Options

Go outside you Vitamin D deficient [chat]

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So husbands Subaru wrx exploded into steam in the other weekend

Towed to dealership and they said there was a blown out hose and they fixed that and a broken temp gauge that meant the engine likely overheated. About $300 to repair.

He drives it again, a couple days later it starts steaming from under the hood

Taken back to Subaru dealership, they find out the radiator is leaking, quote $700

They just told us yesterday that the head gasket is blown and it will be $2300

It's a 2007 car and husband definitely wants to get a new car

But how do we get out of this old one? Repair it and try to trade it in? Don't do repairs and sell it? Get other quotes (the dealership is probably high)?

@desc @Thomamelas other car people?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    For a forum that was so mad about the stream of unverifiable news coming out in 2016, it sure is excited about an unverified report with clear signs of being false.

On one hand yes. On the other hand, we are talking about it as unverified and it's being covered by mayor news organizations. We're not reading this shit on our facebook feeds, unaware of the real source, and then whispering to uninformed friends about how trump is in the pocket of the russians and paid sex workers to pee on a bed. We are excited about potentially bad news about somebody we hate but we are still aware that the report isn't any may never be confirmed as fact.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    yelp help me find a good cheese steak.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Today in Rim World

The Bloody Kid Quids were attacked by raiders. No one was harmed because the attackers all focused on one of Chanus' raccoons.

Speaking of, Chanus has tamed four boars, two raccoons, and a turtle. I suspect she has a problem.

Bloody caught the flu and was nursed back to health by Quid.

Fire took a raccoon and turtle to go sell in the next town over.

Quid started clearing out a lot of the trees providing cover to raiders.

Quid and Bloody contracted fibrous mechanites. While they're technically in mild pain their blood flow, dexterity, and movement speed are all greatly increased.

A group of raiders, apparently including Bloody's fiancé attacked. It ended poorly.

Nine yorkshire terriers joined the colony! We would be irresponsible pet owners to try and keep them all so we kept to then sent Fire to the next town over to sell the rest with another turtle and raccoon.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's probably tough for a woman or anyone remotely LGBTQ or etc to say "Pence would be better than Trump"

I have slim to 0 hope that Trump would stand in the way of any anti-woman or anti-LGBTQ laws coming out of Congress, and his nominations have been pretty unfriendly to those groups as well.

Yeah like, here's where we're at:

Pence is a horrible person who would send me to the camps if he could

Trump wouldn't do that personally, but he's stuffed cabinets and every post he can with people who would, and on top of that, won't care about procedure behind such things, and also he won't care if it happens, plus nuclear war

And also the stuff that I've actually gotta be afraid about is coming out of congress. As Landshark says, what, is Trump going to veto a "fetuses are actually people, also, get to sue mothers for self defense if they don't take prenatal vitamins?" No, that's like, his one qualification for a Supreme Court justice. Pence is going to be, at worse, sliiiiiightly less good for queer rights by virtue of actively disliking them rather than passively disliking them and also making nominations and appointments that are actively against us.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Whatever, [chat]

don't roll your eyes at me!

go to your room

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Are you disappointed that you didnt get to pee on trump?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    None of you play Division on PC though so I'm forever alone.

I do but I just couldn't get back into it after the open beta.

It was so boring.

I didn't like the beta. I picked it up when it was $9 and the season pass was $14 or something post 1.5 patch, and I've put 50+ enjoyable hours into it so far.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Pence really does look like a character that would show up on the Venture Brothers also

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's probably tough for a woman or anyone remotely LGBTQ or etc to say "Pence would be better than Trump"

I have slim to 0 hope that Trump would stand in the way of any anti-woman or anti-LGBTQ laws coming out of Congress, and his nominations have been pretty unfriendly to those groups as well.

It's more that he's just incompetent and chaotic and unable to work with anyone

A competent regressive evangelical in the big chair would be really bad for a lot of people

Well, first of all, I don't know that Pence is actually all that competent. I don't know a lot about him, to be fair, but I recall Indiana residents in the election threads talking about how he wasn't particularly politically savvy.

More importantly, though, I don't know that people really need to "work with" Trump to pass shitty legislation. If the GOP puts together an anti-LGBTQ bill and passes it through Congress, all he has to do is sign it. Like I said, it's not like the GOP needs him to throw his weight around and pick up votes, they already control both houses.

It's certainly possible that he'll be feeling salty on any given week and veto a bill out of spite, but I think relying on that is really chancy, especially considering all the other shit that comes with him. The stuff we know about him is way too scary to keep him because of the possibility that his crazy random number generator might give us a favorable result.

I mean, if it was our decision, which of course it's not.

Pence can put on the air of competence and he pretends he's not a monster and a biggot

that mask is actually important, because we've seen what happens to the opposition's base when it comes off

To put it bluntly, I think as a nation we're better equipped to recover from the kind of damage Pence would do

override367 on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

It's more that he's just incompetent and chaotic and unable to work with anyone

A competent regressive evangelical in the big chair would be really bad for a lot of people

Well, first of all, I don't know that Pence is actually all that competent. I don't know a lot about him, to be fair, but I recall Indiana residents in the election threads talking about how he wasn't particularly politically savvy.

More importantly, though, I don't know that people really need to "work with" Trump to pass shitty legislation. If the GOP puts together an anti-LGBTQ bill and passes it through Congress, all he has to do is sign it. Like I said, it's not like the GOP needs him to throw his weight around and pick up votes, they already control both houses.

It's certainly possible that he'll be feeling salty on any given week and veto a bill out of spite, but I think relying on that is really chancy, especially considering all the other shit that comes with him. The stuff we know about him is way too scary to keep him because of the possibility that his crazy random number generator might give us a favorable result.

I mean, if it was our decision, which of course it's not.

to be fair to EM, I suppose a savvy and motivated (i don't think Trump particularly cares about dismantling minority rights so much as he just doesnt give a fuck either way) President could work to actively use the executive to like, curtail women's and LGBTQ rights within the federal workforce and other stuff, much like how Obama used the power of executive where he could to expand these rights

idk what all that would entail, though

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Update on Daughter and Honors Bio
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    For a forum that was so mad about the stream of unverifiable news coming out in 2016, it sure is excited about an unverified report with clear signs of being false.

It freaks me out so I haven't read in huge depth. What are the odds of it being false do you think? Like 90% or 50% or ?

Even Buzzfeed, that paragon of journalism, acknowledges that there's major discrepancies within the 36 page report they leaked. CNN has disclaimers about it being 'unverified'.
    At this point, who knows how truthy it actually is.

I think it's a mistake to give it any credence before it is independently verified, and news of that comes out.

Before then, I think it's very important that people have the good sense to self-reflect on this in light of the real pain that came out of fake news in the last year.

I've kind of reached the point where I consider people sheep to be manipulated through selective usage of information. But for actual principled people this is probably a good point.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Also I very much do not want this whole deal with Russia to be true. It's completely unverifiable due to the nature of the source and if it's legit true that means we have a sitting President basically in Putin's pocket and holy fuck
    You got Trump in your pocket, where there's no way out now

The smile on his face made you think you had the right one

That smile on his face as he was having some golden fun

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

moving seems like an extreme and costly and stressful solution

my two cents: focus on your daughter's mental health and do what you can to support her thru the rest of this shit class.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So husbands Subaru wrx exploded into steam in the other weekend

Towed to dealership and they said there was a blown out hose and they fixed that and a broken temp gauge that meant the engine likely overheated. About $300 to repair.

He drives it again, a couple days later it starts steaming from under the hood

Taken back to Subaru dealership, they find out the radiator is leaking, quote $700

They just told us yesterday that the head gasket is blown and it will be $2300

It's a 2007 car and husband definitely wants to get a new car

But how do we get out of this old one? Repair it and try to trade it in? Don't do repairs and sell it? Get other quotes (the dealership is probably high)?

@ desc @ Thomamelas other car people?

$2300 repairs? Looks like bluebook value of the 2007 WRX is $10k-ish, you'll probably make 8k total after selling.

You can ask the dealership if they'd give you a trade in value of 6-8k and just walk, they might take you up on that offer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

On one hand yes. On the other hand, we are talking about it as unverified and it's being covered by mayor news organizations. We're not reading this shit on our facebook feeds, unaware of the real source, and then whispering to uninformed friends about how trump is in the pocket of the russians and paid sex workers to pee on a bed. We are excited about potentially bad news about somebody we hate but we are still aware that the report isn't any may never be confirmed as fact.

Correct. This is all in a report that US Intelligence Officials presented to the President and President-Elect. It is not news because of unsubstantiated pissing, it's news because our government is seriously investigating it.

• Options
    Also the Democratic party is much better built to fight someone like Pence

• Options
    I read that trump wants chat to pee on him

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal for President

"Sure, it's not legal, and he'll probably have to be installed as 'President' through use of force but, I mean, look at your other options."

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Honestly I don't give a fuck if the Trump Russia stuff isnfake, at this point

Fake news sunk Hillary, got Trump elected, it's only fair that something like this starts off 2017 correctly

• Options

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

Also Honors classes are bullshit.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Neco go to bed.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

that's obviously true I need no confirmation. time to find mister trump and whip it out.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Neco go to bed.

Nnngggggh

But what if I have to

Peeeeeee

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

hmmmm...
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

hmmmm...

The school is generally regarded well. The teacher, I am told, has a reputation for being someone to avoid, but my daughter didn't hear this until school already started for the year, and I initially disregarded it as high schoolers being high schoolers; we all had that one teacher we "hated", but in retrospect, probably was at least semi-competent at their job. I can try to go be pushy, but I suspect they'll hold firm just to not set precedent.

• Options

Neco go to bed.

Nnngggggh

But what if I have to

Peeeeeee
    I'll send you a toilet target with trumps face.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Man, remember waaaay back when there was that giant forest fire on @Donkey Kong 's Minecraft server?
    That was meeeeeee

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Twitter suddenly full of "What the heck is he saying?" tweets.

Must be a Trump press conference.

• Options
    My biography will be titled "the misanthrope"

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We're all forgetting Trump didn't get peed on. He just watched hookers pee on each other on a bed a president slept in. And really who of us doesn't have that on their bucket list.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Man, remember waaaay back when there was that giant forest fire on @ "Donkey Kong" 's Minecraft server?
    That was meeeeeee

I definitely did one of them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man I thought W. was a rough public speaker (who got better in his second term)

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    We're all forgetting Trump didn't get peed on. He just watched hookers pee on each other on a bed a president slept in. And really who of us doesn't have that on their bucket list.

Me

King or bust. Archduke in a pinch

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

hmmmm...

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

It freaks me out so I haven't read in huge depth. What are the odds of it being false do you think? Like 90% or 50% or ?

Even Buzzfeed, that paragon of journalism, acknowledges that there's major discrepancies within the 36 page report they leaked. CNN has disclaimers about it being 'unverified'.
    At this point, who knows how truthy it actually is.

I think it's a mistake to give it any credence before it is independently verified, and news of that comes out.

Before then, I think it's very important that people have the good sense to self-reflect on this in light of the real pain that came out of fake news in the last year.

I've kind of reached the point where I consider people sheep to be manipulated through selective usage of information. But for actual principled people this is probably a good point.

One of the most traumatic things my ex went through was when she outed a friend who was defrauding folks on livejournal with a fake story about pet abuse. My ex called around to verify. Did the footwork and found out the whole thing was a sham.

When my ex posted about it, with all the research. Folks called her horrible and she got so much hate mail / posts. There are definitely people who don't give a shit if something is false or not. And will go to great lengths to uphold false shit if it meets their view.

It's one of the things that's made me really jaded about this whole fake news thing.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    Twitter suddenly full of "What the heck is he saying?" tweets.

Must be a Trump press conference.

the military is either great or wasting money on the f35 and he will kill and or put more money into it

override367 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Division survival mode is great btw, it's like all those awful early access survival games but put into an actual non-janky game with reasonably satisfying gun play

The first time I beat it was with literally 1 second left to live. I loved it. Did you try it solo or with some friends?

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.