As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Education!

geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I've been thinking quite a bit about the subject of education lately. Quite a bit about how, post elementary school at least, the majority of my education hasn't come from school, but from my own experiences and efforts. And this led me into realizing just how utterly useless my college education would have been if I had just followed the path of least resistance in my chosen field. That hasn't been the case, and I pushed myself into taking harder courses than I needed to, and - more importantly - have done quite a bit of completely outside study.

All of this more or less got me thinking about the whole system, and how education works in most schools. They try to shove you in a box of their making, and in doing so they usually stifle quite a bit of our desire to learn and improve through knowledge and experience. Some of us get past that and learn to love learning again, but many of us don't. And in today's ever-changing world that is not a cost that we, as a society, can really bear.

Now, I just watched this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

Check it out, watch the whole thing. As well as having a great point, he's also hilarious, so the time flies.

And what I guess I'd really like to do is open this up to talking about the inherent problems built into our system of education, and what we could possibly do to get around it and better prepare our children for the modern post-industrial world that awaits them.

geckahn on

• Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Problem with real education, the kind of which you talk about doing yourself, is that the more you learn about something, you realise the less you know. A lot of people can't hack that, I suspect, it goes against our basic need to be able to define some kind of reality.

I also suspect that accounts for a lot of 'fact-based' education, and the inherent popularity of that kind of trivia, pub quiz, game-show accumulation of items of knowledge, as opposed to reasoned argument about complex issues, which inevitably comes down in a large degree to opinion.

But there are still plenty of wise fools (like myself) who have an entirely unreasonable optimism that if you learn enough about a thing, you will find some kind of demonstrable truth in the end.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have very little faith in the way my country handles education in almost every sector. It's certainly possible for a more coherent and positive system to exist, but the complexity of it all probably means we'll never see the radical restructuring hinted at in the OPs vid.

I think at this point the best we can do is be mindful as individuals and do our best to expand the way we learn and more importantly create, perhaps sometimes straying from what our society would deem acceptable.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I mentally cry in my science classes when the lady with the P.hd has to spend twenty minutes defending evolution from the creationist nutjobs that don't understand falsifiability.
    Also when the lecturer is talking to about 5% of the class, also makes me sad.
    The rest of the class just reads the book and learns only what is told to them.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's also the inherant problem of trying to teach large numbers of people from multiple and often diverse backgrounds the same information using the same methods.

If it were possible I would almost advocate getting more jobs back to the apprenticeship model, where you have a certified / credited person in the chosen field teaching their knowledge to the apprentice in a hands on environment.

Though that really doesnt work for some of the more philosophical pursuits espcially in fields where its not repetitive tasks you need to learn, but how to respond to different situations etc.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm doing my senior thesis on education reform. So far the only firm conclusion I've come to is that voucher programs/charter schools do not systematically improve educational achievement.

Shinto on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I'm doing my senior thesis on education reform. So far the only firm conclusion I've come to is that voucher programs/charter schools do not systematically improve educational achievement.

Are you finding that they have any benefits whatsoever? And do they seem like things that could be harnessed for good, or are they just fundamentally unworkable.

I've looked into them myself somewhat superficially, and they always seemed to have at least kernels of benefit lurking inside.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Are you finding that they have any benefits whatsoever? And do they seem like things that could be harnessed for good, or are they just fundamentally unworkable.

I've looked into them myself somewhat superficially, and they always seemed to have at least kernels of benefit lurking inside.

They benefit inner city black populations because their public schools are generally so bad that almost any change improves performance. My research has not found that they yield noticably higher scholastic achievement in most situations and I think it is for two reasons.

First of all, you need a lot of choices available for the force of competition to strongly take hold. Two, three, four, even five schools isn't enough. You need in the neighborhood of ten possible schools before results really start to jump out at you - so choice really only helps in highly populated urban environments that can support that number of schools. Second, in situations where there is a lot of choice, schools aren't always really competing directly against eachother. Rather, they specialize. Each school will have a focus or a philosophy that fills a niche market. So because the service in question is not homogenous that also disrupts the advantages of competition.

I think they do have some secondary benefits. Where charter schools are available, the enrollment in private schools shrinks. Because parents can choose one of those specialized niche options, they are happier with the school their child attends. I think both of those might increase the willingness of the taxpayers of the district to spend more on education.

Bascially, I think the situations where school choice has the best possibility to really change a situation is when you throw out the large scale voucher programs and the attempt to make education a business. If you take some of the really huge municiple school campuses and break them up into a lot of smaller charters and individual schools - kind of like a university with different colleges - and give students the option of attending any school on campus, I think that would help. It's cheaper too, because all the separate schools can share common services, like busing, nurses, cafeteria, administration bureaucracy etc. The Gates Foundation is experimenting with that kind of thing.

Shinto on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love learning but I was generally shunned in school for this tendency and learned quickly to sit in the back of the class and be smug and sandbag. I wholly support the idea of voucher programs on the principle that if something is broken, there (in TV biz lingo) is no wrong button: you just try everything and anything to fix it.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I love learning but I was generally shunned in school for this tendency and learned quickly to sit in the back of the class and be smug and sandbag. I wholly support the idea of voucher programs on the principle that if something is broken, there (in TV biz lingo) is no wrong button: you just try everything and anything to fix it.

I like experimentation too, but you don't just go blowing all kinds of taxpayer dollars on any proposal that walks through the door. There are a lot of monorail salesmen out there.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I like experimentation too, but you don't just go blowing all kinds of taxpayer dollars on any proposal that walks through the door. There are a lot of monorail salesmen out there.

With any luck, the taxpayers are sufficiently involved, but yeah, I see your point. I think vouchers are a decent risk, but then again I think decriminalizing drugs is a decent risk so I might be way out of the mainstream.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited December 2007

With any luck, the taxpayers are sufficiently involved, but yeah, I see your point. I think vouchers are a decent risk, but then again I think decriminalizing drugs is a decent risk so I might be way out of the mainstream.

My problem with large scale voucher programs is that they have been tried. Hell, 10% of school kids in Arizona go to charter schools paid for by vouchers. Yet Arizona hasn't done better than the national average in terms of education - it was in the bottom third of the country before and it is in the bottom third now. Same story with Michigan which has somewhere around 5% of its students in charters.

Abroad you have Argentina who transformed their entire education system into a voucher system. Achievement rose very very slightly in cities and fell in the countryside.

The engine which school choice relies on to have benefits is simply not a very powerful one except in some narrowly tailored circumstances.

Shinto on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm almost finished with my Elementary Education degree, and I already have my Associates in Early Childhood Education, and I've worked with elementary level kids for.. shit, six years now.

This is what I've deduced:

Elementary schools are fucked up because of Sputnick. It signified Russia pulling ahead in math and science. This is when we threw out anything progress we were making and went back to the basics. We have yet to recover.

Elementary Education programs are inherently flawed in the sense that they only require facetime with children at the very last portion of the degree. By that time, if you find out you hate kids, you're not going to pull the plug and get another degree, you'll just spend the rest of your life being bitter and fat. Probably.

Montessori is a step in the right direction, but it is not 'the answer' by any means. It's usually elective via a lottery, so you can teach shit like evolution and get no complaints because they signed up for it. That doesn't mean people don't complain, they just have no right to.

Education isn't heading the wrong direction, I would say we have more progressive teachers now than we've ever had, it's just that we're simply getting more poor people. Poor children tend to test lower than rich kids. It's sad but true. Compare kids who qualify for free lunch (read: poor) to kids who don't, it's directly correlated. It's not because they're inherently stupider, it's just that their home environment isn't conducive to learning. Go teach in a rich community sometime, that shit is EZ MODE.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i'll be honest, even as a grad student in education, i don't know a whole hell of a lot about charter schools.

but man, the faculty sure as hell hates em

also this:
    All of this more or less got me thinking about the whole system, and how education works in most schools. They try to shove you in a box of their making, and in doing so they usually stifle quite a bit of our desire to learn and improve through knowledge and experience. Some of us get past that and learn to love learning again, but many of us don't. And in today's ever-changing world that is not a cost that we, as a society, can really bear.

bleah. yeah, this happens, but every situation is different. without getting too far into it, it's really unfair to make a sweeping generalization about how schools operate and impart education. every classroom is unique.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

And that teaching by authority is one of the worst creations ever.

[EDIT]: I happen to feel this way, with the word of my philosophy's teacher on this. A man who actually wrote his big thesis paper (What's the term for it?) on that exact subject, and got his doctore or something like that in the specific field of the philosophy of education.

IT's like... It starts with a... Dissertation!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

And that teaching by authority is one of the worst creations ever.

[EDIT]: I happen to feel this way, with the word of my philosophy's teacher on this. A man who actually wrote his big thesis paper (What's the term for it?) on that exact subject, and got his doctore or something like that in the specific field of the philosophy of education.

IT's like... It starts with a... Dissertation!

wait, teaching by authority or teaching from authority?

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    whitey9 wrote: »
    I'm almost finished with my Elementary Education degree, and I already have my Associates in Early Childhood Education, and I've worked with elementary level kids for.. shit, six years now.

Elementary schools are fucked up because of Sputnick. It signified Russia pulling ahead in math and science. This is when we threw out anything progress we were making and went back to the basics. We have yet to recover.

Elementary Education programs are inherently flawed in the sense that they only require facetime with children at the very last portion of the degree. By that time, if you find out you hate kids, you're not going to pull the plug and get another degree, you'll just spend the rest of your life being bitter and fat. Probably.

Montessori is a step in the right direction, but it is not 'the answer' by any means. It's usually elective via a lottery, so you can teach shit like evolution and get no complaints because they signed up for it. That doesn't mean people don't complain, they just have no right to.

Education isn't heading the wrong direction, I would say we have more progressive teachers now than we've ever had, it's just that we're simply getting more poor people. Poor children tend to test lower than rich kids. It's sad but true. Compare kids who qualify for free lunch (read: poor) to kids who don't, it's directly correlated. It's not because they're inherently stupider, it's just that their home environment isn't conducive to learning. Go teach in a rich community sometime, that shit is EZ MODE.

I blame the opportunity cost of homework and studying (they don't have to pay to study, but they aren't payed either, unlike the part time job the could devote their time to).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

My problem with large scale voucher programs is that they have been tried. Hell, 10% of school kids in Arizona go to charter schools paid for by vouchers. Yet Arizona hasn't done better than the national average in terms of education - it was in the bottom third of the country before and it is in the bottom third now. Same story with Michigan which has somewhere around 5% of its students in charters.

Abroad you have Argentina who transformed their entire education system into a voucher system. Achievement rose very very slightly in cities and fell in the countryside.

The engine which school choice relies on to have benefits is simply not a very powerful one except in some narrowly tailored circumstances.

I don't disagree except to the extent that I feel for those poor souls that get forced to go to horrible schools. The solution is to have good teachers and administrators who give a damn. Hell there may be no solution. It might be that it sucks to be poor and, yes, Andover is always going to be a better place to go to school than Sunnydale High.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    whitey9 wrote: »

You're essentially arguing that NCLB is the exact opposite of where we need to go, correct?
    I don't know. I mean, I'm sort of partial to math because thats just what I'm good at but isn't there something to be said about focusing on what would eventually lead to more technological fields. In the TED talk the guy points out that the people who are the most successful at the school system are university professors. While I admit that being a university professor shouldn't be the societal ideal, whatever said ideal should be, but I don't see whats wrong with having more professors then dancers.
    And I also need to move in order to really think, which is why I developed pacing as a habit.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You're essentially arguing that NCLB is the exact opposite of where we need to go, correct?
    I don't know. I mean, I'm sort of partial to math because thats just what I'm good at but isn't there something to be said about focusing on what would eventually lead to more technological fields. In the TED talk the guy points out that the people who are the most successful at the school system are university professors. While I admit that being a university professor shouldn't be the societal ideal, whatever said ideal should be, but I don't see whats wrong with having more professors then dancers.
    And I also need to move in order to really think, which is why I developed pacing as a habit.

His point was that it's a system which tries to turn everyone into university professors, and no one into dancers.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

His point was that it's a system which tries to turn everyone into university professors, and no one into dancers.

We sure do. If you want to see exactly what this is doing to us, check out A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink. It basically speaks to the fact that all the ways we've been teaching and pushing our kids to go in the last few decades is exactly what we won't really need much longer.

Of course, education starts at the home.... maybe we should examine the parenting that's going on.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

We sure do. If you want to see exactly what this is doing to us, check out A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink. It basically speaks to the fact that all the ways we've been teaching and pushing our kids to go in the last few decades is exactly what we won't really need much longer.

Of course, education starts at the home.... maybe we should examine the parenting that's going on.

And in our desperation to improve the educational system here we're just making it worse. More of a focus on test scores, math, etc. and - going back a few democratic debates - the notion that our kids need to spend more time in school.

I feel like what this is all stemming from our changing economy in addition to our lackluster rankings in math and science as compared to say India and Japan. But what we're apparently forgetting is well, a couple things. First and foremost I would say that we're ignoring that we don't want to be like them - we are Americans - entrepreneurial and creative, and it's that gift of creation that we need to make sure we don't crush. Secondly, and this just screams to me - so loudly - but I just know that it's because I think of economics in everything, what we're forgetting is specialization. We all need the basics, but the way we teach those basics, and more importantly the way we are taught once all the basics are established (like, once we hit High School), basically work to constrain - for some of us - what we are passionate about. It does so by saying - you're not good at what we consider of utmost importance - so those kids become, in their minds, failures. And they take this and make it reality by never following what they really were good at in the first place, by killing their potential passion and following that life we pushed them into in elementary and high school.

I know that's sort of like, woah abstract, but to me it makes so much sense. And going on with what we're doing now to "fix" education, it's just like any other failed business model or tactic - you keep trying to fix it by fighting all the way to the bitter end. In reality what you needed all along was to stand back, take a look at what the future is actually going to look like and require of us, and adjust accordingly. Instead we're just strengthening that model that we adopted post-sputnik. And it just will not work.

geckahn on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

And in our desperation to improve the educational system here we're just making it worse. More of a focus on test scores, math, etc. and - going back a few democratic debates - the notion that our kids need to spend more time in school.

I feel like what this is all stemming from our changing economy in addition to our lackluster rankings in math and science as compared to say India and Japan. But what we're apparently forgetting is well, a couple things. First and foremost I would say that we're ignoring that we don't want to be like them - we are Americans - entrepreneurial and creative, and it's that gift of creation that we need to make sure we don't crush. Secondly, and this just screams to me - so loudly - but I just know that it's because I think of economics in everything, what we're forgetting is specialization. We all need the basics, but the way we teach those basics, and more importantly the way we are taught once all the basics are established (like, once we hit High School), basically work to constrain - for some of us - what we are passionate about. It does so by saying - you're not good at what we consider of utmost importance - so those kids become, in their minds, failures. And they take this and make it reality by never following what they really were good at in the first place, by killing their potential passion and following that life we pushed them into in elementary and high school.

I know that's sort of like, woah abstract, but to me it makes so much sense. And going on with what we're doing now to "fix" education, it's just like any other failed business model or tactic - you keep trying to fix it by fighting all the way to the bitter end. In reality what you needed all along was to stand back, take a look at what the future is actually going to look like and require of us, and adjust accordingly. Instead we're just strengthening that model that we adopted post-sputnik. And it just will not work.
    High school is supposed to give you the base needed to specialize in college, such as giving you the English skills to write and understand lab reports and articles in journals or the math skills to use stats to know if your theory is full of shit.
    MCAS seems to work pretty well in Mass, considering that it's first in the country in math, so I think there should be a national test, simply to stop what some states are doing to their state tests to get No Child funding: watering them down for better scores. That was the problem in Mass before MCAS: under performing schools giving easy grades.
    I do hate No Child, though.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I'm opposed to NCLB because it leaves almost no room for teaching things that I want to teach (art, science experiments, history), and the stuff that you do get to teach is nearly 100% scripted.. Go be a fly on the wall in a 5th grade class and use a stopwatch to record how often the teacher gets to teach. Then decrease it by about 15 minutes for each grade you go down. I work with kindergarteners. It's amazing how much we don't get to teach.

All is not lost though.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, there does need to be incentive for schools to perform. That does provide a motivation.

I believe it was . . . North Carolina? Back in the 90s they started issuing public grades to schools. Schools that got a D or F really did show improvement.

Additionally, it's been shown that if an incentive, a motivation is there, reducing class size can raise achievement. It gives teachers an opportunity to expend more resources on each student - but unless some kind of motivation is there the teacher will more often not exploit the opportunity.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Additionally, it's been shown that if an incentive, a motivation is there, reducing class size can raise achievement. It gives teachers an opportunity to expend more resources on each student - but unless some kind of motivation is there the teacher will more often not exploit the opportunity.

What does exploiting the opportunity mean in this case? Working less hard or something?

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »

What does exploiting the opportunity mean in this case? Working less hard or something?

They don't shift their teaching style to one that would give more attention to individual students. They keep teaching as though there are 30 kids in the room even when there are maybe 16.

Shinto on
  • Options
    CheeriosCheerios Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think one of the largest problems with the current education system stems from the fact that most teacher merely dictate lectures to the class room and don't bother to engage students in discussion. I think that more emphasis should be placed on the Socratic method of teaching so that teachers can challenge and engage the interest of students rather then just letting kids get bored and lose interest in learning.

Cheerios on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cheerios wrote: »
    I think one of the largest problems with the current education system stems from the fact that most teacher merely dictate lectures to the class room and don't bother to engage students in discussion. I think that more emphasis should be placed on the Socratic method of teaching so that teachers can challenge and engage the interest of students rather then just letting kids get bored and lose interest in learning.

The Socratic method doesn't work for all grades, in fact it works for very few grades. The emphasis of late has been placed on Social Constructivism and Experiential Methodology. Simply put, involve the community and make your teaching relevant to their surroundings through lots of hands on projects. Socratic method places a lot of emphasis on self discovery, which is great, but try and teach fractions to third graders through self discovery.

It's all about making the learning seem important to the student so they're likely to retain it.

While smaller classrooms are a wonderful idea, it's not always viable. It's not that the teachers are teaching to 30 when their are really 16 because they're dumb or stubborn, it's because they (usually older teachers) have never had to teach another way. They came from a very formulaic school of thought. To them, it gets the job done, so whatever. Retirement is 15 years away, and they simply can't get fired, so why go to the trouble of learning a new way to teach? It's not right, but that's how it is.

Another reason that they're not getting the results they expect out of smaller classrooms is the increase of troubled kids through that ideal that 'everybody deserves a spot in your room'. I did 5th grade for a while, and their was a kid who would crumple other kid's papers, steal shit, whatever. It was a relatively small classroom, but I was spending 15 minutes every hour trying to get this kid to not do awful shit. In the era of huge classrooms, he would have probably been with a really small focus group or been worked with one on one, but because we have a small class, I should be able to handle any crazy desk-throwing motherfucker they put in their.

This is why their isn't one solution to fixing education.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The problem with all made up criteria is that they are made up. Price of doing business. If you think the market is failing and you intervene, then you best pay attention and make sure your intervention is having a desired effect. If it isn't, do something else. Not an easy task but a pretty important one.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    THERE! THERE! THERE!

Marty81 on