Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ok so some actual in-practice examples. Kind of chosen at random, just wanted to use some of the new pokemon that I like. Not a real tournament situation.

An "average" pokemon in this case means all 15 IVs, ~21 EVs in each stat, neutral nature. Something you caught and trained randomly over the course of the game.

Ribombee vs. Decidueye, no held items:
    Lv. 100 average Docile Ribombee       Lv. 100 perfect Timid Ribombee

HP: 266                               HP: 262
    Atk: 151                              Atk: 103
    Def: 161                              Def: 156
    SpAtk: 232                            SpAtk: 289
    SpDef: 181                            SpDef: 176
    Spd: 289                              Spd: 381

Lv. 100 perfect Jolly Decidueye

HP: 297
    Atk: 313
    Def: 187
    SpAtk: 212
    SpDef: 236
    Spd: 262

Notice that the average Ribombee outspeeds Decidueye only by about 20 points, whereas the trained one massively outspeeds him. Still, either way you go first.

Damage calculation: if Ribombee uses Moonblast, which gets STAB but is of normal effectiveness against Decidueye, the average Ribombee deals 120 damage and the trained one deals 149 damage (on the high end, there's some randomness in how much you deal).

As far as Decidueye hitting back, there's not a lot of difference - if it uses Brave Bird you're dead either way, if it uses Spirit Shackle you live, etc.

If Ribombee is VERY lucky, the trained one can barely 2-shot Decidueye, but the other one can't.

Same Ribombees as above vs. Kommo-o, no held items:
    Lv. 100 average Docile Ribombee       Lv. 100 perfect Timid Ribombee

HP: 266                               HP: 262
    Atk: 151                              Atk: 103
    Def: 161                              Def: 156
    SpAtk: 232                            SpAtk: 289
    SpDef: 181                            SpDef: 176
    Spd: 289                              Spd: 381

Lv. 100 perfect Jolly Kommo-o

HP: 291
    Atk: 319
    Def: 287
    SpAtk: 212
    SpDef: 246
    Spd: 295

Because Kommo-o is 4x weak to Fairy and Moonblast is also a STAB attack for Ribombee, it dies in one hit either way: the average Ribombee deals 463 damage and the trained one deals 574 damage.

However, more important than that...notice that the average Ribombee is just barely too slow to outspeed Kommo-o, but the trained one definitely goes first. That's the difference between a loss and a win.

You can see comparing the two cases it's about 24% more damage, and 31% more speed.

EDIT: One more set of calculations, because I was curious. If you get the right nature and do your EV training, but just ignore all that IV breeding stuff because who has time for that, and we assume you've got 15 in all IVs:
    Lv. 100 EV-trained Timid Ribombee (minus IV breeding)

HP: 246
    Atk: 117
    Def: 140
    SpAtk: 273
    SpDef: 160
    Spd: 364

You can see it has the lowest stats compared to the others in many categories, because EV specialization subtracts a bit and the difference wasn't made up for with IV breeding. This Ribombee would deal 531 damage to the Kommo-o. Compared to an average one, this deals 14% more damage and has 26% more speed. However the affect on other stats like defense and HP is not insignificant.

Decidueye hitting average Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 198 of 266 HP, leaving 25% HP remaining
    Decidueye hitting perfect Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 205 of 262 HP, leaving 22% HP remaining
    Decidueye hitting EV/nature Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 228 of 246 HP, leaving only 7% HP remaining!

So there's some napkin math difference between messing with IVs or ignoring them.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I was goofing off on the battle tree last night with my magnezone doing its impersonation of the deathstar.

Physical hits don't phase it when it has a +1 boost to defense and is sitting behind both reflect and aurora veil. It could even stomach a few earthquakes.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Crap, that reminds me that I still need to grab Melloetta or whatever her name is. Stupid last gen only event :P I don't get why I can't redeem this stuff in Sun and Moon now that they are out :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    So Chinchou is apparently fishable on Route 8, with 1% chance normally, but 20% if it's bubbling, but I keep leaving and returning and have not seen a bubbling spot even once

Am I missing something?

Fly to Wela Volcano Park, head north to Rt8. Go to first grass patch (keep moving north). Rocks on your right should be bubbling.

Very important: do not run near the water. That will cause the bubbling to stop, like you are scaring the fish away.

I was wondering what I was doing wrong to cause the bubbles to disperse.

Yeah I was having that problem like crazy trying to catch Sharpedo off Poni Coast before I fell back on my decade+ of Animal Crossing experience.

Not sure if everyone knows this or not re: bubbling, but I found that a specific rock would always be bubbling whenever you enter a certain zone, and leaving and re-entering resets it. I used this to grab pretty much every rare fishing rod poke in a relatively short span.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I was goofing off on the battle tree last night with my magnezone doing its impersonation of the deathstar.

Physical hits don't phase it when it has a +1 boost to defense and is sitting behind both reflect and aurora veil. It could even stomach a few earthquakes.

Those stack?

Hmm...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Those stack?

Hmm...

They do. Also, incase it isn't clear, aurora veil only needs hail to be cast. Once set up, the weather can change but the veil will keep working.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    So... Reflect, Light Screen, Veil, switch to something and set up sweep under quarter damage. Fun.

Unless they have brick break :(

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The battle tree has brick break something like 30% of the time if you're stacking screens. Too much to be a coincidence imo. I'm pretty sure that it's looking at my hand before making its play. If not brick break then it's night shade, seismic toss, toxic, etc. They've always got something that ignores the screens outright.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »

Wow that was painless. Don't even need 3DS internet access. More of that, TPC!

• Options
    I did battle royal a few times with Tapu Koko and Xurkitree. 90% ground types.

The game is rigged, and doesn't try to hide it.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I did battle royal a few times with Tapu Koko and Xurkitree. 90% ground types.

The game is rigged, and doesn't try to hide it.

and they all pile up on you.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The battle tree has brick break something like 30% of the time. Too much to be a coincidence imo. I'm pretty sure that it's looking at my hand before making its play.
    I think they've been doing that ever since the Battle facilities were introduced. I remember reading a forum post years ago about how the poster used a hacked Electrode with No Guard and Sheer Cold, and the game proceeded to put Sturdy mons in every team.

• Options
    Does the old Truant Skill Swap Protect cheese for dragon dance still work? Or has the AI learned to switch out?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Well I got my perfect Stufful now. So that makes...Bewear, Mimikyu, Ribombee, Alolan Ninetales, and Salazzle. Got all of them in Pokepelago for various EVs, Salazzle is totally done. I guess those are just the new pokemon I find the most compelling, and seem to have the most interesting combat potential. It's weird because I didn't intentionally set out to choose among the fastest pokemon or special attackers, but that's just how it ended up. There aren't even very many of either of those this gen!

I'm curious how long it took you for the salazzle. I just got a 5 IV female (attack being the low one) after close to 400 salandits. 3 perfect IV males though, tons of 5 iv male and females but generally with the incorrect weak stat

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Crap, that reminds me that I still need to grab Melloetta or whatever her name is. Stupid last gen only event :P I don't get why I can't redeem this stuff in Sun and Moon now that they are out :P

Likely because it conflicts with the Munchlax event.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Zython wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Likely because it conflicts with the Munchlax event.

I swear they've had multiple events going in the past. I think mystery gift gives you a choice of what promo you want to redeem

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Well I got my perfect Stufful now. So that makes...Bewear, Mimikyu, Ribombee, Alolan Ninetales, and Salazzle. Got all of them in Pokepelago for various EVs, Salazzle is totally done. I guess those are just the new pokemon I find the most compelling, and seem to have the most interesting combat potential. It's weird because I didn't intentionally set out to choose among the fastest pokemon or special attackers, but that's just how it ended up. There aren't even very many of either of those this gen!

I'm curious how long it took you for the salazzle. I just got a 5 IV female (attack being the low one) after close to 400 salandits. 3 perfect IV males though, tons of 5 iv male and females but generally with the incorrect weak stat

I don't know if I got super lucky or if you were leaving out a step...I got it in like 2 full boxes (60). Every time I got a Salandit with more perfects I made it a new parent. The successful parents were male HP/Atk/Def/SpDef/Spd and female Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef. I had more trouble with Ribombee which just wouldn't roll right.

I didn't know it took you this long, I should've offered to breed more with my perfect one.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    When trying to get higher SOS chains, does it matter which Pokemon calls for help? Like, do I only get higher chains when the original Pokemon that started the battle calls for help?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    When trying to get higher SOS chains, does it matter which Pokemon calls for help? Like, do I only get higher chains when the original Pokemon that started the battle calls for help?

Every pokemon that shows up is an additional number in the chain. You can always kill the new one, or always kill the old one, doesn't matter.

I'm a little unclear on how it works for EVs...I think the original one counts as normal, and every new one that shows up is worth twice as many.

• Options

I don't know if I got super lucky or if you were leaving out a step...I got it in like 2 full boxes (60). Every time I got a Salandit with more perfects I made it a new parent. The successful parents were male HP/Atk/Def/SpDef/Spd and female Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef. I had more trouble with Ribombee which just wouldn't roll right.

I didn't know it took you this long, I should've offered to breed more with my perfect one.

my "final" parents were a 4 IV ditto and a 6IV salandit. i was determined to breed it on my own which is why i didn't ask in the thread. she isn't 100% perfect, but i don't think attack value matters for this particular pokemon.

i made it more difficult on myself because i wasn't reusing same family 'mons. so i had 4 distinct dittos that as i improved the IVs (3 to 4, 4 to 5, then 5 to 6) i swapped to a new ditto.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hey, you can look at fainted pokemon in Refresh.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Hey, so, my 9 year old son wants to get into Pokemon. He has been way into Skylanders (we've collected waaaaay too many figures), and he really liked watching me play Ni no Kuni and collecting all the familiars, so I'm sure Pokemon will be right up his alley. Recently in school, presumably due to Pokemon Go, his English class had all of their assignments themed around Pokemon (diagramming sentences about Jigglypuff and Pikachu, getting a Charmander sticker for good homework, etc.). He's now obsessed (especially with Charmander) and wants to get a game at Christmas.

Which 3DS game would be a good starting point a kid newcomer? I figured either X/Y, Alpha/Omega, or Sun/Moon.

I actually have a copy of Y on my 3DS from some free promotion with the eShop, but neither of us has started it. Is this one a good one to start on? Will any of the more iconic pokemon (Pikachu, Charmander) be in this game, or has the entire lineup been refreshed (not that that's a dealbreaker - I'm sure he'll like the newer pokemon, but having a few that be knows about might be cool). Even though I already have this game, I'm not opposed to buying a different one if it's not a good one for a kid to start on.

I had thought that Alpha/Omega might be better since they were remakes of some earlier games and may have the original 151, but if the gameplay mechanics are clunkier since they're based on older games, maybe a new game with updated mechanics/gameplay would be the better.

I heard Dan Ryckert say on the Bombcast that Sun/Moon had some good improvements on quality of life (simpler menus I think). Are these a good enough reason to get them over the Y I have or the Alpha/Omega I can buy?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    They're all fairly equal in terms of age appropriateness so he might as well get the latest to engage with the current community. Also the QoL improvements really are appreciated.

Sun/Moon also have plenty of Gen 1 (the Pokemon in Go) going on in them. Pikachu easy to get during the storyline. Charmander would require online trading but shouldn't be too difficult to manage at all. If you help him get one sorted via this forum I'm sure he could have a Charmander as soon as trading opens up in the game.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Yay, beat the main game! Good thing everyone had been gifting me revives and potions throughout, because I did have a few guys faint over the course of the elite 4, not to mention having to cheesily (so embarrassed!) use max revive during the fight with the Champion...
    I ended up using Incineroar, Vikavolt, Toucannon, Exeggutor, Skarmory, Lunala--kinda forgot that most of what I want on Skarmory is egg moves, so she was super weak, but whatever. Exeggutor never got fully trained up to level 50 but I had to include him for the local color. Lunala was MVP as she didn't get oneshot by the champion's
    Braviary, which outsped all of my pokemon. And, randomly, I had TM'ed aurora beam onto Lunala cause I thought there might be dragons or something, so she ended up having a super effective move!

Anyway, really fun. Super long unskippable unsaveable cutscene at the end, so budget a good amount of time for the final chunk of the game.
    Looking forward to some end-game content, like catching the legendary I accidentally KO'ed during the aforementioned unskippable cutscene with no savepoints...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    For what it's worth, X and Y do have a lot of gen 1 pokemon in them (this was kind of billed as a selling point) but I found the game to be a little dull, especially with the story just not being engaging at all.

I agree that Sun and Moon is 100% the way to go here. The games are just SO much better than previous gens, have a great story, plenty of pokemon he'll recognize from gen 1 (though no Charmander... I'm sure that will be easy enough to trade for come January when that is opened up though) and yeah, the quality of life improvements are really, really good. Especially for a brand new player since it spells out things like which moves will be effective against a pokemon and other newbie-friendly things like that.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    Anyway, really fun. Super long unskippable unsaveable cutscene at the end, so budget a good amount of time for the final chunk of the game.
    Looking forward to some end-game content, like catching the legendary I accidentally KO'ed during the aforementioned unskippable cutscene with no savepoints...

That's actually a good thing you killed it, it lets you properly prepare and catch it more carefully, maybe try a few times if you want to get the perfect nature or something.

A lot of people get worried because they hadn't been able to save and catch it because they think it's their only chance.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    For the time being, some older pokemon such as Charmander aren't available in Sun/Moon, but people will become able to trade them at some point in January. People who don't need anything will be giving them away for any common thing you can catch.

For the rest of December, two fairly rare pokemon are being distributed over internet-connection to any game out of X, Y, Alpha and Omega, so that's a thing you could do if you already have one of those. You'd need to reach a certain location in the game to pick them up, but if I recall correctly, there's only a small number of short fights on the way there.
    Moving forward, the occasional distributions will be exclusive to Sun/Moon.

PLA on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'll be more than happy to shower anyone with any pokés come january,
    including dozens of Charmanders!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My understanding is that 6iv dittos are currently not possible to get in sun/moon (legitimately). How were they attained in previous versions?

After the tedium that was getting my salazzle I'm probably going to work on EVs for a while then come back to breeding.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

That's actually a good thing you killed it, it lets you properly prepare and catch it more carefully, maybe try a few times if you want to get the perfect nature or something.

A lot of people get worried because they hadn't been able to save and catch it because they think it's their only chance.

Yeah those things reset every time you clear the E4 so don't sweat it too much. Hell I caught two of them in Quick Balls. I never use legendaries but my Tapu Bulu has some insane IVs.

• Options
    My understanding is that 6iv dittos are currently not possible to get in sun/moon (legitimately). How were they attained in previous versions?

After the tedium that was getting my salazzle I'm probably going to work on EVs for a while then come back to breeding.

They are technically possible to get, you just need to be beloved by the universe. Or somehow manipulate the RNG, as is how most of the old ones came to be.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

They are technically possible to get, you just need to be beloved by the universe. Or somehow manipulate the RNG, as is how most of the old ones came to be.

so how does the max 4IV thing come in when chaining them? are you saying i'd just need to find one randomly?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Legitimately? They weren't. Even in optimum conditions (3 star dexnav) only 1 in 30'000 Dittos would have been 6IV.

Sun and Moon let you easily chain for 4IV Dittos, so for people playing legit there's never been a better time to get Ditto breeding stock.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah, since Sun/Moon just came out, that sounds like the one to get. I'm guessing he'll have some classmates getting the game for Christmas too. We only have one 3DS (even though he's basically claimed it as his own), and all the Miiverse/online stuff is set up with my Mii/NNID. Does that matter at all when getting him set up with the online portion? I'm sure other kids and their parents would rather have them trading codes with my son and not me. He has a Nintendo ID that he uses on the WiiU, but since the 3DS only allows for one account, it's set up with mine for digital purchases. Or is online in Pokemon completely divorced from the Miiverse/NNID crap and all he'll need is his friend's codes for trading?

Thanks for all the help.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    IMO get the kid Sun/Moon

It's always cooler to be playing the newest games

You can't get Charmander yet, but Pikachu is available early on

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    bficky wrote: »
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah, since Sun/Moon just came out, that sounds like the one to get. I'm guessing he'll have some classmates getting the game for Christmas too. We only have one 3DS (even though he's basically claimed it as his own), and all the Miiverse/online stuff is set up with my Mii/NNID. Does that matter at all when getting him set up with the online portion? I'm sure other kids and their parents would rather have them trading codes with my son and not me. He has a Nintendo ID that he uses on the WiiU, but since the 3DS only allows for one account, it's set up with mine for digital purchases. Or is online in Pokemon completely divorced from the Miiverse/NNID crap and all he'll need is his friend's codes for trading?

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, I think Black and White is the only gen that does not have old pokemon, but it's also something they have really been pushing lately for the nostalgia factor (everyone loves gen 1).

As for online, it shouldn't matter. Everything is handled via the in-game save character so it doesn't deal with any of the miiverse/NNID stuff (at all in fact, none of the 3DS pokemon games support miiverse for some dumb reason). I think for trading with friends you only need to exchange 3DS friend codes, but his friends will just see his in-game trainer as the one trading

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Finally beat the game and got myself the Tapus and UBs (except Guzzlord, not sure what I want for him yet).

Now I'm working on getting up some breeding stock for competitive. I'm currently hunting for a HA A-Sandshrew, and am looking for someone with Sun who might want one in exchange for a HA A-Vulpix?

Does anyone have any tips for level grinding? Beating the E4 and swapping to the pokemon I'm levelling on every mon seems the fastest, but it's also tedious as all heck. And I just saw Silvally only gets Parting Shot at 85 which seems like a nightmare!

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for level grinding? Beating the E4 and swapping to the pokemon I'm levelling on every mon seems the fastest, but it's also tedious as all heck. And I just saw Silvally only gets Parting Shot at 85 which seems like a nightmare!

The move relearner ignores level restrictions now, you can get Parting Shot at any level for the price of a Heart Scale. Only reason to level above 50 for most guys now is if you want to hit 100 for Hyper Training.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451