Options

Persona 3: Trinities, Souls, and Cellphones

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah, thanks Ice. :) I thought I was just blind. I ran around a bit, but didn't see anything. I just finished another sub boss on Floor 244. I've only got one more to go. After the next one, can I fight Nyx, or do I have to wait till the next full moon?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ah hah! Now I know what you guys are talking about.... I think I need to stock up on some Revival Beads. :) (EXP is amazing!!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just make an Alice and run from anything immune to Death magic.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Just make an Alice and run from anything immune to Death magic.

Well, after having my teammates die a few times, it's become much easier. Especially now I know what their weakness is. Though it's extremely annoying to have Mitsuru cast Mind Charge instead of Mabufudyne, which would save at least one person from dying... Other than that, I'm able to take care of most everything without a hitch. :)

Surt is great down here. He's got Drain Slash, so most monsters that use Deathbound immediately heal me for max. The problem is that everyone else usually dies when they cast that attack. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not joking, an Alice with Mudo Boost and a Daisojou (I completely spelled that wrong) with Hama Boost is pretty much all you need in the early levels.

You did Max the Star SLink, right?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not joking, an Alice with Mudo Boost and a Daisojou (I completely spelled that wrong) with Hama Boost is pretty much all you need in the early levels.

Not yet. :( I'm still working on the old couple, and the dying boy. :(

I do have Daisojou.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I could've cared less about maxing the Star Link story-wise, but there isn't a more essential Persona for decimating Nomad.

Well, and the Reaper.

Still, all that time wasted on him, I could've been working on interesting links, like... oh, Yukari and the old couple.

Fuuka and Chihiro still wanted my Main dead by end game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You WANT/NEED Star.

I'll spoiler it for you so you can click if you're interested:
    Max Star link gets you Lucifer.
    Lucifer also has some of the best stats and only weak against Ice.
    He'll eventually get a nice ability called Victory Cry. It refills your health and SP after you win a battle.
    Lucifer + Satan also gets you the combo ability of Armmeggedon (9999 damage)

You see why this is a good idea?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Not yet. :( I'm still working on the old couple, and the dying boy. :(

I do have Daisojou.

Max it max it max it. Fuck the old couple they don't matter, max Star.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I could've cared less about maxing the Star Link story-wise, but there isn't a more essential Persona for decimating Nomad.

Well, and the Reaper.

Still, all that time wasted on him, I could've been working on interesting links, like... oh, Yukari and the old couple.
    I actually did like him, and felt really bad for him by the end of it. Lucifer was just a bonus.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I see Nocren. I see. :)

Sigh... Gotta get working on that guy then. I wanted to max out Yukari though! :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why did you wait till January for these S.Links? Did you try and do EVERYTHING?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    Why did you wait till January for these S.Links? Did you try and do EVERYTHING?

Yes, unfortunately. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually did like him, and felt really bad for him by the end of it. Lucifer was just a bonus.

Yeah, his story was interesting, but I still would've liked to learn about the other Links more.

Also, what are Atlus waiting for? At this rate, they'll be confirming Growlanser VI before FES.
    (I keep telling myself they only brought us V so they could bring over VI, since I think they're connected.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, Atlus likely won't be confirming FES, so. You're probably right.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    That's not very optimistic.

The prospect of FES coming out here is all that's preventing my replay, so they better make up their minds quick.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    But it is very realistic.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    True, but it's nice to hope.

I'm still wondering just how they'd handle a PS2 expansion's marketing. This isn't exactly FFXI: if it's a stand-alone 'you must have P3 to play this', they'll have a hard time selling it.

It's not like the original can just be easily picked up along with it. Unless they reprint it or go to the lengths of making a combined version(which I highly doubt would happen).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Holy. Shit. I just beat the game... And seriously... That was the best ending I've seen in a video game. This game is now at the top of my "Best Game" list. Everyone should play and beat this game at least one time in their life.... Oh man... I got goosebumps right at the end.

(87 hours to beat it, and level 95... Unfortunately I think I grinded TOO much because the last boss did a MAX of 100 damage to any of my characters. Oh well!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love this game but I'm either totally absorbed by it or I avoid it. I'm on the 47th floor. I want to play but I know i'll be playing all night. This is terrible.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I love this game but I'm either totally absorbed by it or I avoid it. I'm on the 47th floor. I want to play but I know i'll be playing all night. This is terrible.

About that time I was having the same trouble. I didn't want to play it because I get the "One more day..." Syndrome, and the rest of my day was completely destroyed.

However, once you get to the later months, the story draws you in. Hard.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    True, but it's nice to hope.

I'm still wondering just how they'd handle a PS2 expansion's marketing. This isn't exactly FFXI: if it's a stand-alone 'you must have P3 to play this', they'll have a hard time selling it.

It's not like the original can just be easily picked up along with it. Unless they reprint it or go to the lengths of making a combined version(which I highly doubt would happen).

I thought there was a version of FES that had P3 and FES on the same disc, or at least as two discs

EDIT: Yep, here it is
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-43-49-en-15-FES-70-1s2c.html

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really want to finish this game after a month long hiatus from it but I can't remember my social link statuses, as in who I haven't talked to in a while. This is sort of stopping me from starting as I don't want to break a link, although I know I can fix it, but I was just wondering how breaking a link works. Does it happen automatically or do I need to actually talk to the person for them to get mad at me? If I have to talk to them, could I just, say, leave dumb photography club guy alone at level 4 or whatever and keep him in eternal link limbo? Or does he approach me at lunchtime and say something like "Fuck off" and the link is reversed?

Gilder on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I really want to finish this game after a month long hiatus from it but I can't remember my social link statuses, as in who I haven't talked to in a while. This is sort of stopping me from starting as I don't want to break a link, although I know I can fix it, but I was just wondering how breaking a link works. Does it happen automatically or do I need to actually talk to the person for them to get mad at me? If I have to talk to them, could I just, say, leave dumb photography club guy alone at level 4 or whatever and keep him in eternal link limbo? Or does he approach me at lunchtime and say something like "Fuck off" and the link is reversed?

It happens automatically. When a link goes into reverse, the person will start showing up in a different place from where they normally wait for you, and will have an irritated icon over their heads (I think, there's some visual indication, in any case). If you don't plan on raising a link further, though, there's no penalty. I had Yuko and Fuuka in reverse for a large part of the game (They irritate me).

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With regards to the new thread:

Persona -Trinity Soul- will start airing somewhere around January, so we can simply make a new go to SMT thread with a focus on the Persona side of things (since P3 should be hitting the PAL territory soon-ish, I hope).
    Larka wrote: »
    I have managed to procure a copy of Nocturne from a friend, and I was wondering if anyone had any early game tips?

The second you get a chance to learn Anti-Death, do it. I think it should be one of the Magatamas to the left in the second row.

DO NOT LET GO OF ANTI-DEATH, IF ONLY FOR VOID DEATH!

There might be a void magic skill, but I was not able to find it. Or maybe I do not remember it. The reason (punz!) was:

I had to break the level counter (104 levels, I think), incest rush my main, and overfuse my demons with those stat-boosting demons because the final final final boss
    Lucifer
    High Kinged my ass to death. Even after all that, I still barely managed to luck out and beat the bastard.

In the end, it was worth it. Truly an epic game to behold. Those that have played may probably be able to figure out which path I took, although I am not so sure, since I do not know what the other end sequences look like.

Also, Gamespot thinks that P3 is the best rpg of the year. I'd very like to agree with them, alas!

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Strifer wrote: »

Persona -Trinity Soul- will start airing somewhere around January, so we can simply make a new go to SMT thread with a focus on the Persona side of things (since P3 should be hitting the PAL territory soon-ish, I hope).
    Larka wrote: »
    I have managed to procure a copy of Nocturne from a friend, and I was wondering if anyone had any early game tips?

The second you get a chance to learn Anti-Death, do it. I think it should be one of the Magatamas to the left in the second row.

DO NOT LET GO OF ANTI-DEATH, IF ONLY FOR VOID DEATH!

There might be a void magic skill, but I was not able to find it. Or maybe I do not remember it. The reason (punz!) was:

I had to break the level counter (104 levels, I think), incest rush my main, and overfuse my demons with those stat-boosting demons because the final final final boss
    Lucifer
    High Kinged my ass to death. Even after all that, I still barely managed to luck out and beat the bastard.

In the end, it was worth it. Truly an epic game to behold. Those that have played may probably be able to figure out which path I took, although I am not so sure, since I do not know what the other end sequences look like.

Also, Gamespot thinks that P3 is the best rpg of the year. I'd very like to agree with them, alas!
    Odd. I beat the final final boss without those things, and with a level 80-something main.
    Party of
    Harlot, Beezlebub and that Buddhist monk fiend who's name escapes me
    helped, though.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Odd. I beat the final final boss without those things, and with a level 80-something main.
    Party of
    helped, though.
    Daisoujou?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I had 0 problems with the final boss in the game. Except when it casted that aura on them, and I had to tell everyone to wait... I hate doing that.

I really liked Thor/Surt as a good combo. Surt has Mabufula and Ragnorok with 100 Mag and 90 Agi, and Thor had Ziodyne and High Counter with 100 Str and 90 End.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Party of
    helped, though.

I neglected my party building. I couldn't even get some of the more intricate fusions, as I did not experiment enough with them.

My biggest mistake, though, was that I did not have that "Pierce" ability. I had to do some crazy voodoo to get my character to deal over a thousand points worth of damage. Root of Evil is like summoning a capricious Marlboro on drugs.

It is not that you cannot beat the game without death repellants, but it saves the player A LOT of grief in the long run. If you fight a monster that gets a first turn, has a death-type attack, uses it on your main, and it connects, and your last save was about half an hour earlier, then this is a fail-safe. Besides many bosses employ some kind of a death-type attack.

Basically end-game spoiler:
    Beelzebub, for one, has Death Flies, which he uses every third turn. I've Romero'ed his ass, that's for sure.

And I still got expelled by those Succubi. Eternal Rest my ass!

Disclaimer: I might be wrong about some names, but the message is out there.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My strategy was pretty much having three demons to do nothing but support Main(buffs and debuffs left and right), while he wailed away on the final final boss.

I still want to see one of the Reason endings eventually, but when I made it that far into the Amala, I had to see what was really waiting down there.
    What sucks is that having Harlot and her physical immunity does exactly no good against Lucifer, but I brought her along anyway. I had her, the monkey on the cloud(awesome skill set), Black Rider, and a few other choice demons.
    Lanz wrote:
    I thought there was a version of FES that had P3 and FES on the same disc, or at least as two discs

EDIT: Yep, here it is
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...S-70-1s2c.html

I'm wondering if they'd do that, a stand-alone, or both.

Atlus USA's still playing mind-games, so it could go either way, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If they could somehow release the other games here. EDIT: As in, in PAL territory.

You know:

Soul Nomad, Odin Sphere, GrimGrimoire even. I hope I did not mix up NIS with Atlus here, God I love both of these companies.

EDIT: Yes, GrimGrimoire was released by NIS. My point still stands.

I still need to pick up Devil Summoner, but I guess I will have to save my money for the inevitable (?) PAL release of P3. I know something already has been said about a "limited UK release only" but I hope more clarification, and confirmation, is on its way.

And I really need to try that final battle again. Trust me, I can get very creative with what is at my disposal during the battle, but that's the problem - setting stuff up is a bit hard for me, as it is mostly a lottery of getting the right demon with the right skill-set. Then all the fusion trickery to fully deck out your favourite demon. Not that I mind it, no.

There is also the fact that there are so many combinations, skills, and whatnot, that many potential solutions might elude one. I have learned about the "Pierce" skill after I had beaten the fucker. First Magatama, no less.

I did like the war of attrition that I had going there, though. I wish I could have recorded that battle.

Just as an aside - one of the late-game skills were you pull out a sword jedi-style (really?) is one of the best moves in the game, better than Gaia Rage. Yes, Gaia Rage does more damage, but with that sword skill you can get a critical easily, giving you more room to navigate during the turn.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    NIS released Grim Grimoire in the US.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Strifer wrote: »

I wouldn't mind that, since this is basically an all-purpose SMT thread already, so maybe the next one should have small primers on other notable SMT/Persona games; or would that distract too much from P3?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    P3 has already joined its family in Obscure-Out-Of-Print Land, I believe, so maybe we should go with the general SMT thread that can include the anime.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I still can't believe it's going out of print this fast. I still see it in stores left and right.

It's not everywhere, but it's not gone either.

Then again, this store also had Digital Devil Saga 2, Rez, and Disgaea...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm really late to this thread but I just got P3 a few days ago for Christmas and I played it for like 10 hours straight today. It's amazing. Thats all.

Otsego on
    mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You won't be saying that when you get to one of the ball-buster boss floors :V

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That reminds me... I gotta get my copy of P3 back.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone know a place in Canada I could snag this?

Although I wonder if I should bother, as I'm still working on Nocturne...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    You won't be saying that when you get to one of the ball-buster boss floors :V

Oh no, he will still say that. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Anyone know a place in Canada I could snag this?

Although I wonder if I should bother, as I'm still working on Nocturne...

Atlus, see it, buy it, etc. Seriously though, if you see a copy, get it, or pay through the nose later.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
This discussion has been closed.