As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Democratic Primaries]: The End of the Beginning

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Does Clinton even see a numbers bump post-debate now?

Satan. on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm just bamboozled that, apparently, desperation has set in so thick that they're trying to set up a debate to determine the outcome of Puerto Rico.

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    I'm just bamboozled that, apparently, desperation has set in so thick that they're trying to set up a debate to determine the outcome of Puerto Rico.

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

50-state strategy is a 50-state strategy.

Satan. on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

Yes, because Hillary Clinton has consistently demonstrated her dedication to the 50-state strategy.

Hachface on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

51 state strategy.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

Yes, because Hillary Clinton has consistently demonstrated her dedication to the 50-state strategy.

I'm just trying to get ahead of her talking points.

Satan. on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fucking Richardson.

New Mexico would be on the list of such undeserving places as well if he wasn't so hell-bent on trying to guarantee a win and then not even sticking it out long enough to run in the goddamn state.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

I'm just trying to get ahead of her talking points.

Not even 51. It's a 50 states and territories-abroad strategy.

Obama declared over 17 months ago. Maybe they weren't paying attention?

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

And South Dakota

And fucking Montana.

She wanted two in Oregon.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I've also heard that Ferraro is simply senile, though the link you posted is a bit more convincing. Unless someone steps in to say the claim is bogus, I am going to be a bit more sympathetic in my assessment of Bill Clinton, but he's still a dick for a lot of the things he did before 2004.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

Jesus... I suddenly have a lot more sympathy for the man again. I never really thought about how he's behaving now compared to how he composed himself during his administration.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Jesus... I suddenly have a lot more sympathy for the man again. I never really thought about how he's behaving now compared to how he composed himself during his administration.

Wow.

I did a year-long study of that exact situation. We studied the surface failure of cardiovascular bypass tubing and its possible impact on patients through "pump head" syndrome. There's a filter that catches any sort of impurities that leech into the blood, but I guess Mr. Clinton was affected regardless.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, a 50% chance of having it happen to you. Dang.

I wasn't old enough to know exactly how Bill composed himself during his presidency, but I'm willing to buy this explanation.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bill always oozed sleaze to me but he seems much more gaffe prone these days.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hah, looks like McCain's campaign made a pretty big boo boo. There's an anti-Obama 527 group called Vets for Freedom, and on that page is a list of advisers. Notice Lindsey Graham, who also happens to be a national Co-Chair of McCain's campaign. Coordination between campaigns and 527's, like is fairly evident here, is illegal.

Savant on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'd heard the "pump head" speculation before. It's fucking terrifying stuff, but not something you want to be tossing out there about a former president and great American. Can you imagine the monumental level of pride he'd have to swallow to come out and admit that a disorder that you had no power to prevent is affecting your judgement when you're used to being the one in control?

It's partly for this reason that I haven't allowed myself to get too angry with him (certainly not as angry as his wife makes me).

The worst thing about it is that I think Hillary has essentially let him goad her into staying in the race beyond all cognitive rationality because... shit, the guy hasn't lost in almost 30 years. If he says you've got a chance, then you've probably got a chance, right? Right?

It's rough to see your heroes as mere humans.
    Savant wrote: »
    Hah, looks like McCain's campaign made a pretty big boo boo. There's an anti-Obama 527 group called Vets for Freedom, and on that page is a list of advisers. Notice Lindsey Graham, who also happens to be a national Co-Chair of McCain's campaign. Coordination between campaigns and 527's, like is fairly evident here, is illegal.

Mighty Joe Lieberman is on there, too.

These guys are trying to goad Obama to go to Iraq. There's something vaguely sinister about their insistance.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Why do you think Hillary has been goaded into staying in by Bill?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Graham was suggesting it be a joint trip with McCain in tow. It still doesn't seem all that warranted. What they'd be able to experience with a brigade surrounidng them really wouldn't represent 'facts on the ground,' or whatever the hell they call it, and gives an impossibly small snapshot of what's occurring.

moniker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    duallain wrote: »
    I want old Bill back, playing the sax, shagging some ladies in his office. This new Bill, standing up saying things is really annoying. Especially when they're all wrong.
    I am so reminded of the Simpsons episode from years ago, with this surprisingly applicable gem:
    -President Clinton: You taught children a valuable lesson. When things don't go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
    -Marge: That's a pretty lousy lesson.
    -President Clinton: Hey...I'm a pretty lousy president.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Savant wrote: »

Another day, another election law violation from McCain....

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Given that he wrote the damn thing, you'd expect them to be more capable at finding the loopholes. Or was this the part that Feingold penned?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Why do you think Hillary has been goaded into staying in by Bill?

It wouldn't take much goading, to be sure. She's as power-hungry as he is, but he's the one concerned with legacy. Obama is trying to steal his title of the "first black president" and he's running on "hope" and "change." Basically, Obama is doing what Bill Clinton did, without being a DLC sellout.

If he can make sure that his wife wins, he can prove that the DLC remains the most viable force in the Democratic party.
    moniker wrote: »
    Given that he wrote the damn thing, you'd expect them to be more capable at finding the loopholes. Or was this the part that Feingold penned?

I'm starting to think that McCain wrote the thing about using Cindy's jet and Feingold wrote everything else. McCain was never much of a wonk, and Feingold was. What probably happened is that McCain sucked so bad at fundraising that Russ saw an opportunity to get bipartisan support for royally fucking the Old Boy Network politicians.

EDIT: Hah, guaranteed to please: A MyDD poster breaks it down for Boomers that you should be careful what you wish for.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

EDIT: Hah, guaranteed to please: A MyDD poster breaks it down for Boomers that you should be careful what you wish for.

You may all find this very difficult to believe, but I was able to read the comments for this post without losing IQ points and/or having my brain leak out my ears.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Having read the comments as well I could understand it.

Of course it is also a popular theory that I have no IQ to lose, so take that with a grain of salt.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aww, he mentioned us!

Barack Obama proposes fairer UK partnership

Speaking to supporters in London by telephone link, he said the relationship needed to be "recalibrated" amid concerns among his campaign staff that dealings between the two nations were unequal, with the US benefiting most from the so-called "special relationship".

"We have a chance to recalibrate the relationship and for the United Kingdom to work with America as a full partner," Mr Obama was reported to have told a fundraising event at the home of Elisabeth Murdoch, the television company owner and daughter of Rupert Murdoch, the media baron.

Mr Obama's advisers believe President George W Bush was by far the dominant partner in his relationship with former Prime Minister Tony Blair, who gained little in return for supporting the US invasion of Iraq. The US had to listen to the UK and in some cases, follow London's, rather than Washington's lead on issues of foreign policy cooperation, the advisers reportedly said.

The event was attended by around 200 prominent American expatriates and raised £200,000 for his campaign. Mr Obama told the gathering: "I was brought up by an expatriate and I know what it's like to look at the world differently".

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2008

You may all find this very difficult to believe, but I was able to read the comments for this post without losing IQ points and/or having my brain leak out my ears.

As silly season ends and the more ridiculous commenters are outed as trolls or switch over to the Democratic ticket at large, you'll probably see smarter comments.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So has anyone gone through the list of failed democratic nominees and compared them to Obama to see if this "We've seen it all before" stuff holds any water? The two who come to mind the most readily are Kerry and Dukakis. Dukakis lost because he had dumb PR people, and Kerry lost because he didn't have it in him to respond to attacks.

Obama has neither of these flaws.

edit: The comments on that MyDD diary bode well for the future.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And all these people saying Obama looks very presidential in sunglasses/hats are sexist assholes, right? Because obviously no-one could comment on appearance without it being sexist.

Clearly Clinton has been slighted by being complimented for having fashion sense.

edit: Same with all the other "sexism" in the video. Most of it is out of context quotes, and the rest are compliments on fashion sense.

edit2: And it's quoting all the worst pundits.

MKR on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Worse as in "god the media are awful" or worse as in "shut up feminists" ? That was a very good video from the WMC for once; it serves feminism better if the focus is purely on the media's sexism, rather than making any grand claims about how Clinton has lost because of it.

Even the YouTube comments on that video are actually reasonable. :!:
    I came here thinking this would be a whiny video, but damn, I didn't realise Chris Matthews was this bad.
    MKR wrote:
    the rest are compliments on fashion sense.

Talking constantly about what powerful women wear is only a compliment at the very shallowest level of understanding.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, I posted that when I was only about 10 seconds in. That's what all the edits are for.

edit: Wait, are you saying it's shallow to compliment someone on what they're wearing?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    And all these people saying Obama looks very presidential in sunglasses/hats are sexist assholes, right? Because obviously no-one could comment on appearance without it being sexist.

Clearly Clinton has been slighted by being complimented for having fashion sense.

edit: Same with all the other "sexism" in the video. Most of it is out of context quotes, and the rest are compliments on fashion sense.

That's like complaining about how it's only offensive to use the N-Word if the person who says it isn't black.

Focusing on a woman's appearance to the extent where her worth is determined largely by how she looks is a common and overwhelming problem for the female sex, whereas comments about how men look are generally limited and also one of the last things used to decide whether or not a man is qualified. Frankly, you can't equivocate between the two, because even if it seems like the same things are being said in both instances (and no, nobody has complained about Obama showing cleavage or looking too terrible for the job) the fact still remains that comments about men generally have no lasting effect whereas comments and judgments about women which zero in on their looks and never dare to examine anything else about them have held them back for generations and continue to do so, even when a woman is seeking the highest station in this country.

And yeah, I realize they're quoting the worst pundits in the business, but the fact remains that these men and women are able to say these things without being reprimanded in any way beyond, you know, attracting the ire of feminists who frankly do not have the kind of pull needed to generate a firestorm.

The fact that they're famous assholes doesn't make it any better.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I just want to make it clear that the comment on compliments came after I had only heard a couple compliments, and had assumed the video would be blowing things out of proportion.

The cleavage thing is obviously stupid, but you also have to take note of who is saying it. The video takes choice quotes from known dipshits to support a weak point. As far as I can tell, the point is that sexism is rampant in the media, when it really isn't. How much of the video is from Fox News? Fox News. And the rest are from the idiot minority on other networks.

MKR on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just want to make it clear that the comment on compliments came after I had only heard a couple compliments, and had assumed the video would be blowing things out of proportion.

The cleavage thing is obviously stupid, but you also have to take note of who is saying it. The video takes choice quotes from known dipshits to support a weak point. As far as I can tell, the point is that sexism is rampant in the media, when it really isn't. How much of the video is from Fox News? Fox News. And the rest are from the idiot minority on other networks.

Fox has had the best coverage for Clinton, though!

(oh, and since people said myDD was getting better, I went and looked. First post? STOP TROLL RATING TROLLISH COMMENTS BY CLINTON PEOPLE *banstick* So much better.)

kildy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I don't understand how the source of the comments does anything to discount the point.

Fox News is the chief example of everything that's wrong in the media today. Now you're going to tell me that they are so bad that they may no longer serve as an example anymore? As if they've become so ridiculous that the channel now counts as fiction?

When you remove Fox from the discussions, you don't get a more accurate view of things.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    By the way, 'Pump Head' has also been blamed for Cheny.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't understand how the source of the comments does anything to discount the point.

Fox News is the chief example of everything that's wrong in the media today. Now you're going to tell me that they are so bad that they may no longer serve as an example anymore? As if they've become so ridiculous that the channel now counts as fiction?

When you remove Fox from the discussions, you don't get a more accurate view of things.
    I think the lol Fox News bit is that we all know Fox News if fucking shit so pointing at it and saying "It's shit!" isn't really going to do anything here.

Yes, it's still shit and should be called shit but you won't be finding much discussion on the point.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited May 2008

But Fox News != "the media". Sure, they have millions of viewers, but the viewers of the tens of other networks dwarfs Fox News' viewership.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Fox News isn't Brian Williams, and Chris Matthews isn't Katie Couric. He's a giant man-child.

Pointing to those two as evidence for how horrid the media is really doesn't say anything new beyond driving the point home that they should be avoided at all costs. If you were to do that, then what is the claim of the piece? Has there been rampant sexism or misogynistic attacks by the network shows, PBS, NPR, and/or the pundits on CNN and MSNBC whom I would wish a swift death? I'd like to see that series of clips.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.