Options

Unsolved Mysteries: Games That Vanish Off The Face Of The Earth

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
So this is my first attempt at starting up a decent thread here on PA, so feel free to correct me if I need to do something I'm not. You've all given me hours of boredom relief, all I want to do is return the favor.

I totally understand the cycle that goes on in retail - there's only so much shelf space, supply and demand, ect... But has there ever been a game that for some reason, excluding a recent release, is just nowhere to be found?

Last night, out of nowhere, a craving for some Katamari hit me. I loaned my brother my PS2, so it was off to find a used copy of the 360 Katamari. I didn't think it would be a big deal.

THREE stores later (GameStop, GameCraze and Best Buy) I still had no Katamari - new OR used! I found a bunch of copies of THE HISTORY CHANNEL PRESENTS some battle, and even Best Buy had copies of DOA X-TREME 2 (which I almost bought, until I realized it didnt have local multiplayer!)

So my question turns to you - is there any game that you can't find, and there's really no reason you shouldn't be able to?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Tetris DS.

I already own it. But apparently, Nintendo only printed up just enough and the game is simply no longer available.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MGS: Portable Ops. There is not one single copy in my town, new or used. Everywhere has PO+, but nobody has the original.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sleep wrote: »
    Tetris DS.

I already own it. But apparently, Nintendo only printed up just enough and the game is simply no longer available.

Yeah, I'm completely baffled by this. It's Tetris for fucks sake. How could they not have printed enough?

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final Fantasy VII.

It's a last-gen (now two gens old) game that sold seven million copies, so you'd think that, like all old-gen games that sold millions, it'd be on ebay for like five bucks, kinda like Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, or Megaman X4. Instead it demands upwards of sixty dollars. What the hell? No, you don't get to put "OMFG RARE LQQK" next to Final Fantasy fucking Seven.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    MGS: Portable Ops. There is not one single copy in my town, new or used. Everywhere has PO+, but nobody has the original.

This. Seriously. One day it was in all the stores. The next... I can't find it anywhere except online.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I got tetris DS at the first store I went to.

On the other side, I've tried 4 different Blockbusters, 3 different EA games 2 best buys and 2 future shops and none of them have had Warhawk for PS3 for rent or buy, new or used.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, and We <3 Katamari is seemingly impossible to find, too.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd gather a guess that fry's has most of this stuff (although most of the locations are in CA). They order so many games that most of the time they just leave the shipping boxes they came in at the bottom of the shelves since there is no room.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tetris DS.

Yeah, I'm completely baffled by this. It's Tetris for fucks sake. How could they not have printed enough?

That's odd, my store has a bunch of copies. We've had a bunch ever since the game launched.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Twilight Princess on the Gamecube.

I have the Wii version, but the Gamecube version goes for way above what I would expect on eBay, and hardly any places stocked it around these parts.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I also was pretty shocked when my back up plan when I couldnt find Katamari was "The Twin Snakes" for Gamecube on the Wii, and that was equally impossible to find. And it's really expensive online.

Nothing though was more depressing when I FINALLY found a used copy of Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast 2 years ago, for $15, and it was scratched on the first Knuckles level to the point it would lock up. That game is so expensive everywhere.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Ico, MGS2: Substance (I can't find a stand-alone Subsistence either, am I doing something wrong?), Unlimited Saga.

Edit: And the old Megaman games on the Gameboy. The first one (Dr. Wily's Revenge) is still pretty common, as well as the second one, but there was only one GameStop (in some hick town in my state) that had the third and fifth ones. They wanted $10 and $15, respectively, and I bought those because I know that Rockman World IV and V are impossible to find. Still haven't found the fourth one.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll do one better.

If anyone can find Warhawk without the USB headset in stores, let me know. For you sir, are truly the next Indiana Jones.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Tetris DS.

That's odd, my store has a bunch of copies. We've had a bunch ever since the game launched.

Buy em. They're going on eBay for 50 - 60 bucks.
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VII.

It's a last-gen (now two gens old) game that sold seven million copies, so you'd think that, like all old-gen games that sold millions, it'd be on ebay for like five bucks, kinda like Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, or Megaman X4. Instead it demands upwards of sixty dollars. What the hell? No, you don't get to put "OMFG RARE LQQK" next to Final Fantasy fucking Seven.

I wonder how much I'd get for my copy of the game. It's an early copy, lots of typos in the manual, a typo on the back box insert, and is Aeris/Aerith. Whatever her name was before they changed it in later pressings.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gladius for the Gamecube was it for me. Found it at a Toy-R-Us, but not at the Best Buy next door.

Weirdest thing for me was, after getting online and looking up lucasarts for what was the deal, it mentioned the Xbox and PS2 versions were out, but it almost sounded like, even though they said it was comming for the GCN for months, like the damn thing didn't exist anymore...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I found Ikaruga once, just walking into a Gamestop. It was right there on the wall, used, for Gamecube, for $35, so I bought it on the spot, because, fuck, it's Ikaruga.

I later sold it, though. The price was still high and the 360 version is coming soon.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Mario and Luigi Partners in Time is impossible to find. I can find every other first party DS game, New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach, Yoshi's Island DS. But PIT doesn't exist in the wild.
    I eventually broke down and bought it online.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm having a hard time finding the Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law game (supposedly it's as funny as the TV show, even if it is easy), though considering 1) it came out after its TV show was cancelled, and 2) Capcom is notorious for teensy print runs on games it doesn't expect to sell, see point 1... I'm not exactly surprised it's a bit scarce.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Megaman X3 (SNES).

I rented the game once, and DEMANDED my dad get it for me. After a few weeks of pestering, he agreed. Of course, by that time, the game was gone forever. I look on ebay and see it for $80. What the fuck.

And yes, I do have Anniversary Collection. But I want the X3 without shitty music.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I found Ikaruga once, just walking into a Gamestop. It was right there on the wall, used, for Gamecube, for $35, so I bought it on the spot, because, fuck, it's Ikaruga.

Ugh, that's another one I can't find.

I've got another - Rayman 2: Revolution on PS2. Sure, I have The Great Escape on N64 still, but if I can locate the former, then find the old PS1 game (and a DVD cover to print) and pick up Rayman 3, I'll feel just a little happier inside.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time finding the Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law game (supposedly it's as funny as the TV show, even if it is easy), though considering 1) it came out after its TV show was cancelled, and 2) Capcom is notorious for teensy print runs on games it doesn't expect to sell, see point 1... I'm not exactly surprised it's a bit scarce.

Not even getting a PAL release

:|

LewieP on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll do one better.

If anyone can find Warhawk without the USB headset in stores, let me know. For you sir, are truly the next Indiana Jones.

I don't think they sold warhawk without the USB headset in stores.

But if you just want the game and nothing else, why not buy it off PSN?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The BX on base here seems to have rows and rows of it for sale, and nobody is buying.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any Atlus game. I mean seriously is it a cult following or what?

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, I own Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The trick to finding a copy of that game is to be enough of a fan to have bought it at launch and then laugh at people paying upwards of $80 on eBay for the inferior PS2/Xbox ports.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Final Fantasy VII.

Blame Advent Children, prices skyrocketed after it.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, I own Marvel vs. Capcom 2. The trick to finding a copy of that game is to be enough of a fan to have bought it at launch and then laugh at people paying upwards of $80 on eBay for the inferior PS2/Xbox ports.

So proud to have MvC2. I dont have the case anymore, it's just on a spindle of loose Dreamcast discs. But it works and still gets played a lot.

I actually am pretty proud of my Dreamcast collection - I used to buy almost anything that came out for it, and have some great stuff now. The best being MDK2, Seaman w/ Mic, Samba w/ Maracas and Cannon Spike.

EDIT: Speaking of hard to find things, the vending machine at work has ZAGNUT bars in it. Holy shit, I want to buy them all just to stockpile.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Freakin' FFVII. $60 for a greatest hits copy at Cash Converters...

Apparently Suikoden II is impossible to find, too. My friend's got a copy of it though. She guards it with her life.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    FFVII was my first eBay burn. I found an auction ending in the middle of the day and won it for $38 or so. Guy dropped off the face of the earth and PayPal only gave me like $13 back.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I... I have two copies of FFVII for the PSX. Though I think I'm missing Disc 3 on one of them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Gladius for the Gamecube was it for me. Found it at a Toy-R-Us, but not at the Best Buy next door.

Weirdest thing for me was, after getting online and looking up lucasarts for what was the deal, it mentioned the Xbox and PS2 versions were out, but it almost sounded like, even though they said it was comming for the GCN for months, like the damn thing didn't exist anymore...

Yup.

I heard Gladius was a TRPG, so I looked and looked and looked but never found it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Anybody remember The Bouncer? A rudimentary brawler by Square that came out soon after the PS2 did. It was terrible, but I guess it has collector's value or something. I had to pick it up at a pawn shop, and they only wanted $5.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's pretty funny how often this happens to high quality Nintendo games of all things.

The first three Advance Wars games were impossible to find new after a year.

Same with Mario Kart:Super Circuit until it became a greatest hit.

Mario Party 2 suffered as well. Hard as balls to find that one new for a long time. Best in the series until DS.

It is amusing how now it is effecting once common as shit PSX rpgs. FF VII used to be in every Walmart or grocery store sometimes for as little as eight dollars.

Hell even FF VIII and IX are creeping up in value.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Do you think it has something to do with the fact that these games are on discs, and those aren't exactly the most durable of things?

I mean, in FFVII's case, 11 years of fingerprints and scratches might account for a good chunk of its rarity.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It is amusing how now it is effecting once common as shit PSX rpgs. FF VII used to be in every Walmart or grocery store sometimes for as little as eight dollars.

I got mine sometime in late 2003 - after most people stopped caring, but before the...advent of Advent Children. $15 at Meijer, and I mowed lawns to get it. Then after a few years, I lent it to someone and when I got it back, Disc 3 was unplayable. So I sold the first two.

I still have FFVIII but I can't find Disc 3.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm so glad I have a copy of MGS: PO. The only sucky thing is that for some reason Gamestop has to put some retarded sticker right on the insert.

what the hell.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I recently purchased a copy of Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance II...new.
    For twenty bucks.

Apparantly it is one of the rarer PS2 games.

I am really suprised these games aren't more prominant. I don't know how many countless hours my friends and I have dumped into these absolutly mindless games. They are just so fun.

Sorry to go off topic but what ever happened to this kind of Hack N Slash? The last one I played on the PS3 was absolute crap.

Troy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Very much alive on handhelds.

Monster Hunter Freedom, FF:CC, Soma Bringer. Pretty much a golden age of the genre.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is pretty good for hack and slash as well, even if the story is beyond silly.

By the way, how much does a launch-day, non-scratched copy of FFVIII go for nowadays? On the one hand, I like having complete video game collections, but on the other, I like money.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    Do you think it has something to do with the fact that these games are on discs, and those aren't exactly the most durable of things?

I mean, in FFVII's case, 11 years of fingerprints and scratches might account for a good chunk of its rarity.

Pretty much. Of course, cartridges suffer from being (comparatively) more expensive to create more copies of. So it's lose-lose. But at least with cartridges you know those fucking things will still be around in 50 years, provided you don't throw them away or run them over with a truck or melt them down.

This is part of the reason I think (not to sidetrack too far) that copyrighted works should fall into the public domain after a publisher fails to keep new copies available for a given length of time. If you no longer like money, that's cool and all...but I still like your game, and part of using government power to enforce your copyrights should be the requirement that you continue to make it available. If you claim it's no longer profitable to do so...well then I guess you don't need the copyrights anymore anyway, now do you?
    That's an overly simplistic statement, of course. You've got to make exceptions for derivative works, for instance (printing more copies of FF7 for limited profit by a third party is much different than suddenly allowing third parties to make entirely new FF games without compensation/permission)....and so on.

Anyway, not trying to completely derail, it's just that I think titles like these are examples of why I think publishers should, as part of their responsibilities as copyright holders, be required to ensure that copies of their works are still available. Hell, I imagine there are plenty of third-parties who wouldn't mind printing limited runs to distribute through sellers like amazon.com, and I'm sure there's at least some market for those copies if the price point was kept low (like $10).

mcdermott on