As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

N+ coming to XBLA

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
The next version of N is coming to XBLA tomorrow, February 20. It will be 800 live-bucks.

The PC version for those who want to brush up:
http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/n.html

http://www.metanetsoftware.com/blog/
Seriously, it’s been killing us to keep all the news about N+ quiet. We have really big mouths, and it’s hard to shut that down. But, finally, we’re FINALLY allowed to share the good news with everyone. N+ will be available for download for 800 points on this Wednesday, February 20th, at 9am PST. Yay!

We feel like maybe there’s not as much buzz as there could have been, but the orders to keep it all under our collective hat came from Microsoft’s marketing department, and presumably they know a lot more about this sort of thing than we do. ;)

At this point we’re completely anxious, worried that it’s too hard and no one will buy it because the graphics are so minimal and stylized (though stylish), and after struggling with the demo for the hypothetical 3 minutes you have before people get bored, they’ll give up instead of pushing on and finding their inner ninja. All we can do is hope people will see/play past all that and get incurably addicted. And then addict their friends! ;)

There are also a couple sets of really cool gamerpics and themes in the LIVE Marketplace — we would have liked to put them up for free, but this is apparently against policy. It *is* a bit frustrating: it seems silly to us that gamers have to pay for something entirely superficial and not even part of the game! In any case, we’ll try to have preview pics up on Wednesday, so at least you can see what you’ll be getting. There will also be one or two level packs coming in the future, though we don’t really know the timing for that yet.. but we figure 450 levels should keep everyone busy for a while ;)

The GDC is looking like it’s going to be great. Raigan’s got a presentation on Monday, and Mare and Nick are doing the N+ XBLA post-mortem on Tuesday, so we’ve still got some work to do.. but we can’t wait for Wednesday!

If this has been posted, feel free to make fun of me and lock the thread.

Doc on

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Very curious. Should be an interesting demo.

Viscountalpha on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had around 50-60/90 of those mission packs completed and around 15 still half completed on the PC.

Then I lost all my progress.

Was angry.

Iriah on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I will, without a doubt, be picking this up on the 360. I loved the flash version and would gladly pay to sit on my sofa and play the game.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So...what is it? There's no real info on the site, either.
    Edit: After some digging, I guess you're a ninja and it's a platformer/puzzle type thing

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So...what is it? There's no real info on the site, either.
    Edit: After some digging, I guess you're a ninja and it's a platformer/puzzle type thing

The PC version of the game is there to play in the op.

It's a simple platform game where you have to make it to the exit, collecting stuff on the way. It's also painfully difficult at times, which adds to the charm.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To be clearer, you control a ninja with a 90 second lifespan trying to complete platforming levels. The levels tend to be filled with things that explode or shoot at you, but you can restart a level as many times as you want, meaning that you tend to beat your head against the more difficult levels (which very rapidly becomes all of them). There's also the aforementioned 90 second time limit, which usually isn't an issue since you can extend it by picking up gold, which is often everywhere. Levels come in episodes of five, and your progress is only saved once you beat all of them, unlocking the next episode.

Edit: Actually, I just saw an ad in a Gamestop for a DS/PSP version as well.

jothki on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It also has possibly the most precise, fluid controls of any 2d platformer ever made.

Xagarath on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If I got this for a handheld device, I'd be worried that at some point I'd throw said handheld device, because some of these levels need the tagline: "By masochists, for masochists."

SithDrummer on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just hope that if this comes to the DS that it won't use the touchscreen. I love it and all, but I can't really see it being useful in a game this hard.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know what the differences are between xbla version and the pc one? I looked on the site but i couldnt find much.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    I just hope that if this comes to the DS that it won't use the touchscreen. I love it and all, but I can't really see it being useful in a game this hard.

This seems like a really incongruous comment.. what if it came to the Wii and needed waggle?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Blue map wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the differences are between xbla version and the pc one? I looked on the site but i couldnt find much.

The XBLA one has 450 levels. I don't know the specific differences other than that.

Doc on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DS and PSP use a different physics engine than the other systems due to a lack of processing power (FPU). The DS and PSP have the same feel, but feature completely different levels.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Finally. I've been waiting for this for months. I loved the original, beat it back when it was only 200 levels.

For the uninitiated, it's a very difficult platformer with extremely fluid animations and control, plus ragdoll physics. Definitely worth a shot if you're at all into platforming.

Zek on
  • BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Finally. I've been waiting for this for months. I loved the original, beat it back when it was only 200 levels.

For the uninitiated, it's a very difficult platformer with extremely fluid animations and control, plus ragdoll physics. Definitely worth a shot if you're at all into platforming.

I love how XBLA is incorporating fun little pc games; all we need now is that slime game with amazing physics that I can't remember the name of.

Brue on
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Brue wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

I love how XBLA is incorporating fun little pc games; all we need now is that slime game with amazing physics that I can't remember the name of.

Gish! KICKASS GAME.

Smudge on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It should be noted that this XBLA version and the two portable versions have all-new levels, plus multiplayer (co-op and competitive, not a whole lot revealed about this in previews).

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What the hell is N?

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game got me through so many boring training days at my old job. I'll definitely buy it.

Hey, have they ever said when Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (Puppy Hat Edition) is coming out? Live needs it!

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. The screenshots do it NO favors. I saw a video and it looks really fluid and slick, but decidedly lo-fi. I'm cautious, but I'm sure I'll try a demo when it hits Live. I'd love to see how this actually plays/controls.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    This and Castle Crashers are two games I've been waiting for.

Now if they could just push Castle Crashers out the door...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • A raptor!A raptor! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, seeing as i do all my gaming in the same monitor I do my... computing, I can't really justify the 800 points purchase, when I can play it for free on the PC anytime. I'll still try the demo though, maybe the 360 controller makes the controls even more awesome.

...oh fuck me, I just remembered, achievements.

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Even though I love Indie games, I somehow truly dislike N. The gameplay was just not as good as they made it out to be, and although watching your dead body get thrown around was cool, there are plenty of other Indie games that out shine it and should be made into more commercial products instead...

Sueve on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Very Fun, but very hard First time I have played it will definitely pick it up on my x box if it ever gets repaired.

Ziac45 on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. The screenshots do it NO favors. I saw a video and it looks really fluid and slick, but decidedly lo-fi. I'm cautious, but I'm sure I'll try a demo when it hits Live. I'd love to see how this actually plays/controls.
    Try it on the PC - it's free, and already here. Unless you're posting from your Wii.

SithDrummer on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is an ingenious plan to sell replacement controllers.

Not sure it's worth buying, with the plethora of custom maps for the regular version, but hey.

Fats on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, there's really no point in wondering, just play the PC version to see if you like it. N+ will basically be that, plus online multiplayer, achievements, and snazzier graphics.

Zek on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Multiplayer, portable N?

Oh, shit. There goes my free time.

Hylianbunny on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Would definitely buy for 400 funbucks.

800? Hmmmmmmmm...

Akinos on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

Yeah what the hell ever happened to Castle Crashers?

wobblyheadedbob on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

Yeah what the hell ever happened to Castle Crashers?

From a month ago:

http://www.thebehemoth.com/news200801.html
    Sometime soon I will be able to jump on here and tell everyone a release date, but for now, 2008 is the official release date for Castle Crashers.

Yeah. I doubt it'll be out this year. This'll be the third year it's been at PAX if it makes it to August...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It is out. N+ is available.

Viscountalpha on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Akinos wrote: »
    Would definitely buy for 400 funbucks.

800? Hmmmmmmmm...

That's a problem with the current pricing tiers. You almost have to price your game at 800 points to look like a quality game, otherwise you may get overlooked as a bargain bin title. There are exceptions to this (like Geometry Wars), but I've noticed this pattern for quite a while.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It controls well on the 360 controller which was pretty much my only worry about the game. Definitely going to pick it up sometime when I have the money.

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2008
    I tried the demo and there was more than enough there to justify the 10$ price tag, in my opinion. I should be picking this up shortly.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited February 2008
    I dug around in the demo some more and i found out there is a new object in addition to 2 new enemies.

Blue map on
    edited February 2008
    I dug around in the demo some more and i found out there is a new object in addition to 2 new enemies.

Don't leave us hanging; what are they? :O

I finished everything from 000 to 994, and this literally has me giddy with excitement.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008

Don't leave us hanging; what are they? :O

I finished everything from 000 to 994, and this literally has me giddy with excitement.

The object is a door type thing that pulses with electricty (that kills you) every 2 seconds or so, think a normal door in terms of size and shape. One of the new enemys is a laser spinner sort of thing, it constanlty spins and shoots a laser in a 360 degrees, it takes about 2 seconds for a full rotation. The seconds is alot more interesting, its a bumper drone and whenever you get to close to it, it releases a pulse that throws you backwards, the pulse it self isnt deadly though, so i think it has some great level building potential.

Blue map on
    edited February 2008
    Some of the DDA maps are going to be fantastic, then.

Hylianbunny on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game is tremendous

And it was worth 10 bucks just to play it on a fucking controller

It is so, SO SO SO MUCH better than the keyboard

Evil Multifarious on