Options

American Presidency: Still nice

• Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lordy- if I was Obama & I won the presidency, if I ever saw a bill with an earmark for Alaska it'd go down in fucking flames.

Tach on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOTk11gvqDAgD0cY3i4WjI_2YOxwD939VQP00
    Investigator: Palin probe to end before election

By MATT VOLZ – 1 hour ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Alaska lawmaker in charge of the abuse of power investigation of Sarah Palin promises the probe will be finished before the election, after all.

Alaska state Sen. Hollis French said Friday the investigator's report on the governor will be completed by Oct. 10, even though key witnesses won't testify.

None of the people ordered to testify Friday showed up. The McCain campaign, Palin and her allies have been working to delay the investigation until after the election. They say it's become a political fight.

Investigators are seeing whether Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate, improperly fired her public safety commissioner after he wouldn't fire a state trooper who went through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister.
    I wonder what the McCain campaign will do now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Magic

Oh. So you're saying we're winning? ;)

I'm saying there's a 90.65% chance that we're winning. ;)

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So how long until Bush is said to be a liberal republcian? I'm guessing before this election is over.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    http://meganmcardle.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/watch_the_budget.php
    Watch the budget
    18 Sep 2008 03:26 pm

Whatever your opinion of the Bush tax cuts, it is indisputable that they made our tax base more progressive: the rich and very rich now pay a higher percentage of the total tax take than they did before Bush took office. That has dire implications for the budget for the next few years.

Is it at all possible that this is because the rich are making more, and the not-rich are making less? Wouldn't that have the effect of shifting the tax burden?

MKR on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Alaska lawmaker in charge of the abuse of power investigation of Sarah Palin promises the probe will be finished before the election, after all.

Alaska state Sen. Hollis French said Friday the investigator's report on the governor will be completed by Oct. 10, even though key witnesses won't testify.

None of the people ordered to testify Friday showed up. The McCain campaign, Palin and her allies have been working to delay the investigation until after the elecThey say it's become a political fight.

Investigators are seeing whether Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate, improperly fired her public safety commissioner after he wouldn't fire a state trooper who went through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister.

Bitch about the investigator being partisan, unless he exonerates her in which case they will say "told you she was innocent!".

I'm thinking refusing to have anyone testify WON'T actually help them out here.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Qingu wrote: »
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone on the fence should just be shown this quote and simply say "This woman would be a john mccain heartbeat from president"

"Oil and coal? Of course, it's a fungible commodity and they don't flag, you know, the molecules, where it's going and where it's not. But in the sense of the Congress today, they know that there are very, very hungry domestic markets that need that oil first," Palin said. "So, I believe that what Congress is going to do, also, is not to allow the export bans to such a degree that it's Americans that get stuck to holding the bag without the energy source that is produced here, pumped here. It's got to flow into our domestic markets first."

What the hell does this mean?
    Even though oil is a commodity—which means that any oil we dig up from Alaska is going to be indistinguishable, market-wise, from oil we import from Saudi Arabia—Sarah Palin believes that Congress is going to do something to make that not the case.

American Oil gives +3 to SUV MPG.

+3 to hit, +3 to damage, or both?

+3 damage vs coastal environment

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for still knowing all the shit I forgot from my econometrics course, Kakos.

I still remember some of it, but not how to turn a poll result into a hypothesis test without the data.

Trying to get my LSAT teacher to understand the difference between standard deviation and mean standard error was fun, though.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

None of the people ordered to testify Friday showed up. The McCain campaign, Palin and her allies have been working to delay the investigation until after the election. They say it's become a political fight.

With little testimony to go off of and little fact I think their delaying and heming and hawing already doomed that investigation. They didn't get her and for fear of her wrath I'm sure it exhonerates her with a little "In the future this could look bad don't do it again." I thought it might lead to her downfall, but with the stonewall no chance of that now.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Watch the budget

Whatever your opinion of the Bush tax cuts, it is indisputable that they made our tax base more progressive: the rich and very rich now pay a higher percentage of the total tax take than they did before Bush took office. That has dire implications for the budget for the next few years.

Is it at all possible that this is because the rich are making more, and the not-rich are making less? Wouldn't that have the effect of shifting the tax burden?

SHHH!!! Don't let everyone see that the emperor has no clothes. Those rich people are hurting while the fundamentals of our economy are strong.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Watch the budget

Actually that's pretty much the reason.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

With little testimony to go off of and little fact I think their delaying and heming and hawing already doomed that investigation. They didn't get her and for fear of her wrath I'm sure it exhonerates her with a little "In the future this could look bad don't do it again." I thought it might lead to her downfall, but with the stonewall no chance of that now.

I'm not sure. If it is a "He said she said" argument but she didn't turn up to give her side of the story, all you have to go on is "his" side. Of course, this assumes the investigator has balls.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Thanks for still knowing all the shit I forgot from my econometrics course, Kakos.

I still remember some of it, but not how to turn a poll result into a hypothesis test without the data.

Trying to get my LSAT teacher to understand the difference between standard deviation and mean standard error was fun, though.

No problem. As the resident Statistomancer, it is my job to know these things.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What I'm wondering is whether this means they think they have a reasonable case against her without the witnesses or it means they have no intention of observing due diligence.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    Basically I have no idea how we're going to come up with the cash up front,

Massive inflation.

Yes. Deficit spending -> inflation. In other words, deficit spending acts like a tax (and a regressive one at that). This is why the Republicans' anti-tax rhetoric is laughable, since they are the deficit spending champions of the woooooorld.
    Girlfriend points out that a trillion dollars to save our market is about equal to what we spend per year in Iraq, so this isn't necessarily a sudden game changer re: inflation.

We don't spend 1 trillion dollars per year in Iraq.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    Watch the budget

In practice, it probably means the rich were making more and the non-rich were making about the same. Problem is in assuming that "shifting the tax burden" is a useful metric. It's not like we gain some fundamental benefit from having the rich pay an extra 10% of the taxes. It can result in more revenue, sure. If the poor are also making less, it can result in the same or less revenue. None of this has dick to do with whether or not our economy is healthy, our workers are employed, or anything else we should care about.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm not sure. If it is a "He said she said" argument but she didn't turn up to give her side of the story, all you have to go on is "his" side. Of course, this assumes the investigator has balls.

She's a popular governor who gives away money to those she likes, that the investigation got this far is surprising. Besides with gems like her Oil quote we want this Albatross around the McCain neck.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Watch the budget

SHHH!!! Don't let everyone see that the emperor has no clothes. Those rich people are hurting while the fundamentals of our economy are strong.

That is completely fucking retarded and I can't believe it's in the Atlantic.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Basically I have no idea how we're going to come up with the cash up front,

Massive inflation.

Yes. Deficit spending -> inflation. In other words, deficit spending acts like a tax (and a regressive one at that). This is why the Republicans' anti-tax rhetoric is laughable, since they are the deficit spending champions of the woooooorld.
    Girlfriend points out that a trillion dollars to save our market is about equal to what we spend per year in Iraq, so this isn't necessarily a sudden game changer re: inflation.

We don't spend 1 trillion dollars per year in Iraq.

For comparison, our gross annual government expenditures are in the neighborhood of $2.5T, and our GDP is in the neighborhood of $12T. $1T is a whole shit-ton of money.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

What I'm wondering is whether this means they think they have a reasonable case against her without the witnesses or it means they have no intention of observing due diligence.

I'm wondering if they release the report and it says she is guilty, what will McCain/Palin say then?

"Oh, it doesn't matter. It's just a partisan, silly little Alaska thing. Vote McCain/Palin 08!"

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    acronomiconacronomicon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So how long until Bush is said to be a liberal republcian? I'm guessing before this election is over.

He's already been tagged that way. Or at least been tagged as not being conservative enough, which is effectively the same for the average rabid person.

acronomicon on
    32340.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey now I don't want Bush in our club!

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFyArd8zdw

For those wondering if Palin's ability to speachify make that oil quote sound any better? Uhh no, it actually sounds a lot worse.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a side benefit to this bailout. Hopefully we'll stop being dicks to other countries in financial crisis and not just tell them either to suck it up, open up their markets more, or libralize them more. We may actually start helping other countries now, when they need it.

Also, I would think other countries would be happy that the government stepped in to save the world economy (as dramatic as that sounds). I mean, that should count for something. Hopefully they're not too mad about us almost making the world economy collapse.

edit: Also, we might have a financial crisis, but China's in the midst of a milk crisis, so there's that :lol:

Cauld on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

I'm wondering if they release the report and it says she is guilty, what will McCain/Palin say then?

"Oh, it doesn't matter. It's just a partisan, silly little Alaska thing. Vote McCain/Palin 08!"

They'll call it a liberal witch hunt and pin it on the dems.

psychotix on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Watch the budget

That was my impression as well.

Speaker on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    Lordy- if I was Obama & I won the presidency, if I ever saw a bill with an earmark for Alaska it'd go down in fucking flames.

If I were Obama and I won the Presidency, I would immediately ask Congress to pass a bill saying that if any member of the executive branch is issued a subpoena to testify, they wil comply or face jail time.

I only regret that it can't apply to states, too.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    There is a side benefit to this bailout. Hopefully we'll stop being dicks to other countries in financial crisis and not just tell them either to suck it up, open up their markets more, or libralize them more. We may actually start helping other countries now, when they need it.

Also, I would think other countries would be happy that the government stepped in to save the world economy (as dramatic as that sounds). I mean, that should count for something. Hopefully they're not too mad about us almost making the world economy collapse.

edit: Also, we might have a financial crisis, but China's in the midst of a milk crisis, so there's that :lol:
    So that's what Hopium addiction looks like.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/palin_still_badmouthing_troope.php

God just seeing this little bit of the hannity interview is angering, let alone that she continues to beat the bullshit "He should have been punished more," drum. On top of that shes running the lie that she wanted him to be in another department. Christ you could use her own statements to prove she fired him with no cause because she claims SHE DIDN'T FIRE HIM!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008

For those wondering if Palin's ability to speachify make that oil quote sound any better? Uhh no, it actually sounds a lot worse.

Please let this become a meme.

I can't wait to hear the spin on this.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, the #1 expert on energy/national security in America.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Please let this become a meme.

I can't wait to hear the spin on this.

They NEED to make that a side-by-side with that Ms South Carolina video

Locust76 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/palin_still_badmouthing_troope.php

God just seeing this little bit of the hannity interview is angering, let alone that she continues to beat the bullshit "He should have been punished more," drum. On top of that shes running the lie that she wanted him to be in another department. Christ you could use her own statements to prove she fired him with no cause because she claims SHE DIDN'T FIRE HIM!

What pisses me off is the whole "he tased my nephew" thing. It's never said in contexted.

"He tased my nephew, at my nephew's request, so that he could impress my daughter and show her that he's not a mama's boy." Was it a stupid thing for the officer to do? Yes. Have other 11 year olds done far stupider things? Beyond a doubt. It's "Jackass" not "don't taze me, bro!"

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I should move to Alaska and become their governor. I am probably more qualified than her.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »

You see the problem in america is that oil just need to be more fungible, with its fungibility. Thats the bush doctrine charlie.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What pisses me off is the whole "he tased my nephew" thing. It's never said in contexted.

"He tased my nephew, at my nephew's request, so that he could impress my daughter and show her that he's not a mama's boy." Was it a stupid thing for the officer to do? Yes. Have other 11 year olds done far stupider things? Beyond a doubt. It's "Jackass" not "don't taze me, bro!"

Also it didn't come up for 2 years until my sister wanted to divorce him and we all know how forgiving spouses are during divorce procedures.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I should move to Alaska and become their governor. I am probably more qualified than her.

You need to marry a woman who looks nice and will sell her soul to the republican party and she can be mayor and you can be the shadow mayor like Todd Palin.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I have scraped things off my shoe after stomping through a barn that are more qualified than her.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I have scraped things off my shoe after stomping through a barn that are more qualified than her.

Well be honest Jeffe your barn also contains the corpse of Jimmy Hoffa.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »

You see the problem in america is that oil just need to be more fungible, with its fungibility. Thats the bush doctrine charlie.

I need to clean my shower because it's becoming too fungible wait am I doing this right.

ElJeffe on
This discussion has been closed.