As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Classic console night 2007

ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the swordhttp://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Ok, So... in 2006 it seems they allowed people to bring in consoles for their own freeplay. If i had only known that sooner >.<

Is the same going to be for 2007? And is there a way I can help make this an official event? I would entertain being an enforcer if need be.

YES! COME ONE, COME ALL to COMBAT 2 PWNAGE!

STREET FIGHTER 2, HYPER FIGHTING!

General CHAOS!

HERZOG ZEWEII!

I have to give Martian viking big props for bringing his projector and doing that 10 man bomberman. That was something else. ( mental note, buy projector)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vis01

Viscountalpha on

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So um. no one cares?

Thats fine. The cooldown party in my room is still a go. I might just keep to a snes, and the genesis mk2.

Viscountalpha on
  • TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i care

i think...

i will pwn j00 @ mortal kombat 3

TomExMachina on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If needed a got a multi-tap for 3 player SoM or something. Come to think of it I only got 2 controllers...

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    We should be bringing at least one if not two projectors for 2007.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TNTrooper wrote:
    If needed a got a multi-tap for 3 player SoM or something. Come to think of it I only got 2 controllers...
    Hrm. I should bring my rickety old SNES and sole remaining controller. With any due luck, I'll have finally beaten my copy of FFVI I got at PAX.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

We need a place for some projector Street fighter 2-- hyper fighting. Although bomberman on the projector was pretty awesome as seen here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vis01

(there.. FINALLY... a few of my photos)

Viscountalpha on
    edited January 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

Okay, this has become sketchy as my bulb just burnt out last night. I'll keep you guys posted on this as PAX approaches.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

I have a, albeit huge, projector available, and given that I know Astayonix will be all over Classic Console Night, I can endeavor to bring it with us.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

I have a, albeit huge, projector available, and given that I know Astayonix will be all over Classic Console Night, I can endeavor to bring it with us.

are you interested in doing a combined sunday evening thing? Last year only a few showed up and they were all friends. I hope this year the hotels will be a tad more forgiving for hosting something like this.

Viscountalpha on
  • Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This year we'll actually have space for classic consoles in the freeplay area, if you guys have any requests in that department let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Technically we didn't have dedicated space for people to bring their own consoles last year -- I'm going to guess that someone hooked one up to one of the console freeplay stations.

Amber Fechko on
    edited February 2007
    kelp wrote:
    This year we'll actually have space for classic consoles in the freeplay area, if you guys have any requests in that department let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Technically we didn't have dedicated space for people to bring their own consoles last year -- I'm going to guess that someone hooked one up to one of the console freeplay stations.

Well, the obvious classics apply, NES, SNES, Atari 2600, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast just to name a few.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would advise you to buy a one of these for any freeplay console you bring: Kensington Desktop Lock.

It comes with three glue-on pads that take two days to set.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    I would advise you to buy a one of these for any freeplay console you bring: Kensington Desktop Lock.

don't put too much faith in those. i've got pocket bolt cutters that can go through those like butter.

[edit] btw, i've got some pretty cool classic gaming stuff, if you guys think maybe i should bring it. i've got several nes's, including the new model (can't remember the name, it's only been around for a couple years), as well as a very limited edition sharp tv with built in nes. got controllers, an nes advantage, and zappers, as well.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

don't put too much faith in those. i've got pocket bolt cutters that can go through those like butter.

Yeah, but it's better than nothing, a security system you can bypass without bolt cutters.

Also, don't bring anything rare and valuable to PAX. Only tears will follow.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Yeah, but it's better than nothing, a security system you can get bypass without bolt cutters.

I agree. I will bring my vintage 1st and 2nd generation Sega Genesises..es.es.. ^_^, but they will remain in my hotel room during PAX. Last year, I brought 2 extra TVs to the hotel and we had a grand old time in our room playing old Genesis games.

Regardless of whether or not there's a place at PAX to set up classic consoles or not, mine will remain in my room, and I will probably limit access to friends and aquaintances becuase I don't want my stuff getting lost or stolen and I want controlled access to my hotel room. Don't want people thinking my room is an official public stop on the PAX circuit.

If you want to play some classic Genesis, let me know here in the forums or at PAX07. Sorry, Viscountalpha and ElectricTurtle.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Astayonix wrote:
    ctishman wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

Yeah, but it's better than nothing, a security system you can get bypass without bolt cutters.

I agree. I will bring my vintage 1st and 2nd generation Sega Genesises..es.es.. ^_^, but they will remain in my hotel room during PAX. Last year, I brought 2 extra TVs to the hotel and we had a grand old time in our room playing old Genesis games.

Regardless of whether or not there's a place at PAX to set up classic consoles or not, mine will remain in my room, and I will probably limit access to friends and aquaintances becuase I don't want my stuff getting lost or stolen and I want controlled access to my hotel room. Don't want people thinking my room is an official public stop on the PAX circuit.

If you want to play some classic Genesis, let me know here in the forums or at PAX07. Sorry, Viscountalpha and ElectricTurtle.
    i am definitely down for some genesis, shaq fu mutha fucka!!!! haha

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    ctishman wrote:

[edit] btw, i've got some pretty cool classic gaming stuff, if you guys think maybe i should bring it. i've got several nes's, including the new model (can't remember the name, it's only been around for a couple years), as well as a very limited edition sharp tv with built in nes. got controllers, an nes advantage, and zappers, as well.

If I end up bringing my SNES, it will be on me all the time. End story.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Someone should take the initiative to bring a ping-pong table.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • doctajohndoctajohn Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    hey, anybody know an easy place to get my NES fixed? It has just kinda stopped working over the years.

doctajohn on
    I Garland, will KNOCK YOU ALL DOWN!
    edited February 2007
    doctajohn wrote:
    hey, anybody know an easy place to get my NES fixed? It has just kinda stopped working over the years.
    ya kiddin, right? you can get an nes on ebay for WAY cheaper than what it would take for a trained professional to look at your nes. how bout this, sell it to me for $5+shipping, and you can put that towards your new nes! i only ask because i have repaired about half a dozen nes's lately.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anybody wanna play some Hey You Pikachu?

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll bring my snes. but which games?

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Super Mario Kart and NBA Jam

Highfire on
    edited March 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    I'll bring my snes. but which games?
    shaq fu!!! definitely some mk action, though. i'd say earthworm jim and dkc3, but those are really single player games, as are most good games from back then.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, i've had this intense craving for Super Mario World.

Sumi on
  • helmet_okhelmet_ok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who's up for some commodore 64 action?

helmet_ok on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will be more than happy to bring my old Sega Master System :D

Chizzer on
    edited March 2007
    My aunt used to have this weird vegas game for Snes that I used to play all the time. it used to have slots and stuff. it was ages ago, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Sumi on
  • PsydrithPsydrith Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who's gonna run through some oldschool contra with me 8-) ?

Psydrith on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh man, I was bored one night at a restaurant and downloaded Contra to my cell phone. Then I started jonesin' for the real thing and I went to a game trader store to pick up the cartridge for the NES we have at work. No joy. I ended up just downliading an emulator and the rom and I've been playing it (and Double Dragon and Punch Out) for the last few days.

I miss my childhood.

DJBreslin on
    edited April 2007
    Psydrith wrote: »
    Who's gonna run through some oldschool contra with me 8-) ?

you got it! i'll definitely be bringin my arcade pad for that action!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited April 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    My aunt used to have this weird vegas game for Snes that I used to play all the time. it used to have slots and stuff. it was ages ago, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Vegas Stakes, I have that game too, I also used to have a version for PC, I think 3DO made it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• KorethKoreth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lets's see here. As far as classic consoles go I have a working 2600, SNES, Genesis Mk. II, Sega CD Mk. II, and a 32X.I suppose the PSX is old enough now to be considered classic, maybe I'll bring that. Maybe If I'm lucky I'll pick up a working Saturn between now and PAX. If I'm REALLY lucky I might find a copy of NiGHTS, or Panzer Dragoon.

Koreth on
  • MagicallyStupidMagicallyStupid Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know this DOESN'T quite sound right, but I have a bunch of classic games on my 360 if nothing else. Smash TV, Paperboy, TMNT, Double Dragon, Doom, probably one or two more which I'm forgetting.

Yeah I know it kind've defeats the purpose and spirit of this. But if push comes to shove and theirs nothing else, I can bring it in. Plus come on... when has four player TMNT arcade game ever been a BAD thing?

MagicallyStupid on
    My sig can beat up your sig!
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    NES games I can bring if anyone is really interested in playing one (no way am I bringing the whole bag. :P). I'll not be bringing a console as mine stopped working ages ago and I've been too lazy to get a new one. :)

T&C Surf Design, Track & Field, Arkanoid, Joust, MagMax, Robowarrior, Strider, Skate or Die, Legendary Wings, Karnov, Blaster Master, Dragon Spirit, Super Off Road, M.U.S.C.L.E., Cobra Command, River City Ransom, Bigfoot, Heavy Barrel, Xenophobe

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited August 2007
    skarsol wrote: »
    NES games I can bring if anyone is really interested in playing one (no way am I bringing the whole bag. :P). I'll not be bringing a console as mine stopped working ages ago and I've been too lazy to get a new one. :)

T&C Surf Design, Track & Field, Arkanoid, Joust, MagMax, Robowarrior, Strider, Skate or Die, Legendary Wings, Karnov, Blaster Master, Dragon Spirit, Super Off Road, M.U.S.C.L.E., Cobra Command, River City Ransom, Bigfoot, Heavy Barrel, Xenophobe

Get the yobo cheapo nintendo clone. It does the job. The nes on a chip as a bit of emulation issues but for the most part it works just fine.

Viscountalpha on
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So fellas, who's running this then? I really want to take part. I'm bringing my SNES and mario kart with me and really want to throw down.

We have a big screen at the hostel we're staying at, so it's possible to host it there pending the staff saying it's cool to have a fuckton of people there :)

PS. We got about 20 ppl at the hostel willing to participate I'm sure

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm always up for some Street Fighter action! :D

phamtq on
    edited August 2007
    okay someone has to let me know about this because im bringing not only my snes but also Pong by Atari. :D

if it's actually going down, someone can PM me for my phone number.

Sumi on
    edited August 2007
    So fellas, who's running this then? I really want to take part. I'm bringing my SNES and mario kart with me and really want to throw down.

We have a big screen at the hostel we're staying at, so it's possible to host it there pending the staff saying it's cool to have a fuckton of people there :)

PS. We got about 20 ppl at the hostel willing to participate I'm sure

I will have street figher 2 turbo. Thats all we really seemed to play. I might bring kirbys dream course but that might just be a waste.

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.