As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You all know what I'm talking about. I think you all owe me a coke.:winky:

How about a
    pepsiclear.jpg

If being not being "labeled as a loser" is so worth it to you, then maybe these games aren't for you. There's got to be a winner and a loser in these types of games.

And the thing here is that you can't use what you want and be labeled a loser. No one else is making that claim. I'm taking a dreadnought in my Thousand Sons army. Is the most effective points buy? Probably not, but I like the model I made for it, and I think it's cool that it goes batshit insane and can shoot my own guys. It's fun, and if someone calls me a "loser" so be it. I like my dread.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm going to crawl back under my rock and observe. Admins , please step in and put the foot down, because we've already killed two pages talking about emotions, and feelnigs, and shit....

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm gonna shut up. I'll probably log out for a while.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay. Back to 40k...

So, I after taking in suggestions and reading the thread, I decided that Grey Knights would probably be a bad idea for me, especially because I'd probably be tempted to run like an 11 model army with too many upgrades. I keep hearing mention that Necrons are an easy army to learn and an inexpensive one to boot. Plus, I can freely paint them metallic without feeling bad. So, I've been giving the immortal machines a good looking at as a starting army according to you guys' advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding Necrons at 500 points? Is the the starter set a good idea for them? (I'm at work, so can't check if there is even one for necrons.)

Also, I'm worried my list will essentially be 1xNecron Lord, 1xHeavy Destroyer, 40xNecron Warriors. I just want some variation in my models. Is this an unfounded or a reasonable fear for Necrons at small points?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm honestly trying to be better than I was back then. I don't mean to be ungrateful, it's just how am I supposed to have fun when I can't take anythingI like? or, perhaps a more jarring question would be, how come the things I like are so "wrong" or "unworkable"?

Two reasons it appears that way to you, Shrimpy:

1) You exagerrate every suggestion made to alter your list as an authoratative demand to turn it into a min/maxed powergamer list.

2) Your ideas in previous cases of adding 'what you want' has consistently involved loading units with an excess of a specialized option, equiping a unit for multiple contradictory roles, including too many elite/specialized units and too few core units, attempting to maintain symmetry or numbers that aren't necessary, or just trying to overplay exagerrated or just plain misunderstood themes and strategies you think the army has (see point one).

I get the impression I'm the only one who finds these long clawshrimpy debates amusing.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is a starter set (Battleforce), for $90 US:

28 Necron Warriors
    7 Scarab Swarm Bases
    3 Necron Destroyers

Pretty good starter force I think. I would think Necron at smaller point levels would be about what you described. A couple Squads of Warriors, Lord, and either Destoyer variant. My Necron knowledge is purely theory. 500 points isn't that big and Necrons aren't cheap points wise, and phase out might be more of an issue at those smaller points values.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Okay. Back to 40k...

So, I after taking in suggestions and reading the thread, I decided that Grey Knights would probably be a bad idea for me, especially because I'd probably be tempted to run like an 11 model army with too many upgrades. I keep hearing mention that Necrons are an easy army to learn and an inexpensive one to boot. Plus, I can freely paint them metallic without feeling bad. So, I've been giving the immortal machines a good looking at as a starting army according to you guys' advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding Necrons at 500 points? Is the the starter set a good idea for them? (I'm at work, so can't check if there is even one for necrons.)

Also, I'm worried my list will essentially be 1xNecron Lord, 1xHeavy Destroyer, 40xNecron Warriors. I just want some variation in my models. Is this an unfounded or a reasonable fear for Necrons at small points?

You usually have a large core of warriors, the big variation is 'do I want to teleport around with warriors/immortals' or 'do I want to use a ton of regular Destroyers' - they are both fun lists. I wouldn't personally recommend the 'cron army box, IIRC it comes with alot of stuff you won't wind up using.

Edit: That's actually a pretty good army box. 500pts is gonna be a 10-minute game anyway, so start with whatever helps you learn the basic units the best.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

I get the impression I'm the only one who finds these long clawshrimpy debates amusing.

They're pretty funny, it's just sad because a solid chunk of the gamer population takes the same approach to army design/gameplay that he does.

FYI shrimpy, you can have a decent list without it being this horrific nightmare of minmaxing cheese that you describe (not that it would matter, those lists are usually fun to play, and make your opponent bring a better list, which usually helps you both grow as players)

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

They're pretty funny, it's just sad because a solid chunk of the gamer population takes the same approach to army design/gameplay that he does.

FYI shrimpy, you can have a decent list without it being this horrific nightmare of minmaxing cheese that you describe (not that it would matter, those lists are usually fun to play, and make your opponent bring a better list, which usually helps you both grow as players)
    It mostly came from me beign afraid, like with Blood Angels, that I wanted to assault a lot, but bringing a lot of Assault Cannons was more effective, because it's beardy. I liked my Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Lightning Claws. but, they werent effective, so I just kitbashed and sold my army, hell, maybe I better sell my Tyranids and find something better to do with my money. I don't know, though, I want something fun to do with people in my area. I really wish CCG's hadn't died.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    PaliPali Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll post again, since it got lost in the rabble rabble.

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

I'm looking into a small Ravenwing list that I might be tempted to actually buy as a second force..

Master of Ravenwing on Jetbike

6 Bikes - 2* Plasma gun

6 Bikes - 2* Plasma gun

3 Landspeeders

999pts (It also comes to £115 so it isn't TOO expensive)

I know the ravenwing this way is mobile, but what do you think of this list for a 1000pts? In friendly battle I would be playing, only one list has one tank so i'm not too worried about tanks.. I mean !one! (all 10pts of it) of my ferinisian Wolves managed to immobilize it for a turn. so I would assume enough bike dakka dakka could poke some holes into things.

Pali on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Okay. Back to 40k...

At 500 points you've really only got room for your required two Warrior units and a Lord, so you don't really have room to worry about variety until medium games. From there you can tack on Immortals, two types of scarabs and destroyers (can't comment on the effectiveness of the former, but it's at least variety), Maybe Wraiths or Pariahs if you fidn a use for them, and everyone's favorite, the Monolith.
    Including C'tan as units is dumb and they shouldn't have even been mentioned in the fluff.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He could always do what I do. I go into a game fully expecting to loose horribly. As it becomes evident what I will in fact loose, I start making objectives for my self like, "I MUST kill that unit," or their HQ or something like that. If all else fails, I simply shout, "fix bayonets" and charge all my guys into assault.

Whatever happens I'm having a blast. Of course I play more for the narrative and fluff than anything else, so I may be unique. 8-)

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pali wrote: »
    I'll post again, since it got lost in the rabble rabble.

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

I'm looking into a small Ravenwing list that I might be tempted to actually buy as a second force..

Master of Ravenwing on Jetbike

6 Bikes - 2* Plasma gun

6 Bikes - 2* Plasma gun

3 Landspeeders

999pts (It also comes to £115 so it isn't TOO expensive)

I know the ravenwing this way is mobile, but what do you think of this list for a 1000pts? In friendly battle I would be playing, only one list has one tank so i'm not too worried about tanks.. I mean !one! (all 10pts of it) of my ferinisian Wolves managed to immobilize it for a turn. so I would assume enough bike dakka dakka could poke some holes into things.

If your interested, I have a ravenwing battleforce box sitting in my basement minus a single biker. I could give you a discount on it. :P

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited April 2008
    He could always do what I do. I go into a game fully expecting to loose horribly. As it becomes evident what I will in fact loose, I start making objectives for my self like, "I MUST kill that unit," or their HQ or something like that. If all else fails, I simply shout, "fix bayonets" and charge all my guys into assault.

Whatever happens I'm having a blast. Of course I play more for the narrative and fluff than anything else, so I may be unique. 8-)
    Yeah, I guess that could work.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If all else fails, I simply shout, "fix bayonets" and charge all my guys into assault.

Straight out of the Litany of Command, that one! :P

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Got any IG armour you don't need? :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

Not Possible.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It's like watching a car crash, you know it's horrible but you just can't take your eyes off it.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm honestly trying to be better than I was back then. I don't mean to be ungrateful, it's just how am I supposed to have fun when I can't take anythingI like? or, perhaps a more jarring question would be, how come the things I like are so "wrong" or "unworkable"?

The consensus seems to be that your tyranid lists are fine, and it's probably your tactics that need work. A couple of detailed battle reports might help us diagnose why you're losing.

f-k-t on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

At 500 points you've really only got room for your required two Warrior units and a Lord, so you don't really have room to worry about more warriors until medium games. From there you can tack on Immortals, two types of scarabs and destroyers (can't comment on the effectiveness of the former, but it's at least variety, killer of all things necron), Maybe Wraiths or Pariahs if you are clinically insane, and everyone's favorite, the Monolith.

Fixed it up a bit for ya

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    f-k-t wrote: »

The consensus seems to be that your tyranid lists are fine, and it's probably your tactics that need work. A couple of detailed battle reports might help us diagnose why you're losing.

No, his lists are bad too, we just haven't gotten to work on them because his ideology is in the way.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This discussion is going places

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    Redbeard09Redbeard09 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm new to the battlefield. I've watched a few games but this is my first real attempt at putting together an army list. Any recommendations/advice would be helpful.

Tau 1001 pts

Only 1000 because i barely have enough models to proxy as it is.

HQ
    Shas'o - 128 pts
    -Twin-linked Missile-pod
    -Plasma rifle
    -Bonding knife
    -Hard-wired targer lock
    -Hard-wired multi-tracker
    -Hard-wired drone controller

Shas'vre - 71 pts
    -Flamer
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

Shas'vre - 87 pts
    -Fusion blaster
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

2 shield drones - 30 pts

Heavy Support
    Sniper Drone Team - 80 pts

Hammerhead - 175
    -Railgun
    -Smart missile system
    -Multi-tracker
    -Target Lock

Troop
    42 Fire warriors - 430 pts

Dispersed
    12 - with markerlight

I have the entire codex in a spreadsheet so changing things around should be pretty easy

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Redbeard09 wrote: »
    I'm new to the battlefield. I've watched a few games but this is my first real attempt at putting together an army list. Any recommendations/advice would be helpful.

Tau 1001 pts

HQ
    Shas'o - 128 pts
    -Twin-linked Missile-pod
    -Plasma rifle
    -Bonding knife
    -Hard-wired targer lock

Shas'vre - 71 pts
    -Flamer
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

Shas'vre - 87 pts
    -Fusion blaster
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

2 shield drones - 30 pts

Heavy Support

Hammerhead - 175
    -Railgun
    -Smart missile system
    -Multi-tracker
    -Target Lock

Troop

Dispersed
    12 - with markerlight

I have the entire codex in a spreadsheet so changing things around should be pretty easy

If you split the crisis suits into seperate teams you could save some points on the target locks. Are the bodyguards bs4? I can't remember.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »

Not Possible.

My mind just shut down trying to imagine having too much armor. It was something like trying to imagine infinity. :p

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008

Tau 1001 pts

HQ
    Shas'o - 128 pts
    -Twin-linked Missile-pod
    -Plasma rifle
    -Bonding knife
    -Hard-wired targer lock

Shas'vre - 71 pts
    -Flamer
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

Shas'vre - 87 pts
    -Fusion blaster
    -Plasma Rifle
    -Target Array
    -Hard-wired target lock

2 shield drones - 30 pts

Heavy Support

Hammerhead - 175
    -Railgun
    -Smart missile system
    -Multi-tracker
    -Target Lock

Troop

Dispersed
    12 - with markerlight

If you split the crisis suits into seperate teams you could save some points on the target locks. Are the bodyguards bs4? I can't remember.

bs3 ws3

the regular ones are only ws2

so you saying take the two as a squad rather than bodyguards? or two more individual suits?

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    two more individual suits is my recommendation, you would save points on the target locks. You could upgrade them to be sergeants of their own squad if you really wanted, but you don't need to.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    two more individual suits is my recommendation, you would save points on the target locks. You could upgrade them to be sergeants of their own squad if you really wanted, but you don't need to.

I've got 69 points now (less the taget lock, wargear and drones).

Drop a few FW and take some kroot maybe?

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You could buy more warriors, or another suit, or maybe skimp on something and grab a devilfish? (they are 75 pts right?)

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you have alot of suits and infantry, you might want to turn the Hammerhead into a unit of Broadsides, so it doesn't stick out from everything else.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You could buy more warriors, or another suit, or maybe skimp on something and grab a devilfish? (they are 75 pts right?)

they're 80. and I've actually got 79 pts , so its possible . Also is there a limit on the number if individual suits (elites) I can take?

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well. I wanted to give this one more try before I quit 40k for good.

If I were to go and sell my Tyranids for extra funbucks, What would be another army that would be good for me to try one last time.

Have the Orks changed much from when I tried them before the codex came out?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

they're 80. and I've actually got 79 pts , so its possible . Also is there a limit on the number if individual suits (elites) I can take?

3 squads of 1-3 IIRC. You were @ 1001 at last count, so a devilfish would put you @ 1k even, it might be handy, or you could take the Hammerhead + the 79 pts and buy broadsides.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If I were to go and sell my Tyranids for extra funbucks, What would be another army that would be good for me to try one last time.

facepalm.jpeg

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

facepalm.jpeg

What? I just want to try one last time.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Orks are probably a good choice - they are simple and direct, and very effective.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

facepalm.jpeg

Damn you! That was the exact picture I was about to post.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just give up Shrimpy, if not for your own sake, for everyone here instead.

J on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

3 squads of 1-3 IIRC. You were @ 1001 at last count, so a devilfish would put you @ 1k even, it might be handy, or you could take the Hammerhead + the 79 pts and buy broadsides.

I think I'm going to take 2 more crisis for the elite squads (2 squads of 2 + the commander), drop the hammerhead and 8 FW and take a team of 3 broadsides. After changing the weapon options around a bit, it should be possible to get an even 1k

Redbeard09 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Orks are probably a good choice - they are simple and direct, and very effective.
    But, I heard they made them really really shooty in the new codex, not very orky at all.

Clawshrimpy on
This discussion has been closed.