As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] DAMON

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Matt Damon seems like a smart guy and a good actor. I would like to ... have a beer with him.

Matt Damon for president?

@ Zimmy: I noticed your King post, but I decided not to get wishy-washy. My friend and I spent an evening talking about American history on a patio while we drank beers in early summer. It was a very bittersweet moment. I love this country, just not in a Ford F350 and rifles and country music kind of way. I love what it -represents- and what it stands for, even if our president is a bumblefuck and most of the people here are bumblefucks, I retain the opinion that we have a good vision and if there were some decent people we could regain some of our former glory.

When did we have "glory"?

When our ideas stood for something and we weren't getting terrible healthcare and our economy wasn't imploding and people didn't wipe their ass with the constitution because they were afraid of darkies?

When was this mythical time, though?

It was in my dreams.

Back when men killed their sensei in a duel and never said why.

Shit, I haven't played Smash Bros in so long ... I need to hook it up and throw down some Mario Kart or some smash or something ... maybe hop on the VC, I remember Mario RPG is on there now. Damn, that would be a way to kill a whole day. Amazing effing game. I wish wish wish SD3 was on there, I already have a physical Secret of Mana cart ... damn my love of games. (By damn I mean I love games and I cuddle with them every night)

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    What we have is what we've always had: potential.

And I strongly disagree with the pervasive sentiment on this board that "Americans are stupid" or what have you. Americans are people; they are no better or worse than people from other parts of the world. As a group they tend to hold certain opinions and positions you may not agree with, but the only way to change that is to appeal to the better parts of their humanity: compassion, reason, and resolve. Nobody is beyond hope until they are dismissed as such by those who could help them see a better path.

Pessimists accomplish nothing, but optimists can change the world.
    I don't think the problem is that Americans are stupid; I think the problem is that the culture in America glorifies stupidity. The anti-intellectualism that's been running rampant in this country for quite some time is ridiculous to see in an industrialized nation; not to mention the huge amounts of systemic corruption. And then there's the nationalist streak, along with the flag fetishism, that really ratchets things up to an entirely new level. The idea that it's "unpatriotic" to question or criticize the president would be laughed out of pretty much any European country, or Canada. It's patently ridiculous, a philosophy you'd be more likely to see subscribed to in China or Saudi Arabia, however, there are huge swaths of the American public who believe it.

Fucking ridiculous.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, can we beat Polkster like a pinata for sheer fucking stupidity?

I thought it was pretty fuckin funny, to be honest.

it would have been funny if i was twelve and thought that evaluating even imaginary women on their "fuckability" was a hilarious thing

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    I have 30 minutes to add 100 words to this essay. Will I succeed?! Lest find out.

What is the essay on?

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    And I strongly disagree with the pervasive sentiment on this board that "Americans are stupid" or what have you. Americans are people; they are no better or worse than people from other parts of the world.
    The word "Americans" has so very little worth as a descriptor of demographics. We are too giant. The word, really, is just short of being patently useless except for the most obvious generalizations -- ones like you have already gotten out of the way.

It really only has value for self-identification. It is somewhat unique in that respect, since I can never be "Japanese" or "Iranian" or "Nigerian" no matter how hard I try, but anybody can be American if they choose to be.

If anything gives the idea of being "American" any value, it's that.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dman wrote: »

LOL!
    I found it hilarious. "Scientifically" determining the fuckability of cartoon characters. Whoever wrote that is screwed up and so is Polkster for reposting it.

Actually, i'm probably screwed up too cause I found it hilarious :P

My first thought after I read the first paragraph was, "But marble slabs are fuckable because holes can be cut in them."

mrflippy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why do threads about school attract so much stupid?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »

I'd answer but it would use up my irony quota for the day.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cuz skool sux dude.
    I think I just died a little inside.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dman wrote: »

LOL!
    I found it hilarious. "Scientifically" determining the fuckability of cartoon characters. Whoever wrote that is screwed up and so is Polkster for reposting it.

Actually, i'm probably screwed up too cause I found it hilarious :P

That's the best OP I've ever seen on these boards.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'd answer but it would use up my irony quota for the day.

Man, I hate ironing.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never understood the "minimum" length for essays. Maximum I get, cause no one in their right mind wants to read 500 pages of assigned writing submissions. But really, you should just be told that the professor can only give marks for stuff that's on the paper, so it's in your interest to make sure you get some good stuff on there, and the more good stuff the better.

Dman on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Back in my day, if I handed in an essay late my teacher would use it as toilet paper and then hand it back to me. And dock 50% of the grade.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not proud of being an American

but only because I'm so proud of being an Oboro that there's no room for another lover

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Coldred wrote: »

Back in my day, if I handed in an essay late my teacher would use it as toilet paper and then hand it back to me. And dock 50% of the grade.

I would hand the same essay in again then.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So now Facebook has a language setting that converts all of your notifications and such to pirate lingo.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

I gave up on that thread because it was just making me angry.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    yo they better send me a paycheck after the first week, and not the second, because there's a Taco Bell 20 blocks away or so and I am already sick of beans and pasghetti and want something double-A+ 'wful

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Matt Damon seems like a smart guy and a good actor. I would like to ... have a beer with him.

@ Zimmy: I noticed your King post, but I decided not to get wishy-washy. My friend and I spent an evening talking about American history on a patio while we drank beers in early summer. It was a very bittersweet moment. I love this country, just not in a Ford F350 and rifles and country music kind of way. I love what it -represents- and what it stands for, even if our president is a bumblefuck and most of the people here are bumblefucks, I retain the opinion that we have a good vision and if there were some decent people we could regain some of our former glory.

And I strongly disagree with the pervasive sentiment on this board that "Americans are stupid" or what have you. Americans are people; they are no better or worse than people from other parts of the world. As a group they tend to hold certain opinions and positions you may not agree with, but the only way to change that is to appeal to the better parts of their humanity: compassion, reason, and resolve. Nobody is beyond hope until they are dismissed as such by those who could help them see a better path.

I never said "Americans are stupid" or what have you. I think it's not helpful to gloss over the fact that we are a flawed country that needs constant vigilance to not fall prey to the natural trend of wealthy, powerful nations: complacency and insular views.

America never had a "golden age" and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we can work towards improving ourselves for the future and learning from all of the mistakes we and our leaders have made in the past.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    engage her in wild and viscous acts of animalistic fucking

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's the word he wanted...

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008

When our ideas stood for something and we weren't getting terrible healthcare and our economy wasn't imploding and people didn't wipe their ass with the constitution because they were afraid of darkies?

It was in my dreams.

Shit, I haven't played Smash Bros in so long ... I need to hook it up and throw down some Mario Kart or some smash or something ... maybe hop on the VC, I remember Mario RPG is on there now. Damn, that would be a way to kill a whole day. Amazing effing game. I wish wish wish SD3 was on there, I already have a physical Secret of Mana cart ... damn my love of games. (By damn I mean I love games and I cuddle with them every night)

If you are ANYWHERE near NYC I absolutely love smash and will play it with you.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I got in a sick burn on Sarah Palin, and no one even noticed. :cry:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yo they better send me a paycheck after the first week, and not the second, because there's a Taco Bell 20 blocks away or so and I am already sick of beans and pasghetti and want something double-A+ 'wful

my jobs have usually been 3 or 4 weeks before giving me my first paycheck, unless i've worked at the institution previously

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So now Facebook has a language setting that converts all of your notifications and such to pirate lingo.

We need someone that converts retard/leet/pirate-lingo speach to english, not the other way around. D:

Dman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    cuz skool sux dude.
    I think I just died a little inside.

Honestly I think that if public schools used the model that my High School did a lot of the education problems in this country would solve themselves within a generation, along with the whole "anti-intellectual" thing Than talked about (which has its roots in the original Great Awakening).

Seriously, I live in the middle of Nowhere, ME. Nothing but hillbillies as far as the eye can see, and it worked for us. The people who led the charge against it? Mostly the parents rich-kids, sons and daughters of educated people who vote straight Republican tickets because of taxes who got pissy because their perfect little angels couldn't game the system anymore.

Meanwhile I started at Boston College as well or better equipped than many of my peers who went to $50k a year private high schools, and it was all because of the systemic reforms at PRHS.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

I had a prof like that in college, but even if you do really well there was a tangible weight difference in the paper after you got it back because of the amount of red ink she would use. Always very critical, but gave praise when due and didn't necessarily expect anything beyond a reasonable aptitude point for whatever level the class was.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It was in my dreams.

If you are ANYWHERE near NYC I absolutely love smash and will play it with you.

I'm from NE Ohio.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Granted, many scholars theorize most lesbians are just faking and can be broken of their man-hating habits by a variety of simple procedures, most common of which is the standard "deep dicking", however such matters are still heavily debated.
    This may be the most brilliant statement ever.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm from NE Ohio.

That's... that's a little far, even for an obsessed crazy like me.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

my jobs have usually been 3 or 4 weeks before giving me my first paycheck, unless i've worked at the institution previously
    whaaaat

both my previous jobs waited two weeks, and then paid me weekly thenceforth

3-4 weeks would be ... weird

I'd need to rely on free food from the second week or so in

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I never said "Americans are stupid" or what have you. I think it's not helpful to gloss over the fact that we are a flawed country that needs constant vigilance to not fall prey to the natural trend of wealthy, powerful nations: complacency and insular views.

America never had a "golden age" and the sooner we realize this, the sooner we can work towards improving ourselves for the future and learning from all of the mistakes we and our leaders have made in the past.

I was responding to Ronaldo there, I know you didn't say that.

The whole "Golden Age" myth is a recurring phenomenon throughout human history; it's part of who we are. For some reason we have this bizarre inborn need to view the past through rose-colored lenses, which has a really bad habit of skewing our perspective with regard to progress.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited September 2008

With anime, anything is possible.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You should be prepared for the fact that, depending on when you start and how the business is run, it can often take up to a month between actually working your first day and receiving your first paycheck.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I dunno, I'm always concerned about the Reynolds number when it comes to sex. You wouldn't want turbulent flow would you?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

You should be prepared for the fact that, depending on when you start and how the business is run, it can often take up to a month between actually working your first day and receiving your first paycheck.
    That, uh, paycheck will at least account for all of those hours over that up-to-a-month, right?

Seriously, this is life or death.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm from NE Ohio.

That's... that's a little far, even for an obsessed crazy like me.

I'd be willing to try it. My internet at home is very good. If you no likey, you can no contest and come back here and tell me 'ha ha u sux' and what not.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Granted, many scholars theorize most lesbians are just faking and can be broken of their man-hating habits by a variety of simple procedures, most common of which is the standard "deep dicking", however such matters are still heavily debated.
    This may be the most brilliant statement ever.

That's an intellectualism that most rednecks can get behind.

And on top of.

And bound up in one of those Chinese swing thingies.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I dunno, I'm always concerned about the Reynolds number when it comes to sex. You wouldn't want turbulent flow would you?

My flow is always hells of turbulent.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was responding to Ronaldo there, I know you didn't say that.

The whole "Golden Age" myth is a recurring phenomenon throughout human history; it's part of who we are. For some reason we have this bizarre inborn need to view the past through rose-colored lenses, which has a really bad habit of skewing our perspective with regard to progress.

Ah.

Well then. I agree!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love that all of my math work is online even though it's not an online course. here's hoping I can do it at work. I'll find out later.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.