore and freeze dry egg moves. I'll take any pf the sun exclusives except vulpix (or junk if you don't have any ☺️).

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    I think the thing that keeps double battles going in spite of evasion is that one pokemon can switch in to use Haze while the other keeps the pain going. You don't have to waste a whole turn using Haze or switching in for a never-miss.

• Options
    is doubles the less "broken" format or does it have its own trouble? i started breeding up pokemon i personally like and will probably stick with them but i may look into some of these other formats and what is meta there

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Doubles just has an added layer of strategy with one poke helping the other etc

You get more synergy play going

Though I think it's weird that official tournaments have married themselves to the format completely

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Doubles is the official format because it's faster, and there's some moves and abilities that don't work in singles but nothing that doesn't work in doubles.

• Options
    one thing that seems kinda lame about the official format is that the "strictly better" pokemon seem to be allowed. i dunno how much this stifles things, and the best <whatever> always shows up most frequently in competitive settings, but it seems different in pokemon where a lot of the allure is getting attached to specific monsters

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    As best I could tell from watching VGC16 live the format has the net effect of making most single-battle "wall" type stall and tank strategies non-viable. With doubles and a very limited set of viable pokemon (if you aren't running a perfect primal just go home now) it went to a very different sort of bluffing-game-tactical-outmaneuvering-thing rather than a feel out an opening in the team comp and then try to exploit it with your cleverly-setup hidden power or surprise special attack machamp or setting up a sweep or whatever.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    VGC16 was kinda special as I don't think box legendaries and such are usually allowed.
    They just wanted to showcase their fancy primal forms

In VGC17 you'll be limited to pokes from the alolan dex, and the high BST legendaries like Solgaleo, Lunala and Magearna will be banned

So the only legendaries are the Tapus and the UBs.
    Also, no Megas allowed

VGC17 will be very different from VGC16

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »

If you're able to interrupt him from setting up on you it's not as scary. Also something with haze (to clear stat changes) or taunt to keep the muk from being able to use set up moves.

It's still super annoying, but you'd probably be getting into a similar situation if you let anyone get up a stat boost or two. Hazers/taunters are fairly common selections for just this reason. And of course the never miss attacks work. If it's really bad (Haven't gotten onto ladder yet) try packing a HA A-Ninetales with blizzard, her HA sets up hail (chips the muk) and blizzard auto hits at bp 110 in hail.

Edit: I now have HA a-vulpix, a-sandshrew and mareanie if anyone's looking for them. Just shoot me a pm and I can breed one up. The vulpixes also come with encore and freeze dry egg moves. I'll take any pf the sun exclusives except vulpix (or junk if you don't have any ☺️).

Blizzard isn't an auto-hit in the snow. I've missed after my ninetails had her accuracy reduced by muddy water. I think hail just boosts blizzard's accuracy across the 100% mark.

Ofcouse this could have just been the battle tree cheating...

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »

Blizzard isn't an auto-hit in the snow. I've missed after my ninetails had her accuracy reduced by muddy water. I think hail just boosts blizzard's accuracy across the 100% mark.

Ofcouse this could have just been the battle tree cheating...

Oh my bad. I thought I read that it bypasses the accuracy check in hail on bulbapedia. I want to test this now as it may have changed. Or battle tree hax.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options