As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How the hell does the Mk III hit slow? With the max combo upgrade from Thunder Ryu, he whips the thing around like crazy.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    How the hell does the Mk III hit slow? With the max combo upgrade from Thunder Ryu, he whips the thing around like crazy.

There's one part in the combo that he turns around and stabs behind him, which pauses your attacks for a moment. That leaves you open for an attack.

urahonky on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jack eddy wrote: »
    So... I was kind of leary about this game, wanting to hear other peoples impressions first. Sounds like everyone likes it. How long does it take (roughly) to complete the main game? Is there a lot of side stuff to do?

Took me 15 hours on my first playthrough, and it was good enough that I immediately started up new game+ after beating it. There's enough side stuff to do. You should buy it now.

bruin on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NMH get! And it's about damn time, too. Fucking Quebec.

Except that I'm at work for another two and a half hours. I just want to go home and play it.

elevature on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think in order for the Tsubaki III to be truly effective you need to get properly upgraded. I took it to the Gamble Fight right after getting it and only scored about 55 kills. After I got the power upgrade and improved my strength and combo at Ryu's, I was back into the mid 80s.

I love the Mk. III. Those little flourishes he adds alone are what makes the weapon worthwhile.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Completing the game including finding all the balls and finishing the full ending took me 16 hours, but I'm slow at these things. That also includes doing enough missions to get full upgrades for everything. Most people on here seem to be around the 14-15 hours mark. And keep in mind that this is 14-16 hours of almost complete awesome. The amount of concentrated badassery really makes it worth it, especially with the game+ mode (which I also started immediately on Bitter) to give you additional stuff to search for (concept art is win).

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not only that, but this is one of those games that I can easily see myself replaying in the future. Multiple times. The game is not too long to be a daunting task for replaying, its gameplay is accessible enough not to require 'relearning' anything to play it again in the future, and there is just so much to relive and experience another time.

Hell I bet if I replayed it right now I'd probably pick up a bunch of things I missed the first time.

If there is one game that I recommend being a permanent part of anyone's Wii collection, than this would be it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Energize makes for an awesome "You've got a new message" ringtone.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You know, there actually are a lot of hints dropped in the game that can be construed as pointing towards the ending. It may be a matter of interpretation, but I see a lot of the dialog in a new light.

Examples:
    #10- In the cutscene before you fight Death Metal, Travis goes on about being Number One, and Death Metal simply responds with "You are so naive."

#7- After defeating Destroyman, Travis asks Sylvia if she's going to "get herself ready" for when he becomes Number One, and she responds by saying "I'd rather you see the real me."

Also, anyone know what Travis is saying when you fight Death Metal in New Game+?

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ahtari wrote: »
    Anyway I got the new saber and I dont know... I dont like it. It has alot of real slow attacks and long animations. I mean it looks cool and seems strong but fighting more then 1 or 2 guys and I get jacked up because of the huge animations between attacks.

Get the combo upgrade and occasionally switch between high/low in a combo and you'll hardly ever see the jumping or turn-stabbing attacks.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love this game... I just haven't had time to play it lately. Anyone know how well the game has sold thus far in the US?

Geod on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Strifer wrote: »

Now that I have the soundtrack, I'm really sad that I can't upload MP3s to my phone to use as ringtones. D:

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That god damn soundtrack is 71 songs long.

Grasshopper just loves insanely massive scores for their games.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shit, I really want the soundtrack. The sound that plays when you fight Bad Girl was especially awesome. $35 is pretty steep though.

bruin on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zampano wrote: »

How many of those 71 tracks are like... little jingles less than a minute long?

slash000 on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And then Mild becomes Sweet.
    No its definetly harder. Maybe not as hard as bitter is going to be but I aim to find out that soon enough.

The mooks are pretty much the same but I know its harder to hit the bosses and they spam their specials a bit more. With the exception of death metal and dr. peace every boss Ive faced has been more difficult and some have killed me where on sweet I wasnt even threatened.

If there wasnt a way to carry over all my shit I probably wouldnt have even bothered playing it a second time, but thats just me.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

How many of those 71 tracks are like... little jingles less than a minute long?

At least 18 of them are jingles. There are a few more that are less than a minute, but most of those are still "real" songs like the Assassin Rank/High Score Table music. My only complaint is that about half of the songs are remixes and arrangements of the game's main theme.

All three discs combined make a total of 2 hours and 50 minutes of sound and music.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What's the song called that plays when you fight Dr. Peace? It's the awesome rock and roll one.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What's the song called that plays when you fight Dr. Peace? It's the awesome rock and roll one.

Steel Python. It's my favorite song on the soundtrack. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Much like Rave On, it's an amazing song that's pitifully underused.

That should have been the song for the final boss.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rave on?

After hearing it a million times while rewatching the old trailer and the "Bloody Massacre" video, I was hoping that Steel Python was one of the main themes of the game. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that it only played in one place. Oh well. At least it played while fighting one of my favorite characters in the game.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rave On, in Killer7.

It's only played when you're in the hallway through the Vinculum Gate, but it's an amazing techno song. It's the main theme to this amazing tribute to the game, which convinced me to buy it.

EDIT: Ha ha ha ha.

I just read about this on Wikipedia.

The original No More Heroes trailer has been construed by some as an allegory for the console war between the Wii and PS3.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I just beat this.

Best ending ever? I think so.
    I just love how it pretty much throws every kind of movie and/or video game cliche at the player in such quick succession while breaking the 4th wall as well. It's hard to really rationalize it, so I think its just best to take it for what it is: one giant satire that revels in its silliness to a ridiculous degree, rather than trying to tie up every detail.

Although it's fun to do that too I guess.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Strifer wrote: »

Now that I have the soundtrack, I'm really sad that I can't upload MP3s to my phone to use as ringtones. D:

Gold, Silver, Bronze sound like Windows log-in music, so you could at least use that.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but it's a big thread...

I live in the UK, and the thought of a censored version fills me with generic rage. Do we know which version of the game Australia is getting? I'm hoping I can import it and get the uncut version.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PAL version most likely.

Someone is reporting that the music video included in the Japanese release and the awesome manual is being included in the so-called gimped Euro version. Exciting if true.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, just got my call saying NMH is in (Canada).

I am super pumped!

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He said the same thing on my first run-through of the game, though maybe he doesn't say it if you're playing on Sweet.

Starts talking about how he wants the lifestyle Death Metal has, wants the riches and all the women and whatnot, then starts saying something about things not feeling right and by the end he's saying "can't find the exit" over and over. That what you're talking about?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've played about an hour, and I really like the atmosphere and characters, but I do feel the music is repetive and lame, and man, are those bad guys repetetive and needless. Pizza Butt CEO has a bunch of samurai's hanging out with him at all times? fine... But dressed all exactly the same as the thugs the 10th greatest assasin of all time has hanging around his house? Not good. I guess I'm just a little upset on the lack of variety in music and bad guys.

Also, does this game get any harder? I started on Mild (thats more difficult than sweet right?)

My fiance sitting on the couch, who just recently got into video games said "so this is what video games look and sound like when they arn't made by Nintendo or Capcom, huh?" but she ended up feeling the charm of the game outweighed the somewhat lacking finness.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're a terrible person jack eddy. If you think the music is bad you might as well stop playing it. The theme in the game (the song that plays almost every level) is perfect in every way. Anyone who disagrees needs to be shot in the kneecaps.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AhtariAhtari Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Ahtari wrote: »
    Anyway I got the new saber and I dont know... I dont like it. It has alot of real slow attacks and long animations. I mean it looks cool and seems strong but fighting more then 1 or 2 guys and I get jacked up because of the huge animations between attacks.

Get the combo upgrade and occasionally switch between high/low in a combo and you'll hardly ever see the jumping or turn-stabbing attacks.

Yeah shortly after I realized I hadnt bought the extended combo yet. It is loads better now. The real ending is incredible. Thats all I'll say about that.

p.s. In the last stage in the forest, with all the lightsaber baddies, did you guys just get tired of how much HP they had and just do the jumping attack and then stab em on the ground? For me it was that or fight each one for what seemed like forever.

Ahtari on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The voice work in this game is really decent. A lot of memorable people from the world of dubs do voices.

Henry sounds like Raiden.
    #1 Has to be Mr. Blum.
    and it goes on and on.

Travis is done spectacularly.

I also appreciate how there is what, one or two different voices for all the thugs in the game? I know that one really strange voice does most of them.

Also, the soundtrack is really good.

This game also is not a visual powerhouse. It was made in an indy style for not too much money. Still the action is smooth and the graphics don't get in the way. It is not indicitive of the power of the Wii at all. The same game graphically could have probably been done on the PS2.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    so all in all, is this game worth buying?

Edit: I'm afraid i'll just be violently swinging my hand around trying to stab. How are the sequences of the moves?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    so all in all, is this game worth buying?

Edit: I'm afraid i'll just be violently swinging my hand around trying to stab. How are the sequences of the moves?

The game is worth renting at the very least.

Don't worry about waggle fatigue. The actual combat is controlled with the A and B button. The position of the Wii Remote determines whether an attack is high or low. It is also used for the wrestling moves, clashes, and deathblows, but not in a way that would make anyone tired.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    The game is worth renting at the very least.

Don't worry about waggle fatigue. The actual combat is controlled with the A and B button. The position of the Wii Remote determines whether an attack is high or low. It is also used for the wrestling moves, clashes, and deathblows, but not in a way that would make anyone tired.
    Ahh ok cool that's all i needed to know. I purchased the "Bleach: Shattered Blades" Wii sword fighting game, solely because it was produced/directed by the actual creator of Bleach and I fucking love that anime. Sigh, should have been amazing.

I was wrong. In this game, you hold down A and B, and shake the controller like a maniac building up your bankai, until you do that and take out the other guy. Very very very short replay value, and fun factor.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they handled the waggle beautifully in this game. Since you're not swinging wildly just to attack all the time, the deathblows and wrestling moves seem much more visceral.

In the middle of heated battles I find that I'm really getting into the motions, perhaps a bit too much.

The part that surprised me the most (I hadn't heard about it in previews) was how high and low stance were handled, which was really a stroke of genius.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    He said the same thing on my first run-through of the game, though maybe he doesn't say it if you're playing on Sweet.

Starts talking about how he wants the lifestyle Death Metal has, wants the riches and all the women and whatnot, then starts saying something about things not feeling right and by the end he's saying "can't find the exit" over and over. That what you're talking about?
    I really liked that part actually. It was pretty interesting listening to Travis' internal dialogue as he was in the middle of the boss fight. I was hoping this would happen on every ranked match, but it didn't unfortunately.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got this, and Killer7 today, for under 60 Canadian dollary-doos.

Oats on
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For anybody looking for Bad Girl theme song it is here.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    DeyisDeyis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I loved this game, I'm working through bitter atm, I'm hoping for a sequel or a new game that uses Travis

But
    Will there be a sequel? Sylvia said "too bad there won't be a sequel" but then it said to be continued, is this Suda 51's way of messing with us?

Deyis on
This discussion has been closed.