• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I hate you.
    Also note that Christmas was completely replaced with "Winter Carnival" in this one. And you say there is no war on Christmas.

My friend works at a library, and they wanted to replace "Christkindlmarket" with "Chris Kringle" or something equally retarded in one of their newsletters.

Oh god, their potato pancakes are sooo good. And real pierogies.

moniker on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    mrflippy wrote: »

I hate you.
    Also note that Christmas was completely replaced with "Winter Carnival" in this one. And you say there is no war on Christmas.

My friend works at a library, and they wanted to replace "Christkindlmarket" with "Chris Kringle" or something equally retarded in one of their newsletters.

Oh god, their potato pancakes are sooo good. And real pierogies.

Man, now I want potato pancakes.

Maybe I could make some tonight... hmmm

mrflippy on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One of the funny things about Frosty Returns is that it was made by Lorne Michaels, the guy who created Saturday Night Live.

I have no idea what to make of this fact.

BigBear on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BigBear wrote: »
    One of the funny things about Frosty Returns is that it was made by Lorne Michaels, the guy who created Saturday Night Live.

I have no idea what to make of this fact.

I'd say it seems to be on par with every other movie Lorne Michael's has made.

with the possible exception of Kid's in the Hall: Brain Candy (which he only produced)

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I hate you.

A handful of retards standing outside your capitol building lobbing feces doesn't exactly constitute a war.

Jeffe is right.

Those are just homeless people.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

I would like to discuss the merits of cranberry dishes. I submit: tart cranberry relish? Delish. Goopy cranberry jelly stuff? Not.

Mama Stambergs? Pretty good, though weird and not something I'd want more than once a year.
    The best? Fucking straight up cranberries.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I would like to discuss the merits of cranberry dishes. I submit: tart cranberry relish? Delish. Goopy cranberry jelly stuff? Not.

Cranberry relish?

Oh wait, I just googled it.

yes. I want this to happen in my mouth

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2008

Mama Stambergs? Pretty good, though weird and not something I'd want more than once a year.

Unsweetened? Those are some tart motherfuckers. I do like me some dried cranberries, though.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But if you can discard all the bullshit and whittle Christmas down to a core of being really nice to people, I think it's a pretty neat holiday.

Thats what I really love about it. When i was a missionary, we'd have discussions with Jehova's Witnesses about Christmas. They of course, were absolutely against it, seeing it as soley the pagan holiday instituted by Constantine or whatever.

We..dont disagree with them. Yes the tradition of Christmas may have stemmed from that, but the way in which we celebrate it now does not connoate such a tradition. In my church, we believe that Christ was born on April 6th, but we still celebrate his birth during Christmas time, not that the actual day in which he was born really matters, but thats just the best time to do it. Kids get two weeks off for school, the family usually gets together, and we (we as in my family and people within my religion) use it as a time to celebrate Christ's brith, giving a more meaningful theme to the Holiday isntead of it simply being about recieving gifts or just to get with the family.

The timing isnt really that important, whats important is what people make with it. Like ElJeffe said, during the Christmas season, people are just a little bit nicer, they are a little bit friendlier and more charitable, whether this is because of the connotation they place on it as Christian Holiday, or in a more secular sense simply as a time when they focus more on other people and enjoying a season with their family, it doesn't matter. Whats important and nice about it is that people can just be in a nicer mood.

Now, wouldn't it be great if people were like this all the time? Wouldn't it be awesome if people were more charitable all year long, that they didn't need a specific time to do so? Of course, but atleast this is a start....

This goes in tone with all of the Winter Holidays, whether its Chanukkah or Kwanza or Ramadan or if you don't have any religion at all, during the holiday season people act more like decent human beings, thats it.
    I disagree. I think the tree and the snowman and the songs and the mistletoe and the gifts and the holly and the ivy and the red and the green and the blue and the silver and the ornaments and lights and garlands and wreaths are all a pretty damn cool tradition that can be enjoyed thoroughly whether or not you throw Christ's birth into it. "Being nice to people" is something you should always do, that isn't a holiday.

Edit: And Santa Claus and elves and advent calendars and candy canes and sleigh and sleds and cards and ribbons and carolling and candles and...

I wasn't saying that you Had to throw Christ into it, in fact, I was saying the opposite. For US, as in ME and MY family, and MY Religion, yes we do that, and it makes it a little more special for us in our own respect. But as well, people can enjoy the season no matter what their denomination, or lack there of, is. That people can (in there own respect) bring Christ into for themselves, despite whatever undertone of paganism that existed 2000 years ago. Major point, which you simply reiterated for me was that, whether you apply a religious aspect to it or not, Christmas is a great thing simply because of the general cheerfullness and hope that it creates for people.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    But if you can discard all the bullshit and whittle Christmas down to a core of being really nice to people, I think it's a pretty neat holiday.

Thats what I really love about it. When i was a missionary, we'd have discussions with Jehova's Witnesses about Christmas. They of course, were absolutely against it, seeing it as soley the pagan holiday instituted by Constantine or whatever.

We..dont disagree with them. Yes the tradition of Christmas may have stemmed from that, but the way in which we celebrate it now does not connoate such a tradition. In my church, we believe that Christ was born on April 6th, but we still celebrate his birth during Christmas time, not that the actual day in which he was born really matters, but thats just the best time to do it. Kids get two weeks off for school, the family usually gets together, and we (we as in my family and people within my religion) use it as a time to celebrate Christ's brith, giving a more meaningful theme to the Holiday isntead of it simply being about recieving gifts or just to get with the family.

The timing isnt really that important, whats important is what people make with it. Like ElJeffe said, during the Christmas season, people are just a little bit nicer, they are a little bit friendlier and more charitable, whether this is because of the connotation they place on it as Christian Holiday, or in a more secular sense simply as a time when they focus more on other people and enjoying a season with their family, it doesn't matter. Whats important and nice about it is that people can just be in a nicer mood.

Now, wouldn't it be great if people were like this all the time? Wouldn't it be awesome if people were more charitable all year long, that they didn't need a specific time to do so? Of course, but atleast this is a start....

This goes in tone with all of the Winter Holidays, whether its Chanukkah or Kwanza or Ramadan or if you don't have any religion at all, during the holiday season people act more like decent human beings, thats it.
    I disagree. I think the tree and the snowman and the songs and the mistletoe and the gifts and the holly and the ivy and the red and the green and the blue and the silver and the ornaments and lights and garlands and wreaths are all a pretty damn cool tradition that can be enjoyed thoroughly whether or not you throw Christ's birth into it. "Being nice to people" is something you should always do, that isn't a holiday.

Edit: And Santa Claus and elves and advent calendars and candy canes and sleigh and sleds and cards and ribbons and carolling and candles and...

I wasn't saying that you Had to throw Christ into it, in fact, I was saying the opposite. For US, as in ME and MY family, and MY Religion, yes we do that, and it makes it a little more special for us in our own respect. But as well, people can enjoy the season no matter what their denomination, or lack there of, is. That people can (in there own respect) bring Christ into for themselves, despite whatever undertone of paganism that existed 2000 years ago. Major point, which you simply reiterated for me was that, whether you apply a religious aspect to it or not, Christmas is a great thing simply because of the general cheerfullness and hope that it creates for people.

I should note that most Jews find the idea of Christmas being a nonreligious or American cultural holiday laughable. In my home town (it's a third Jewish), the Chinese food takeout counters and movie theaters are probably more crowded than anyplace else on Christmas, including the churches.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish I had a bigger jewish population around me. but then, I had even less where I grew up in delaware, so I don't know what I would do with myself if that were true.

My biggest contention is that the retail stores seem to completely ignore the possibility of a Jewish population in the area, and not even give one 4' section in their stores to having hannukah candles and a menorah. I had to order my hannukah candles off the internet last year.

That is really the only thing that irritates me, ok so it's not. But it's the biggest thing. But I could fix it by moving, I guess.

The most annoying thing?

The Christmas carols being piped into Walmart's speaker system as of Nov 1st. KILL ME!! Please, just somebody kill me.

I have heard to date about 7 different versions of Carol of the Bells (which is one of my favorite carols), 8 versions of "I'll be Home for Christmas" (which I change up by saying Hannukah instead of Christmas. It works!), and dear god I don't even know how many versions of Jingle Bells.

The biggest problem with this? It's all easy listening versions!! With pianos! And bagpipes (ok, that's pretty cool actually)!! And violins! No Burl Ives, No Nat King Cole, Nothing even close to "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", or even the bizarre hippopotamus song I heard a few years ago (if anybody knows what song I'm talking about, Maybe you could help me find it?).

Not even "All I Want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth".

No. I've been having to listen to elevator f'ing christmas carols for almost a full month now. And it's not good that I work in said walmart where there are guns, and the speakers are easily reachable.

[/rant]

ok. I'm done now.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I love how everyone's family stuffing is totally the best and everyone elses' stuffing is a horrible affront to taste buds. Mostly because I just like stuffing and don't get the hostility people have to any which wasn't made by their grandparents.

Though my grandpa's stuffing is awesome. He uses an apple, on top of all the other tasty things.

If you don't prefer cornbread stuffing to whitebread stuffing you are a fucking heathen and not welcome in my house.

Unless you want to bring some kick-ass mashed potatoes.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Unsweetened? Those are some tart motherfuckers. I do like me some dried cranberries, though.

Yeah, I mean, I can't eat a whole lot of them, but it used to be, when my mom would be chopping up cranberries for making relish, I would go in every few minutes and grab a cranberry until she'd used them all up. I really like tart stuff.

Also here's a fun one that my sister did a couple years ago. Take your normal potatoes, and do your potato mashing thing with them. Then do the same thing with your sweet potatoes. Get a big serving bowl, and put the white potatoes in one half, and the sweet potatoes in the other. Then, stick a spoon in and swirl them to make a pretty orange and white spiral. It's also super delicious.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I love how everyone's family stuffing is totally the best and everyone elses' stuffing is a horrible affront to taste buds. Mostly because I just like stuffing and don't get the hostility people have to any which wasn't made by their grandparents.

Though my grandpa's stuffing is awesome. He uses an apple, on top of all the other tasty things.

If you don't prefer cornbread stuffing to whitebread stuffing you are a fucking heathen and not welcome in my house.

I'm kind of picky about what vegetables I like but like stuffing, so every Passach I take some stuffing only to discover that I don't like bread free stuffing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

I'm kind of picky about what vegetables I like but like stuffing, so every Passach I take some stuffing only to discover that I don't like bread free stuffing.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever actually disliked a stuffing, but my mom's cornbread stuffing is so yummy.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin, I actually made some stuffing last passover with matzah. It actually came out pretty damned good.

Also, for cranberry sauce.

Recipe-ish for Cranberry sauce:
    2 bags of fresh cranberries
    brown sugar
    orange juice
    candied ginger

Boil together until the cranberries pop. Let cool. Serve with nummy nummy thanksgiving foods.

My sister-in-law makes some mean mashed potatoes using cream cheese and other things. They're really really good. I have a recipe around here somewhere.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Theres this Sandwhich place in Utah that has a Cranberry spread....its amazingly awesome.

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm coming home to Texas to spend time with my family.

Sounds great, but i'm currently in Toronto, Ontario, and I honestly can't imagine a better place that has that Christmas atmosphere.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    thanksgiving's going to be interesting this year, cause it's going to be the first time that my brother-in-law has been with all of his siblings all at once for about twenty years.

it's going to be a very very busy and packed trailer.

But the kids will be cute at least.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also I don't get thanksgiving, because i'm in Canada.

Damn it all.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Damn it all.

Yea but you get BOXING DAY!

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'll be in Texas for boxing day.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

be careful. It means something different down there.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

be careful. It means something different down there.

Yeah, it means that they're going to go kill a minority.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Actually, white people are now the minority in Texas.

Godfather on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The best part of Christmas for me is that my Grandparents give every one of their grandchildren some kind of board game and the next three days are spent testing them all out (in addition to the games the grandchildren give to each other). Though things tend to inevitably devolve into a Puerto Rico tournament.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I fully love and support every piece of current American Christmas Tradition. It's the day of the year that ties in good feelings and good will with getting new shit. It's the reason I get a warm feeling when I buy something during the other 364 days.

For serious, my favorite time of year and I am not religious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

shut up! we're working on it okay?

Christmassy stuff: man, I have had a string of bad holiday seasons and this one isn't looking too good since i'll be alone. I think I'm just going to get real depressed and loot some place and not get noticed. Time will let it come to mind

Doxa on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Doxa wrote: »

Christmassy stuff: man, I have had a string of bad holiday seasons and this one isn't looking too good since i'll be alone. I think I'm just going to get real depressed and loot some place and not get noticed. Time will let it come to mind

Do what we do: eat some Chinese food and see a movie.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I always make mashed sweet potatoes with lots of milk and (oddly enough) peanuts--it's a very good combination.

Also, shit tons of orange juice is integral to any cranberry sauce.

Also, it's all about Pot Roasts.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Doxa wrote: »

Do what we do: eat some Chinese food and see a movie.

I went to a bar-mitzvah once, I'll have to call that jewish friend and see what he does. we can rob a liquor store.

I mean, once you get closer to the bottom, you have higher chances of going up, right? So that means we have a high chance of success.

Doxa on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm coming home to Texas to spend time with my family.

Sounds great, but i'm currently in Toronto, Ontario, and I honestly can't imagine a better place that has that Christmas atmosphere.

A lot of places have a much better atmosphere around the holidays. Canadians are so reserved, especially in Toronto. Decorations are just plain lazy(those damn led lights that people put up and leave up year round) everywhere except stores.

It's not bad by a long shot, but it's nothing to brag about.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Damn it all.

You damn dirty Liar! You got Thanksgiving we just do it in October to let our tummies get back to size in time for Christmas feasting.

Speaking if the Christmas atmosphere we had a little tradition that I am sort of continuing with my daughter. See the small town I lived in had no shopping, so to get Christmas shopping done we would drive half an hour to Salmon Arm or the hour to Vernon a couple time before the holidays to get our shopping done. And on one of the return trips, we never knew wich one it would be, my Father instead of goingg straight home would start driving around our small town while we looked at all the christmas lights. It was always a neat time.

Did anyone else go real carroling? A group of my friends and I in Highschool woudl choose a night to just wander around town and sing at peoples houses. We always hit the old folks housing complex and they loved us. It was not organized by and group but us, we would just pick a night to go out and sing some cheer to the town.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Every year for Thanksgiving one family out of my mom's and her two sisterss (well she has three, but one lives two states away so she doesn't count for holidays) hosts and then the others bring a dish. This year it's at the bad sister's (in terms of hosting ability), which means eating off paper plates. For a family Thanksgiving. Sheesh.

It's worse this year because the dish we were asked to bring is pop. That's right, we have to bring the drinks for this loosely-defined-as-party instead of some fun thing we could be doing. Oh well, at least it means they won't be picking the soda, because when they do the selection is usually "Coke, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime" or something asinine like that.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The tree that we supplied in the center of our highly conservative school
    n1385816645_163917_4321.jpg

Element Brian on

Arch,
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The biggest problem with this? It's all easy listening versions!! With pianos! And bagpipes (ok, that's pretty cool actually)!! And violins! No Burl Ives, No Nat King Cole, Nothing even close to "I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", or even the bizarre hippopotamus song I heard a few years ago (if anybody knows what song I'm talking about, Maybe you could help me find it?).

Not even "All I Want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth".
    I believe I would kill a man to hear Wal-Mart pipe Christmas With the Vandals on loop on Black Friday.
    Haji was a punk just like any other boy,
    And he never had no troubles 'til he started up his Oi band.
    Safe in the garage,
    or singing in the tub,
    But Haji went to far and he plugged in at the pub.

'Twas a cold Christmas Eve when Trevor and the skins
    popped in for a pint and to nick a bag of crisps.
    Trevor liked the music,
    but not the Unity -
    he unwound Haji's turban and he knocked him to his knees.

If God came down on Christmas Day,
    I know exactly what he'd say.
    He'd say, "Oi to the punks!" and "Oi to the skins!"
    but Oi to the world and everybody wins.

Haji was a bloody mess; he ran out through the crowd.
    He said, "we'll meet again - we are bloodied yet unbowed!"
    Trevor called his bluff and told him where to meet,
    Christmas Day on the roof down at 20 Oxford Street.

On the roof with the nunchucks Trevor broke a lot of bones;
    But Haji had a sword like the guy on Indiana Jones.

Police sirens wailing, a bloody dying man;
    Haji was alone and abandoned by his band.
    Trevor was there fading and still so full of hate,
    when the skins left him there and went down the fire escape!

But then Haji saw the north star shining more then ever,
    So he made a tourniquet from his turban saving Trevor
    and rapelled off the roof with the rest of the turban,
    then went back to the pub where they bought each other bourbon.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After reading those lyrics I'm sad I've never heard that song.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    dear god, fuck christmas carols. my workplace has already begun to play them and its driving all of us fucking crazy. I don't think there's one I would joyfully listen to

Doxa on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Legislation should be enacted banning them until after Thanksgiving.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    After reading those lyrics I'm sad I've never heard that song.

Make sure you get the original, barely intelligible Vandals cut and not the No Doubt cover. It loses something when being sung by someone who can hit pitch.

Salvation122 on