As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It has been proven: bikinis make men dumb.

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, there IS a statue of limitations for saying ridiculously inappropriate and insensitive things?
    Not necessarily, but it is stupid to discredit an argument by attempting to discredit the person making it.

Bama on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. In general, going for "I win" regardless of method isn't conductive to having a good debate. Ideally you should try to see what the other side is trying to say and argue against that, rather than latch on to every semantic slip, poorly worded argument and, ultimately, opportunity for ad hom. Easier said than done, I know, and sometimes the folks at D&D are awesome at this and sometimes really not. I've been lurking here for a long time before I became more active though, and it seems to me the quality of discussion keeps getting way better.

edit: and I realize I just sounded sickeningly holier-than-thou. Ew. But still.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    zeeny wrote: »
    edit2: I butchered the fucking quote twice.

You should stop looking at boobs while posting.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »
    edit2: I butchered the fucking quote twice.

You should stop looking at boobs while posting.
    You know I've been waiting for a good chance to make this joke.

Bama on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Finally, an explanation for thousands of years of female dominated societies.

Speaker on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    Stealth-dominated.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    *waves hand*

Nothing to see here, move along...

Medopine on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stealth-dominated.

prescott_burkha.jpg

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    *waves boobs*

Nothing to see here, move along...
    You were doin' in wrong.

Bama on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stealth-dominated.

prescott_burkha.jpg

Ninjas!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    BeanPasteBeanPaste Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno if this has been brought up yet. But has anyone considered perhaps that maybe men evolved this way to help them pass on their DNA? You probably are more likely to have sex if that's the only thing on your mind and you tunnel vision on it. Persistence and all.
    It doesn't make sense to me why women would evolve to take advantage of this... or whatever.

I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts, anyone understand what I'm getting at?

BeanPaste on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BeanPaste wrote: »
    I dunno if this has been brought up yet. But has anyone considered perhaps that maybe men evolved this way to help them pass on their DNA? You probably are more likely to have sex if that's the only thing on your mind and you tunnel vision on it. Persistence and all.
    It doesn't make sense to me why women would evolve to take advantage of this... or whatever.

I'm having trouble expressing my thoughts, anyone understand what I'm getting at?
    Basically the idea that men become time-impatient at the notion that they have the opportunity to have sex?

This would really be hardly surprising. Though it's also not really what the study shows - it actually shows that sex along with other drives makes people time impatient if satiation is dangled in front of them but not given.

I think the real problem I'm having is the lack of an attempt to find the same phenomenon in women - but again, it's a marketing study, no one wants to prove anything too grand in doing that (alternatively, it's just easier to write a paper with a positive result).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, there IS a statue of limitations for saying ridiculously inappropriate and insensitive things?
    As someone who dislikes ege for a myriad of things even I can do better than that. Saying something stupid a year or two ago doesn't invalidate his current views.

Quid on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Stealth-dominated.

prescott_burkha.jpg

Ninjas!

If you like that, try reading The Tale of Kamar al Zaman in 1001 Nights. She dresses up as her husband and rules a sultanate for years.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    As someone who dislikes ege for a myriad of things even I can do better than that. Saying something stupid a year or two ago doesn't invalidate his current views.

Aw come on, you know you love me.

ege02 on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    ege02 wrote: »
    Well I am in no way qualified to interpret this study. It's interesting to note though that in the study they point out that you get basically the same effects with many other types of stimulus anyway. The reason it doesn't work in women predictably explained by the fact that women are generally known not to respond to visual sexual stimulus (swap it with something more general - like the smell of chocolate for example, and you get the same effect).

It's actually reasonably written as far as I can tell, so in fact my ad hom once again proves itself pretty worthless :)

Actually there was a study a while back that revealed that women and men are equally aroused by exposed skin. Like, they get the same amount of pleasure from looking at half-naked men, as men do from looking at women in bikinis.

I don't remember where I saw the study though.

omg really?! How bizaaaaaare! Its almost like women are the same species as men!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Aw come on, you know you love me.

It doesn't help that there is a user with that whole rape-doesn't-hurt exchange in his signature, beautifully animated, even. That's where I first saw it. It inspired me to search for it, so that I may better immerse myself in the hilarity. I didn't find it though.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    God was speaking to Adam...

God: Adam, I have good news and bad news for you.
    Adam: Well, tell me the good news first.
    God: I gave you a brain and a penis.
    Adam: Thats great! What is the bad news??
    God: I only gave you enough blood to use one of them at a time.

=END OF THREAD=

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Article here.

This is actually pretty interesting. Turns out there is a scientific basis for one of the most common stereotypes in modern culture. People often joke about how that beer commercial with hot women in it won't make anyone buy that beer, or having semi-naked women in bikinis to showcase that new concept car won't sell it. But turns out it helps... a lot. Perhaps you should wear a bikini before arguing with your boyfriend? Hmmm....
    excerpt wrote:

In fact, studies have shown that sexy ads don’t really make men remember the product. We’re so lasered in on the sexy stuff, we don’t care what brand of beer it is, or how long it takes the car to go from zero to 60.

So no Ege, I don't think that wearing a bikini in order to obtain attention for any nonsex purpose would be a good idea

Picardathon on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only skimmed so I'm not sure if this was covered, but "sexual manipulation" is widely used in bonobos (close ancestors of chimps). Both sexes do it, to opposite and same sex partners.

There was also a recent study, reported in the NYT, that female chimps call out when they want to attract males for sex, but they're actually subtly manipulating their sexual partners by spreading out their calling times beyond their actual period of fertility. The reason for this is that male chimps will often kill their mating partner's existing children if the kids aren't there's, so by spreading out the mating call the females make the males less certain as to whether or not they are the fathers.

So: lay off of ege. There is precedent for evolved primate behaviors based around taking advantage of sexual impulses.

Qingu on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a precedent for evolved behavior affecting every aspect of life for every animal that has or ever will exist.

ege just picked a study that doesn't relate to much of anything sexual besides the word "bikini" being in the title.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thread so misleading. No picture, only words. Must quit now.

needOptic on
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't read many posts other than the OP but these "tests" seem ridiculous to me.

How can you say aroused men would rather get instant gratification rather than more payout over time? I think it's more of a personality issue than male/female/arousal. How may of the people that win the lottery actually take the payout? I'd say less than 10% EASY. I think our nature today is to get it and get it now. Not just because I saw some nipples through a bikini, but because I'd rather have my dollar now so I can use it. It just seems like a dumb test to me.

As for the second part it's a stupid loaded test. If you really want to check how aroused men answer questions when they are aroused then don't ask them questions about sex. Of course almost anyone will answer yes to most of those questions. If you really want to see how they think get them aroused and ask them about helping a homeless guy get some food or changing the tire on an old ladies car for her. "Hey I can see you want to have sex, so would you do it right now if you could with a man and a woman in a threesome?" "Der.... yeah!"

Just seems stupid to me. And who really cares what a man thinks when he's aroused. I'll tell you right now what he thinks. He needs to get some or otherwise "relieve" himself however he can. Rocket science this ain't.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    I only skimmed so I'm not sure if this was covered, but "sexual manipulation" is widely used in bonobos (close ancestors of chimps). Both sexes do it, to opposite and same sex partners.

There was also a recent study, reported in the NYT, that female chimps call out when they want to attract males for sex, but they're actually subtly manipulating their sexual partners by spreading out their calling times beyond their actual period of fertility. The reason for this is that male chimps will often kill their mating partner's existing children if the kids aren't there's, so by spreading out the mating call the females make the males less certain as to whether or not they are the fathers.

So: lay off of ege. There is precedent for evolved primate behaviors based around taking advantage of sexual impulses.

I think we need some kind of a definition for what sexual manipulation is, for the purposes of this thread, because what you describe doesn't sound at all like what I thought Ege meant.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

The problem isn't that we don't think sexual manipulation doesn't exist. The problem is that this study does fuck all to prove it. They never put in a non sex related control nor even seemed to consider whether or not other enjoyable activities would have the same effect.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought this whole thread was basically saying "Ok, the test is dumb, let's discuss this other thing."

Bama on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Where IS the study.

Cos I can't find the linked study or the reference. Granted it's late at night but I'd like to see the studies methods and procedure.

If the source isn't linked to, this article is analogous to a random post on the internet.

edit: Nevermind I found the title. Just wasn't looking hard enough, I skimmed the intro.

I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/eng/tew/academic/mo/pdf_publicaties/marketing/MO_0704.pdf

Having a look at it.

Btw ege, it is appropriate to read the study you are citing, because rest assured I will:

It is appropriate to acknowledge the limitations of the present study. First, our samples
    were composed of young male students, which poses problems for generalization across
    populations. Indeed, prior research with female participants failed to find similar effects (Wilson
    and Daly 2004).

I can't be fucked finding that reference too though, I need to get back to study. You do it ege.

In any case, the study discusses the mood factor: previous studies showed no effect of mood. Again, the references are in there. I was planning to have a look at them myself but again, back to study.

Most of the objections I had were discussed as limitations of the study.

My only real problem is they had no group experiencing non sexual picture that were still known to produce happy mood. They just did a covariate adjustment for the affects of mood. Pretty lazy.

The conclusions he makes, and the conclusions the reporter makes are like two different worlds. The reporter is a newsflash happy idiot. Other than a couple of logic leaps here and there, the actual experimenter at least tried to account for factors, even if I disagree with how he did it. So he's not that bad.

Might is a very different word from "does". Might does NOT imply causation.

In the end though, Ege read the bloody studies you cite you twit. I found this on google in about five seconds.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    dgs095dgs095 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It doesn't take much of a study to convince me men will do things they wouldn't normally do when they are turned on.

Regarding women evolving to be manipulative, there answer is no (no evidence here at least) BUT:

women did evolve to be good looking

women did evolve to become intellegent (same as men and arguably intertwined)

maybe the more intelligent ones used their charms more effectively, thus the goodlooking&intelligent genes gain advantage....with SEXY results! :P

dgs095 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In the end though, Ege read the bloody studies you cite you twit. I found this on google in about five seconds.

And you, my friend, should read the whole thread, because everything you said I have addressed.

ege02 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not reading a thread before I read the study. That is ass backwards.

Telling you to read the study is something that obviously needs to be repeated anyway.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Well I am in no way qualified to interpret this study. It's interesting to note though that in the study they point out that you get basically the same effects with many other types of stimulus anyway. The reason it doesn't work in women predictably explained by the fact that women are generally known not to respond to visual sexual stimulus (swap it with something more general - like the smell of chocolate for example, and you get the same effect).

It's actually reasonably written as far as I can tell, so in fact my ad hom once again proves itself pretty worthless :)

Actually there was a study a while back that revealed that women and men are equally aroused by exposed skin. Like, they get the same amount of pleasure from looking at half-naked men, as men do from looking at women in bikinis.

omg really?! How bizaaaaaare! Its almost like women are the same species as men!

I don't know what you're implying with that, because there are many, many studies that show a great amount of difference in how men and women react to certain stimuli and behave in certain situations.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm not reading a thread before I read the study. That is ass backwards.

Telling you to read the study is something that obviously needs to be repeated anyway.

Yes, but you need to read the thread before posting.

Ideally.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sure. I'll grant that.

Ege, read the studies before you post a thread. Can we call a tie and stop now.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

=END OF THREAD=

Look, is the blood thing even true? I keep hearing it everywhere spoken as if it is fact. I thought it was just an expression. Does the human body really hold so little blood that arousal will make you lightheaded? My penis is not big enough to do that.

Oh my god, is it just me?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Listen, none of us said anything because we didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Also, some of us were unconscious.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Listen, none of us said anything because we didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Also, some of us were unconscious.

I knew it! She said it wasn't true. She lied.

That's it, the wedding is off.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Oh man, guys, I was just over at the well getting a drink and that shit tastes funny.
    That's not a well. It's a urinal. This is why can't take you to nice places.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I will henceforth refer to it as the "poisoning the urinal" fallacy.

Bama on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

=END OF THREAD=

Look, is the blood thing even true? I keep hearing it everywhere spoken as if it is fact. I thought it was just an expression. Does the human body really hold so little blood that arousal will make you lightheaded? My penis is not big enough to do that.

I don't know some guy earlier talked about some chick smiled at him and he passed out like some lame anime boy so maybe it's true.

Or maybe he's anemic
    that probably ISN'T a symptom of anemia

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

I don't know what you're implying with that, because there are many, many studies that show a great amount of difference in how men and women react to certain stimuli and behave in certain situations.

No, you're yet again posting as if you're amazed that women don't need to be bribed with emotional stroking or shiny things to enjoy men. I don't know why you do this. Its bewildering.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg