As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of Game's Studios Presents: Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
There hasn't been a thread on this sucker yet, has there? ps: I stole this OP from another forum =d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1cOvZ3nS8

The Great B-Ball Purge of 2041, a day so painful to some that it is referred to only as the "B-Ballnacht". Thousands upon thousands of the world's greatest ballers were massacred in a swath of violence and sports bigotry as the game was outlawed worldwide. The reason: the Chaos Dunk, a jam so powerful its mere existence threatens the balance of chaos and order. Among the few ballers and fans that survived the basketball genocide was Charles Barkley, the man capable of performing the "Verboten Jam"...

Flash forward 12 years to the post-cyberpocalyptic ruins of Neo New York, 2053. A Chaos Dunk rocks the island of Manhattan, killing 15 million. When the finger is put on the aging Charles Barkley, he must evade the capture of the B-Ball Removal Department, led by former friend and baller Michael Jordan, and disappear into the dangerous underground of the post-cyberpocalypse to clear his name and find out the mysterious truth behind the Chaos Dunk. Joined by allies along the way, including his son Hoopz, Barkley must face the dangers of a life he thought he gave up a long time ago and discover the secrets behind the terrorist organization B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S.

backley.PNG

barkley1.PNG

barkley2.PNG

barkley3.PNG

barkley4.PNG

jamrest.png

- Game fully playable in both English and Al Bhed.

- Riveting story that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. See the Post-Cyberpocalypse like you’ve never seen it before.

- Beautiful soundtrack composed by none other than Nobuo Uematsu exclusively for BSU&J:G!

- Block paragraphs about basketball monsters.

A tale of zaubers, b-balls, and atonement; brave dangers unheard of, face spectacular challenges that even the greatest ballers could not overcome, and maybe... just maybe... redeem basketball once and for all in:

Tales of Game's Studios Presents Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

This is seriously one of the funniest and best RPGs of 2008 so far. The storyline is absolutely goofy and satirical, it plays out just like a Final Fantasy game, except...it's about basketball. PLUS, the combat in the game isn't too stale. It's not just ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Like, really, give this game a try. You'll enjoy it, I promise.

Download Link 1

Download Link 2

Download Link 3

Controls
z - action
x - run and cancel
c - start

DiscoZombie on

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Game fully playable in both English and Al Bhed.
    :shock:
    That is both hilarious and awesome.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh, dude, what forum did you steal this from? I tend to lurk at the forum this game comes from, geeky as it might be. :P

I've been meaning to try this for a while, but I never got around to it.

I might, yet. :P

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This may be the best thing I have seen in my life.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The first time I came across this I was completely awestruck.

Now that I'm free of the shackles of overdue assignments, I am going to play this.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh, dude, what forum did you steal this from? I tend to lurk at the forum this game comes from, geeky as it might be. :P

I've been meaning to try this for a while, but I never got around to it.

I might, yet. :P

yeah, the game's creators come from this forum:

http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=68488.0

but I actually heard about it on this forum:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103679

which is where I spend most of my time lurking =d

but seriously, the game is soo awesome. It must be the only amateur game I've ever invested more than like 10 minutes in. Spent a full 4+ hours beating it, and was cracking up all the way through...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I hang out at gamingw a lot whenever I'm in one of my geeky "I'm going to make a game" moods. It is my guilty pleasure, but this is the stuff of legends.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did anyone else read the OP and think that this should be an actual, commercial game? If it was, it would rival God Hand in its epicness.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I gave this a try last night, since I'm a big fan of the Round Mound of Rebound. It's pretty fun at first, but the novelty wears off quick. It's way too talky and a lot of dialogue isn't very funny. There's a lot of little touches that are great however, and the battle system is actually kind of cool.

Dagrabbit on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There is a DUNK that kills MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

And Space Jam is actually a PART OF HISTORY.

I can't see how the "novelty can wear off"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Holy shit. The game over screen. The game over screen.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Frontrunner along with Japanese Cetacean Research Simulator and Off-Road Velociraptor Safari for GOTY 2008.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh my God. This game was amazing. I just beat it, and it is packed full of awesome.
    One of the final fights features you in a final showdown with Michael Jordan, with Georgia Brown playing in the background.

I was dicking around in the music folder, and found that for the Vincetron boss music the artist is labelled "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this".

And finally...
    barkleyvicsteampunk.png

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Brilliant.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think my personal favorite part was the dating sim...
    Lemme glimpse that applebottom

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think my personal favorite part was the dating sim...
    Lemme glimpse that applebottom
    "So, any characteristics you're looking for?"

"Applebottoms."

"Anything else?"

"Only applebottoms."

Rear Admiral Choco on