Options

Trump tax return docs from 2005 on Maddow (harrumph)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    This is all a bunch of filler. Cmon Rachel. How long is this segment?

She has half an hour. Probably the only story she wanted tonight. This is a deep dive

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Context is great, and I'm sure this is all news to a bunch of people who just heard about the return(s).

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Maddow is known for lengthy context. Like newss used to be.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    leaked "a portion" of his 2005 tax returns. Not even the whole thing people!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    She does a 20 minute narrative thing, goes to break, then reveals what they have and interviews somebody about it. Her show is really formulaic.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SO whole initial segment was context. MSNBC wants to collect the viewers

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Link to a daily beast article on what's in the returns by a Canadian Hill reporter

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    This is all a bunch of filler. Cmon Rachel. How long is this segment?

This is going to be 100% of the show and 100% of the next show. They need to keep the eyeballs on so I expect a long tease.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Trump is king of unforced errors. When people actually irritate him he loses his fucking mind. Whether this is "BIG NEWS" or not, this is fucking fantastic.

This is the part of the timeline where the penny gets put on the train tracks.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Trump is king of unforced errors. When people actually irritate him he loses his fucking mind. Whether this is "BIG NEWS" or not, this is fucking fantastic.

This is the part of the timeline where the penny gets put on the train tracks.

Trump has run over dozens of pennies by this point, and he's still chugging along.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    They showed up in the mailbox of the journalist that showed them to MSNBC.

• Options
    Looks like it's shaping up to be nothing?
    This is my grumpy face.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    wow she got 2 pages!! Does she know how many dependents he has now!!?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Documents were apparently mailed to Johnston anonymously.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Documents were apparently mailed to Johnston anonymously.

Hope whoever did the mailing has more?

• Options
    Turned it off. Hopefully someone can stomach watching the rest to see if there's anything at all interesting.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maybe there was a better way to announce "on tonight's program we have some 2005 Trump tax info" rather than "BREAKING."

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Turned it off. Hopefully someone can stomach watching the rest to see if there's anything at all interesting.

Nope. DailyBeast and etc. have it.

5dg369bu9h35.gif
    Sigh, Rachel why?

LoisLane on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Trump payed as much as he did because of the alternative minimum tax. He would have payed significantly less otherwise. Even with it though his tax rate for 150 million was about 25%. This seems to be boiling down to Trump doesn't pay much in taxes and wants to pay less.

Now they've said this document only demonstrates the amounts but not the sources of money. So they've moved on to speculating that there could be lots to hide depending on what his sources of income are.

Bah.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is embarrassing for journalism

• Options
    Basically American tax law is comically favorable to the rich is what we get from this. Which isn't much. We need sources of income.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Oh look, Al Capones vault all over again.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

What I want to know is why would she do this to herself? She knows she's going to get a backlash for it so why?

• Options
    It's not nothing, but it's not the main thing.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man I am super disappointed in Maddow

She should know better than to hype this up and treat it like a shocking reveal, this does nothing but give ammo to Trump in his war on journalism

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Basically American tax law is comically favorable to the rich is what we get from this. Which isn't much. We need sources of income.

Everyone in the world knows this too. It's axiomatic at this point. Rich/Powerful? Yeah, tax loopholes.

As someone else said Trump can now trot this out as proof that even the very dishonest media couldn't find anything. Sad!

That said, it's not like they could skip reporting it. I just wouldn't have pumped it up :/

• Options
    LoisLane wrote: »

What I want to know is why would she do this to herself? She knows she's going to get a backlash for it so why?

To get Trump to attack her?

Is the only reason I can come up with

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man I am super disappointed in Maddow

She should know better than to hype this up and treat it like a shocking reveal, this does nothing but give ammo to Trump in his war on journalism
    I mean, it really goes to show how important the few words you have with Twitter are.

• Options
    "The Girl who cried Russia!"

Breitbart headline writes itself.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    LoisLane wrote: »

To get Trump to attack her?

Is the only reason I can come up with

She's a gay female journalist. Her ass is already on the list. Maybe temporary insanity?

• Options
    It encourages further leaks, among other things.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Hopefully whoever leaked this both has more documents and intends to drag this thing out. A few weeks of talking about his tax returns could see an impact that a single dump wouldn't allow.

I fully expect nothing further to come of this any time soon, though.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    madddoooowww

what are you doing, you are going to give every trumple so much ammo with this shit

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It encourages further leaks, among other things.
    This is already the leakiest White House on record, hyping up a huge reveal people have been waiting on for almost 2 years now doesnt do much to encourage more of that in my opinion

It gives Trump more ammo to fire in regards to discrediting the news and now the next time there's a leak he can just compare it to this one in regards to not being a big deal

Like, releasing the documents is good obviously but "We have Trump Tax Returns" was the worst possible way to frame it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    yeah, this isn't nothing in and of itself.

This could be the vehicle in which maddow lets people know that if they have something there will be an audience.

but its not the sources, just the top page, and therefore nothing to see.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    madddoooowww

what are you doing, you are going to give every trumple so much ammo with this shit

What ammo?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Trump will probably say something dumb on Twitter about it though.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I think the best outcome of this would be another Trump tirade about leakers and starting a witch hunt for the guilty party.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So it's nothing, really?

he paid $38 million on whatever income, and that's all Ms. Maddow has got?

Goodness me if that's it that's some weak tea, here.

Label on
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »
    madddoooowww

What ammo?

Any misstep, no matter how small, is ammo. Hyping the shit out of this then showing it was a nothingburger casts shadow on the medias' credibility. There is a reason the boy who cried wolf is a multicultural spanning tale.

This discussion has been closed.