Options

[Women's March on Washington] 100% peaceful march, millions participated, history made

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A few random topical thoughts:

70% of Trump voters surveyed wanted America to be more like it was in the 1950s. That means the overwhelming majority wanted to push America back toward very overt and extreme white power, to the days of open and accepted oppression of women and minorities, to the days where KKK membership was not a huge social stigma and the civil rights movement hadn't happened. So no, I don't care one whit about hurting their feelings, and I have absolutely no common ground with any of these people in political matters. What about the other 30%? You aligned with this 70%, so go get fucked.

Just under 60% of America voted. So even if 53% of white women who cast a ballot voted for Trump, that's still under 32% of white women (assuming voting numbers are proportional to population numbers, which I doubt). I don't think we can extrapolate voting results to the population at large -- just look at Trump's approval ratings upon entering office. Do non-voters bear some stigma or responsibility? Frankly it depends on which state they live in, which is insane. If you live in California or Mississippi and didn't show up to vote for Clinton, the only harm you've committed is not further inflating the popular vote numbers. Your vote would have had no bearing on the outcome, a fact you'd certainly be aware of.

One possible answer to the "Where were you before??" being asked of new protestors -- I was watching. I watched you protest. I listened to your words. I read your signs. I researched your issues. I found your words to hold truth and your actions to be inspiring. I continued to watch, continued to be inspired, and now you've got me on board. I'm here, and I'm marching with you.

That's an answer I hope I can give next time, but I can't do so now. I honestly wasn't even aware that there was a march anywhere near where I live until after it happened, and I regret missing it. I'm deeply inspired by what I've seen of these marches -- both the Women's March and the BLM marches. I want to be there too, and I hope I can join in soon. And despite all the "I"s in these last two paragraphs, I know it won't be about me. I fully intend to shut up and listen -- except when I'm chanting along with you.

The causes are worthy, the fight is just, and it must succeed.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    My problem is that I no longer have the capability to be angry, more specifically to be enraged. It's hard to show respect for someone that is angry when you can't empathize with them and do not understand their passion.

Here is my thing. I find myself to be sorta anti-third wave feminist/anti-SJW as I believe they have gone beyond wanting equality and instead have push into man hating and using PC as a way to censor free speech that doesn't reflect their views (pushing right wing speakers out of colleges because they want a "safe space" being an example of that), but I also look at their perspectives and I understand their reasons to be angry. They see a world on fire, where, to quote Anita Sarkeesian, "Everything is racist. Everything is sexist. Everything is homophobic" and it gets to them. I don't agree with that logic, not saying there isn't sexism, racism, and homophobia, but I get why they think like that. But they aren't going to win anyone over to their side by making enemies. (Either are the anti-SJW crew who just call these people stupid and worst but that's another story).

I was so happy to see the March was mostly peaceful (I've seen a few videos that suggest it wasn't 100% peaceful but nothing turned into riots and looting) but I think it's a bit too late. Trump doesn't care about them and their March. He cares that he's running the show now. Right now, we should be looking to show up in record numbers in two years and cut his legs out from under him if we can. We need to be reaching out with open hands and making friends with the other sides. We need to find a middle ground and stop blaming each other for perceived sins. Alienating each other is how Trump won and continuing to do so will be how he continues winning.

The thing about racism and sexism and homophobia is that admitting that they're wrong doesn't make them go away. Everyone is part of the problem to some extent, even if they philosophically oppose it. People really, really hate hearing that, though, enough so that they consider it an offensive attack. Because of this, reaching out to others generally requires that you cover up how severe the problem actually is, and let them feel like they're making more of an impact than they really are.

I can see why the SJW crowd would be angry about that, feeling that "liberal" society is marginalizing them so that sexists can feel better about themselves. All I can really fault many of them for is a lack of self-awareness about their own inherent flaws and how much change they're really making. Standing apart from society and being angry about it does nothing to bring change, they need to push their views into mainstream society in ways that will lead other people to identify with them.

Of course it doesn't help that when they do try, it tends to result in people (whether aware or unaware of their sexism) attacking them much more vigorously. Look at Gamergate, for example. A ton of people are angry that gaming is slowly growing more diverse, even though they're not losing out on anything they had in the past. All they care about is that if supposedly "better" games are being made, the people who create and play those games might believe that existing styles and genres are "worse", and that gamers are "worse" as well for playing them. They identify with the status quo to the extent that any effort to change it becomes a personal attack on them.

The issue they don't see (or rather, they do see it, though it doesn't exist) is that diversity doesn't mean everything else goes away. You can make more diverse games, and there will still be X-rated smut games. As a hetero male, I like boobs, and I don't want to see them go away. I just don't want EVERY game to have a damsel wearing a half shirt. I want some games where there is a buff dude, and I want some games where there are kickass ladies.

Diverse does not mean exclusive. Whereas, you want only games where there are buff dudes and ladies with their tits hanging out. That's exclusionary.

Same goes for women's rights (and other minority rights.) Diversity means more rights for more people, it does not take rights away from anyone else. Unless you idea of a right is subjugation of other people. In which case, you can rightly fuck off. It is a right for a woman to be able to go to work, or to make a sandwich. It is not a right to make it so that women can ONLY make that sandwich.

It is a right for transgender people to have a job and not get fired because of it. It is not a right for you to be able to fire someone just because they are a certain way.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Ohhh! Okay allow me to share my go-to response for the whole "Make me a sandwich!" thing, as helpfully illustrated by a fellow Irishwoman, TwistedDoodles.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Okay days late posting this but THIS is the woman who had her sign professionally printed because "...let's face it, we're gonna be doing this a LOT!"

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    So I guess I'm committed to being that annoying POS on your Facebook wall.
    If you're in NYC and available, this is necessary.

If you came out on Saturday, come out tonight.

Any given individual political action in the 1960s did nothing; nothing came of one person's missed afternoon, being lambasted for being a do-nothing hippie by the corpulent old men who controlled the world. But overall, the 1960s were a time of immense social transformation; in aggregate, the do-nothing hippies did something.

This time they are bringing the immense social transformation to us, and it has the potential to be devastating beyond our limited imaginations. I know I didn't expect this much, this fast, not really. But when our institutions are failing this type of action is the only type of action we have left.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1822485898020815/

This is for anyone in NYC for the emergency rally tonight (there is also a NoDAPL one in Grand Central; that's how thick and fast these things are coming) but the language is broad enough that it can be recycled for any future actions. If anyone wants to steal it, feel free

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If you're in NYC and available, this is necessary.

If you came out on Saturday, come out tonight.

Any given individual political action in the 1960s did nothing; nothing came of one person's missed afternoon, being lambasted for being a do-nothing hippie by the corpulent old men who controlled the world. But overall, the 1960s were a time of immense social transformation; in aggregate, the do-nothing hippies did something.

This time they are bringing the immense social transformation to us, and it has the potential to be devastating beyond our limited imaginations. I know I didn't expect this much, this fast, not really. But when our institutions are failing this type of action is the only type of action we have left.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1822485898020815/

This is for anyone in NYC for the emergency rally tonight (there is also a NoDAPL one in Grand Central; that's how thick and fast these things are coming) but the language is broad enough that it can be recycled for any future actions. If anyone wants to steal it, feel free

Passed along to my NYC peeps.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Apparently Pete Buttigieg was the only candidate for DNC Chair actually in attendance at the rallies on Saturday. The other candidates were at a fundraiser event for billionaires. I'm about to go talk about this in the Elections thread, but I just thought anyone in here not in the other threads might like to know.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    My problem is that I no longer have the capability to be angry, more specifically to be enraged. It's hard to show respect for someone that is angry when you can't empathize with them and do not understand their passion.

Here is my thing. I find myself to be sorta anti-third wave feminist/anti-SJW as I believe they have gone beyond wanting equality and instead have push into man hating and using PC as a way to censor free speech that doesn't reflect their views (pushing right wing speakers out of colleges because they want a "safe space" being an example of that), but I also look at their perspectives and I understand their reasons to be angry. They see a world on fire, where, to quote Anita Sarkeesian, "Everything is racist. Everything is sexist. Everything is homophobic" and it gets to them. I don't agree with that logic, not saying there isn't sexism, racism, and homophobia, but I get why they think like that. But they aren't going to win anyone over to their side by making enemies. (Either are the anti-SJW crew who just call these people stupid and worst but that's another story).

I was so happy to see the March was mostly peaceful (I've seen a few videos that suggest it wasn't 100% peaceful but nothing turned into riots and looting) but I think it's a bit too late. Trump doesn't care about them and their March. He cares that he's running the show now. Right now, we should be looking to show up in record numbers in two years and cut his legs out from under him if we can. We need to be reaching out with open hands and making friends with the other sides. We need to find a middle ground and stop blaming each other for perceived sins. Alienating each other is how Trump won and continuing to do so will be how he continues winning.

The thing about racism and sexism and homophobia is that admitting that they're wrong doesn't make them go away. Everyone is part of the problem to some extent, even if they philosophically oppose it. People really, really hate hearing that, though, enough so that they consider it an offensive attack. Because of this, reaching out to others generally requires that you cover up how severe the problem actually is, and let them feel like they're making more of an impact than they really are.

I can see why the SJW crowd would be angry about that, feeling that "liberal" society is marginalizing them so that sexists can feel better about themselves. All I can really fault many of them for is a lack of self-awareness about their own inherent flaws and how much change they're really making. Standing apart from society and being angry about it does nothing to bring change, they need to push their views into mainstream society in ways that will lead other people to identify with them.

Of course it doesn't help that when they do try, it tends to result in people (whether aware or unaware of their sexism) attacking them much more vigorously. Look at Gamergate, for example. A ton of people are angry that gaming is slowly growing more diverse, even though they're not losing out on anything they had in the past. All they care about is that if supposedly "better" games are being made, the people who create and play those games might believe that existing styles and genres are "worse", and that gamers are "worse" as well for playing them. They identify with the status quo to the extent that any effort to change it becomes a personal attack on them.

Yup. This is the core of the problem. It's why conversations about tone can so often be useless.

Yes, there's bad ways to state the message being pushed but it's also important to understand that there is in some cases no good way to state the message since any change from the status quo is perceived as an attack.

Obama was an attack on the identity of white (conservative for the most part but not entirely) america simply by existing. Just by being black and being president.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Sorry for my disjointed thoughts here, trying to get them down when I have a headache. Part of what is going on here is that "anger" itself is in some ways stigmatized in American society. Being angry and showing it can, to some people, instantly delegitimize what you are saying, especially if that anger is coming from women/minorities. There is also a stigma against taking anger from someone else. Sometimes you have stand and take it when someone is angry, whether or not it's towards you. It shows a certain kind of respect to the angry person.

It just hit me how stigmatizing anger is an excellent way for the dominant group in a society to maintain that dominance by defanging activist before said activist even start.

This is the thing, you can be angry, but... And this is my personal opinion, but people don't like it when you go on the offense, when you accuse them as a group of some great evil. Not everyone who voted for Trump hates women, minorities, and the LGBT people, some wanted him to create jobs. Some didn't like Hilary, or the DNC, and how they treated Sanders. Some people got tried of the same old deal of politicians and saw Trump as a honest (brutally for better or worst) business man. But one thing I see time and time again is the people accusing people who voted for Trump are being labeled as racist, sexist, misogynistic. And no one is going to want to have an honest discussion with someone who is attacking you like that. Trump got a lot of votes because of many on the left calling white people, conservative people, and men these things and all it did was push a large part of the population way and create a larger gap between the left and right. You can be angry, but it seems like anger is clouding everyone's logic, and we are acting on emotions. I've seen it here in Penny Arcade. You see it on your Facebook pages. You see it on TV and YouTube.

What is going to change things isn't anger. It's rational thought. It's clear minds. It's people putting down their guns and sitting down and talking. It's not accusing anyone of being racist, sexist, or misogynistic. It's looking at the world from their sides and finding a middle ground.

The thing is, even if you aren't personally racist, homophobic, sexist, etc....You voted for someone who is. You helped put into power someone who is. You helped make it mainstream and okay that the most powerful man in the world sexually assaulted women, called Mexicans rapists and murderers, wants to stop any and all immigration from muslim countries. You helped embolden the very worst in our society by putting that into power. You helped put a literal Nazi in to the second-in-command to the President role.

So how am I, a Jewish man with a wife and young daughter, supposed to take that? That's a direct attack on me, my family, and my friends. You are telling me that you're okay with my daughter getting groped against her consent, you're okay with someone making attacks against my fellow Jews.

Nobody likes being called racist, because it makes them feel bad. Well, you know what? If you don't want to be called racist, don't do racist shit, and don't vote for a racist to be the godamn President.

As a fellow Jew, no. I'm not ok with your daughter or my niece getting groped. I'm not ok with Pence and his fucktardness. I'm not ok with Jeff Sessions having any say in the federal government. It's why I vote for Hilary at the end.

But it wasn't an easy choice. I never liked Obama, hated Obamacare with a passion after it failed my friend with cancer and he ended up dying because the loopholes and lack of good care didn't come until he left America, when it was too late. I saw Hilary as much of the same. I saw her campaign to be president as dirty. Using her charity to fund her campaign, taking in the chairwoman who was involved in making sure that Bernie Sanders wasn't going to get the nomination, it felt dirty to me to vote for her. And I would have liked a businessman like Trump to take the reign, but his personal ego, the groping joke, and his flip-floppy stance on LGBT rights made me turn away at the end.

But I also see, being from Alabama, where and why people supported him. The only jobs here in my area are fast food, family owned farms, and maybe a factory job if you live close enough. Police are overwhelmed by crime in most of the major cities and BLM is making their jobs harder. Then you have feminist, BLM, and other Social Justice groups whole sale calling people racist, sexist, and homophobic because they don't want more of Obama with Hilary, and it's hard to say no to voting for Trump. It was for me. But what I think turned a lot of the people away from the left was the SJW groups, who would alienated those who leaned right, and sought to condemn everyone who even questioned Hilary or Obama by calling them racist, sexist, and homophobic. They decided that they couldn't support such groups. And they were wrong to vote Trump. But so were the people who pushed them. If someone had tried to reach to those like me who weren't 100% one side or the other, instead of pushing them away, Hilary would have won. And that's all I'm saying.

Someone pointed out that many Trump supporters wanted to get back to the 1950s way, when life was simple. You know why we believe the 1950s was simple? Because we had just gotten done with a Depression and War. We covered up war scars with fancy cars, nice picket houses, and turned a blind eye to the nastiness because we had had enough of it. You know why we are wanting that again? Because we just when through two wars, a housing market collapse and now a social war that threatens to break out into a race/sex war. Those people are just wanting to feel safe, wanting to hide the ugliness. And that's what Trump promised. He played on those people. The left kept throwing that ugliness in their faces and said "YOU'RE TO BLAME" and they responded with "NO, WE AREN'T" and now we got what we got. Everyone is the villain and victim here because no one wanted to look for the middle ground.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Can I just say that some of ya'll, notably Mim, Optimus Zed, Hakkekage, and Desktop Hippie, have elevated the discussion here so much it's legit intimidating to participate. That's not a bad thing. It's a fantastic reminder that so often the best thing for many of us to do is shut up, listen, and learn a thing or two. It feels like it actually is the old "public discussion about race" that we're always told to have but never seems to happen,

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This is a great article and helpful to me today as it is Day fucking 6 and I'm already feeling lost, awash in a sea of terribleness

https://medium.com/the-coffeelicious/how-to-stayoutraged-without-losing-your-mind-fc0c41aa68f3#.gsqo2vftb

Some highlights
    We have to stay outraged for the next four years and resist the powerful urge to adapt to the new normal. But that doesn’t mean you have to live the next four years in a constant state of anxiety and anger. It means, when you do think about Trump and his minions, the appropriate feeling is outrage. But you can’t live like that all the time, and that means you have to spend a significant amount of time not thinking about Trump and all the work that has to be done. Do not get used to Trump — get away from him.
    The movement works as a coalition of people focused on different issues, so don’t let anyone convince you that by focusing your energy on one or two issues, you have effectively sided with the bad guys on everything else. Ignore people who say things like, “you’re not a real feminist if you aren’t working to protect the environment” or “you’re betraying the cause of economic justice if you don’t show up for prison reform.” That’s all nonsense. There is a spectrum of support, and nobody can be everywhere at once.
    Don’t forget to play to your strengths. There’s no need to force yourself to do a kind of work that you find unpleasant or boring. If you’re a writer, write articles shedding light on important issues, convincing the other side or rallying your allies to action. If you’re an artist, make art with a conscience. Teachers can bring social justice into your curriculum. Lawyers can volunteer at free legal clinics, write amicus briefs, do pro bono work. Like to argue? Be the one who calls out the sexist comment at a dinner party when everyone else doesn’t know how to react. Love to bake? Bring cookies to activist meetings and homeless shelters. No matter what your passion is, there’s a way to use it for good and have a great time doing it.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    burbo wrote: »
    Can I just say that some of ya'll, notably Mim, Optimus Zed, Hakkekage, and Desktop Hippie, have elevated the discussion here so much it's legit intimidating to participate. That's not a bad thing. It's a fantastic reminder that so often the best thing for many of us to do is shut up, listen, and learn a thing or two. It feels like it actually is the old "public discussion about race" that we're always told to have but never seems to happen,

blushuu
    So It Goes wrote: »
    This is a great article and helpful to me today as it is Day fucking 6 and I'm already feeling lost, awash in a sea of terribleness

https://medium.com/the-coffeelicious/how-to-stayoutraged-without-losing-your-mind-fc0c41aa68f3#.gsqo2vftb

Some highlights

This is helpful, thank you

In addition to being sick the glow of the march has turned into boiling nausea and horror with each new awful EO, and I've barely focused on LSAT

I'm trying to stay involved and keep the flame alive but it's only day 6 and shits falling to pieces for me too ;_;

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    But I also see, being from Alabama, where and why people supported him. The only jobs here in my area are fast food, family owned farms, and maybe a factory job if you live close enough. Police are overwhelmed by crime in most of the major cities and BLM is making their jobs harder. Then you have feminist, BLM, and other Social Justice groups whole sale calling people racist, sexist, and homophobic because they don't want more of Obama with Hilary, and it's hard to say no to voting for Trump. It was for me. But what I think turned a lot of the people away from the left was the SJW groups, who would alienated those who leaned right, and sought to condemn everyone who even questioned Hilary or Obama by calling them racist, sexist, and homophobic. They decided that they couldn't support such groups. And they were wrong to vote Trump. But so were the people who pushed them. If someone had tried to reach to those like me who weren't 100% one side or the other, instead of pushing them away, Hilary would have won. And that's all I'm saying.

Someone pointed out that many Trump supporters wanted to get back to the 1950s way, when life was simple. You know why we believe the 1950s was simple? Because we had just gotten done with a Depression and War. We covered up war scars with fancy cars, nice picket houses, and turned a blind eye to the nastiness because we had had enough of it. You know why we are wanting that again? Because we just when through two wars, a housing market collapse and now a social war that threatens to break out into a race/sex war. Those people are just wanting to feel safe, wanting to hide the ugliness. And that's what Trump promised. He played on those people. The left kept throwing that ugliness in their faces and said "YOU'RE TO BLAME" and they responded with "NO, WE AREN'T" and now we got what we got. Everyone is the villain and victim here because no one wanted to look for the middle ground.

The "SJW" groups you're writing about have real, life-threatening concerns that the people in power are ignoring, especially BLM. So do the people in your area who are desperate for jobs and dealing with poverty and crime. Those groups and the people from your area are not working at cross-purposes; the same people and policies are causing the different hardships. It's tough to get called a racist or a homophobe, but it's worse to get stopped by police and fear for your life every time. There is no race/sex war coming - that's fearmongering, and a lot of people bought into it because they think it's going to affect their lives for the worse to implement the policies the "SJW" groups are championing. It's not. That's right-wing spin.

Don't turn away from nastiness, especially not your own. You can be complicit in racism without being a racist, you can be complicit in homophobia without being a homophobe. I know I am. There's a nastiness that breeds introspection and a clearer view of the world, and there's a nastiness that turns the blame for your problems onto others. That second nastiness won the election because it's the easier choice.

BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Some highlights
    We have to stay outraged for the next four years and resist the powerful urge to adapt to the new normal. But that doesn’t mean you have to live the next four years in a constant state of anxiety and anger. It means, when you do think about Trump and his minions, the appropriate feeling is outrage. But you can’t live like that all the time, and that means you have to spend a significant amount of time not thinking about Trump and all the work that has to be done. Do not get used to Trump — get away from him.
    The movement works as a coalition of people focused on different issues, so don’t let anyone convince you that by focusing your energy on one or two issues, you have effectively sided with the bad guys on everything else. Ignore people who say things like, “you’re not a real feminist if you aren’t working to protect the environment” or “you’re betraying the cause of economic justice if you don’t show up for prison reform.” That’s all nonsense. There is a spectrum of support, and nobody can be everywhere at once.
    Don’t forget to play to your strengths. There’s no need to force yourself to do a kind of work that you find unpleasant or boring. If you’re a writer, write articles shedding light on important issues, convincing the other side or rallying your allies to action. If you’re an artist, make art with a conscience. Teachers can bring social justice into your curriculum. Lawyers can volunteer at free legal clinics, write amicus briefs, do pro bono work. Like to argue? Be the one who calls out the sexist comment at a dinner party when everyone else doesn’t know how to react. Love to bake? Bring cookies to activist meetings and homeless shelters. No matter what your passion is, there’s a way to use it for good and have a great time doing it.

This is excellent.

I want to point out the first part is super important.

Stay involved and stay connected but decompress. Not every minute of every day must be focused on reading this. You will either go numb, fall apart, or even get kind of a traumatic stress disorder thing.

Take some time. Just walk away. The fight will be there when you come back. See your friends. Pet your dog. Hug your significant other/others. Sleep. Exercise. But take some time to let it clear and reset that anger meter.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    porpporp Registered User regular

Some highlights

Loved it! Will be sharing with my friends.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Re; the article SIG posted:

"Outrage Fatigue" is a known thing. If you stay raged up for too long, it breaks you inside.

Burnout is also a huge problem.

Live for yourself, work for change. A few, very special people can manage it the other way around, but it's best not to assume you're one of them.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Why women still need to protest, volume 140194305:

Screenshot%2B2017-01-25%2Bat%2B9.46.26%2BAM.png
    That's Amy Klobuchar, Senator from Minnesota.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Re; the article SIG posted:

"Outrage Fatigue" is a known thing. If you stay raged up for too long, it breaks you inside.

Burnout is also a huge problem.

Live for yourself, work for change. A few, very special people can manage it the other way around, but it's best not to assume you're one of them.

yeah, don't feel bad about taking some time away from the news and social media. we all need to recharge now and then. self care is important and sometimes that means walking away for a bit.

• Options
    That Klobuchar thing is pretty terrible.

Isn't that Van Holland in the nearground, as well?

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember seeing variations on this idea, and I think it's important to remind ourselves that 'sometimes the life you save is your own, and that's okay.'

We all have to do what we can, but we also have to recognize our limitations. In First Aid and emergency terms, we all want to be helping, to be responders, but we also have to be cognizant that we have limitations, and if we can push those safely that's great, but we do need to try to avoid becoming another 'victim'. It's okay to ask for help, it's okay to take a step back for the sake of your sanity. It is important not to drown in the tidal wave of bullshit that this administration seems to be hellbent on producing daily.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Just curious, please don't kill me.

I really dislike ACLU's advertisments saying "forgive" that one leak jackass who is stuck in Russia and whose name escapes me at the moment, I'm not feeling well today. Before I donate to them, does the work they do outweigh that kind of hipstery bullshit?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

I really dislike ACLU's advertisments saying "forgive" that one leak jackass who is stuck in Russia and whose name escapes me at the moment, I'm not feeling well today. Before I donate to them, does the work they do outweigh that kind of hipstery bullshit?

Absolutely. Edward Snowden, btw.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Thank you. I will happily donate. Also, fuck that guy forever.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

To be fair, McCain and Sanders are way more famous due to their respective presidential runs.

However, I've got a feeling a male senator would have been recognized.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I mean, my forum going ass can recognize I think every Democratic Senator. I get lost with all the anonymous Republican assholes from the Great Plains though. I'd hope actual journalists could do better.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

To be fair, McCain and Sanders are way more famous due to their respective presidential runs.

However, I've got a feeling a male senator would have been recognized.

Given that Chris Van Holland is literally standing in front of her in this shot, you may be overestimating the knowledge base at work, here.

• Options
    Van Hollen, and at least he's in profile.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Do you suppose the tech and entertainment sector have stolen all the best minds from these institutions

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I mean, my forum going ass can recognize I think every Democratic Senator. I get lost with all the anonymous Republican assholes from the Great Plains though. I'd hope actual journalists could do better.

I'm still not familiar with everybody's name, though it grows with time. Always forget Warren's counterpart, for instance, or both of the folks from Tennessee.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Sorry for my disjointed thoughts here, trying to get them down when I have a headache. Part of what is going on here is that "anger" itself is in some ways stigmatized in American society. Being angry and showing it can, to some people, instantly delegitimize what you are saying, especially if that anger is coming from women/minorities. There is also a stigma against taking anger from someone else. Sometimes you have stand and take it when someone is angry, whether or not it's towards you. It shows a certain kind of respect to the angry person.

It just hit me how stigmatizing anger is an excellent way for the dominant group in a society to maintain that dominance by defanging activist before said activist even start.

This is the thing, you can be angry, but... And this is my personal opinion, but people don't like it when you go on the offense, when you accuse them as a group of some great evil. Not everyone who voted for Trump hates women, minorities, and the LGBT people, some wanted him to create jobs. Some didn't like Hilary, or the DNC, and how they treated Sanders. Some people got tried of the same old deal of politicians and saw Trump as a honest (brutally for better or worst) business man. But one thing I see time and time again is the people accusing people who voted for Trump are being labeled as racist, sexist, misogynistic. And no one is going to want to have an honest discussion with someone who is attacking you like that. Trump got a lot of votes because of many on the left calling white people, conservative people, and men these things and all it did was push a large part of the population way and create a larger gap between the left and right. You can be angry, but it seems like anger is clouding everyone's logic, and we are acting on emotions. I've seen it here in Penny Arcade. You see it on your Facebook pages. You see it on TV and YouTube.

What is going to change things isn't anger. It's rational thought. It's clear minds. It's people putting down their guns and sitting down and talking. It's not accusing anyone of being racist, sexist, or misogynistic. It's looking at the world from their sides and finding a middle ground.

The thing is, even if you aren't personally racist, homophobic, sexist, etc....You voted for someone who is. You helped put into power someone who is. You helped make it mainstream and okay that the most powerful man in the world sexually assaulted women, called Mexicans rapists and murderers, wants to stop any and all immigration from muslim countries. You helped embolden the very worst in our society by putting that into power. You helped put a literal Nazi in to the second-in-command to the President role.

So how am I, a Jewish man with a wife and young daughter, supposed to take that? That's a direct attack on me, my family, and my friends. You are telling me that you're okay with my daughter getting groped against her consent, you're okay with someone making attacks against my fellow Jews.

Nobody likes being called racist, because it makes them feel bad. Well, you know what? If you don't want to be called racist, don't do racist shit, and don't vote for a racist to be the godamn President.

As a fellow Jew, no. I'm not ok with your daughter or my niece getting groped. I'm not ok with Pence and his fucktardness. I'm not ok with Jeff Sessions having any say in the federal government. It's why I vote for Hilary at the end.

But it wasn't an easy choice. I never liked Obama, hated Obamacare with a passion after it failed my friend with cancer and he ended up dying because the loopholes and lack of good care didn't come until he left America, when it was too late. I saw Hilary as much of the same. I saw her campaign to be president as dirty. Using her charity to fund her campaign, taking in the chairwoman who was involved in making sure that Bernie Sanders wasn't going to get the nomination, it felt dirty to me to vote for her. And I would have liked a businessman like Trump to take the reign, but his personal ego, the groping joke, and his flip-floppy stance on LGBT rights made me turn away at the end.

Clearly, what we need to do now is make these people's lives a living hell. That way, they know they have no route of escaping reality. Make it clear that Trump won't keep them safe. Smash the Fash.

Edit: Also, I would feel a LOT more sympathy for not wanting to deal with two wars and a financial crisis if all that shit wasn't their fault to begin with.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Thank you. I will happily donate. Also, fuck that guy forever.

Fuck that guy or not, the ACLU defends an essential right to a fair trial and legal representation for lots of people who as individuals may be horrible human beings. That's part of having a justice system that is (in theory) non-descriminatory. You can't circumvent the law to punish someone without trial, even if they admit guilt.

Edit: Plenty of stuff is much easier to support because it's what is morally satisfying. Standing rock or anti-racism work. Gotta take it all as how our laws need to be followed for everyone.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Reminder that Edward Snowden and Julian Assange are different people and that many of the things people think Snowden did are actually things Assange did.

A buddy of mine got really mad at me a while back for retweeting something Snowden said about infosec and we got into it and he was like "dude the WikiLeaks guy is a prick"

well yes Kyle the WikiLeaks guy IS a prick you're not wrong there, but that guy is Julian Assange, not Edward Snowden.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Reminder that Edward Snowden and Julian Assange are different people and that many of the things people think Snowden did are actually things Assange did.

A buddy of mine got really mad at me a while back for retweeting something Snowden said about infosec and we got into it and he was like "dude the WikiLeaks guy is a prick"

well yes Kyle the WikiLeaks guy IS a prick you're not wrong there, but that guy is Julian Assange, not Edward Snowden.

Fuckin' Kyle, every goddamned time.

"No, Kyle, not everybody wants a Bloomin' Onion, we're getting a sampler platter with something for everybody."

"No, Kyle, you don't get to be mad when we don't want to go to the strip club; three-fourths of the crowd was looking forward to a D&D one-shot, so you're outnumbered. Again."

Fuckin' Kyle.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

"No, Kyle, not everybody wants a Bloomin' Onion, we're getting a sampler platter with something for everybody."

"No, Kyle, you don't get to be mad when we don't want to go to the strip club; three-fourths of the crowd was looking forward to a D&D one-shot, so you're outnumbered. Again."

Fuckin' Kyle.

Fuck you, I'd split a Boomin' Onion with Kyle.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Fuckin' Kyle.

Fuck you, I'd split a Boomin' Onion with Kyle.

You should let that typo stand since that's what will probably happen to your colon.

Kyle's too.

• Options
    The NYC immigration rally is still ongoing. I stayed for an hour and a half but my cold is really getting to me and I had to leave feeling dizzy. Some really amazing speakers including, shockingly, the NYC Comptroller. He cited NYC immigrants make $100bn in income, pay $1bn in taxes--then shouted Donald Trump you are an IDIOT. It was great

From what I could tell, good turnout too esp for something organized last minute.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

No, they are calling these things racists, sexists and homophobes, among other things, because that's what they are.

Like, sorry, that's what Trump was proposing. He's the birther in chief. He launched his campaign on the back of building a wall to keep those rapist mexicans out. He said he wanted to ban all muslims from entering the US. That's what Trump promised.

Sorry, but this is all bullshit. What pushes these people away is things like "hey, maybe women should have control over their own reproductive choices?" or "hey, maybe being black doesn't mean the police should just be able to kill you for no reason and without consequence". Cause that's what those groups you are attacking here are actually saying.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The NYC immigration rally is still ongoing. I stayed for an hour and a half but my cold is really getting to me and I had to leave feeling dizzy. Some really amazing speakers including, shockingly, the NYC Comptroller. He cited NYC immigrants make $100bn in income, pay $1bn in taxes--then shouted Donald Trump you are an IDIOT. It was great

From what I could tell, good turnout too esp for something organized last minute.

seen a few tweets saying turnout was in hundreds at least, possibly into thousands. great that so many were able to turn up on so little notice.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck
    Russia prepares to decriminalize some domestic violence

When the orthodox church is pushing for these kind of sexist, backwards and oppressive legislation in fucking 2016 you understand why women were some of the foremost supporters of communism and their desire to crush religion. The soviet union had good sides and bad sides (mostly bad sides), but pushing for equality and womens rights was definitely one of the good things. Now Russia is just rolling backwards all the way to the 19th century. What's next, making marital rape legal again? Fuck you Russia. Fuck you Putin. Fuck you and all your machismo buddies (and that definitely includes Trump).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I just want to chip in a thought here that occured to me. I think some of you will get this?

"Intersectionality is the heart of democracy."

Sorry if this ain't quite what you do here in D&D, I don't hang around here much.

Label on