Options

[MechWarrior Online] The fix for that Stompy Bot craving.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Did my first faction match. It was just 4 lights vs 4 lights, defending on scouting. It was super fun!

Ah that was scouting. Not the Invasion part where you have 4 drops of mechs.

Sorry I had to bail on you and @Nax earlier today. The Marauder you bought is fun with 4 ML and 2 UAC 5 on it. It doesn't have the ppc range but puts out some major hurt.

Well, scouting is fun. I just wish we were clanners, lol. And no worries on bailing. I'm very much a casual every one comes and goes style player.

There is a smaller clan outfit. You can join that if you want to do faction warfare. It doesn't matter for the quick-play drops.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nax wrote: »
    @Buttcleft @spectrum This build has the engine, 2 tons of ammo, and the AMS in the center torso, but the AMS is taking one of the ammo spots?

Why are you putting AMS on it?

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess because I read that page wrong :)

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Its so much work just putting 300 damage up in a locust.

Good god, why am I subjecting myself to this..

But I got the 3S basic'd

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Buttcleft spectrum This build has the engine, 2 tons of ammo, and the AMS in the center torso, but the AMS is taking one of the ammo spots?
    No AMS in the build you originally linked.
    Buttcleft wrote: »

But I got the 3S basic'd

It's considered one of the worst ones for a reason. Only the -3V is worse.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AMS is only worth bringing if your mech has 2+ AMS mounts, and even then it's a bit of an oddball novelty.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Buttcleft spectrum This build has the engine, 2 tons of ammo, and the AMS in the center torso, but the AMS is taking one of the ammo spots?
    No AMS in the build you originally linked.

But I got the 3S basic'd

It's considered one of the worst ones for a reason. Only the -3V is worse.

I like the 3S.

Its the first locust I fully Basic'd and I only bought it for the SRM light meching last night.

I ended up removing one ton of ammo in favor of a Mlas. it both increases my alpha damage and gives me a fallback weapon.

• Options
    AMS is only worth bringing if your mech has 2+ AMS mounts, and even then it's a bit of an oddball novelty.

If you have spare tonnage and are crit/heat locked it's fine. Sometimes the AMS bubble saves enough damage across the team to be worth it. Also fat mechs that need facetime to do their damage get better use out of it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I dont know if its a result of poor positioning/map knowledge or what, but as soon as I show my face, its constant missiles until I die, pretty much

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Soooo, suggestions for the Jester, Butterbee, BountyHunter and ShadowCat?

Shadowcats generally run 2xERPPC and pretend to be useful for most of the match.

Jester is 4xLPL, XL280

Butterbee is 4xSRM6+A, 4xML/4xSPL, XL300

I don't know Marauders well enough to give a Bounty Hunter build. Looks like 3xLPL+4ML with a STD is meta, gives you a strong side peek. You could run 4xLPL with an XL300 and get JJs back but Marauders aren't spectacular at hillhumping with their arm weapons so I probably wouldn't.

Pretty much my builds, except I'm running 4xERLLs on my Jester lately. Every match is now a long range snipe fest.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Well, I dont know if its a result of poor positioning/map knowledge or what, but as soon as I show my face, its constant missiles until I die, pretty much

LRMs are extremely common in low tier matchmaking games. Due to a mix of them being easy to use, a fear among new players of exposing oneself to enemy fire, a lack of realization of their inefficiency (compounded by the deceptively high damage numbers they put out), and the lack of radar deprivation modules. They become extremely terrible once you reach the point where you get matched against people who have radar deprivation. Radar deprivation instantly breaks the target lock when you break line of sight. Any missiles fired will go dumb and fly off into the abyss unless you can reacquire a lock. I'm not exaggerating when I say "instantly." Lamp posts become a means to break the lock.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    We were talking Locusts, right?

Sorry for audio, didn't feel like stopping my stream in the background.
    This is why I favor this Locust most of all, you have so much more poke power when it's not safe, in trade for no alpha and less brawl potential (though you never overheat ever, so that's a thing). This is the one Locust I say can get away with (and even should be able to go stationary at times)
    Also when you're firing point blank LRMs for no damage and I TK with the lightest of splash that is not my fault : (
    And the enemy Bushwhacker is also why you should try and put backup weapons on, almost no matter what, unless it would completely cripple you to do so

https://youtu.be/7NPWnLx4Lrg

MiyZ4i7.jpg

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    "I accidentally killed a Kodiak in my Locust"
    -- Spectrum

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You guys are seriously like 1000% more efficient to play with for getting those lance in formation things for the tournament. Not going to get the 10 per day, so hopefully I can just play with the Oosiks enough to get there.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    You guys are seriously like 1000% more efficient to play with for getting those lance in formation things for the tournament. Not going to get the 10 per day, so hopefully I can just play with the Oosiks enough to get there.

Dropping in an assault with randoms helps with that, they tend to deathball and be too slow to run away from you so you can get the lance in formations. In mediums or lights it is basically impossible with pugs.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    I want some premium time and it seriously seems like just buying a bushwacker pack would be a better way to do it than buying it through funbux. Someone help me walk through this logic.

• Options
    I want some premium time and it seriously seems like just buying a bushwacker pack would be a better way to do it than buying it through funbux. Someone help me walk through this logic.

Packs are generally the way to go for the 30 days time, plus 3 mechs, plus 3 mechbays. I'm enjoying my bushwhackers but there are probably much better bundles to get depending on what you want to add to your collection.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Packs are generally the way to go for the 30 days time, plus 3 mechs, plus 3 mechbays. I'm enjoying my bushwhackers but there are probably much better bundles to get depending on what you want to add to your collection.

True, I guess buying assaults is just more efficient cbill wise.

• Options

Yeah, something like the Kodiak pack is crazy efficient cbill wise, but, also just get what you think will be the most fun to run, :D

• Options

LRMs are extremely common in low tier matchmaking games. Due to a mix of them being easy to use, a fear among new players of exposing oneself to enemy fire, a lack of realization of their inefficiency (compounded by the deceptively high damage numbers they put out), and the lack of radar deprivation modules. They become extremely terrible once you reach the point where you get matched against people who have radar deprivation. Radar deprivation instantly breaks the target lock when you break line of sight. Any missiles fired will go dumb and fly off into the abyss unless you can reacquire a lock. I'm not exaggerating when I say "instantly." Lamp posts become a means to break the lock.

Ok, that makes sense. I played a ton of games last night and while the early ones tended to end quickly for me, the later ones I was more successful in. I still feel like, for an Assault, I am pretty fragile. I try to torso twist as much as possible (esp against the LRM spam), but it's not working out for me yet. Is the ludicrously low rear armor on this metamechs build a result of assuming perfect torso twisting and a team that backs up the assault? I'm wondering if I should drop a little on the front/arms/legs in favor of rear while I learn?

I started with a quad Ultra AC5 build, and in a few games it really worked very well. I swapped to dual AC20 and a LPL toward the end and felt like I did a bit better with that

• Options
    60hsuvpia3yr.jpg

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

Would have been 5 kills if it wasn't for a jackass finishing my targets off at the extreme edge of his IS ML range (literally, he was stealing my kills at like 500m)

• Options
    I accidentally retracted the invite to Tiger Burning by Capnnips. My bad. It was flashing as an alert that I had an invitation pending to someone, so I figured I'd accidentally group invited or something and retracted. Sorry. :X

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    @Tiger Burning You should now have an invite to the Oosik Irregulars waiting for you in-game. If you'd rather be in the Clan-side unit, let me know and I'll send one from there instead

Sorry for the delay! Welcome aboard!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I accidentally retracted the invite to Tiger Burning by Capnnips. My bad. It was flashing as an alert that I had an invitation pending to someone, so I figured I'd accidentally group invited or something and retracted. Sorry. :X

Sorry? You can't un-break a heart, son.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    No problems. Just sent a new invite.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I was on polar highlands, domination, which as you may know..is the saltiest of salty maps for me.

Regardless, I, in my trusty locust, rush ahead with a Pirates Bane and a Viper to grab the circle and begin the countdown.

We get about 20 seconds off the clock when the enemy team gets in and stops it. At this point the PB and Viper fuck off, and I'm playing peek and poke with an adder and a cheetah while both sides heavier assets come up. Once our main force engages, I retreat, circle wide (really fucking wish they would orient the maps so you can have north/south/east/west) and come around behind the entire enemy team, Sadly I am spotted by a 2xERPPC Shadowcat. I dodge and weave and give him the hurt, but a Mad Dog moves to join the fun.. so I retreat to cover and come face first with a Mauler. I dance around all 3 of them popping off shots and doing damage, until I get my chance and break for it.

Turns out, I got the entire enemy fucking team to squirrel on me. Literally, the entire fucking team has turned to come deal with me.. Giving their backs to the rest of my team as I go full squirrel and run, dodging an weaving, away. It takes their entire team encircling me, with an absurd amount of LRMs, before they finally pop a leg and sign my deathwarrant.

By this time the timer is about at 20 seconds now, and the enemy team is fairly far away.

Victory assured, right?

Nope. I don't know what kind of collective brain tumor developed in the team, but they also left the circle and chased down the enemy..and refused to stay in a group as they did it. So they get dropped one by one as they funnel into the enemy, throwing away and shitting upon the victory I had all but assured them. Entire allied team dead, enemy light gets on the point, Enemy Win.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    They wanted to chase the squirrel, too.

Plainly your performance was convincing.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

I actually like buying basic $20 mech packs to get my premium time. It gives me something new to level (3 of the chassis, too, so I can elite it) and 30 days of premium time. Since 30 days of premium time is $12, you're essentially spending $8 for 3 mechs, which isn't all that bad. You also get mech bays for the mechs which is an additional savings, not to mention warhorns or whatever doodads come with it.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

If you want to go Assaults, the Kodiak is a pretty good investment. Especially since all you have to do is play with the weapons since the engine is max, plus clan tech. The 3 is the typical one with 2 UAC10s and 2 UAC5s so you don't get ghost heat and can put out dangerous numbers. It is nice since the hardpoints are high and you pretty much just shoot what you see. Or you can go with a troll build of 4LBX10s if you want.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    -- Spectrum

I had a legitimate shot at the enemy Kodiak earlier because he was such a potato. I'm pretty sure 3 more shots would have done it and he wasn't moving until my teammate showed up on the front side.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    -- Spectrum

I had a legitimate shot at the enemy Kodiak earlier because he was such a potato. I'm pretty sure 3 more shots would have done it and he wasn't moving until my teammate showed up on the front side.

The biggest obstacle to success is everyone else.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Ok, that makes sense. I played a ton of games last night and while the early ones tended to end quickly for me, the later ones I was more successful in. I still feel like, for an Assault, I am pretty fragile. I try to torso twist as much as possible (esp against the LRM spam), but it's not working out for me yet. Is the ludicrously low rear armor on this metamechs build a result of assuming perfect torso twisting and a team that backs up the assault? I'm wondering if I should drop a little on the front/arms/legs in favor of rear while I learn?

I started with a quad Ultra AC5 build, and in a few games it really worked very well. I swapped to dual AC20 and a LPL toward the end and felt like I did a bit better with that

Your torso armor is shared across front and back, and should always be maxed. So if it isnt maxed, absolutely shave off some leg/arm/cockpit armor or some heatsinks/ammo/engine size to max it.

You really shouldnt need more than 10/12/10 across you backside, more than that encourages bad habits and punishes good ones.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    King Crabs are especially vulnerable to LRMs because their big, flat, helicopter landing pad body.

But AMS wont help. AMS is wasted tonnage unless you can mount 3 or more of them.

• Options
    I highly recommend the Kodiak 3, this was my last game from last night:
    NPRME6T.jpg

I actually managed to run out of ammo that game.

• Options
    the KDK-3 is so ridiculously, cartoonishly over powered, that a blind man with no arms could top the charts with it.

• Options
    the KDK-3 is so ridiculously, cartoonishly over powered, that a blind man with no arms could top the charts with it.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Of course Clan Assaults have the speed of IS Heavies and the firepower of 1.5 IS Assaults.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I can't decide on the best build for my mauler MX90, which is the only assault I have. I keep flipping between these three, and they never seem to click. Maybe IS assaults are just too slow. Taking 20 seconds to change forward/backward just murders my playstyle and gets me killed I think.
    6xAC2, 2xML: Pros: Fast rate of fire, and super long range. Great on long range, no cover maps like stupid iceland (broken 1k damage a few times). Cons: Need a lot of face time to shred a mech. 12damage is pretty shitty alpha damage.
    4xUAC5, 2xML: Pros: Good all rounder, with a fast 20/40damage alpha at good range. Cons: Still feel like I need a lot of face time to get a kill. UAC jams, and they seem to get destroyed extremely easily from crits (most games I'll lose 2 or 3 of them before a ST goes)
    2xAC20, 2xERLL: Pros: Nice fat football launchers for punching things in the face. ERLL are ok for poking away until things get within 300m. Cons: Hot as balls after 2 or 3 volleys. Mauler is a brick, so actually trying to maneuver after delivering an alpha is always a pain.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    I can't decide on the best build for my mauler MX90, which is the only assault I have. I keep flipping between these three, and they never seem to click. Maybe IS assaults are just too slow. Taking 20 seconds to change forward/backward just murders my playstyle and gets me killed I think.
    6xAC2, 2xML: Pros: Fast rate of fire, and super long range. Great on long range, no cover maps like stupid iceland (broken 1k damage a few times). Cons: Need a lot of face time to shred a mech. 12damage is pretty shitty alpha damage.
    4xUAC5, 2xML: Pros: Good all rounder, with a fast 20/40damage alpha at good range. Cons: Still feel like I need a lot of face time to get a kill. UAC jams, and they seem to get destroyed extremely easily from crits (most games I'll lose 2 or 3 of them before a ST goes)
    2xAC20, 2xERLL: Pros: Nice fat football launchers for punching things in the face. ERLL are ok for poking away until things get within 300m. Cons: Hot as balls after 2 or 3 volleys. Mauler is a brick, so actually trying to maneuver after delivering an alpha is always a pain.

MAL-MX90 2xAC20 2xSRM6 Endo STD300

MAL-MX90 "Sandblaster" 4xLBX10 STD260 Endo

• Options
    McGibs wrote: »

The meta is 5xAC/5 on a STD 285 or something close to that. You can also run 4xAC/5 with a max size engine instead.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just cant bring myself to run weaponless arms in a mech that doesnt have hand actuators.
    Ive tried the 5xAC5 build a few times, but found it pretty comparable to the 4xUAC5s

website_header.jpg