As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TIE Fighter - The Last Straw

• Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    I never played this game. How did it control? Was it as arcadey as the more modern Rogue Squadron games, or was it more sim-like?[/QUOTE!]

Sim-like. Do you enjoy setting and resetting your lasers to engines power ratio while your making a bombing run on a mon cal cruiser, while a squad of x-wings are gunning for your sorry, no sheild tin can flying ass. The best star wars games ever made, and the fact that there isnt a new one with the prequels and the EU in it is a crime.

"LOL computer games", Lucasarts shrugged.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I was a kid we had this old computer with a few kiddy type games on it that my brother, sister, and I loved to play. As time passed we picked up a few older games, Space Quest 1 (the enhanced graphics version), Dragons Lair, and Space Quest among them. One time in a used book shop we stumbled on a cool Star Wars game that let you fly as TIE Fighters and we got our parents to pick it up for us.
    Turned out it was the expansion pack. We were pretty disappointed, but my dad helped us dig around for the original that we needed.
    Wow was the game awesome. I played it so much. It was just incredibly badass as a kid to play a game where you could fly around as a TIE Fighter blowing up other ships.

I later got X-Wing as a gift. It too was awesome, but not nearly as much as TIE Fighter for some reason.

Wow. I REALLY want to play this game now. Great memories.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    I never played this game. How did it control? Was it as arcadey as the more modern Rogue Squadron games, or was it more sim-like?[/QUOTE!]

Sim-like. Do you enjoy setting and resetting your lasers to engines power ratio while your making a bombing run on a mon cal cruiser, while a squad of x-wings are gunning for your sorry, no sheild tin can flying ass. The best star wars games ever made, and the fact that there isnt a new one with the prequels and the EU in it is a crime.

"LOL computer games", Lucasarts shrugged.

Yeah don't remind me.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The bottom line?

Michael Stackpole wrote the plot for the game.

X-Wing Alliance was good, but ultimately flawed because "Ace" wasn't nearly as compelling a character as Maarek Steele.

FWIW: X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance all load for me on VirtualPC running Win95.

Going to add that X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was inarguably the best iteration of LucasArts' space-sims.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Multiplayer XvT?

How can I put it?

When I die If I get a choice between a thousand virgins and an 8 player XvT lan...

I'd still pick the virgins.

But hell, I'd have to think about it for a while.

Cos man, XvT was HOT.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When I was a kid, I bought the package that included X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and a demo of XvT. So much time spent on these games, so fun. Now I'm tempted to reinstall them. I only played the demo of X-Wing: Alliance so never got to experience it much. Now that I think about it, I never beat TIE Fighter. I think I beat X-Wing. I remember being so stoked to eventually do the Death Star mission.

dclee on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cos man, XvT was HOT.
    I'd take it over virgins myself. I've dealt with hymens several times now and we just don't get along.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Multiplayer XvT?

How can I put it?

When I die If I get a choice between a thousand virgins and an 8 player XvT lan...

Cos man, XvT was HOT.
    What if it was the XvT LAN, but it had the Missle boat enabled?

see317 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Multiplayer XvT?

How can I put it?

Cos man, XvT was HOT.
    What if it was the XvT LAN, but it had the Missle boat enabled?

Missile Boats are lame, and are only balanced in missions when you have to do something ridiculous like take out two ISDs and their TIEs before they blow up your ship. They'd be broken as hell in multiplayer.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just in case anyone is thinking about re-installing., I have a treat for you guys;

http://www.xwaupgrade.com

...look at the date of the latest post.

Now that is just hard core.

Docken on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Docken wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is thinking about re-installing., I have a treat for you guys;

Also:

http://www.tftc.gaylenol.com/index.html

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm only one page into this thread, but I'd like to reiterate just how incredibly freaking awesome the plot in TIE Fighter was. The regular missions - dealing with petty squabbles between random systems, stopping the alliance - were solid, but the major plotline at the end was absolutely amazing. That game gave me such a hard-on for Thrawn. After the major betrayal, when he chases after the guy in his little VSD and was promoted up from Vice Admiral to Grand Admiral... <3<3<3

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TequilaDysonTequilaDyson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of the things I liked about in TF was the interface.

In X-Wing your ship may have been better overall, but it wasn't very ergonomic. Your forward view was limited and the cockpit design blocked your situational awareness. You'd try to look behind you and all you'd see is R2 asking you 'what up!' You'd target something and no idea the angle it's heading in relation to your craft.

In Tie Fighter you've got this huge glass canopy you look through, can see everything, the targetting computer is better, a camera is set up so you can look behind you, heck there's even a place to put your drink.

TequilaDyson on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember the later missions when they started letting you use the experimental TIE's that had shields on them.

Naturally, the first order of business was to dump all shield power to the engines, letting you fly around at the speed of God. Even with laser energy bumped up, you could still outfly an A-Wing.

'Cuz shields are for the weak.

When people say "Godspeed!", it's not a blessing, it's a suggestion?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I haven't played TIE Fighter since it came out and X-Wing since a few years after that (and I might still be playing it if I hadn't lost the manual and all the answers to those stupid copy protection questions along with it), and they were all excellent.

But just a few days ago, like, the night before this thread started, I started playing Dark Forces again for the first time in ages. I was surprised at how good it still is and it has a more meaty and substantial feeling missing from nearly every modern Star Wars shooter today. It might not help they're mostly based around lightsabers these days either.

Anyway, I guess we can safely conclude that retro Star Wars games were awesome as a whole and not limited to the flight sims.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of the things I liked about in TF was the interface.

In X-Wing your ship may have been better overall, but it wasn't very ergonomic. Your forward view was limited and the cockpit design blocked your situational awareness. You'd try to look behind you and all you'd see is R2 asking you 'what up!' You'd target something and no idea the angle it's heading in relation to your craft.

In Tie Fighter you've got this huge glass canopy you look through, can see everything, the targetting computer is better, a camera is set up so you can look behind you, heck there's even a place to put your drink.

And nothing was cooler than a successful return to base at the end of your mission, your ship battered from hairs-breadth misses of capitol ship fire, viewport cracked, instruments burnt out, but still having fought the good fight!
    Sure I might be remembering this game through Coke bottle thick, rose tinted nerd-goggles, but damn did I love it ever so much. Hell I still have my Macintosh version on CD :D

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    you get those tattoos and shit
    I loved TIE fighter because it was the only game of the genre (that I was aware of) that let you be the bad guy without painting you or your faction as a bunch of psychotic douche bags.
    For reals. Tattoos and being a bad guy without being an emo nancy-boy FTW.
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Also, TIE Fighter's "The EMPEROR has been kidnapped! Save the muthaf*ckin EMPEROR!" got me all giddy inside.
    I didn't feel a big impetous to bust my ass for this mission, in a way. Sure, it was da boss they captured, so I gotta look good. But, on the other hand... it's the fucking Emperor. Even before we saw Revenge of the Sith's acrobatics, I was thinking guy could have force shocked the shit out of the kidnappers... so why would I be concerned? Just plant a beacon and let the old man get some jollies. He hasn't beheaded anyone in 20 years. We can pick him up later.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My game would crash 1/2 through the 6th campaign/battle

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daybreak wrote: »
    I'm only one page into this thread, but I'd like to reiterate just how incredibly freaking awesome the plot in TIE Fighter was. The regular missions - dealing with petty squabbles between random systems, stopping the alliance - were solid, but the major plotline at the end was absolutely amazing. That game gave me such a hard-on for Thrawn. After the major betrayal, when he chases after the guy in his little VSD and was promoted up from Vice Admiral to Grand Admiral... <3<3<3

To this day I consider TIE's storytelling to be not just the best, but the only instance of the structure they were going for. They had a basic plot, which was great for a space shooter, then they had this whole different underlying plot below it that actually influenced the way you played, but only if you wanted it to.

Seriously, the best feeling in TIE Fighter is going for the bonus objectives. I kept imagining my wingmen going "What the heck is he doing?" while I did my own little espionage side jobs, then went back to being the nice little (storm)trooper.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TIE Fighter, so much better than X-wing.

First of all, for most of the game you actually fly TIE Fighters. Not "let's call the game 'X-wing' then stick you in some slow, lumbering, Y-shaped piece of shit."

The 3-D map, the message log, the fact that your wingmen don't take headers into freighters, etc.

Orogogus wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    The fantastic voice acting and overall storytelling never made up for the fact that the game stopped feeling like Star Wars to me. Long dogfights grinding down the shields of ships, missiles filling the sky, this is not the nippy "two hits your are dead" combat we see in the movies. So, failure.

So I guess you won't be looking forward to The Force Unleashed eh?

And when did Rebel fighters have shields in the movie? I do not remember this at all.

They mention them a few times in Star Wars, in the Death Star attack.

Well, checking on the Internet, they actually say "deflectors", but same thing. It's not like you see any of the Rebel fighters take more than 2 hits before going up in a fireball, though.

The X-wings had shields, but they shifted all their shield energy to the front since they were attacking the Death Star head-on. Then the TIEs showed up and shot them all in their shieldless asses.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still remember after playing X-Wing for a while, and playing and beating the Trench Run in the game. I figured that either the Rebel pilots were idiots, or the Squadron Leader was a frickin traitor or something. Because even without TIEs chasing your tail, there were so many turret guns in that trench, that if you miss even just one, it will easily blast you in the rear.

Double front?!? That's suicide!!

Then of course, there was one time where I got pelted with laser fire when my shields were down and knocked out my navigation so that I couldn't steer and was heading straight into the trench wall. I couldn't help but to echo the squadron leader's yell as I crashed!

YAAAAARGGH!

VoodooV on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Docken wrote: »

I've tried installing the before and could never get it to work. That was a few years back, maybe this iteration works.

I never did finish XWA. My file got corrupt during the 3 series of missions and I could bring myself to play through the tedious family missions again. I've gone back to try it a few times since but those first few missions really put me off to the game. Maybe I'll get around to giving it another go, if I can find a reasonably priced stick.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember buying X-Wing. Came on like 30 god damn (floppy) disks.

God that game kicked ass. Apparently there's a patch for XP... and now I'm busting out my collector's edition CD to see if it works.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TIE Fighter worked with my Voodoo1 card, which made it awesome

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    you get those tattoos and shit
    I loved TIE fighter because it was the only game of the genre (that I was aware of) that let you be the bad guy without painting you or your faction as a bunch of psychotic douche bags.
    For reals. Tattoos and being a bad guy without being an emo nancy-boy FTW.
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Also, TIE Fighter's "The EMPEROR has been kidnapped! Save the muthaf*ckin EMPEROR!" got me all giddy inside.
    I didn't feel a big impetous to bust my ass for this mission, in a way. Sure, it was da boss they captured, so I gotta look good. But, on the other hand... it's the fucking Emperor. Even before we saw Revenge of the Sith's acrobatics, I was thinking guy could have force shocked the shit out of the kidnappers... so why would I be concerned? Just plant a beacon and let the old man get some jollies. He hasn't beheaded anyone in 20 years. We can pick him up later.

My first excellent laugh of the morning. Thankyou sir.

This thread makes me wish I'd played more than just the demo. Can you still get it nowadays?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, Week of War on MSN gaming zone with XvT and XWA. Posted your matches through Battlestats.com or something. Yeah so much win back then.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I still remember after playing X-Wing for a while, and playing and beating the Trench Run in the game. I figured that either the Rebel pilots were idiots, or the Squadron Leader was a frickin traitor or something. Because even without TIEs chasing your tail, there were so many turret guns in that trench, that if you miss even just one, it will easily blast you in the rear.

Double front?!? That's suicide!!

Then of course, there was one time where I got pelted with laser fire when my shields were down and knocked out my navigation so that I couldn't steer and was heading straight into the trench wall. I couldn't help but to echo the Wilhelm Scream as I crashed!

YAAAAARGGH!
    Fixed!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    XWA and TIE fighter were both awesome but I must say that the XWA multiplayer was made of awesome and win.

Nothing was more fun than setting up a LAN game with friends composed of a swarm of TIES (and yes, real men fly unshielded interceptors) and a star destroyer vs some rebel fighters and a mon calamari cruiser.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

God that game kicked ass. Apparently there's a patch for XP... and now I'm busting out my collector's edition CD to see if it works.

Try 5 disks, and 1 for each of the 2 expansions.

X-wing was better than tie fighter if just for the skill training missions, they were HARD as crap and if you did them all the rest of the game was a pretty reasonable difficulty, with the difficulty being in completing the mission as opposed to getting killed.

The tie fighter training missions were a joke and didn't train you for anything!

Serpent on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played X-Wing vs. TIE fighter sooooooooooo much.

Killing hundreds upon thousands of bots all night.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay lots and lots of money for some sort of master collection lumping X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XWA and XvT into one bundle.

I have them in various incarnations including disks, but a singular DVD would be the greatest thing ever.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Serpent wrote: »

X-wing was better than tie fighter if just for the skill training missions, they were HARD as crap and if you did them all the rest of the game was a pretty reasonable difficulty, with the difficulty being in completing the mission as opposed to getting killed.

The tie fighter training missions were a joke and didn't train you for anything!

Training missions are for pubescent girls.

august on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What about the XvT upgrade for X-Wing and Tie fighter? Was that any good?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Multiplayer XvT?

How can I put it?

Cos man, XvT was HOT.

Well, yeah, if you like your sex to be bloody and tear-stained, go for it. I'd stick with XvT.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I think you're forgetting that one marathon simulation mission where you can pick and choose what types of enemies you can fight and what skill level or whatever There are like..literally hundreds of enemies you can fight...I don't think I ever completed it despite how many times I tried.

Hell just the fact that you have to fight in an unshielded craft forces you to fly better faster stronger. I remember finishing TIE Fighter, then going back to play the original Wing Commander afterwards, completely unchallenging.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It fits the theme for the Imperials though. The fighters are produced by the thousand and pilots are a dime a dozen. No need to bother with training past the basics, just put them in their tin can and kick them into space, the next dozen replacement pilots will be here in a few days...

Personally though, I'll take TIE Fighters flying tube training course over the platforms in X-wing anyday. I wish I had kept track of how much time I wasted flying around that circle...

see317 on
  • Options
    ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Always had warm memories for TIE. I think they broke the mould when they made this game.

Vader: "Return to the Harpago"

10 seconds later

"RETURN TO THE HARPAGO NOW!"

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

If the emperor gets kidnapped, the emperor wanted to get kidnapped.

Tube on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

Also: maybe that Imperial pilot chick from The Force Unleashed will have her own TIE-fighter-esque game.

It would probably be third person console horsecrap, but it would be better than nothing.

Maybe.

august on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Way to not get the reference.

Reference

TheSonicRetard on