Options

Persona 3: Trinities, Souls, and Cellphones

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I wanted to "share a tender moment" with Akihiko. :(

Honestly I was a little surprised that we couldn't. I totally got a yaoi vibe off of him and Shinji.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wanted to "share a tender moment" with Akihiko. :(

Honestly I was a little surprised that we couldn't. I totally got a yaoi vibe off of him and Shinji.

I wanted to share a tender moment with Akihiko and Kenji.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Didn't Kenji actually...
    come out to your character, a little, at one point? Isn't that what the whole "hot for teacher" thing was really about?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Didn't Kenji actually...
    come out to your character, a little, at one point? Isn't that what the whole "hot for teacher" thing was really about?

It's subtle but not very obvious.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not obvious?
    The guy made you jewelry.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe you guys can answer this:

What's with the "senpai" and "kun" and "tan" they add at the end of a name? I noticed "senpai" means someone older/wiser than them right? "kun" is for someone around their age, and is a guy... "tan" is for someone around their age, and is a girl.

How close am I? :)

Anyway, I just hit floor 236 last night. Holy MOTHER OF GOD! Exp out the anus! I killed 4 guys there, and got the level 10 exp bonus card... Walked out with OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!1! exp from that fight. I think I'm going to grind there until I hit level 80ish.

urahonky on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Floor 236? There's another place where you can easily net 20,000exp (60,000 w/Lv10 Wand) from a fight.
    Have you noticed anything different about the lobby lately?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I never paid any attention. When I get into the dark hour, I go in, grab my guys and get to grinding. I will look for whatever you just said IceBurner. Is it some sort of boss fight?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Not obvious?
    The guy made you jewelry.

If we're going to be stereotypical here, yeah, of course that means something gay. However, I honestly disagree wholeheartedly.

Urahonky: It's been discussed at-length here. They are honorifics that the Atlus translation team put in to make it feel much more like an actual Japanese high school. A lot of people responded with severe backlash at it... but honestly it makes it feel more true to the IDEA that it's a Japanese high school. Pretty much all of the concepts of both holidays, names, school, subjects, are all linked with what a real Japanese high school year is like. The honorifics just make it more realistic.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maybe you guys can answer this:

What's with the "senpai" and "kun" and "tan" they add at the end of a name? I noticed "senpai" means someone older/wiser than them right? "kun" is for someone around their age, and is a guy... "tan" is for someone around their age, and is a girl.

Sempai means "superior," basically someone who is in your position, but older or with more seniority. It's an important distinction in a lot of Japanese culture, including work, clubs, etc. It's more generally used in highschool for upperclassmen.

-kun: used for males talking to eachother, or anyone to a boy.

-chan: as -kun, but for girls and small children.

-sensei: teacher

-tan is a corruption of "-chan," and Junpei uses it as a lame joke: "Yuka-tan"... as in the penninsula?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I never paid any attention. When I get into the dark hour, I go in, grab my guys and get to grinding. I will look for whatever you just said IceBurner. Is it some sort of boss fight?

Hee.
    These guys make bosses cry.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh I can't wait... Honestly I have been pretty far ahead of the bosses and stuff I've fought. I don't really have TOO much of a problem with them, other than the occasional death.

I wasn't saying the senpai/kun/tan stuff was bad, I was honestly just curious about it. I can't understand why people would be angry about them including that kind of stuff. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The pronunciation, especially Fuuka's (JOONPAY-COON!) is off, which annoys a some people that know how it should be said.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Well that doesn't count, because Fuuka is pretty annoying overall. She's so... Awkward.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There's one part in the game where I actually kind of liked her voice/acting

(December stuff)
    After Chidori died and they're all trying to get Junpei to accept it with her sketchbook and everything. I liked the little conversation the two of them had.

Dunno why she couldn't be like that the whole way through.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    There's one part in the game where I actually kind of liked her voice/acting

(December stuff)
    After Chidori died and they're all trying to get Junpei to accept it with her sketchbook and everything. I liked the little conversation the two of them had.

Dunno why she couldn't be like that the whole way through.

I think the voice direction was just way off for her. Like she was told that Fuuka was nervious and would emphasize in odd places, and the actress (Mela Lee, according to IMDB) just ran too far with it.

Or maybe she didn't understand the context of the combat narration.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah. Otherwise, the voice acting in the game is great. I really like Yukari's voice, and Akihiko. Those two are really good.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was about to say who my favorite voice was, but I then found that I ended up listing just about everyone, so...

Fuuka and Fuuka's annoying friend are the only ones I don't like at all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Darklyre wrote: »
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    I've been trying to order a copy of P3 as a gift and it's sold out everywhere, including on the Atlus site, and the cheapest it is on Amazon marketplace is $80. :(

Really? I just bought mine off Amazon like two weeks ago for $48, shipping included. O_o
    They still had stock then. I knew I shouldn't have waited. :/

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fuuka and Aigis seem off to me. Aigis' monotone is overdone and Fuuka is ... someone else entirely. The latter wouldn't be obvious to someone with no exposure to the original product, though, but Aigis clearly demonstrates some level of emotion throughout the whole game -- in her 3d model and portraits.

Some dramatics went underplayed, but overall it's a good job. Junpei's role is acted magnificently and like the artbook says, he really does a lot to sell the player on the story ;)

IceBurner on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Fuuka and Aigis seem off to me. Aigis' monotone is overdone and Fuuka is ... someone else entirely. The latter wouldn't be obvious to someone with no exposure to the original product, though, but Aigis clearly demonstrates some level of emotion throughout the whole game -- in her 3d model and portraits.

Some dramatics went underplayed, but overall it's a good job. Junpei's role is acted magnificently and like the artbook says, he really does a lot to sell the player on the story ;)

I understand that they had Aigis be too monotone earlier on so that the transition to her being less monotone later on was more noticeable, but I still feel they should have made it more subtle overall.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    IceBurner wrote: »

I totally agree with Junpei selling the story. I think the all the characters fulfilled the role the art director wanted them to have.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only VAs I didn't like were Fuuka's, Fuuka's annoying friend, and 'I need your haaaalp!'-Aigis.

I don't get why Atlus doesn't credit the dub VAs; in P3 and Odin Sphere alike. What gives? I think they deserve credit just as much as the original VAs, especially since they're not even used in P3(Odin Sphere is dual-audio, so it's somewhat justified in that case).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It might be a union thing. A lot of voice actors are paid under the table and not credited so they can work but not break union rules or something like that.

Gilder on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The original Metal Gear Solid was like this. A lot of VAs have stage names for side projects such as these.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The only VAs I didn't like were Fuuka's, Fuuka's annoying friend, and 'I need your haaaalp!'-Aigis.

One really good phrase Aigis says is: "When you get knocked down, get right back up." I don't know why, but I LOVE it when she says that. It's like she's repeating the command that she was told while being programmed.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    It might be a union thing. A lot of voice actors are paid under the table and not credited so they can work but not break union rules or something like that.

Usually in these cases though they would use fake names in the credits to get around it.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I always liked Fuuka's battle voice myself. I found it soothing. Mitsuru's voice in the same position always sort of freaked me out.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Lovely wrote: »
    I always liked Fuuka's battle voice myself. I found it soothing. Mitsuru's voice in the same position always sort of freaked me out.

Even: *gasp* The enemeeee!

or:
    Junpei: "Boy, I'm tired."
    Fuuka: "I think Jooon-pay is tired!"

:)

urahonky on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

or:

There are. FOUR! Enemies! Left.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ATAAaaCK!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Damn. You guys got all the good ones... I've got nothing left.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    JOON-pay-coon is in -TRUBBLE-

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

or:

I would pronounce Junpei the way she does. lol

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

One really good phrase Aigis says is: "When you get knocked down, get right back up." I don't know why, but I LOVE it when she says that. It's like she's repeating the command that she was told while being programmed.

I got a GLaDOS vibe from that line. It's also one of my favorite battle quotes.

And while it's not a quote from Fuuka, the most hilarious thing about her to me is the picture that's used when she has a "Are you an idiot?" look on her face. Just something about it cracks me up.

EDIT: Isn't Fuuka's pronunciation of Junpei technically the correct way the say it in Japanese?

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I love that, no matter how our opinions may differ on other things (Yuko and Aigis ttly sux k?), we will always have Fuuka to bring us back together. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I really like Yukari and Junpei's interactions in-battle. "Not bad, Junpei," is, I think, my favorite line reading. It's very much coming from a "highschool" place... incredulous but at the same time appreciative.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think Yukari's voice is the best, honestly. Like if you Koro-chan in your group, for some reason I love it when he kills someone, and she's like: "Goooooood booyyy!" in that cute little way.

What? Quit lookin' at me like that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So yeah, I just checked the lobby and I don't notice anything :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sorry Honky, I really thought if you were up to that floor there'd be something to notice, but perhaps I've miscalculated, hmm.
    Something appears in the back of the Tartarus lobby. It offers both great peril and power. Perhaps it's just not yet time for you to see it. Persist, and I'm sure you'll find it.

IceBurner on
This discussion has been closed.