Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This fucking sucks. I loved those podcasts. I still have plenty of old episodes to listen to, but it's so sad that there will be no more. I guess I'll have to try to find a new gaming podcast.

Tube will have so much work to do if their board members come here.

elevature on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Regarding the Podcasts: What's to prevent the people that got fired from banding together and continuing to do podcasts under a different name? Heck, that's how "This Week in Tech" and the TWiT network got started---refugees from TechTV banded together and formed their own shows...

Not getting paid for it might be a slight disincentive. :P

admanb on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elevature wrote: »
    This fucking sucks. I loved those podcasts. I still have plenty of old episodes to listen to, but it's so sad that there will be no more. I guess I'll have to try to find a new gaming podcast.

Not really. He'll just ban them and forget about them. It's like three clicks. And why would their board members come here, they'll go to IGN or somewhere else far easier.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    shinydiscopaulshinydiscopaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Not really. He'll just ban them and forget about them. It's like three clicks. And why would their board members come here, they'll go to IGN or somewhere else far easier.

It was just discussed. It may not even happen, I could be the only one.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

It was just discussed. It may not even happen, I could be the only one.

And you seem like a cool guy, so welcome!:^:

I never read 1up or listened to any of their podcasts, so this isn't that big a deal for me. But I do remember excitedly reading EGM as a kid, so I'm kinda sad that it's gone. i hope everyone who lost their jobs finds something else soon.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well this was some shitty news to wake up to. I haven't read a gaming magazine for over 10 years, and I never visited their website. But damn, I loved the 1UP Yours and 1UP Show podcasts. I only discovered those thanks to this forum, and for the last year and a bit the 1UP Yours podcast has been the one thing I needed to keep me in the loop about new games. I've discovered, bought, and enjoyed a whole bunch of titles thanks to their recommendations. Yeah there are other podcasts, but I liked these ones damn it.

I'm genuinely saddened that I've lost those podcasts. As someone else said before, it got to the stage where I felt like I almost knew some of these people. I knew their names, recognised their voices, and even when I disagreed with them I respected the passion they had for games, and their ability to articulate their opinions. Excellent videogame journalists, one and all. I really hope they all land on their feet sooner rather than later.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shitty news to come home to. I eagerly anticipate the 1-Up Yours podcast every Friday. Just this past weekend sucked, as they had no show because Garnett was at CES, but no 1UY is gonna kill my Fridays now.

And fuck you guys, EGM was still one of the better gaming magazines out there. I actually have every EGM issue since 1996...I always wondered when the day would come that they would join the pile of EGM2's and Official PlayStation Magazines.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am not going to GiantBomb. They never talk about PC Games. I'm already listening to the Gamers With Jobs podcast and it is fantastic.

It's not like they talked about PC games that much after jeff and shawn left, even the PC podcast had almost half of their game coverage on console stuff

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am not going to GiantBomb. They never talk about PC Games. I'm already listening to the Gamers With Jobs podcast and it is fantastic.

It's not like they talked about PC games that much after jeff and shawn left, even the PC podcast had almost half of their game coverage on console stuff

Dunno, they never really focused on PC games for the sake of being PC games when Shawn and Jeff were there anyway. They just seemed to talk about whatever was on their mind, from comics to movies to whatever.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man the GAF thread is bringing out quite a few ex 1up staffers. Shawn especially seems very unhappy with this.

although now people seem to have the biggest problem with this quote from Sam Kennedy
    And to be honest, that’s really good news. Not only do we now have the backing of a fantastic company like Hearst, but we have the support and oversight of a great group like UGO, who have the utmost belief in 1UP and the content and sites we produce. That’s a good place to be. Now, as for how this might affect the 1UP sites and content that you’ve grown to love over the years, to be perfectly honest, I don’t think it will (though you'll be the judge of that in time). We’re still the same 1UP, and we’ll still be producing the same content and fostering the same community we always have. It’s just that now we have the backing of a much larger company, which can only help address any of our previous shortcomings.

Bolded so that you can see the specific part, And I very much agree granted this is normal damage control and I can see what hes trying to say. But saying its not going to affect anything is a downright fucking insult to all the great staffers who lost their job today.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From Garnett Lee's Twitter:

"to all the awesome tweets for us, thank you more than I can say, and yes, there will be future confirmation of weekends"

I don't see how, seeing as they're axing podcasts, but at the same time, the only 1UY member gone is Shane.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am indeed saddened that EGM, the only magazine I've continued to subscribe to, is gone for good. I'm doubly saddened that a piece of shit like Gamepro is going to outlive it.

And as somewhat rotten as it may sound, I'm also wondering if there's a way I can benefit from this. With all the layoffs, the soon to be revamped 1up should be asking for new employment soon, shouldn't they? Maybe they'll be more lenient with the rules for hiring freelancers like me. I've always wanted to work for a big site like 1up, but was afraid I could never expand that far considering the requirements for living in San Francisco (that's where they are, right?).

Also, someone should make an "essential magazine subscriptions" thread.

Edit: Seems someone did.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    I've long used Joystiq and Kotaku to get all my gaming news via RSS. By the time it hits "established game sites" like 1UP, IGN, etc. ... it's really old news. Sure, Joystiq and Kotaku aren't exactly known for fantastic journalism and coverage, but neither are the gaming sites either. (Trusting any news item written by Shane Bettenhausen, especially since he's a self-admitted Sony fanboy, can be difficult).

I can't remember him admitting to being a fanboy but I can remember Shawn Elliot saying that he doesn't think he's a fanboy. And regardless of any biases, Shane was still a really good writer and he had an amazing memory of classic games.
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either. But he claims that it doesn't affect his reporting of the news and such. I could say more to criticize him, but it's not really the time or place now.

Anyway, his last 1UP blog post seems to indicate that he had already decided to leave 1UP and that it "magically coincided" with the UGO deal. So it appears he'll be showing up somewhere. My hunch is that it'll be somewhere on the development side of the games industry.

Anyway, this really, really sucks. 1UP was the only gaming website I really visited anymore and if you could get past their horrid website, they had some pretty damn good content there. That said, I've little doubt that most of the people there will get new jobs pretty soon. Personally I'm hoping that a few of them form their own website with both video and audio podcasts. 1UP Yours without drunk Garnett would be great.

It'll be curious to see where everyone lands. Will people stay in media? Or will some try to jump over to the development side of things? Then again, many companies just aren't hiring at the moment so that'll be difficult.

Yes, there's freelance reporting as well, but I have a feeling that space is a bit too crowded right now ...

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to share a thought. Where does Milkman go? He seems to have MANY friends on the Japan side of the industry to be honest I'm quite surprised they would let someone with his level of friendship to that side of the world go. Considering the Interviews hes gotten with people Like Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Tomonobu Itagaki, Nobuo Umeatsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Yositaka Amano it seems like crazy talk to let him go to another company possibly.

EDIT: and just as he was turning EGM around IMO.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to share a thought. Where does Milkman go? He seems to have MANY friends on the Japan side of the industry to be honest I'm quite surprised they would let someone with his level of friendship to that side of the world go. Considering the Interviews hes gotten with people Like Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Tomonobu Itagaki, Nobuo Umeatsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi and Yositaka Amano it seems like crazy talk to let him go to another company possibly.

And didn't he just got engaged?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gamepro is still around? Really? Who the hell is keeping that rag alive?

Any word on what's going to happen to/from Pfister?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah letting Milky go is mindboggling. He is such a massive asset to have on staff.

Of course the same goes for pretty much everyone else that got laid off in this mess.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote:
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either.

How does that make him a fanboy? He's a fan of a company and wants to see them succeed?

And I think plenty of us here hate most of the casual Wii games as well. It's not like he dismisses all Wii games.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Today was a tough day at 1UP Towers, and those of us who will be staying with the site are going to be reeling from all the great people we lost today for some time to come. A lot has yet to be decided about what's to come, but let me put many minds at ease. Whatever happens we definitely intend to keep Retronauts going -- both this blog and the podcast.

I won't lie; without Mr. Pfister around to keep things on an even keel and maintain our famously excellent production and content values, the podcast will be pretty rough. And we may only have time to record it infrequently. But it seems like our affiliation with UGO will leave us with a lot of freedom, so even if it's a 10-minute show once every month, we'll still do Retronauts. Sharkey and Ray and I are all still kicking around, Shane's gonna be in the neighborhood and has promised to drop by when he can, and Kohler certainly hasn't gone anywhere. We even have an episode already in the can...if all goes well, it should be online by week's end.

For now, though, please offer your best to everyone leaving 1UP today -- they're amazing, talented people to a man (or woman), and I imagine they appreciate knowing how much they're loved.

Well that's some good news in all this.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And I think plenty of us here hate most of the casual Wii games as well. It's not like he dismisses all Wii games.

But plenty of people here are completely ridiculous with their petty "hate" and bullshit excuses, and same was with EGM/1UP. Good fucking riddance.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

But plenty of people here are completely ridiculous with their petty hate and bullshit excuses. And never say "us".

"Us" is a collective whole. That is, the Penny Arcade forums. Despite whoever you choose to like or dislike, we are part of this same group, so I'll throw the term around all I want, thanks.

And I don't see how that would necessarily make him a bad journalist. He hates casual games, and during podcasts, sometimes casual games get brought up and he shares his opinion. It's no different than if he disliked, say, strategy games and Command and Conquer 3 gets brought up.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    shinydiscopaulshinydiscopaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

But plenty of people here are completely ridiculous with their petty "hate" and bullshit excuses.

On the internet? That's just crazy talk.

shinydiscopaul on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "Us" is a collective whole. That is, the Penny Arcade forums. Despite whoever you choose to like or dislike, we are part of this same group, so I'll throw the term around all I want, thanks..

Throwing "us" is fucking lame, as it suggests that we would be some kind of collective with same kind of ideas. And it certainly isn't so. We may visit same forums, but that is how far it goes.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've long used Joystiq and Kotaku to get all my gaming news via RSS. By the time it hits "established game sites" like 1UP, IGN, etc. ... it's really old news. Sure, Joystiq and Kotaku aren't exactly known for fantastic journalism and coverage, but neither are the gaming sites either. (Trusting any news item written by Shane Bettenhausen, especially since he's a self-admitted Sony fanboy, can be difficult).

I can't remember him admitting to being a fanboy but I can remember Shawn Elliot saying that he doesn't think he's a fanboy. And regardless of any biases, Shane was still a really good writer and he had an amazing memory of classic games.
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either. But he claims that it doesn't affect his reporting of the news and such. I could say more to criticize him, but it's not really the time or place now.

Anyway, his last 1UP blog post seems to indicate that he had already decided to leave 1UP and that it "magically coincided" with the UGO deal. So it appears he'll be showing up somewhere. My hunch is that it'll be somewhere on the development side of the games industry.
    I'm sure he has some bias towards the PS3 (not Sony in general, since he clearly prefers the DS over the PSP) but I just doubt it's as bad as his hard-on for Sega used to be (or, from the sound of things, Nintendo pre-N64).

As for him appearing on the development side, I'm not so sure. I could see him moving to Japan and getting a job on the development side (or even work at the company Mark MacDonald does) but I can't see him working for a development studio in the west. He really just doesn't seem interested in many western games.

BloodyRoarXX: Yeah, Milkie's interviews were one of the best parts of 1UP/EGM. His casual approach generally got them to open up a lot more than all the robotic interviews on other sites/magazines.

Mike Danger: Skip's gone. He just lost his dad a few weeks back too...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote:
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either.

How does that make him a fanboy? He's a fan of a company and wants to see them succeed?

I agree I think everyone gives him a hard time for it but there's nothing wrong with being a fan of the company and hating on casual Wii games definitely nothing wrong with that.

It makes me shake my head when people critize shane for reasons like that which make no sense.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If we have seen the end of 1-Up Yours though, at least they got a somewhat-good send-off with a two-part holiday show, and two Four Minute Warning segments.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lothars wrote: »
    It makes me shake my head when people critize shane for reasons like that which make no sense.

Hating something like casual games for just sake of it makes no sense whatsoever. Except if you are one of those manchilds who thinks he is fighting for "real gaming".

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If we have seen the end of 1-Up Yours though, at least they got a somewhat-good send-off with a two-part holiday show, and two Four Minute Warning segments.

I agree about that, I really hope they would get to do a goodbye show but I doubt that will happen now.

But hopefully we will see most of the regular podcasters in other podcasts.

Lothars on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lothars wrote: »

Hating something like casual games for just sake of it makes no sense whatsoever. Except if you are one of those manchilds who thinks he is fighting for "real gaming".

I think there's a bit more to it then him hating them for the sake of it. Sounds to me like you just hate him for the sake of it, imho.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mike Danger: Skip's gone. He just lost his dad a few weeks back too...

D: I started following him back durin' my GMR subscription. He's a righteous dude.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This. This is a question that needs answering.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These things never make a lick of sense, can you imagine being at the UGO corporate meeting the day after the aquisition if someone was there who actually cared or understood games...

"Good news boys! We just bought 1up.com for a real knock down price! We own it all!"

"Wow, what a savvy decision oh UGO boss, I can't wait to integrate our site into theirs and start getting the traffic that the 1up show is going to generate to our network!"

"What? The 1up show? That silly podcast, oh we shut that down and fired everyone. Same with all the other podcasts. Still, just think of it, we now have all their traffic to us!"

Seriously, its as if I bought Ferrari and said we aren't going to make sports cars, or Toyota and said I was going to scrap the Prius. People went to 1up for the 1up show!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

This. This is a question that needs answering.

I used to buy GamePro when I was like 12. I had fun with it then.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    These things never make a lick of sense, can you imagine being at the UGO corporate meeting the day after the aquisition if someone was there who actually cared or understood games...

"Good news boys! We just bought 1up.com for a real knock down price! We own it all!"

"Wow, what a savvy decision oh UGO boss, I can't wait to integrate our site into theirs and start getting the traffic that the 1up show is going to generate to our network!"

"What? The 1up show? That silly podcast, oh we shut that down and fired everyone. Same with all the other podcasts. Still, just think of it, we now have all their traffic to us!"

Seriously, its as if I bought Ferrari and said we aren't going to make sports cars, or Toyota and said I was going to scrap the Prius. People went to 1up for the 1up show!
    I can't help but agree more. Its really obvious that the buy out wasn't done for the sake of there content, but the fact that people know the name 1up.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The only reason I ever went to 1-Up was, indeed, what I had heard about the 1-Up Show. After that I discovered 1-Up Yours and Bonus Round and fell in love.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only reason I ever went to 1-Up was, indeed, what I had heard about the 1-Up Show. After that I discovered 1-Up Yours and Bonus Round and fell in love.

Exactly, 1up.com should have been called www.the-1up-show.com, buying it and not keeping the 1up show is mad, it's what brought people to the site! The 1up show is why I've heard of them and not UGO (who the hell is UGO? Is there a UGO show?)

Bah, I'm going back to IGN. In this game of eat the little guy, I'm going to be in the corner of the horrifying mutant ogre, I never liked good content anyway...

edit - Wow, I just went to UGO.com, thats the most hideously laid out website I've ever seen.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit, that UGO site has an animated ad taking over half the front page.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't wanna go to work today.
    I want to stay home and play all my videogames.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bonus Round wasn't at 1UP, it's at Gametrailers.com (and it's terrible).

Also, Garnett mentioned that they'll continue to 'confirm weekends' so I'm guessing that 1UP Yours will stick around in some form. Who knows if it'll be any good though, with Shane and Skip gone. None of the 1UP FM or LAN Party crew are still around though (apart from Tina), so they're definitely gone.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So there are plenty of (arguably better) replacements for various 1up podcasts, but what about the 1up show? Are there any good video podcasts out there? GTTV?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png