As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've been [chat]in on the railroad

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    James wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Too bad he agreed with her at the end.

Still the point was that there was still a religious factor in the movie.

Agreed with her at the end? Hmm, when given a choice between
    1) we all die, or 2) i die while taking these guys out and you make a break for it

what would anyone do? It's not agreeing, it's making a judgment based on circumstances.

If not for a religious character, would her fanatical hope make for a believable character?

Unless there was some other scene I can't recall where Neville breaks down and asks Jesus as his personal savior blah blah, I haven't seen the movie since theatres.
    A movie doesnt need Jesus to be religious. And the agreeing part was him agreeing that she came there for a reason which is what she was saying before, that she was brought to him for a reason. The reason being was that she was supposed to take the cure from there.
    ahh, i forgot about all the stupid cure stuff. Yes, that was pretty lame. But if they didn't have that, yet still had a religious character, I don't see how a religious character without a religious message would be a bad thing.
    I think the whole cure stuff was what done it for me, good movie but I would prefer the book ending.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And now I shall go to bed which will only be for about an hour or so then I will have to get ready for a full day at school. :D

Night, or early morning, im confused.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only problem I had with the movie was
    the "God told me" bit.
    Otherwise I had no problem with the religious themes, cause, you know, people are known to get their hope from religion.

Edit: Night, Sabs!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked I Am Legend if only because I think they did a fantastic job with the scene where
    He goes into the dark building to find his dog.

I thought that whole scene was pretty creepy, and they did a good job of keeping up the anticipation.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked I Am Legend if only because I think they did a fantastic job with the scene where
    He goes into the dark building to find his dog.

I thought that whole scene was pretty creepy, and they did a good job of keeping up the anticipation.

Man, that was very well done. I felt like I was there, and it scared me.

James on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I die, I want my obituary to say that I was a war coward.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »

Did you just hide from a bunch of Marine recruiters, Gim?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »

Did you just hide from a bunch of Marine recruiters, Gim?

No. I'm watching a World War 2 movie and was thinking about Kurt Vonnegut and how he was probably labeled a war hero for most of his life and that most, if not all, war veterans are considered heroes.

I want to be thought of as a war coward. I went to war and acted in a cowardly fashion, that I went below and no further than the call of duty. I wasn't a traitor, I was just never anything close to being a hero in a situation where everyone apparently comes out a hero.

I wish to be the impossible.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    From the WW2 veterans I know, there's noone who's happy about the whole affair... well, maybe their POV is a bit different from an American POV. And I'm pretty sure that Vonnegut didn't see himself as a war hero.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm sure he didn't see himself as a war hero, either. I'm just thinking about the label that is put upon those people by the public.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    haha, four land raiders. whatcha gunna do now, orks?

James on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want to be remembered with a large bronze statue.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hope there is a future war against fish people, so I can hide in a closet and tell people I won't be coming out so the fishies can't get me.

Fishy fishy fishy can't get me.
    haha, four land raiders. whatcha gunna do now, orks?

Run away like a scared humie?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I want to be remembered with a large bronze statue.

Naked?

Also: Land Raiders? Four??? What the hell, James?

t Gim: Yeah, people have to realise that even someone labeled a "war hero" may be a poor, miserable SOB.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    They're not real land raiders, virtual ones :(

Their squads can't even get within firing range before they're las'd to death

James on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Naked but for a loin cloth and a Lenin-esque stare.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, speaking of "war heroes", there's an interesting public debate going on over here. Some weeks ago, our president agreed that our military will get some sort of medal for heroics on the battlefield or somesuch again (our's being the only militiary that hasn't such a thing).
    Ok, so the first idea was to reintroduce the Iron Cross, which led to the outcry of some people and organisations.
    How do you guys think about that?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just scanned the front page of H/A. Not a single relationship thread.

Truly, the end times are upon us.

Edit: and unless I'm mistaken, the second page of threads is clean too.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Naked but for a loin cloth and a Lenin-esque stare.

Riding a beaver.

:winky:

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I don't really see why it would cause an outcry. In fact I thought it was still an active award (but one that only gets given during wartime, so there hasn't been an opportunity to hand it out since WWII?).

And I'm off to work, I'll be back in half an hour.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, speaking of "war heroes", there's an interesting public debate going on over here. Some weeks ago, our president agreed that our military will get some sort of medal for heroics on the battlefield or somesuch again (our's being the only militiary that hasn't such a thing).
    Ok, so the first idea was to reintroduce the Iron Cross, which led to the outcry of some people and organisations.

The Iron Cross was a symbol of the Kingdom of Prussia and then later adopted for the German military. It's not a NAZI symbol and people who think it is are stupid and should be kicked in the groin.

Edit: Noting that the NAZI regime did put a swastika on later editions of the Iron Cross, but the original medal does not have such ideological ties.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hmm, the Iron Cross has a Confederate flag stigma attached to it, I assume.

However, the Iron Cross is cool whereas the Confederate flag has and always will suck.

I say bring back the Iron Cross.

Gim on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In a lot of respects the conduct of the army is kind of separated from the conduct of its directing politicians.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    In a lot of respects the conduct of the army is kind of separated from the conduct of its directing politicians.

Most people have probably only seen WW2 era Iron Crosses, which do bear the Swastika. The original medals (such as those handed out from 1870-1918 for example) do not have any such ideological symbols or anything else, being military medals.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

The Iron Cross was a symbol of the Kingdom of Prussia and then later adopted for the German military. It's not a NAZI symbol and people who think it is are stupid and should be kicked in the groin.

Edit: Noting that the NAZI regime did put a swastika on later editions of the Iron Cross, but the original medal does not have such ideological ties.

The really funny bit is: Guess what the standard symbol of our military is (painted on every vehicle, plane, ...)?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Most people have probably only seen WW2 era Iron Crosses, which do bear the Swastika. The original medals (such as those handed out from 1870-1918 for example) do not have any such ideological symbols or anything else, being military medals.
    Bring those back then. Heroic actions as a soldier are heroic actions regardless the context of the war they were for. Unless it was like, heroically raping some prisoners or something.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

The really funny bit is: Guess what the standard symbol of our military is (painted on every vehicle, plane, ...)?

Yep, it's the Iron Cross.

Edit: It's bedtime for Aegeri. He has more of Derrick the man who goes from socially defunct office worker to homicidal lunatic to write and of course, SCIENCE!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Is it chocolate? I bet it's chocolate.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No, no chocolate. Sorry, Gim.
    Anyway, the whole debate had me facepalming myself a few times.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No chocolate? Once again I am crestfallen.

Well, this is the movie I was watching. It is very, very good, but I am tired and must finish it tomorrow.

*bedtime note to self - eat a chocolate Iron Cross tomorrow*

Night all.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ohhh, Melville!
    I think I've seen this one.
    Night, Gim.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This latest PA comic is one of the better ones they've had in awhile.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This latest PA comic is one of the better ones they've had in awhile.
    The latest PA comic makes zero sense! Clearly I should read the newspost.

Edit: Okay, that is awesome.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hahaha, that's awesome!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wonderella is a really good comic, I wish it updated more.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    oh god chat i've been up 20 hours.

i know what you're thinking especially Chruch is thinking: "Hey you're a pussy you pussy I stay up for 94 hours efore breakfast."

well fuck you church fuck you you big lug <3

<3

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh God today isn't gong to bode well for me.

Sooooo tired.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh God today isn't gong to bode well for me.

Sooooo tired.

Didn't you just go to bed? :P

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I finished the last of my cinnamon rolls this morning. They were delicious but I think I'd die if I ate that much sugar every morning.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A friend told me about blueberry pancakes yesterday.
    I want blueberry pancakes sooo bad right now.

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.