Options

HDTV LCD...in black and white?!

DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
I just posted this in H/A because I had forgotten about this forum....

A little help would be appreciated if a few of your folks could spare it...

A day or so ago I went out and purchased this fine TV. This is the first TV I've bought in 6 years or so. It's replacing an old Sony Wega 20inch.

Now, I get it home, take it out, hook it up...great. TV looks great and the cable guys are coming over in the next few days to swap out my digital cable box for an HD upgrade.

Here's the issue...

The DVD player on my home theater system is old (6 years as well). It doesn't do the fancy pants component video. Either a one line video out (hello there yellow wire) or S-Video.

I went to watch a DVD last night and much to my dismay...it will only register in a very sloppy black and white. I get that I may have to bite the bullet on this one and head back to the store to get myself an S-Video hook up because the player is old school.

However, what the hell am I supposed to do with the Wii? It's the same audio/visual hook ups as my DVD player...

What am I missing? What other parts do I need to make my pretty new TV do more than just be a TV?

DrZiplock on

• Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It sounds to me like you might've plugged in the composite video output into the green component video input - that might do what you describe. You might want to double-check that. S-Video won't be a big enough improvement on your TV that it'll make a difference, so I wouldn't bother with that.

Still, your DVDs won't look fantastic unless you get a decent upscaling DVD player with HDMI (you can't upscale DVDs over component, although it will be a big help). A PS3 will do the job quite nicely, a 360 with HDMI will be barely adequate, most cheap players you find at BB/CC with upscaling should do OK, or for a really good upscaling DVD player that will also let you play back high-def, get a Toshiba HD-A3 from Amazon - it's $180 and comes with 300 and Bourne Identity in HD in the box, and five free HD-DVDs via mail-in. I'd go for the HD-DVD player personally, but it's up to you... a good upscaling DVD player will make your DVDs look pretty damn close to HD, so it's definitely the first thing I would recommend.

Also, you might want a Wii component cable. If you type Wii component into Amazon there are tons for $20. I'm not sure how much Nintendo direct or your average GameStop charges but I'm sure you'll be OK.

rufo on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Plug your yellow cable into the yellow hole. The ports marked Y, Pb, Pr (green, blue, red) are for component video only.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    yah.. you definately plugged the thing into the wrong place.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why aren't you using S-Video?

EDIT: Or if you are using S-Video, maybe one or more of the pins in the cable is bent/broken/not going into the right hole.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do yourself a favor and do three things.

1) Buy a new DVD player. If you're not even getting progressive scan out of your DVD player there's no point. You should be able to get a decent upscaling player for $60-80. No point in having a nice TV if you're not even remotely making use of it.

2) Also buy a HDMI cable to go with said DVD Player, so upscaling can be done.

3) Finally, buy a Component cable for your Wii. It only does 480p, but again, get the most out of the system & your TV.

You should be looking at roughly $100 for all three items .

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do yourself a favor and do three things.

1) Buy a new DVD player. If you're not even getting progressive scan out of your DVD player there's no point. You should be able to get a decent upscaling player for $60-80. No point in having a nice TV if you're not even remotely making use of it.

2) Also buy a HDMI cable to go with said DVD Player, so upscaling can be done.

3) Finally, buy a Component cable for your Wii. It only does 480p, but again, get the most out of the system & your TV.

You should be looking at roughly $100 for all three items .

Get the HDMI and Wii component cables from Monoprice. About $13 before shipping. I've bought 2 of those HDMI cables and a friend of mine has the wii component cables, all working flawlessly.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."