As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix Instant View, 360 and You

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
So, all of us with 360s (and Netflix) are enjoying the Netflix integration, yes? After seeing some bantering back and forth on the merits of Primer (it's fucking awesome is the correct response) in the NXE thread I thought this would be a good “movies and TV that are Instant View on Netflix” thread. I've had Netflix for over 3 years and with 3 DVDs a week, I still have over 300 movies on my queue, despite my voracious devouring each week and I'm always looking for new flicks to check out.

There's a shitton of movies out there and I know for damn sure there's a lot of people who won't try a movie they haven't heard of if someone doesn't recommend/force it on them. So why not do quick thumbnails of movies that everyone should see? Smaller stuff, indie stuff, older stuff, foreign stuff, flicks people would probably overlook while picking up stupid shit like the newest Saw abortion.

Do a name drop and brief synopsis and a quick check to see if it's Instant View and maybe some of these great flicks will become someone's new favorite.

The Signal – Fantastic little horror movie. Creepy, bloody and really funny at times, this is a hundred times better than Asian Horror Remake #13.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – In my opinion, one of the best love stories ever. It's bittersweet and despite involving some fantastic tech, more human and real than 99% of other “love” stories.

Pan's Labyrinth – You may know the director of this as the guy who brought you the Hellboys and Blade 2. I dig those movies. This is in an entirely different galaxy of great. An adult fairy tale that is also one gorgeous looking movie.

Deep Rising
– This movie is stupid. And I love it for that. Giant monsters, Treat Williams, guns and Famke Jannsen in a tank top riding on a jet ski...it's all there, all glorious, all ridiculous and all fun as hell.

No Country For Old Men
– If you watched this and didn't like it, you're part of the problem. FACT. Drugs, money and Javier Bardem playing a man who could be the personification of Death, this is one of the finest crime thrillers ever made. Aside: any bitching about the ending gets you a slap, douchebag.

Medium Dave on

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Monsoon Wedding- great English-language (not dubbed) Indian film

Zach Galafanakis Special- Maybe it's because he reminds me of my old pot dealing printmaking neighbor but it's hilarious. Watch it if you like cringe comedy.

Ratatouille- kind of obvious, but it's one of the great 3d films that makes up for a lot o the shittiness in the genre (shrek)

Drunken Master- It's sad they don't offer original language tracks for their dubbed selections. Still an awesome movie, and the reason why Jackie is still bathing in money.

Ong-Bak- This is a movie worth owning and I'd recommend you track down an Asian version. But if you watch it on Netflix just fast forward to all the fight scenes because they re-edit the movie and molest the continuity and ruin the film. Not to mention video game quality dubbing. Same goes for "The Protector" also available on watch instant, except with that one I wouldn't bother with tracking down the original because it doesn't hold up as a good film at all, apart from the fight scenes. Ong bak was at least competently crafted for a fight movie.

Sam on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So does downloading the Netflix thing on 360 give you a free trial or something, or do you have to shell out before even giving it a go? I like the idea of it, but I don't know if it's worth paying for to me.

I'd much prefer a free, ad-driven thing like Hulu.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    So does downloading the Netflix thing on 360 give you a free trial or something, or do you have to shell out before even giving it a go? I like the idea of it, but I don't know if it's worth paying for to me.

you give them your credit card info, and cancel before the bill date.

Sam on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No Country For Old Men[/I] – If you watched this and didn't like it, you're part of the problem. FACT. Drugs, money and Javier Bardem playing a man who could be the personification of Death, this is one of the finest crime thrillers ever made. Aside: any bitching about the ending gets you a slap, douchebag.

See, this is useful. I hated No Country For Old Men and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, so now I know to avoid the other movies you recommended. :lol:

Brym on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Darlan wrote: »

If that's what you prefer, be sure to check out PlayOn. It lets you access Hulu from your 360 (or PS3).

Brym on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    No Country for old Man is a masterpiece. If you dont like it, it's because you're one of the mindless heaps proles who just eats Hollywood shit like it's the flesh of Christ, probably even like Transformers too.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brym wrote: »
    No Country For Old Men[/I] – If you watched this and didn't like it, you're part of the problem. FACT. Drugs, money and Javier Bardem playing a man who could be the personification of Death, this is one of the finest crime thrillers ever made. Aside: any bitching about the ending gets you a slap, douchebag.

See, this is useful. I hated No Country For Old Men and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, so now I know to avoid the other movies you recommended. :lol:
    And now we know to avoid the rest of your posts.

Win/win? I think so.

Monger on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I need to watch No Country again. I didn't get the ending. I also had stomach pain the entire movie so it was hard to concentrate.

Eternal Sunshine though, that's pretty much my favorite movie.

I recommend Contact, I watched it last night with the instant queue. It's glorious.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Monger wrote: »

Win/win? I think so.

Okay, lay it on me. I hated the movie because of the ending.
    I think actually having a climax is better than not having a climax, even if you're doing it to show how cool you can be for defying convention. And any movie that ends with someone verbally describing a dream is just terrible. A dream as symbolism is so trite and cliche that it can never be effective, and hearing someone talk about a dream is even worse.

EDIT: This shouldn't really be directed at you, but at Ethugs. You're saying we have different tastes, which is cool. But Ethugs seems to think that anyone who doesn't like the same movies he likes is an idiot.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Breaking News- Great Hostage crisis film from Hong Kong. A little more on the action side, but it's still one of the better action movies I've seen.

Sam on
  • Options
    SparthSparth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it just me or does this not work for Canadians?

Sparth on
    435718-1.png
    Sparth.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Less about smartwank movies and more about how awesome Deep Rising is.

zilo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Win/win? I think so.

I think actually having a climax is better than not having a climax, even if you're doing it to show how cool you can be for defying convention. And any movie that ends with someone verbally describing a dream is just terrible. A dream as symbolism is so trite and cliche that it can never be effective, and hearing someone talk about a dream is even worse.
    Spoilers? I assume that the thread intended for people looking for movie suggestions is going to consist mainly of people who haven't seen the movies being suggested to them.
    The ending, eh? You get all that tension built up, then you don't get to see Lou Ellen die and nothing happens. There is no climax. It's frustrating and it's unsatisfying, isn't it? That's the parallel between the viewer and Ed Tom. He spends his life fighting against chaos, and accomplishes precisely dick. There's no great battle for him, and no omen of the end of his struggle beyond the fact that he just gets tired of it. It's all in the name: there's no country for old men. You're young and you fight the good fight because you think you can, but it wears on you and eventually you just accept the fact that it's completely fucking futile. Then you give up just like everyone that came before you.

edit: Apparently I sound like more of a jackass than I intend to. Nothing personal.

Monger on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is Beetlejuice old enough now that some people haven't seen it? Because it's on there, and if you haven't seen it you are wrong. Michael Keaton back when he was still funny, Alec Baldwin, and a ton of cheesy stop-motion special effects. Directed by Tim Burton. Definitely in the "guilty pleasures" category (Mad Max is also on there), but worth a watch.

Also, it's perfectly possible to dislike a great movie and still have decent taste. See: Blade Runner thread over in D&D. I can see somebody disliking No Country for Old Men. Though adding Eternal Sunshine makes things a little hazier. Still, these are hardly movies that I'd expect to be universally liked.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Win/win? I think so.

Spoilers? I assume that the thread intended for people looking for movie suggestions is going to consist mainly of people who haven't seen the movies being suggested to them.
    The ending, eh? You get all that tension built up, then you don't get to see Lou Ellen die and nothing happens. There is no climax. It's frustrating and it's unsatisfying, isn't it? That's the parallel between the viewer and Ed Tom. He spends his life fighting against chaos, and accomplishes precisely dick. There's no great battle for him, and no omen of the end of his struggle beyond the fact that he just gets tired of it. It's all in the name: there's no country for old men. You're young and you fight the good fight because you think you can, but it wears on you and eventually you just accept the fact that it's completely fucking futile. Then you give up just like everyone that came before you.

By the way it's not Lou Ellen, it's Llewellyn.

I really love Planet Terror / Death Proof both separately and combined together in Grindhouse.

Also Big Trouble in Little China and motherflippin' Ghostbusters 1 & 2.

freakish light on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This never works well on my 360. A lot of movies won't start, or they'll freeze the Xbox while loading. TV shows cut out most times before finishing, and I can't resume play if I exit a viewing.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    zilo wrote: »
    Less about smartwank movies and more about how awesome Deep Rising is.

"What's that?"

"I think it's The Girl from Ipanema."

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Win/win? I think so.

edit: Apparently I sound like more of a jackass than I intend to. Nothing personal.

Sorry, I didn't really think what I wrote was a spoiler. I've tagged it anyways.

And yes, I get the ending, I just don't think it's particularly clever, nor does it make for a good movie.

EDIT: Just thought of the video game analogy. NCFOM tries to make a narrative point by messing with the structure of the movie. That's akin to a game trying to make a point by messing with its playability.... i.e. Space Giraffe. I can *get* the point that Minter is trying to make, but that doesn't mean I think it's either a) profound, or b) any fun to play.

Also, so I'm not just coming in here and whining, here's some recommendations:

The King of Kong - the documentary about dudes trying to get high scores in Donkey Kong.
    Mean Girls - While marketed at teen girls, this is actually a movie anyone would like. Great for Tina Fey fans.
    Seven - About a serial killer, from the director of Fight Club.

None of these are particularly obscure, but I'm sure some people might have missed them.

Brym on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Hudsucker Proxy is definitely worth a view if you haven't seen it, and I think it's still available.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't yet had a chance to link my netflix account to my gamertag. But I watched a few instant view movies on laptop last week in between insane amounts of school work.

Outsourced - From IMDB: After his entire department is outsourced, an American novelty products salesman heads to India to train his replacement. Cute little indie flick, heartwarming and all that good stuff.

Cashback - also From IMDB: After a painful breakup, Ben develops insomnia. To kill time, he starts working the late night shift at the local supermarket, where his artistic imagination runs wild. It was funny and weird.

I also watched the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movie for the first time... :|

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nite-Man wrote: »
    I also watched the 3rd Pirates of the Caribbean movie for the first time... :|

And then wished you had the DVD on hand to burn it, right?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Primer.

Then, Primer again so you have a slightly greater chance of comprehending it.

Also, Six String Samurai.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    The Man From Earth was suprisingly good. Acting is a little rocky at the beginning, but it sucks you in pretty quickly. All art-house fare. Group of people sitting in one room talking, but it's fucking engaging.

Sukiyaki Western Django is basically a modern Kurusawa film with some current Japanese style thrown in.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Didn't care for No Country. Wasn't a bad film by any means, just not something I'd care to see again.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't even remember why I didn't like No Country For Old Men. I'm guessing it was because the assassin guy was so silly.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trouble Man - Great '70s exploitation flick starring Robert Hooks.

Ice Pirates - Fun low-budget sci-fi flick with Robert Urich, Ron Perlman, and Anjelica Huston. I watched this many times when I was a kid, and it's held up surprisingly well. Also, "may they all end in thirst" is my new favorite curse.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Compelling historical drama set in Northern Ireland in 1920 during and after the revolt. Won the Palme D'or at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

Tremors - Everybody's seen this. Except you. You know who you are.

Once Upon A Time In China 2 - Jet Li's best movie, IMO.

Fear of A Black Hat - 'This Is Spinal Tap' applied to old-school rap culture.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trouble Man - Great '70s exploitation flick starring Robert Hooks.

Ice Pirates - Fun low-budget sci-fi flick with Robert Urich, Ron Perlman, and Anjelica Huston. I watched this many times when I was a kid, and it's held up surprisingly well. Also, "may they all end in thirst" is my new favorite curse.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley - Compelling historical drama set in Northern Ireland in 1920 during and after the revolt. Won the Palme D'or at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival.

Tremors - Everybody's seen this. Except you. You know who you are.

Once Upon A Time In China 2 - Jet Li's best movie, IMO.

Fear of A Black Hat - 'This Is Spinal Tap' applied to old-school rap culture.

Tremors FTW.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    when Harry Met Sally is on there. Anyone who does not see this movie is not alright in my book.

Also has the first 2 evening with kevin smiths, which I dig because I'm a loser sometimes

Hook is another treasure of mine.

Plenty of other stuff, too.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes, Tremors is the shit.

Also, Deliverance is on there. There's much more to the movie than...

RETARDEDLY COMMON CULTURAL MEME SPOILER
    crazy hillbilly rape,

...and anybody who hasn't seen it ought to.

Seriously, don't be afraid to click the spoiler. You already know it. Trust me. I figured just in case......

mcdermott on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Also, Six String Samurai.

So I was having a couple beers the other night while browsing things I could watch instantly. My heart fucking STOPPED when I saw the title and cover art of this one.

Here is a short story.

Christmas eve 2004 I lived at a house with 5 other people. On that night we all got drunk and watched this movie my weird roommate brought in. It was awesome. I could never remember the name of that movie, only it was something about buddy holly with a sword going to take dead elvis' place as the king of las (I find out later is lost) vegas.

That night the house burned down (another story in itself).

So, for essentially 4 years I have been trying to remember this movie, and it is right fucking there. I watched it, and it was everything I remembered, mostly because I was drunk the first time, and this time.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In case you need any further encouragement to see Trouble Man, here's the theatrical trailer:

You jive him, he'll wash you away!

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In case you need any further encouragement to see Trouble Man, here's the theatrical trailer:

You jive him, he'll wash you away!

Oh, that is queued so hard.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    I don't even remember why I didn't like No Country For Old Men. I'm guessing it was because the assassin guy was so silly.

That was basically my gripe with it. I thought the whole character was tired and seen before. I did really enjoy the cinematography for nerd reasons, but I don't think I'd recommend as much as everyone else apparently does.

Wait, is this even a discussion thread? Maybe I should have just left. Sorry. I'll do it now.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aw shit, they have Truck motherfuckin' Turner!

Continuing in the same vein, I give you what must be one of the single most absurd movies ever filmed that was not a porno:

Isaac Hayes plays an ex-football player turned bounty hunter fighting pimps on the mean streets of LA. And this is all you need to know. Featuring Yaphet Kotto and Nichelle Nichols, in a film I'd wager both wish they could forget.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had some cousins over yesterday and we sat down and watched The Orphange, which is a ghost movie.
    The Orphanage (Spanish: El Orfanato) is a 2007 Spanish-language horror film and the debut feature of Spanish filmmaker Juan Antonio Bayona. The film stars Belén Rueda as Laura, Fernando Cayo as Carlos, her husband, and Roger Príncep as their adopted son Simón. The plot revolves around Laura, who returns to her childhood home, an orphanage. Laura plans to turn the house into a home for disabled children, but the parents reach a problem when they realize Simón believes he has a masked friend named Tomás whom he will run away with.

It was fucking great. It's not just cheap scares like in some horror movies, there was a genuinely creepy atmosphere and compelling story. I loved what I saw through my half covered eyes.

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Truck Turner is almost as funny as I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka!, and it wasn't trying to be. That's the best part.

They also have Shaft, Shaft Goes To Africa, Superfly, and Black Mama, White Mama.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And apparently (although sneaky secretly the main reason) this thread was spawned is to find out whose opinions to ignore when story, theme and character is discussed in video games. Because, while I'm not naming any names, there are already several people who, when they say something along the lines of, "[Insert game here] has the best fucking story ever! The ending is fantastic!" I can just check here to see how full of shit they are.

Tremors...you know, speaking of the joy that is Deep Rising...Deep Rising is Tremors at sea. Which is awesome. And I still want Lost to wind up being on the island the other side of which has Treat and Famke. Crossover!

Trouble Man was just added like a motherfucker.

Dead Like Me Season 1 and 2 - cool little dramady TV show about a poor little dead girl...who is now a grim reaper. If you managed to catch the wonderful Wonderfalls or the fantastic Pushing Daisies, it's the same creator and has the same feel.

The Amateurs - a movie about a small town pulling together to make a porno. Before you cry, "Knock off!" this came out well before Zack and Miri. It is also the cleanest and non-nudity filled movie about making a porno ever, which makes it even funnier.

The Office Brit version - So you like the American version? Watch this one to see what all the fuss is about. The American version has become it's own (very great) animal at this point, but the Brit version is still the king of painfully hard to watch comedy. The episodes with Finch have me grinding me teeth in fury. Hooray!

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll look over my viewing history so far. Much of the stuff I've gone through on the service are "big movies" that I missed, though, so be aware that you've probably seen many of these going into the list.

Lethal Weapon: Awesomely fun buddy cop goodness due to Gibson and Glover. Mullet.

Soldier: Slightly underrated SF action flick. The SF isn't very good and the action is merely okay, and there are plenty of cheesy contrivances--but I found Kurt Russell's ultra-laconic misery pretty captivating. Also, cheesy action movies are enjoyable.

The Abyss: As with a fair amount of James Cameron's films, the melodrama and dialogue get truly cringe-worthy at times. The SF elements are barely explored and mostly put in the movie as a plot device, but the action is compelling and I liked the actors. And Cameron's effects are, as always, marvelous.

Dirty Harry: I love Clint Eastwood, so I loved this film, though I can't help but feel that the plot hasn't held up well over time, and that Harry's "bad cop"ness was pretty tame--but then, I'm a 23-year-old whose definitive cop figure is Jack Bauer.

Ghost in the Shell: Turned it off. I've tried this one out before, and dubbed or subbed, I can't stand the dialogue for more than ten minutes. But I'm not an anime fan, so, you know.

Stand By Me: Pre-baby God Wesley Crusher? Tell me it ain't so. A really good, unique film that I liked a lot. It's hard to find decent child actors and even harder to direct them, and Rob Reiner did a fine job of it. Stephen King shines through clearly in this one.

L.A. Confidential: Mmm, crime. I still really like this movie, although I feel the story isn't told very clearly, mainly because I enjoy the presentation, characters, and especially the acting.

Blade Runner: Really captures cyberpunk as it is in literature, and cyberpunk is a lot more compelling to me on the screen than in fictional form, because I can appreciate an overt stylistic approach a lot more in a visual medium than I can in a literary one. There's substance, too, and Harrison Ford in his golden age. That's why this movie is a classic.

Aliens: Still just as fun as the first time I saw it. Again, James Cameron pushes the characters a little over the top, but it's all in good fun and works better here than in The Abyss. Just an all-around blast to watch. It's the only way to be sure.

Absolute Power: Clint Eastwood is still a badass as an old guy. A crime drama that's a bit by-the-numbers, but I still enjoyed it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm trying to watch the movies in my instant queue that will become unavailable in Dec/Jan first. Why? Otherwise I'd suffer my usual Netflix queue indecision.

I'd recommend Tank Girl for anyone who likes a big dose of weirdness. Season 1 of the Doctor Who revived series too.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I admit I haven't yet watched it myself but Transsiberian just went up last week and it was extremely well received. Its from Brad Anderson who directed The Machinist and wrote and directed Session 9.

MarvellousM on