As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the old pokemon thread :(

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    We need a special attacking weavile or some better physical ice type moves.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    This is why I will always have a soft spot for the ice cream cone soft served Pokemon.

You're welcome.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Sent out 20 pokemon over wonder trade. Got some great breeding rejects but didn't get any pokerus that I was hoping for.
    Could anyone here lend a hand with that?

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    We need a special attacking weavile or some better physical ice type moves.

Alolan Ninetales (Icetales?) seems decent

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The stat distribution is too well rounded for a good class cannon. It's slower than weavile, and weavile's primary attacking stat is a whole 50% greater than ninetales'.

It does set its own weather that lets it spam blizzards, but she's not going to outspeed any speed demons. A-ninetales is a step in the right direction for sure, but it's not optimized enough to be making any waves.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    They just need to make the Ice typing less of a liability. The idea that types aren't just different points on a rock-paper-scissors triangle, and that they have distinct advantages and disadvantages, is fantastic. For example, I love that Grass has a few extra weaknesses than it otherwise might have, but compensates with a preposterous array of unique support moves. But it isn't good when some types are just allowed to languish because their disadvantages outweigh their advantages so dramatically. Reeling everything in a bit and reconsidering the type chart- not just adding a new broken type, actually just reconsidering it- is something Game Freak really needs to do.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Sent out 20 pokemon over wonder trade. Got some great breeding rejects but didn't get any pokerus that I was hoping for.

I got a Fearow on WT with Pokerus I won't use - I'm around later today if you'd like it :biggrin:

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    is there a way to bulk wonder trade or is everyone waiting out the animations X number of times?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    is there a way to bulk wonder trade or is everyone waiting out the animations X number of times?

This exact feature was on my "Won't Happen but GOD I WISH IT WOULD HAPPEN" list for Sun/Moon. I won't complain- Poke Pelago gave me almost automated breeding. But it's still on my list and I'd love to see it happen. ...maybe I should send GameFreak my list. It's a good list.

But yeah, you have to just manually do it. In fact, it feels like it takes a bit longer than it used to. I only bother if I am doing something else at the same time, and I don't expect miracles.

TDawg on
  • Options
    InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular

I got a Fearow on WT with Pokerus I won't use - I'm around later today if you'd like it :biggrin:

Thanks for the offer, but I managed to get it from another forumer already.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Basically done with my Living dex for Alola now. Just have to finish evolving Vanillux.

So now that I am going more into breeding and getting more serious combat ready teams, is there a good place to do some serious power leveling?

I have just been using the grass area outside the Battle Tree to level new stuff, but that only works decently up to lvl 35ish or so before it slows down tremendously. The battle buffet also didnt really seem to give that much xp either.

• Options
    I'd say that the Elite Four is most likely to give you the most bang for your buck in terms of EXP. Make sure you have the Lucky Egg for 2X EXP to one Pokemon.
    Post-E4, Professor Kukui will give you a Lucky Egg if you have >50 Pokemon registered in your Pokedex.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Elite 4, Battle Buffet, Gamefreak are good to daily to get some quick cheap xp.

After that you have SOS chaining or just wild encounters. The Festival Plaza also gives leveling ability but that is a grind to setup.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I'd say that the Elite Four is most likely to give you the most bang for your buck in terms of EXP. Make sure you have the Lucky Egg for 2X EXP to one Pokemon.
    Post-E4, Professor Kukui will give you a Lucky Egg if you have >50 Pokemon registered in your Pokedex.

Only 1.5x for Lucky Egg, though you can stack it with the affection boost for 1.8x.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Ended up grabbing Pokemon Snap last night. Man I forgot how fun that game is. I still can't believe it never got a sequel. And the camera stuff they added to Sun and Moon is so boring in comparison. The real appeal of Snap is using stuff like apples or pester balls to puzzle out how to get better pictures or reveal hidden pokemon, get different pokemon to interact with each other, etc. As opposed to "There is a pikachu running around in an circle over and over. Oh, you took about picture and now it's a rockruff wandering aimlessly. Oh, back to the same pikachu again. "

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I love me some Pokemon Snap

I remember always taking my cartridge to Blockbuster to use the Pokemon snap sticker machine they had i made so many stickers

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Last night decided to finally finish getting Ditto hunting team in order. First Ditto I find swap to Trubbish then swap to Persian to switcharoo and "Sticky Hold" procs....

Doh!

Swapped to Porygon and then got two hunts done looking for IVs. Both turned out be just 4 IVs but can now start cranking them out for the breeding hunt. Done more post game in this then ive done in a Pokemon game in awhile.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Have the last member of the hail team in EV island now, and just need to finalize movelists for a couple.

My biggest concern is backup hail/veil setter. Probably Walrein for that on account of bulk...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Got a legit 5IV bagon on WT, pretty nice.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So hey I got wild pokerus. How do I spread that to my other pokemon?

EDIT: Never mind I figured it out.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Pokerus seems way less useful now there's pelago

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Nobeard wrote: »

@Nobeard
    Pokerus stops being contagious after a set period of time in your party. The timer keeps counting down while you're logged out. Make certain that you keep at least one infected pokemon in the PC so that you have a sample on ice that you can use to infect other pokemon in the future.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Been trying to hunt a perfect-ish Ditto and just got a shiny after 13 chain. Lucky tonight heh.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Are there any twitch streams worth following for the competitive scene?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Are there any twitch streams worth following for the competitive scene?

Not any that I'm aware of. edit: but I don't really seek out twitch stuff, I'm more of a "watch when its convenient" kind of guy

Ryuzaki is a really good competitive player (and one of the few notable females, to boot!), and she streams on twitch fairly regularly, but her streams are usually based around these semi-joke teams that frequently use Trick Room + Sky Drop Rowlet. They're amusing, but not really "the competitive scene".

She's literally streaming right now actually but its just making a communal team? she's battling right now! It's a twitchmas miracle!

There's more Pokemon stuff on Youtube. Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng and Wolfe Glick are probably the best for VGC content, while https://youtube.com/user/AlexOgloza is a really good VGC player but usually puts up Singles Battle Spot videos and other more general content.

TDawg on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Alex is my fav. He was up in first for a few hours NA too. I like watching Nipps https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJEJOOTi7b7Hj0VH8O96KA and shadypenguin https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU_mC__7H8NBJzX8ubMGY4Q as well.

Shady streams on twitch too i think.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

@Nobeard
    Pokerus stops being contagious after a set period of time in your party. The timer keeps counting down while you're logged out. Make certain that you keep at least one infected pokemon in the PC so that you have a sample on ice that you can use to infect other pokemon in the future.

I got pokerus from WT I believe, now have a "Patient Spearow" stashed in the PC to infect at will

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Wolfey also streams on twitch sometimes, but kind of irregularly, so you'll have to follow his twitter to know when

I prefer to watch ShadyPenguinn since he can be very entertaining in addition to being pretty good
    Though Shady has been kinda down on pokemon lately and is trying to stream other games atm

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ach, my Sun-copy was one day late for a second Munchlax. No biggie, I can make another Smeargle in Moon.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Exclusive footage of one of the new Pokemon being added in Pokemon Stars:

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    There's a 1.1 update for SuMo, but no mention of Bank support. And in fact, Bank does not support.

C'mon. I'm assuming they'll have to open Bank by the 17th, since the new season will allow previous gen duders.

• Options
    Ugh, I want the bank update, if only so that I can grab my trade evolution Pokemon and finish my Pokedex. I'd rather not waste the BP on trade evo items when I have those Pokemon on the cloud already...

I guess in the meantime I'll just do my Tapu and UB hunt? Which is weird, I usually am very slow to get my legendaries- I'm still not 100% done in Alpha Sapphire, even.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    There's a 1.1 update for SuMo, but no mention of Bank support. And in fact, Bank does not support.

Yeah all this patch did was correct some wonky interactions (like Rock Helmet), the problem where some pokes don't learn their level-up moves when they evolve (Abra -> Kadabra), and make any Battle Videos you already had unplayable.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I miss my babies.

It's going to be hell farming enough BP to equip them all with the gear i had on them and it's enough to make me want to buy a powersave but jesus i miss my roster

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Switch presentation over, no news re: Pokemon at all.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Not really surprised at that. Sun Moon just came out! You'd generate more exasperation and frustration from consumers than excitement by announcing a new game right now, and dampen any long-term sales Sun/Moon might have. If they have something lined up for next year, I don't expect to hear until Fall at the soonest.

I'm wrong all the time but, hey. Video games.

TDawg on
  • Options
    What should I do for my next breeding project to send over wonder trade?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wait a moment, let me try to logic ice to victory over fire.

Fire needs heat, oxygen, and fuel to exist. Remove any point of that triangle and the fire will be extinguished. Therefore cold defeats fire by robbing it of heat.

That's why candles are extinguished when you blow on them. You remove heat from the flame until it drops below the burning point.

Real heat and cold are directions on the same axis, so RPGs making one win by default is always arbitrary. Quantity wins.
    Some games make opposing elements double-edged, though.

Related, I don't think all moves of the types are supposed to actually involve ignited gas or solid ice.

You could make slow and bulky Ice-types work, but probably not by giving them mediocre HP or OHKO-defenses. Some kind of recovery instead of nothing might make a difference, I dunno.

PLA on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Could be that all it would take for Ice to be viable competitively is a rework of Freeze mechanics as well. Give Ice Body contact freeze like its Flame Body/Static counterparts and suddenly walls are scarier, anything with ice shard is a problem that could take you out of action for several turns, and you can force physical attackers to swap into something that the high Ice Special Def. stats actually work against.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Could be that all it would take for Ice to be viable competitively is a rework of Freeze mechanics as well. Give Ice Body contact freeze like its Flame Body/Static counterparts and suddenly walls are scarier, anything with ice shard is a problem that could take you out of action for several turns, and you can force physical attackers to swap into something that the high Ice Special Def. stats actually work against.

That could work if they rework the chance to thaw mechanics. That and freeze just feels bad to get hit with as is.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)