• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where's the Left4 Dead thread?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know the game only comes in 4 player co-op or 4 vs. 4 survivor co-op, but I hope they allow for a extended number of spectator slots. Truth be told, I like to watch the mayhem more then I like to play them.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's nice to have the option of playing as the special enemies, minus the witch, but the only people I see giving it much play time are people trying to get their griefing out of their system. Most griefers will already be getting their fill be ruining other people's games.

The other alternative is people who actually want to play as zombies and that's terrible. Undead sympathizing scum.

So playing against someone in a versus mode is greifing? Wut?

Man, that was not me talking about griefing or versus or anything. You've gone and mixed me up with someone else. How dare you! At least I didn't think you were Iowa on Monday night! I just knew your voice was familiar, but I couldn't but my finger on it. :(

EDIT:
    A-ha! It was SirToons' post. I guess being mixed up with SirToons isn't terrible.

And damnit, I checked this morning for a preload to only be disappointed.

Arminas on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really, really wish I had a computer that met those minimum specs.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish it was Thursday instead of Wednesday.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish living in a different country didn't effect the purchase of digital media.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wonder what time we'll begin getting the Gamestop codes today. Sending information without confirmation always makes me nervous.

UberEv on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    rabble rabble this is crap its 1am on the 6th wheres my demo rabble rabble

timezones, whats a timezone?

I'll timezone your face in a minute

[tiny]is it out yet?[/tiny]

om nom nom nom
    treats.jpg

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I wish living in a different country didn't effect the purchase of digital media.

How do you mean? Last I checked, Valve don't change their pricing depending on region (as far as I'm concerned, I always thought of that as one of their better points).

Or is the game just not available at all in Japan? That would be weird.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

How do you mean? Last I checked, Valve don't change their pricing depending on region (as far as I'm concerned, I always thought of that as one of their better points).

Man, when I was living in O(o)ita Steam was an absolute nightmare for me. I had to have my friends and family buy me things from the US using my credit card, then I would log on and download in Japan. It was a lot of effort to get TF2.

UberEv on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

In many countries (namely Aus and Canada) the exchange rate is currently in the shitter.

Canada's dollar crashed right about the time pre-orders became available, sorry Canucks :|

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

We'll be releasing the Left 4 Dead dedicated server files prior to the Left 4 Dead demo being released.

More details will be sent to the mailing lists when we have them.

There are two things to keep in mind regarding running a Left 4 Dead server:
    1The CPU load for the Left 4 Dead server will be higher than you're used to for games like TF2. Left 4 Dead has a bunch of A.I. for the zombies, etc., that games like TF2 don't have.
    2Left 4 Dead uses a new matchmaking system we're developing. We'll be working with the server admin community to make sure the new system operates as smoothly as possible. More details on this later.

-Eric

Hah I don't need your fancy server mailing list thing

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I feel this game is going to increase my steam friends! yay for friends!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Someone invite me to Armadeaddon

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Someone will need your actual SteamID. (I can't, I'm on my work terminal)

Arminas on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my god you guys

zombie killing is TOMORROW

AND I HAVE A FOUR DAY WEEKEND STARTING SATURDAY

SO YES

Ledneh on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    Zzulu wrote: »

Someone will need your actual SteamID. (I can't, I'm on my work terminal)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zzulu

:whistle:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Left4Dead411.com preview
    Another last minute preview before we get to zombie killing (with an hour of video apparently) goes through the whole Blood harvest campaign
    First, a word on difficulty: Expert mode plays differently than the other modes. It's much more defensive than the other modes. You'll never find yourself surrounded by zombies and still alive like you see happen in many previous videos. When each individual Infected does 20 damage per melee hit, it only takes a second to get knocked down to zero health. What this means in terms of gameplay and strategy, and what you'll certainly see in the videos, is that as a team we're constantly shooting Infected from far distances. The higher the difficulty mode, the more paranoid you need to be about zombies getting anywhere near you. We apologize if this makes watching the videos a little less exciting than the lower difficulty modes, but that's the only way to survive. Onto the videos!
    • The tooltip popup things are awesome. They show up less and less as you play more, and if you didn't have them first-time players including experienced gamers would get lost in the chaos.
    • They made the change where closing a door locks it automatically. This is very handy.
    • Unlimited pistol ammo is absolutely necessary. I ran out of ammo so many times, if I ended up running out of pistol it'd just be ridiculous. You're punished enough from running out of main weapon ammo.
    • The pipe bomb is amazing. It's a great tool for bad situations.
    • As you've seen from the opening cinematic, the new Survivor designs work out really great. They have a lot of personality and I am perfectly happy with them, even if Zoey is less attractive.
    • There are no voice wheels at all in the Xbox 360 version, and the wheel that alerted teammates to Boomer/Hunter/boss infected has been taken out of the PC version (it's all automatic now). You still have the other two wheels which I use quite often in the videos.
    • Propane tanks, oxygen tanks and gas cans are awesome pickup weapons that are distributed randomly throughout the maps
    • Boomer vomit is green. Our second design had green Boomer vomit even when it was actually red. We called it.
    • As mentioned, closer proximity to an enemy means you do more damage with the weapon. Very useful fact to know vs. the Tank and Witch.
    • Headshot gibs are awesome.

Voice wheels not being in the 360 version isn't surprising. I'm pretty sure that the only voice command in TF2 for 360 was calling for medic. At least that's what it was like when I tried to play TF2 with the 360 controller.
    UberEv wrote: »
    Are we all happy now?

Why do you ask? This is the internet, a place where no one is ever happy and everyone is angry all the time.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Left4Dead411.com preview
    Another last minute preview before we get to zombie killing (with an hour of video apparently) goes through the whole Blood harvest campaign
    First, a word on difficulty: Expert mode plays differently than the other modes. It's much more defensive than the other modes. You'll never find yourself surrounded by zombies and still alive like you see happen in many previous videos. When each individual Infected does 20 damage per melee hit, it only takes a second to get knocked down to zero health. What this means in terms of gameplay and strategy, and what you'll certainly see in the videos, is that as a team we're constantly shooting Infected from far distances. The higher the difficulty mode, the more paranoid you need to be about zombies getting anywhere near you. We apologize if this makes watching the videos a little less exciting than the lower difficulty modes, but that's the only way to survive. Onto the videos!
    • The tooltip popup things are awesome. They show up less and less as you play more, and if you didn't have them first-time players including experienced gamers would get lost in the chaos.
    • They made the change where closing a door locks it automatically. This is very handy.
    • Unlimited pistol ammo is absolutely necessary. I ran out of ammo so many times, if I ended up running out of pistol it'd just be ridiculous. You're punished enough from running out of main weapon ammo.
    • The pipe bomb is amazing. It's a great tool for bad situations.
    • As you've seen from the opening cinematic, the new Survivor designs work out really great. They have a lot of personality and I am perfectly happy with them, even if Zoey is less attractive.
    • There are no voice wheels at all in the Xbox 360 version, and the wheel that alerted teammates to Boomer/Hunter/boss infected has been taken out of the PC version (it's all automatic now). You still have the other two wheels which I use quite often in the videos.
    • Propane tanks, oxygen tanks and gas cans are awesome pickup weapons that are distributed randomly throughout the maps
    • Boomer vomit is green. Our second design had green Boomer vomit even when it was actually red. We called it.
    • As mentioned, closer proximity to an enemy means you do more damage with the weapon. Very useful fact to know vs. the Tank and Witch.
    • Headshot gibs are awesome.

Voice wheels not being in the 360 version isn't surprising. I'm pretty sure that the only voice command in TF2 for 360 was calling for medic. At least that's what it was like when I tried to play TF2 with the 360 controller.
    UberEv wrote: »
    Are we all happy now?

Why do you ask? This is the internet, a place where no one is ever happy and everyone is angry all the time.

Reading this made me so angry, even though I'm happy. Oh man I am just so angry though.... and happy.

UberEv on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess being mixed up with SirToons isn't terrible.

Huh. Well.

In my defense, all you pyros look the same.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To whoever sends me an invite to Armadeaddon, one fresh psuedo-goat will arrive on their doorstep tomorrow.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/maraxus94

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess being mixed up with SirToons isn't terrible.

Huh. Well.

In my defense, all you pyros look the same.

you take that back!

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was going to ask something or say something about this game, but it has passed, and I cannot recall what I was going to say at all.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I demand updates from the non-Hardworking-Americans at home every hour.

I want to know if it is preloading yet.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, they still haven't released more info about the dedicated servers for Left 4 Dead, much less the server code in general.

Their window of opportunity is closing fast to have servers ready for a Thursday release.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey could I get an invite to the Left 4 Dead group? Pretty Please?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CharlesVI

CharlesVI on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can someone please invite me to Armadeaddon?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dissociater

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I was going to ask something or say something about this game, but it has passed, and I cannot recall what I was going to say at all.

"That awesome game, Awesome 4 Awesome, is so awesome. I can't wait to be playing such an awesome game tomorrow...awesome awesome awesome."

That's probably along the lines of what you might have said...hypothetically of course.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I remember.

People, don't get excited about playing it late tonight, or even all day tomorrow. This is Valve. By Thursday they could easily say 11:59 PM Thursday PST. There is no way we're playing this all day tomorrow.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can't wait to play tomorrow.

Longest.
    Day.
    Ever.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So since this is a Steam game does that mean that every time I join a game I have to download 200MB is custom MP3 sound effects first?

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    dmauro wrote: »
    So since this is a Steam game does that mean that every time I join a game I have to download 200MB is custom MP3 sound effects first?

Why would you ever do that? Disabling downloads of custom sound files is the first thing you do when you first start a Source game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One question I have from watching some of the new left4dead411 videos: I know the game tries it's damnedest not to spawn anything where it can be seen spawning, but does it ever happen? I'd imagine there'd have to be SOME open areas where it just can't be prevented with four Survivors looking errywhere.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I remember.

People, don't get excited about playing it late tonight, or even all day tomorrow. This is Valve. By Thursday they could easily say 11:59 PM Thursday PST. There is no way we're playing this all day tomorrow.

But I want to believe! D:

Zetx on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, tangentally related to L4D;

My mic has finally died on me. I was using a Logitech Headset I'd had for a good 2-3 years where one headphone had died. Rather than junking it, I just put vent/game sound through my speakers and would continue using the mic by wearing the headphones around my neck. Ghetto, sure, but effective and strangely comfortable.

Now I need to look into a replacement. Dead headphone aside, I've always liked Logitech ones, and figure I'll probably go with them again. I've checked Best Buy and they've got what appear to be some quality ones on hand, from cheap to nearly $100 after taxes.

Considering that I want this more for the mic than the headphones, any recommendations? I suppose I could just get any old headset and do the same thing, as I like being able to have a movie or show on in the background while messing around in a game. I use ventrillo constantly with WoW (and soon, L4D), so I intend to get one today or tomorrow most likely, which rules out waiting on something shipped. Also, Ebay seems to have lots of good deals, but they're all refurbished, which I think I'll sidestep for now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    dmauro wrote: »

Why would you ever do that? Disabling downloads of custom sound files is the first thing you do when you first start a Source game.

Is this in the game options or Steam options? I wasn't aware this existed either, though I haven't played much of anything online other than TF2 on Steam, and that was only a small amount here and there.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just saw an image of a loading screen and it's pretty great.
    It's a movie poster that shows the player names as though they were the names of actors.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just saw an image of a loading screen and it's pretty great.
    It's a movie poster that shows the player names as though they were the names of actors.

Not the biggest fan here.. the names seem poorly overlayed. If it were more subtle and not on the characters, that'd be cool. :winky:

Zetx on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I remember.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The 411 preview mentioned a before and after of Zoey resulting in a fuglier Zoey. Is this true? I haven't seen a comparison of the old and new character models.

Arminas on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Oh I remember.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

What's happening tomorrow?

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.