Options

Team Fortress 2 - DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shit, I didn't have Steam running (had a lot of school shit this week) so it didn't update. So now I'm waiting for it to download (Steam loaded because I rebooted for Windows Update). But I have to be up in five hours for drill. FUCK.

Oh, and my school apparently has Steam downloads capped at like 512kbps (60KB/s or so). So it's taking FOREVER.

I may not get to play this tonight. I hope you haven't all gotten bored of it by tomorrow.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok so at $9.99 this is quite the deal

but is it worth purchasing or has everyone moved on

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

What game isn't worth $10? Fuck, playing on PUBS is worth $10. Buy it.

I've got a couple buddies I think I'm going to push this on this weekend. One I may even buy it for (as an early present) if he resists...or maybe give him like $5 or so.

EDIT: And people still play it, even before this. I don't know about everybody else, but I actually set up a GameTracker login so I could click my favorite server list anytime and see if anybody was on the PA servers. Usually I'll swing over if they hit critical mass (like 18 people or so). I just don't have the spare time to fuck around and/or idle to try and get the ball rolling, but I think I'm like a lot of the community in that I'll definitely stop by if I hear there's a party goin' on.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Things are just beginning to become equalized between Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead so the PA servers get pretty full and stay full for awhile. I just got finished playing for another two hours after playing for five and the server was full the entire time. It's worth ten dollars. The game is going to be updated for a very long time and every update brings more players and activity so you're not going to find yourself without anyone to play with. Multiplayer games like this can last for years.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EDIT: And people still play it, even before this. I don't know about everybody else, but I actually set up a GameTracker login so I could click my favorite server list anytime and see if anybody was on the PA servers. Usually I'll swing over if they hit critical mass (like 18 people or so). I just don't have the spare time to fuck around and/or idle to try and get the ball rolling, but I think I'm like a lot of the community in that I'll definitely stop by if I hear there's a party goin' on.

This patch has breathed so much life into TF2. Jon's has been 24/24 for like 12 hours straight.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Jobs is still full at 3:30am .... Haven't seen that in a very long time.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's pretty great. Good timing too, with winter break starting for a lot of people, including myself. I'll have some extra free time to stay up until 4-5AM playing TF2 if I so desire.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just can't see myself playing L4D as regularly as I ever played TF2. Oh TF2, why did I ever doubt you?

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And fastlane kills it looooool

tofu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I left because I gotta get some sleep since I have to wake up early tomorrow. Fastlane actually attracted people earlier tonight. We were sitting at about 16 people, and right when Fastlane came on it became full. It was like some bizzaro event had occurred.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Since the last update, pretty much.

The updates are great, because it really does become a "new game" for a while. This one in particular really changed a lot of the mechanics of the game (unlike the heavy update, which was just a few trinkets for one class...though self-healing heavies was a moderate change, I guess). Anyway, the changes to the spy, upgradeable dispensers/teleporters, and being able to destroy stickies all seem like they change some of the fundamental strategies that people have depended on.

Which means another week or two of "figuring out the game" again. It's not quite shiny and new, but it certainly provides a fresh coat of paint.

So I just rolled through the second two maps of Gold Rush, and damn was that fun. Wish I could have seen the changes to the first (map change to Fastlane after we lost, and I had to get to bed anyway, and it seems like the new Gold Rush 1-2 is getting mixed reviews anyway) I did get to see some of the new hotness in action.

I can't wait to see if some of this new update actually "breaks" old maps...I'd think things like faster teleporters might change the dynamics a bit on some of the older maps, but at the same time I'd generally trust Valve to test these things. But then if the spy/overheal thing wasn't intentional (I still think it was, though they may still change it either way due to audience reaction) maybe not.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    39 points in one life as engineer. With 67 teleports. I have to admit, I like these changes. Plus I found a sweet ass spot for an engineer on offense on the last point of Goldrush.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just can't see myself playing L4D as regularly as I ever played TF2. Oh TF2, why did I ever doubt you?

The problem with L4D is you can't just sit down and play it for 30 minutes (yeah, this has already been well covered). Quickies are fun in TF2, in L4D they're either a tease or a letdown. And as an adult with responsibilities I can rarely commit to 2-4 hours of gaming (and I feel like I'm letting my team down if I leave in the middle in L4D).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Seems like I shall return to TF2 since the servers will be full for a while.

Sadly, everyone and their mother will be playing engie with me.

Guess I'll just have to show em how its done.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Good times. I didn't really notice the spy/engy changes tonight. Which is to say, they're both awesome changes, but don't really break the game.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Good times. I didn't really notice the spy/engy changes tonight. Which is to say, they're both awesome changes, but don't really break the game.

I didn't notice the spy changes at all, but I did get some mileage out of the upgraded dispensers. Made me a very happy camper. I also destroyed hella stickies.

EDIT : Does this sticky thing make an Engie/Heavy pretty tough to kill? I'd think if both the Engie and Heavy take cover behind the Sentry/Dispenser, and the Heavy pours fire into any stickies that get shot up, it'd make them damn near invincible.

EDIT: Though I guess that's really only for areas where your back is covered, like Dustbowl 3-1.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Teleporters are pretty crazy now. On maps like Gold Rush 3-2, there's no point to anyone walking to the front line anymore.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I really love the upgraded teleporters.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ugh. Just after I posted that, I got into the server after waiting quite a while, and there were six people.

PA server clears could be in the bible.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It doesn't break the game, but level 3 teleporters are a pretty big deal. I was the only engineer on offense for the last point of Goldrush, and because of the near-instant charges our entire team was respawning right where the fighting was.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It doesn't break the game, but level 3 teleporters are a pretty big deal. I was the only engineer on offense for the last point of Goldrush, and because of the near-instant charges our entire team was respawning right where the fighting was.

So is it just the entrance that upgrades?

I can see this doing big things for offense on attack/defend maps, and for the team on the attack in two-way CP maps...not having to devote more than one engie to teleporter duty frees up more guns for the killin'.

But then if it's the entrance that controls the upgrades, it just makes it that much more of a pain in the ass when a spy heads back and saps it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I just got this, on the 10bux deal. Could someone invite me to the PA steam group, please? My steam username's chef_max.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually, the exit or entrance can be upgraded. It doesn't matter which. However, if one gets destroyed then it goes back down to level 1.

And Atheraal, we don't use the Steam group. Just check the OP for the server info.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man I need to get back into this

offensive engy is pretty much the only thing I still enjoyed being when I stopped

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

The updates are great, because it really does become a "new game" for a while. This one in particular really changed a lot of the mechanics of the game (unlike the heavy update, which was just a few trinkets for one class...though self-healing heavies was a moderate change, I guess). Anyway, the changes to the spy, upgradeable dispensers/teleporters, and being able to destroy stickies all seem like they change some of the fundamental strategies that people have depended on.

Which means another week or two of "figuring out the game" again. It's not quite shiny and new, but it certainly provides a fresh coat of paint.

So I just rolled through the second two maps of Gold Rush, and damn was that fun. Wish I could have seen the changes to the first (map change to Fastlane after we lost, and I had to get to bed anyway, and it seems like the new Gold Rush 1-2 is getting mixed reviews anyway) I did get to see some of the new hotness in action.

I can't wait to see if some of this new update actually "breaks" old maps...I'd think things like faster teleporters might change the dynamics a bit on some of the older maps, but at the same time I'd generally trust Valve to test these things. But then if the spy/overheal thing wasn't intentional (I still think it was, though they may still change it either way due to audience reaction) maybe not.

I agree. Valve knows how to play their cards quite well.

I'd be quite happy if the spy glow is removed when friendly medics heal, but still shows on disguised.
    Or if it doesn't show the true color, maybe show no overheal particles at all?

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Hey, I just got this, on the 10bux deal. Could someone invite me to the PA steam group, please? My steam username's chef_max.
    Ha this guy seems rad. Invite this dude.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

I agree. Valve knows how to play their cards quite well.

I'd be quite happy if the spy glow is removed when friendly medics heal, but still shows on disguised.
    Or if it doesn't show the true color, maybe show no overheal particles at all?

Well, I was thinkin' Valve intends for spahs to try to get enemy medics to heal them for as long as the spah can keep up his charade. Having the spah's particles be of his own team color (or anything but the enemy's color) is a huge hit to that - the only way it could be a more glaringly obvious sign of SPAH is if a valve employee called you on the telephone and said HEY YOU'RE HEALING A SPY.

Basically, what I'm saying is, on occasion I've led enemy medics on a grand ol' wild goose chase across the whole map, into friendly sentry farms and over sticky traps, straight into heavies and stabbing them when they look away, and I won't be able to do that anymore if the particles are anything but the enemy's color.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I was just playing and on a loading screen and I got a tip talking about the civilian. Could this be taken as proof that VIP mode is being added in the Scout update?

No way! What did it say? :D

I have Steam set to Danish and it was translated, so you wouldn't understand it. Instead, I scoured through the TF2 GCF and found it:
    "As the Civilian, wait for your teammates to clear an area before moving forward."
    It's the only civilian hint, but there's also some win conditions:
    "[english]Winreason_HuntedDead" "The Civilian is DEAD!"
    "[english]Winreason_HuntedEscaped" "The Civilian ESCAPED!"

The crazy thing is that I went through the files for all of the languages and the Danish one is the only one with the Civilian stuff. All of the others have no mentions of the word civilian. Just look for yourself. Open team fortress 2 content.gcf with GCFScape and go to tf/resource and open tf_danish.txt.

Does that mean Danish translators don't know how to follow orders? :P That definitely shouldn't be there and that's another awesome find, you should post it on the steam forums ;-)

Edit - I'm posting from the integrated browser with the Overlay and it's pretty sweet :D

Why would I want to post it there? Those people don't deserve to know.

Peewi on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was just playing and on a loading screen and I got a tip talking about the civilian. Could this be taken as proof that VIP mode is being added in the Scout update?

I have Steam set to Danish and it was translated, so you wouldn't understand it. Instead, I scoured through the TF2 GCF and found it:
    "As the Civilian, wait for your teammates to clear an area before moving forward."

The crazy thing is that I went through the files for all of the languages and the Danish one is the only one with the Civilian stuff. All of the others have no mentions of the word civilian. Just look for yourself. Open team fortress 2 content.gcf with GCFScape and go to tf/resource and open tf_danish.txt.

Does that mean Danish translators don't know how to follow orders? :P That definitely shouldn't be there and that's another awesome find, you should post it on the steam forums ;-)

Edit - I'm posting from the integrated browser with the Overlay and it's pretty sweet :D

You have to spread the word man, if enough people know about this Valve might not bother with sending a death squad to your home because the damage would already have been done.

Of course their assassination attempts will fail miserably anyway because their assassins somehow feel compelled to make retardedly long stabbing motions that have a tendancy to miss or harmlessly bounce off the victim's back.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit - I'm posting from the integrated browser with the Overlay and it's pretty sweet
    Wait what? How did you manage to edit the uri in the address bar? It's locked for me.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    sonictk wrote: »
    Edit - I'm posting from the integrated browser with the Overlay and it's pretty sweet
    Wait what? How did you manage to edit the uri in the address bar? It's locked for me.

Go to Steam options and enable the Steam Client beta.

You have to spread the word man, if enough people know about this Valve might not bother with sending a death squad to your home because the damage would already have been done.

Of course their assassination attempts will fail miserably anyway because their assassins somehow feel compelled to make retardedly long stabbing motions that have a tendancy to miss or harmlessly bounce off the victim's back.

I'll remember to keep a wrench handy. It should crit and kill them all in a single swing.

Peewi on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Level 3 teleporters are sex, pure orgasmic sex.
    Until someone destroys one end, and you have to upgrade it all over again :(

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My god, imagine just how freaking hard it would be to protect the civ.

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

I can see why they chose not to create a VIP mode.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Talith wrote: »

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

Hunted mode is just Heavies and Soldiers protecting the Civilian vs Snipers from what I remember.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

I can imagine them disabling crits in VIP mode. They rest of that stuff isn't that bad.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

Maybe those things are the reason the civilian tip reads "As the Civilian, wait for your teammates to clear an area before moving forward."

Peewi on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

Hunted mode is just Heavies and Soldiers protecting the Civilian vs Snipers from what I remember.

How fast/big/tough is the civ, because the only way I see the civ side winning with flippy around is lots and lots of meatshields or very alert proactive sniper disruption. :|

Woggle on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woggle wrote: »

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

How fast/big/tough is the civ, because the only way I see the civ side winning with flippy around is lots and lots of meatshields or very alert proactive sniper disruption. :|

On the other hand, if Flippy is around, there will be attempted Sniper disruption

Gumpy on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Woggle wrote: »

Spies
    Snipers
    Random Crit rockets
    Backburner
    Crit Stickies or pipes

On the other hand, if Flippy is around, there will be attempted Sniper disruption

Flippy?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well, as savoo pointed out (:P), it's nice to spread the word.

Impersonator on
This discussion has been closed.