As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Football (Soccer) Thread: I hollerd lordy lordy have mercy on me!

• Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd bet my life savings on them going down now.

But I have a feeling I might need my life savings in the next few months. Someone else do it so I can live vicariously.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I did the premier league one and I found all the transfers annoying. But someone come up with something and we're sheep, we'll play along.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Id be down for a prem fantasy league. I'm sure i wont do for shit but will keep me interested during the first half of the season. Beaing a huge college football and NFL fan the epl kind comes at the worst time for sports, my tiny brain can only watch so much :D I think it wouldn't be so bad if College football wasn't on tv alll day sun...err saturday:D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited July 2008
    The problem with the Prem game is this:

1) Create Team full Of Superstars:
    2) Superstars get injured/loaned out to CC teams.
    3) Some guy who selected Ronaldo as his captain wins.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    premierleague.com fantasy
    join code: 127455-31740

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2008
    LotP, you think we should do an A-League one?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Evil. Make poast to invite all to your arena of death. I'm in but it would be nice to get 20 and that requires some shenanigans.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm in. Looks like we need more players. I picked Lampard just to be a prick. I hope they let me switch out when the fat dick moves to Italy and ceases to have any impact on football--in a kind or reverse Shevchenko maneuver.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    We've got like a month before the first deadline yeah?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    We've got like a month before the first deadline yeah?

You fool.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm up for an A-League one.

Does one exist?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think you ca go trhough espn.com but could be wrong as i am known to be more often then not. Ok, i set up , im sure this isn't going to g well for me just picked some people who's names i recognized :D and i said to hell with ronaldo since you iknow he might be playing for Madrid.

Also Quick question how do i see your guys team ? im curious as to how my picks stack up :D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm up for an A-League one.

Does one exist?
    foxsports runs one, you can't register yet though.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brad Guzan of Chivas USA to Aston Villa.

Feels good to have met him before his departure.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    premierleague.com fantasy
    join code: 127455-31740

<3 Bob!

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm into the fantasy league. Rooney and Torres up front, fuck yeah!

Tav on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brad Guzan of Chivas USA to Aston Villa.

Feels good to have met him before his departure.

From: http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1343057,00.html
    Keeper Deal Agreed

Villa have agreed a fee with American side Chivas USA for goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

The 24-year-old USA international will complete his move once he obtains a work permit.

Guzan almost joined Villa in January but was unable to obtain a work permit.

Finally! I hope he gets to debut soon.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also if Ronald goes, who will replace him? Pig Sticker/Swien Sticker/Schweinstieger?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm just posting because I seem to be in some statistically challenging situation where I keep getting BOTP. If this post is BOTP I will become religious. For now, I say to hell with Lampard but please please please keep Drogba or grab a badass striker and play 442.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    i believe i picked up Drogba :D, i tried to go for some very un orthadox players . Just not a big fan of going for the obvious picks like Ronaldo..who as we knwo right now, doesn't want to play for ManU anymore anyways.

Draeven on

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also if Ronald goes, who will replace him? Pig Sticker/Swien Sticker/Schweinstieger?

Schweinsteiger does mean pig mounter, if you'd like to loosely translate it (and I sure would like to). So, pigfucker it is.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    i believe i picked up Drogba :D, i tried to go for some very un orthadox players . Just not a big fan of going for the obvious picks like Ronaldo..who as we knwo right now, doesn't want to play for ManU anymore anyways.

I wonder if Drogba will play for Chelsea? Lampard looks to hit the road and I can't even imagine Inter paying him what Chelsea would. I figure he must just want to get the hell out.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Inter do have a fair bit of money. I think it's more a matter of him wanting to play for Mourinho though.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm just posting because I seem to be in some statistically challenging situation where I keep getting BOTP. If this post is BOTP I will become religious. For now, I say to hell with Lampard but please please please keep Drogba or grab a badass striker and play 442.

What the fuck. I wasn't paying attention but geeze. I was rolling cats eyes yesterday with abandon.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Inter do have a fair bit of money. I think it's more a matter of him wanting to play for Mourinho though.

They ain't poor but word is (whatever that's worth) Chelsea was offering 150K pounds which is somewhere around 250K euros. I think if Lampard goes he's going for Jose. Which is a pretty big hi5 for Jose.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They ain't poor but word is (whatever that's worth) Chelsea was offering 150K pounds which is somewhere around 250K euros. I think if Lampard goes he's going for Jose. Which is a pretty big hi5 for Jose.

From everything I've seen so far, it's Chelsea is offering 140k a/week 4years, but Lamps (or more likely his agent) wants 150k a/week 5 years. Doesn't seem like a huge difference, but remember that Lamps is 30yrs old and his style of play is likely to drop off in the next 3-4years.

Also about everyone's favourite no.7
    link
    Cristiano Ronaldo will definitely be out of action for at least three months, the Portuguese national team physiotherapist has said.

Edit : wrong link

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think Lampard has 2 years left in him so I can understand not wanting to buy in to a 5 year plan. I think Drogba will be good for 4 (he just looks more fit--but I admit that isn't much to go on).

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Sepp Blatter is such a cunt. Footballers are "slaves"? Bullshit. Anyone who listens to him should be constantly reminded that his is the man who wanted to enforce a rule forcing women players to wear tighter shorts.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ...and we'd be against that why?

He is pretty much insane, though.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ...and we'd be against that why?

He is pretty much insane, though.

I'd rather go to a match where the crowd is wearing jerseys rather then trenchcoats :P

Tav on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Sepp Blatter is such a cunt. Footballers are "slaves"? Bullshit. Anyone who listens to him should be constantly reminded that his is the man who wanted to enforce a rule forcing women players to wear tighter shorts.

Nobody listens to Sepp, nobody ever did, even when he was just some provincial dude in Switzerland with a ridiculous accent.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    so is drogba, going to play in the epl this year ?

Draeven on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    so is drogba going to play in the epl this year ?

I doubt it.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As an American I always followed the US team, and always tried to like the MLS but the few international games I watched spoiled me, and thus I had a hard time following the MLS. So last fall I met a German exchange student who only talked football, and since I had been loosely following the EPL and watched any international contest I could watch I knew a thing or two. So basically I got really into Football recently and found a place in my town where I can watch EPL matches and drink beer, so basically this will be my first full EPL season. Something I also found out while watching an EPL game with my father one faithful night was that my English relatives always drink from cups with the Hotspurs logo. So using logical deduction I figured I’m ethnically a Spurs fan. Now I have a team as well, and we won the Carling Cup last year which is great…

Ok now that I got my introduction out of the way, I’ve been hearing that Keane might be on his way to Man U. Is there any truth to this? It seems strange to get rid of a big strength of the team last year, which was the combination of Keane and Berbatov. SO anyone know what’s going on with that situation?

Also preseason started, 8-0 over Tavernes, alright!

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1) Christiano out for a while should be interesting.

2) Drogba not playing in the EPL would be sweet.

3) Deco playing in the EPL should be cool.

4) Schweinsteiger playing in the EPL would also be awesome.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is the deal for Deco involve sending everybody's' favourite bad boy Brazilian striker to Chelsea? That could be interesting.

As for Keane to Spurs. Spurs were looking to offload The 'Tov, and as pointed out, they make a great combination. Maybe they will by Aguero, assuming that it isn't Manchester United that are after him... I don't know about what Spurs think they are doing, yes, they're recruited some serious talent, but they need to retain some semblance of the team from last year. And what made spurs work was the two up front.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is the deal for Deco involve sending everybody's' favourite bad boy Brazilian striker to Chelsea? That could be interesting.

As for Keane to Spurs. Spurs were looking to offload The 'Tov, and as pointed out, they make a great combination. Maybe they will by Aguero, assuming that it isn't Manchester United that are after him... I don't know about what Spurs think they are doing, yes, they're recruited some serious talent, but they need to retain some semblance of the team from last year. And what made spurs work was the two up front.

Ah I see, so management is pretty much being stupid. Good to know. I guess it might be a long season for me I guess. I hope that the Modrić signing works out, anyone see him in the Euro cup, I never got to watch the Croatians play.

Edited: for me being dumb.

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Modric is Croatian

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Modric is Croatian

Umm yeah you are right, my bad.:oops:

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    He looks a good player, from what I've seen. Just about the only guy on form for the Croats in the Euros (well, him and Olic).

Of the two new natural playmakers coming into the premiership this year, I'd say he's the better. For all Deco's experience and perhaps greater natural ability, Modric's workrate makes him the more exciting prospect.

Whereas Deco can make things happen up front, Modric will run the whole game for you. He's a lot like Fabregas to be honest, small but hungry, and with surprising strength in the tackle.

I predict very good things for Spurs this season.

Sunday_Assassin on