Options

Separating Art from the Artist

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
4869172.jpg

This is Orson Scott Card. He is a homophobic douchebag.

enders-game.gif

This is Ender's Game, a book by Orson Scott Card. I'm told it's quite excellent.

A lot of people argue that it is impossible to completely separate an artist's work from the artist themselves. Others argue that art can be appreciated in a vacuum, regardless of the artist's extra-curricular antics/opinions. What say you, D&D; is it possible to appreciate the genius of a painting/book/movie knowing that the person who created it is a gigantic raging twat, or is it all just fruit of the poisonous tree?

Hacksaw on

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first option.

Are we done here?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My contribution, from the other thread:
    Drez wrote: »
    Yeah, he's an asshole. Ender's Game is brilliant, regardless.

Harlan Ellison is an asshole too and his stuff is decent.

I'm an asshole and everything I do is amazing.

Sometimes the person behind the curtain doesn't matter.

normally I would agree with you but I feel only rage towards him after reading this

http://archive.salon.com/books/feature/2000/02/03/card/index.html

which was linked in the gay marriage thread

Yeah, he's a reprehensible fucking idiot.

But, and this is something I learned a long time ago, you really have to separate the author from the work. If Hitler had written the Harry Potter series, I would still have enjoyed them and I would still despise Hitler for the many atrocities he committed.

I don't understand why everything is a zero-sum game. People can't love and hate someone at the same time, or they choose not to. I love Ender's Game. And I love Card for having written it. And I hate him for his other attitudes. He is many things to me, but really he is nothing to me. He's not in my family so I don't have to love or hate the whole guy in one package. He's not a friend I have to judge or associate myself with. He's a guy that wrote a brilliant novel. And he's also a guy that's a complete asshole. It doesn't matter that it's the same guy because my relationship with him as the author of Ender's Game is a different relationship than the one I have with him as a homophobic fuckface. The second relationship could just as easily be with someone else.

When it comes to the book he wrote, I just don't give a shit that he's a homophobe. When it comes to the sum-total of who Orson Scott Card is then, yes, of course I care. When when I'm reading Ender's Game, I don't care who the sum total of Orson Scott Card is. When I'm reading a book, the author could be living, dead, the best person in the world, or Hitler and it doesn't matter to me at all.

And why should it? Why should I deprive myself of a good piece of art just because the artist is an insufferable twat? Why should I avoid Tom Cruise movies because he's a Scientologist (except for the obvious economic ones)? Why should I dislike Johnny Depp just because he's decided to have enough of America and has decided to become French or whatever? What does this matter? Actors are paid to lie to us. That's their job: Lying. Pretending to be someone else. Divorcing who they are from who they pretend to be. That's their job. I simply do not comprehend people that avoid movies with actors that are Scientologists or whatever for the same reason I don't understand why people give a shit about a book's author. It doesn't matter. The book matters, the film matters, and your opinion of either should be completely removed from the author.

Unless he's killing kittens to make the movie or something.

The first option.

Are we done here?

No, because the first option is dumb.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Some of Roman Polanski's work make up some of my favorite movies (Chinatown). Polanski himself is very much a douchebag, basically in hiding in Europe for sodomizing a 13-year old girl after drugging her up. It didn't stop me from enjoying The Pianist.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'm very much in the second camp. I'm pretty adamant about the author's prejudices, opinions, or even intentions, having little to do with the actual work. I made my english teacher's lives hell by always insisting that just because the author said later that something in a book meant something, that wasn't a good enough justification.

If I say that a piece of art is awesome, I'm not saying that the creator is awesome, just the physical object they created.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Clarification; yes it is possible to appreciate the genius of a painting/book/movie knowing that the person who created it is a gigantic raging twat.

See I didn't realise they came in two different orders.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »
    Some of Roman Polanski's work make up some of my favorite movies (Chinatown). Polanski himself is very much a douchebag, basically in hiding in Europe for sodomizing a 13-year old girl after drugging her up. It didn't stop me from enjoying The Pianist.
    I didn't enjoy The Pianist because it was boring and predictable, and because Adrian Brody stole Daniel Day Lewis's Oscar.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I'm very much in the second camp. I'm pretty adamant about the author's prejudices, opinions, or even intentions, having little to do with the actual work. I made my english teacher's lives hell by always insisting that just because the author said later that something in a book meant something, that wasn't a good enough justification.

If I say that a piece of art is awesome, I'm not saying that the creator is awesome, just the physical object they created.

I think the best possible argument for this is Paradise Lost, because it becomes so much cooler if you consider Satan to be the good guy.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Say I listen to a random song on Pandora or something—I can enjoy or dislike the track without knowing anything about the persons involved in its production.

Awareness of context gives me a fuller understanding of what I encounter, but it’s not necessary.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

normally I would agree with you but I feel only rage towards him after reading this

I find the interviewer more annoying than Card. Card has some horribly fucked up opinions, but the interviewer is just a fucking lowly coward who didn't have the guts to say all those things to Card's face, and instead typed them up neatly and published them in a safe environment knowing Card wouldn't be allowed to respond. If she was as disgusted by Card as she claims - and don't get me wrong, she has every right to be - then she would have spoken out.

It's also hilarious how she hides her cowardice behind the excuse of journalism when she says journalists are supposed to hide their opinions. Lol, fucking tool.

Re: thread. Yeah, I think art should be separated from artist. I hate Britney Spears but she has a few catchy songs.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a copy of Ender's Game that I can't read because I'm afraid of liking it. I'm just glad I didn't buy it. I keep reading other books to put it off. I'm in the middle of Ishmael for, like, the umpteenth fucking time, and I don't even like it that much.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Ender's Game is a fantastic book.

There. Ege thinks it's great. Another reason to not read it.

ege02 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure I could appreciate a work of art if I had liked it before I found out the author is a reprehensible douche, but if I found this out about the author before I had experienced any of their work, I would not be terribly inclined to support such artist and would probably avoid their works.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But fucking everybody says it's good.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I look at it the same way as I do authorial intent: Don't mean a damn thing.

An author's views and opinions may show up in their work. They often don't. I'm more than willing to treat any text as detached and without baggage.

On the other hand, I have no problem with avoiding someone's work if I just don't want to give my money to an asshole. In that case I can buy things used or borrow them or whatever.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have a copy of Ender's Game that I can't read because I'm afraid of liking it. I'm just glad I didn't buy it. I keep reading other books to put it off. I'm in the middle of Ishmael for, like, the umpteenth fucking time, and I don't even like it that much.
    Okay, say you like the book. What happens then?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    stilist wrote: »

Trust me, I know, absolutely nothing. But I don't like stupid Mormon assholes.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Meh, a lot of creative people are douchebags. ‘Course a lot of non-creative people are douchebags too, they’re just not rewarded as much.

stilist on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Meh, a lot of creative people are douchebags.
    Yeah. As someone who works closely with creative people (and who likes to fancy himself a creative person), I feel I can speak with authority when I say that most creative people are douchebags. There are exceptions to this of course, but it's generally the rule.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But is their douchebaggery associated with Mormonism and hate? I don't really mind if somebody's just generally conceited or anti-social or whatever.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wait til he's dead then read it. It's an alright book. Not fantastic, but good.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can I... can I kill him then read it?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You are the worst hippie.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's not that good.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well at the very least you'll have the time to read it afterwards.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Really, I just want him to shut the hell up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I know someons a douche, I find it harder to enjoy their work. So I try to avoid finding out anything about the personal lives of authors, actors, directors, whatever.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

This has been pointed out as silly. Card writes some good fiction, I really think he's an excellent short story author. He has offensive as fuck views, but most really good artists are socially dysfunctional in one way or the other.
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    If I know someons a douche, I find it harder to enjoy their work. So I try to avoid finding out anything about the personal lives of authors, actors, directors, whatever.

I find this akin to a child who covers their ears and yells so they won't hear it's bedtime.

Artists are people. Most people, to greater or lesser degrees, are fucking assholes. As an adult I have come to terms with this even if it displeases me. If I want to read, watch or listen to anything I pretty much have to accept this fact and move on. Without becoming socially dysfunctional I have to deal with assholes every time I leave my house. I could stay inside but then I'd just be an asshole by himself.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

His attitude towards gays is pretty reprehensible, but other than that I found more dislikes toward the journalist than Card's attitude.

I dislike far left opinions just as much as far right, and he seemed to be overanalyzing far too much of Card's opinions.
    I prefer to get my digs in when I write the piece up, like this. It's a way of fighting back without ever having to face my tormentor head-on.
    Ugh.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008

This has been pointed out as silly. Card writes some good fiction, I really think he's an excellent short story author. He has offensive as fuck views, but most really good artists are socially dysfunctional in one way or the other.

I don't really care if it's silly or not. It doesn't have to be logical, it's just my preference. I don't want to praise a fucking dumbshit fundie asshole.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I don't really care if it's silly or not. It doesn't have to be logical, it's just my preference. I don't want to praise a fucking dumbshit fundie asshole.
    But you've already got the book.
    As far as anyone is concerned, you've already praised him by buying the book.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This issue is a matter of personal perspective. If you hate his attitude and have no problem disregarding that when you buy the book, then you're not supporting his intolerant views.

The Hell with what anyone else believes.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2008

It just strikes me as odd. Like bitching that a tasty pie was baked by a homosexual. The baker's sexuality has no impact on the quality of the pie.

You can do as makes you happy and certainly nobody is perfectly logical on all things. So of course you're free to keep your irrational position with regard to Card's irrational positions. Yours is much easier to overlook.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There's a pretty awesome Liquor store near my house.

I don't shop there anymore these days, since I found out the owner is a huge Bill O'Reilly fan.

I'm totally not a self-important douche.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I mean if I knew that the profit from some dude's books were going to directly fund the KKK, I wouldn't buy them either. But I wouldn't be against reading or liking the books. That just literally doesn't make any sense to me.

Drez on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I find this akin to a child who covers their ears and yells so they won't hear it's bedtime.

You're a moron, then. Why the fuck should I go out of my way to find out anything about the authors or artists personal lives?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think JohnDoe meant more along the lines of avoiding news reports and/or threads about stupid celebrity behavior if it's somebody who does something he actually likes.

Goatmon on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

since when do you not prefer to be logical?

edit - I agree with mostly all of what drez has said and will continue to say.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I don't go out of my way to find out the lives of authors/artists/actors and whatnot but that's just because I don't care. I don't AVOID it. But I won't go seeking the information, either. Like if someone came up to me and told me that William Gibson is a vegetarian, I would be crushed deep down in the subcockles of my heart but it wouldn't make me like Neuromancer any less. I'd just shrug and get on with my life.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

You're a moron, then. Why the fuck should I go out of my way to find out anything about the authors or artists personal lives?

That's awesome, throw out the insults while mischaracterizing my statements. Do you work for McCain by any chance?

Answer assuming you're not intent on being a raging douche: I didn't say you should go out of your way to find out things about authors. I said I find going out of your way to remain ignorant of these faults as childish. The faults will still exist and you'd still be supporting them except now you don't know what you're supporting. By preserving your ignorance you're just abdicating any responsibility you may have.

I can respect (even if I don't understand) not reading/supporting artists whose views you do not respect. I find sticking your head in the sand immature, ignoring the difficult question because you lack the conviction to make a choice.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why is moron not an infractible insult when, while retarded is?

They've all become synonyms for stupid.

Goatmon on