As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gift On] Virtual Console Secret Santa 2008

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
vcss08uj5.jpg

Virtual Console Secret Santa Sign Up is now CLOSED!

Soon the Great Assigning will begin. Keep an eye on your PM boxes as your Santa/Santee info will be sent on or before Dec 2!

Welcome to the second annual Virtual Console Secret Santa Thread. Thanks to the "Gift" function on the Nintendo Wii's Shop Channel, it is possible to send other Wii owners classic games from consoles of yore, as well as new games created specifically for Wii Ware. Best of all, it means we can get our Secret Santa on!

The process is easy. In a nutshell... first, everyone who is interested in participating joins up and throws their name into the virtual xmas hat. I then will draw names at random for all participants, matching up Santas with Santees. Gifting ensues.

OFFICIAL RULES OF ENTRY AND PARTICIPATION:

Important stuff!

To join, send an email to vcsecretsantas@gmail.com with your forum name as the subject. In the body of the email, include your Wii Number (found in your Wii's Address Book) and the country you live in. These things are very important, and if you do not send all of the required information then you are not participating. USE AN EMAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU CHECK REGULARLY. I will send you your Santa and Santee information via email, and I will send it to the email address you entered with.

YOU MUST SEND THIS EMAIL OR YOU WILL NOT GET TO PARTICIPATE

I am not going to accept anyone with a forum join date later than November 1st 2008. This is to prevent abuse of the Virtual Console Secret Santa program. Sorry, but there is always the risk that someone will join up only to receive a gift without any intention of ever giving one.

SUGGESTED Gift Value: 1000 Wii Points. No one is going to hunt you down if you decide to give MORE than 1000 Wii Points worth of Virtual Console games, but there is NO requirement of ANYONE to spend more than 1000 Wii Points. This is to ensure EVERYONE has the budget to participate. If you go nuts and buy your Santee every N64 game on the service, and you only get an NES game from your Santa, tough cookies!

Gifts are Country Locked. For whatever reason, Nintendo has restricted the Gift feature to people who live within the same country. This means your Santa and Santee will be forumers who live in the same country as you. This is why you must send me what country you live in when you email me. Don't sweat it, I will match people up based on country so there are no problems. Unfortunately, if only 1 person from a particular country participates, that person will not be able to participate. Sorry, but there isn't much I can do about that.

Deadlines

Deadline to Enter: November 30th at 11:59pm Central Time. I must receive your entry email with correct information BY THIS DATE AND TIME.

December 2: You will receive your Santa and Santee information (Wii Numbers).

December 31: Your Santee must receive his or her gift by this date.

Other Important Stuff

On December 2nd I will send everyone their Santa and Santee information. I will send each participant the Forum Name and Wii Number of their Santee (for stalking and gifting), and the Wii Number of their Santa(for receiving gifts). BOTH Wii Numbers MUST be entered into your Wii Address Book. If you fail to do so, you can not participate!

Don't complain about who you got for a Santee! Further, don't complain about what your Santa got for you!

Feel free to post what games you already have here in this thread. It will also serve as a nice guide to your Secret Santa as to what kinds of games you like!

This thread IS mod approved. HOWEVER, it is not their problem if you get ripped off by some turd burglar who doesn't send out a gift. Sorry, but thems the terms. This is just one more reason I'm encouraging a spending cap of 1000 Wii Points. LET IT BE KNOWN that if you gift something that costs 0 points such as the news or weather channel, you will be considered a deadbeat santa and beatings will ensue.

The most important rule: HAVE FUN!

Who Is In:

Folken Fanel
CoJoTheLawyer
Lothars
urahonky
Niceguyeddie616
toxk_02
mxmarks
darunia106
SageinaRage
Figgy
Cameron_Talley
gijohn13
Seol
SirUltimos

I will be updating this list nightly(ish). If your name doesn't appear within a day of sending your entry email, send it again. Make sure you are sending it to the correct address (vcsecretsantas@gmail.com) and you are including all the required information and that information is correct. If your name isn't on the list, you aren't participating.

This all worked out fantastically last year, with no deadbeat santas and nothing but happy gamers all around. Lets make it a 2 year perfect streak!

The rest of this thread may be used to discuss, post what games you have, etc. Do know that simply posting "I'm in!" doesn't grant you entry.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it would also be helpful for everyone to post what games they already have and how much memory/channel space they still have. It would suck if a Santa wanted to give a game only to find out the Santee couldn't accept it.

Also, is it possible to send two gifts to one person and have them pending at the same time? I can imagine a likely scenario would be sending 2 NES games, since that totals up 1000 points and isn't much in the way of memory space. Could the Santee get both at the same time, or is it done where they get the first game and then afterwards are told there's another gift for them?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Love this idea, will totally be participating since I my indecision over lack of funds caused me to miss the real Secret Santa. Sending e-mail shortly...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, I forgot to mention that if you try to send your santee a game they already have, it simply won't be sent and your points won't be lost.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BTP wrote: »
    Also, is it possible to send two gifts to one person and have them pending at the same time? I can imagine a likely scenario would be sending 2 NES games, since that totals up 1000 points and isn't much in the way of memory space. Could the Santee get both at the same time, or is it done where they get the first game and then afterwards are told there's another gift for them?

This is possible because I sent 2 games to my person and I think I got more than 2 from my santa. You get separate gift envelopes on your message board with links to download them.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would join if I could access the Wii Shop.

I have my country set to USA, BTW.

RockinX on
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This was a lot of fun last year, can't wait to do it this year!

Can we also send Wiiware games? or is this still just limited to VC?

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So much santaing, feels good. Also, besides a list of currently owned VC/WiiWare games I'd include games you have hard copies of but don't own a VC version. Example: I have the original SMB3 and don't really need it on VC, but if someone gifts it to me there's no message back to the purchaser saying I already own it.

Already Have List:
    NES:
    Donkey Kong
    Legend of Zelda
    Mario Bros
    Metroid
    Pac-Man
    Punch-Out!!
    Super Mario Bros
    Super Mario Bros 2
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

SNES:
    Donkey Kong Country
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid

N64:
    1080 Snowboarding
    Legend of Zelda: OoT
    Mario Kart 64
    Sin & Punishment
    Star Fox 64
    Super Mario 64

Sega Genesis:
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3

WiiWare:
    Cave Story
    LostWinds
    Mega Man 9
    World of Goo

I don't see why WiiWare games wouldn't be fair game, in fact that's where I'm leaning for gifts right now.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    toxk_02 wrote: »
    So much santaing, feels good. Also, besides a list of currently owned VC/WiiWare games I'd include games you have hard copies of but don't own a VC version. Example: I have the original SMB3 and don't really need it on VC, but if someone gifts it to me there's no message back to the purchaser saying I already own it.

I'll get a list of my library up sometime before names go out.

I don't see why WiiWare games wouldn't be fair game, in fact that's where I'm leaning for gifts right now.

Damn, I thought I mentioned that! I even went over my own collection thinking I had mentioned that! Oh well.

I see no reason for not including WiiWare. Probably lots of "Goo Worlds" and "Mega Men" to go around soon.

Also, I've included this thread into the Nintendo Wi-Fi thread's OP in the Updates section, just in case this thread gets hard to find.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wii Ware is fair game. I think I mentioned that in the OP didn't I? EDIT: Yes I did. Just don't gift something that costs 0 points.

I kindof stuck the World of Goo art in there to emphasize that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In so hard.

urahonky on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In so harder.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In with a vengeance!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In free or in so hard?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    WIN!

urahonky on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Deal me in.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm in like last year but I am canadian so hopefully we have several canadians in again.

Lothars on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think US and Canada can gift to each other if you change your country. It's been awhile but I don't think they fixed that.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think US and Canada can gift to each other if you change your country. It's been awhile but I don't think they fixed that.

Hmm... this warrants research!

At the moment I can only guarantee that people in the US will be able to participate (if we get an odd number of US participants, I'll throw myself in the hat to even out the number, if we get an even number, I'll stay out to keep it even).

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't think it matters if there's odd or even, AZ. Unless there's only one.

Three people: A, B, C.

A gets C
    B gets A
    C gets B

Everyone gives and everyone receives.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll be in for this, when I get home and can check my code...even though I still have vc games I haven't played/finished.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh fuck yes. Definitely doing this.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    After everyone gets in, should we have a mega thread thingy where everyone lists what they already have? I'd post my list now, but I don't want to get ahead of things, or have it buried under everyone else's general excitement for this awesome idea.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Who is in list updated.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sign me up plz.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Absolutezero.. Maximumzero... hmmm

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    Absolutezero.. Maximumzero... hmmm

I see where you're going with this...

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It... it's not what it looks like! Honest!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was tempted to make an account named "SomewhatZero" just for the joke, but decided this was easier.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    We need more Canadians. Come on, Canada!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    8 people so far? Come on people! This is another way to make people happy!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alright fine, I'll participate. I originally figured I wouldn't simply because there are fairly specific games I'd actually want on WiiWare/VC that I don't already have.. and I'd end up getting them for myself anyway when I had the money..

But why not.. let's do this for the stalking and excitement of sending. Email sent.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ok, finally got around to sending in my info. This is why I don't do regular secret santas, I'm really bad about doing these kinds of things on time. I think sending some vc games should be simple enough for me to do though.

And while I'm thinking about it, let me go ahead and post what I've got already:

N64:
    Super Mario 64
    F-Zero X
    Sin and Punishment
    Paper Mario

Super Nintendo:
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid

Genesis:
    Gunstar Heroes
    Comix Zone

TG-16
    Bomberman 93
    Soldier Blade

nes:
    Gradius

and no wii ware.

I never owned any of these consoles, so just about anything would be new for me, except for stuff that everyone's played, like Sonic and Mario. I'm not a huge platformer fan, I tend more towards rpg's, but I'll play any genre if it's good...and not too insanely hard. So, probably no MM9. I do like some shmups though - I prefer the ones that aren't just memorizing the levels. And pinball too, I forgot which pinball games are supposed to be good or not.

I also tend to like artsy experimental games a lot, so maybe those art style games? I've been looking at lost winds as well. The only game that I know I'm for sure going to get is Mario rpg, so I'd prefer something else, that I wouldn't get on my own. Really, just get whatever you think is good, and that I would never hear of.

Ok, that got kind of long. Hopefully you enjoyed this little trip into my psyche. I promise i will read whatever rambling nonsense my santee writes.

edit:: Oh, and I'll probably wait and see if they bundle the strong bad games once they're done, so...not that please. Do I sound like an ass when I say things like that?

edit2:: Jesus christ, as I look through the selection in the wii shop channel, there's so many fucking games in here, goddamn. I think I could conceivably just play downloadable games on my wii for the rest of my fucking life.

edit3:: I also have the Metal Slug collection for Wii, and the Gamecube OoT:Master Quest disk.

edit again: I bought Gradius.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Please to be making with the posting what games you have, guys. This is the thread. There won't be another one for this whole holly jolly ordeal!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's what I have so far:
    NES

Super Mario Bros.
    The Legend of Zelda
    Ice Hockey
    River City Ransom
    Bubble Bobble

SNES

The Legend of Zelda

N64

Starfox 64

Genesis

Gunstar Heroes
    Golden Axe

TurboGFX 16

Dungeon Explorer
    Bomberman `93
    Double Dungeons

WiiWare

Dr. Mario RX
    Tetris Party
    Major League Eating: The Game (What a waste of money! Girlfriend thought it looked fun and wanted to try it out.)

Just for fun, here are some games I've considered buying but haven't yet:
    WiiWare

World of Goo
    Bomberman Blast

My favourite games are ones I can play with friends in the same room or even online.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm in; email sent.

I'll edit this post later with my Game List/suggestions...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is there a website where I can view all the VC/WiiWare games?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wikipedia has a list, don't know how up to date it is though.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My collection has grown quite big as time has worn on, I need some time to get a list compiled. And seeing how the next two weeks for me is crunch time to get ready for my exams, I don't know if i'll have time.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I might as well post my whole collection now

Virtual Console:
    NES
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan (Lost Levels)
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Mega Man
    Mega Man 2
    Kirby's Adventure
    Kid Icarus
    Excitebike
    Ninja Gaiden
    River City Ransom

Super NES
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario RPG
    Donkey Kong Country
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Super Metroid
    Zelda: Link to the Past
    R-Type III

Nintendo 64
    Mario Kart 64
    Paper Mario
    Starfox
    Sin and Punishment
    Pokemon Puzzle League

Sega Master System
    Sonic The Hedgehog

Sega Genesis
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Earthworm Jim
    Dynamite Headdy
    Gunstar Heroes
    Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron
    Streets of Rage 2
    Comix Zone
    Landstalker
    Gley Lancer

Turbografx 16 and CD
    Bomberman 93
    Bonk's Revenge
    Air Zonk
    Star Parodier
    Gate of Thunder

Neo Geo
    Samurai Shodown

Wiiware:
    LostWinds
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: MLAAK
    Mega Man 9
    Strong Bad episode 1

Other stuff:
    Sonic Mega Collection (which includes Ristar and Flicky)
    Mega Man Anniversary (although I'm rebuying some of them on VC)
    original Metroid through Prime and Zero Mission
    All the Zelda games except Majora's Mask
    original Castlevania on NES classics GBA
    Ice Climber on NES classics GBA
    Metal Slug on the Anthology
    Probably others that I forget at the moment

I'll be happy with anything you give me, the only games I'm not really interested in are sports and strategy games. I find the VC great for action games as well as stuff that I never got to try out, and back in the day I was a huge Sega kid. I've also had my eye on a certain game involving Goo, possibly being used to make Worlds. Happy stalking and gifting!

Niceguyeddie616 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am so in.

This was a blast last year, and I got the absolute greatest Santa ever (Lothars). He gave me I think it was 3 games. Absolutely fantastic.

[EDIT]

Everything I have can be viewed by following the link in my sig. It shows every game I own, VC or otherwise. Meaning games I have hard copies of, whether on the original system or a later collection (such as the Sonic Mega Collection).

SirUltimos on