As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie Appreciation Thread

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    It's possible I will be heading out to the hospital (with a few friends) next week for some actual tunnel exploration.

The rope ladder plan fell-through, but with 2 other people there I can manage with a single rope.

I had a vision of the scene where Bean confronts Achillies in Ender's Shadow.

Good luck.

TL DR on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's possible I will be heading out to the hospital (with a few friends) next week for some actual tunnel exploration.

The rope ladder plan fell-through, but with 2 other people there I can manage with a single rope.

I think this isn't Teh Spectre, just the alien/parasite/ghost that took over his life.

Time to purge the tunnel guys.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree with the suggestion to use a fire-escape ladder. I'm pretty sure you can buy them at any store ending in "-Mart", or any home/hardware store. They are made of metal and (i believe) nylon rope, and are pretty heavy-duty.

jibjib on
  • Options
    MystilasMystilas Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Got into the water treatment plant last night. Just had to rip at the double door insanely hard, and the one door slipped from the other. Turns out someone had used the main room in it to store some kennels and what not. I'm not sure if they have been using it recently or if it was older. And no, the room doesn't have lights on, the flash on my camera is just so ridiculously bright.
    bag001hp2.th.jpg

bag002jc4.th.jpg
    Some interesting gadgets

bag003ho4.th.jpg

bag004gu8.th.jpg
    This leads downstairs, to the (probably) more interesting aspects of this building. However, due to issues regarding time we have decided to check that out another night.

bag006xe4.th.jpg
    Me. Red eye ftw.

bag007hg4.th.jpg

bag009aj8.th.jpg

bag010tp4.th.jpg

bag011wk8.th.jpg

bag012ui5.th.jpg
    View of the whole main room and my friend to the right.

Yeah that's about it until we go back some other night.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is a hobby I could get into. That UER website is cool as it has several location in my area listed as worth checking out, but I advise anyone to watch out on those forums. They are ridiculously elitist and many of them are straight up assholes.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Mystilas wrote: »
    Got into the water treatment plant last night. Just had to rip at the double door insanely hard, and the one door slipped from the other. Turns out someone had used the main room in it to store some kennels and what not. I'm not sure if they have been using it recently or if it was older. And no, the room doesn't have lights on, the flash on my camera is just so ridiculously bright.

Browned, for stupid shit. Don't break doors down. It will just let vandals in to wreck the place. Leave only footprints, take only memories.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Phil G. wrote: »

Browned, for stupid shit. Don't break doors down. It will just let vandals in to wreck the place. Leave only footprints, take only memories.

Rather moot point isn't it? If all he had to do is pull hard what is stopping any vandals?

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

If any "vandals" wanted to go in there, they would have got in already. And when we left, the doors were closed the exact same way we found them when we came there, so no harm done.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shogun wrote: »

Rather moot point isn't it? If all he had to do is pull hard what is stopping any vandals?

Well an open door is certainly a lot easier than a locked one wouldn't you say? I'd rather them not be able to get in easily so they can fuck around.

I really have an anti-vandal thing because a couple of my favourite places have been burnt to the ground by vandals. Just recently, actually, Alma College burned down. Story here.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sounds like the door was just old and wedged in there funny. Not broken.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, don't break doors open.

That is the kind of shit that will get this thread locked.

I didn't break anything, you probably don't understand how I got the doors open, I'll try to explain again.

There was a double door in which the one on the right hand side had its bolt through the left one. Both of them were loose, so I pulled on the right one and the bolt slipped out of the left one. When I left, I had them both at 45 degree angles towards each other, so I was able to put the bolt of the right one in the left one's hole. Then I pushed them back together at the same time and it was literally exactly how it was before. I did not break anything.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh! Okay, that is alright. When I heard "rip at the double door insanely hard" I thought you literally ripped the door out of its hinges.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, sorry for the confusion.

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    When I was in Dubrovnik (Croatia), I hiked up the hill behind the town to check out an old fort. It had obviously seen better days, it was used in the war, and it was sobering and eerie experience wandering through the old corridors and rooms. It was recommended that you didn't stray far from the paths around it because of land mines. The image quality is a bit crap as it was a cellphone. I love urban exploration and am keen to do more of it. Good luck in the tunnel TehSpectre...
    dubrovniksrdfortress2wg0.jpg

dubrovniksrdfortress5ho1.jpg

dubrovniksrdfortress7sb9.jpg

dubrovniksrdfortress13zr9.jpg

dubrovniksrdfortress3id4.jpg

virgilsamms on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    <3Dubrovnik<3

TL DR on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, I just found out that I have a photo of the old abandoned battery factory in Farmer's Branch, Tx. I really wish I had more because there was a load of these cool rooms in the back and labs scattered around the place. It was pretty dope.
    warehousehw2.png

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whoa. That's like some Fight Club shit right there.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should see it at night. There was this one time when a friend and I decided to spend the whole night there so we stocked up on wood and smores supplies. Unfortunately the wood was to thick to burn without proper kindling which we didn't have so we tried to improvise with cardboard. After sitting in cardboard smoke for 4 hours and burning some boards that we had to scrap insulation off of we both started getting really naseous and my throat started swelling up. Kinda cut the whole bucket list attempt short.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, I assume most everyone here is familiar with that... I don't know what to call it, exactly... "buzz?" that one gets from being somewhere that they're "not supposed to be?" There's no place to really explore in the area I live in, though I plan on taking up a friend's invitation the next time I can make it up to the Bay Area.

The closest I've gotten in recent memory is going to drop off some school paperwork at a building that was supposed to have a drop box for it. There was no box, and nobody was there. I couldn't come back the next day, so I walked around the building and found that I could open a door in the back that didn't have a handle on the outside, but was unlocked. I walked in, loudly calling out that I was just coming in to drop something off just in case anyone was around. Anyway, I found the right door to slide it under with a note, but it was an odd feeling in my brain, walking around where people weren't supposed to be at that time on a weekend. I don't know if it's a tiny bit of adrenaline ready to fuel a flight/fight response in case some beast comes leaping out of the shadows, but I imagine it must be more pronounced in the areas like you guys check out.

I'd never actually break in to anybody's house, but I often notice that urge to see if there really are bedrooms and bathrooms and kitchens and people going about lives that don't intersect mine - like if I could be intangible and invisible I'd walk into all these places (and no, I wouldn't actually try to invade their privacy any more than that - I have no urge to sneak a look at what people are writing or anything like that IRL) just to see what it's like.

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    zacharyzachary Creative Developer Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Minneapolis has a very rich Urban Exploration scene because of the milling history here. The city is old, and we've got fairly elaborate tunnel systems for storm and sanitary sewers (which cross over and connect to the Mississippi), plus we have the head and tail races from the old mills.

If you want to read some great stories and see some cool photos, I suggest starting with Action Squad.

zachary on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    zachary wrote: »
    Minneapolis has a very rich Urban Exploration scene because of the milling history here. The city is old, and we've got fairly elaborate tunnel systems for storm and sanitary sewers (which cross over and connect to the Mississippi), plus we have the head and tail races from the old mills.

If you want to read some great stories and see some cool photos, I suggest starting with Action Squad.

Those stories are pretty cool and well written, but I'm compelled to point out that they are just a bit more reckless than they should be, and some of the sites they explored were not completely abandoned. A fun read, none the less.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    S]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, I almost forgot my favorite picture I took while out there!

Trains043.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Awesome post, TS.

I remember spending whole summers just walking the train tracks around my town. Always meant to hop a train and see where I ended up or just walk until I had to call for a ride home.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ITT Greenshirt Dude lures TehSpectre into the woods and eats him.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, It was weird how he kept disappearing.

He had nowhere to go.

Except into the woods, slightly out of view, so that he may stare at you while cutting himself and masturbating.

TL DR on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, It was weird how he kept disappearing.

He had nowhere to go.

Except into the forest, right? I mean, it's not like a video game where it just serves as a border and you can't go past the tree-line... I hope.

I think Green-Shirt Dude already killed TehSpectre and is posing as him to lure more of us out to the train tracks.

I vote for GSD as the new "Mothman" of urban legends... are there any UE ULs yet?

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ]

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's this large rural trucking business area a fifteen minute bike from my house, and within it behind a large complex is this nice forest with a few trails for... motorcycles, I guess? Parts of it aren't really wide enough for anything else. Never met anyone back there, thankfully.

At one point within this normal forest, the trail just opens up to this massive live oak tree... like a trunk ten feet in diameter, or something like that. The branches spread out in all directions overhead filling the size of a medium house and it was just magnificent, and the motorcycle trail went right around it. Nothing else even similar to it as far as I can tell in the entire forest. There were some pikes in the tree so you could climb up the trunk for a bit.

Recently the entire stretch of forest has been fenced off, hope the tree will be okay. Though considering the kind of development all around it, it doesn't seem likely it'll last forever.

Edit: Here is the location, I think it may be that circular smudge the map is centered on. And speaking of that general area, the small hills surrounding that nearby puddle made for some great dirt biking.

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Someone else needs to get some pictures goin! I can't keep this thread afloat by myself. :P

Yeah I'm heading back to the water treatment plant tomorrow and exploring the downstairs area, so I will get some pics up of that. And don't worry, I still won't break anything. :P

Mystilas on
    gorillazsigcopy1dw0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shit, I can't remember the location of that damn gas station thing. It wasn't too far from Cochrane, I know it. It is killing me, there was something active next to it but looked interesting.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I demand more satisfaction!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, pictures... these are not terrible interesting, they are from last spring when i decided to go explore an abandoned mine together with a friend. This mine is located close to where I grew up and has been out of operation for a long time. Back in the day they used to quarry quarts and feldspar for porcelin manufacture there. Later on they used if for oil storage, but from what I've read they have sanitized it since then. We had this vague idea that we would be able to go inside the mine, but... well, see for youselves.

treefencedk7.th.jpg

It was early spring when we went to the mine, it is located in an area with lots of houses these days. It is located not far from a school, and I would be surprised if the kids there do not see it as a nice place to play around. In the picture above you can see an old tree leaning over the fence surrounding the mine, not exactly hard to get in...

holeai7.th.jpg

Not hard at all actually, the fence was in such dis-repair that there were large holes in it as you can see above.

ventco5.th.jpg

We went through the fence on the backside of the installation, since we did not know how popular it would be if anyone saw us. The first thing we came across was this small house-like structure. It is probably an air-vent for the mine. There were doors on all these vents, but they were barred and locked with padlocks. We did not bring any climbing gear for rapelling so it was just as good.

skrexr0.th.jpg

I think is where tha main mining operation above ground took place. There were concrete remains all over the place, but almost all structures had been torn down long ago.

housemz5.th.jpg

This slightly larger concrete house probably housed some machinery for ventilation of the mine. You can see a small hole in the wall...

holehoo8.th.jpg

And this is the view through the hole... very mysterious.

vent2wd7.th.jpg

More ventilation shafts and concrete. You could tell that the local kids had been there for a long time with all the graffiti.

entryve8.th.jpg

And finally the main mine entrance. This was situated in clear sight from a public road with quite a bit of traffic, so we did not stay long. The big doors were securely locked, but the small door was only blocked by the large boulder in front of it.

I did some looking around on the net, and apparently there are several abandoned mines in this area. Most are flooded, but a few are still dry and possible to get into, including the one above. Would be fun to return some day and actually go inside....

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    :^:

But mines are notoriously bad for UE.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    :^:

But mines are notoriously bad for UE.

Yeah they tend to collapse and cell phones don't work.

Also Morlocks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.