As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

1up.com sold to UGO/Hearst; EGM shut down. Yes, the podcasts too.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only reason I ever went to 1-Up was, indeed, what I had heard about the 1-Up Show. After that I discovered 1-Up Yours and Bonus Round and fell in love.

Bonus Round wasn't at 1UP, it's at Gametrailers.com (and it's terrible).

Ah, sorry, got it mixed up. My current iPod subscriptions were 1-Up Show, 1-Up Yours, Bonus Round and GameTrailers reviews, so I just kinda bunched Bonus Round in there.

It's not that great, but I do like Michael Pachter, and they regularly have N'Gai Croal on there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a punch to the gut. The crew there are good people, and the industry took one fuck of a blow today.

Kami on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man what the fuck? "Okay, let's put a huge ad that covers half the screen and that if you roll over, it talks.

I hate UGO for it's stupid cool gamer attitude. Not only that, they hardly do anything useful. I cannot even think of the last time someone linked me to an article on UGO.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The writing's been on the wall for a while. But that doesn't make this news any easier. I loved the crew they've had for the past 3 years or so, until Jeff and Shawn were there I was going to the site regularly. Recently not so much, but this is just a bloodbath. Nothing worth reading - except maybe Parish's stuff - nothing to watch, and nothing to listen to. Great job ziff/ugo.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you analyse GameTrailers carefully, you'll see the screen is like 50% ads. Worse, all trailers are really ads anyway. Remember those "tv spots". I admit, I fell for the first 10, sometimes that has to do with "OMG gaming has gone mainstream" but it's an ad! Bonus Round talks about ads, coming games, holiday shopping guide. The site is one giant ad for the gaming industry, it's just not fun. Even their podcast doesn't talk that much of anything original. Worse, with the way gaming PR is these days, you know all sites will have 100% of the same information, so what's the point? Go to the site with the most personality. 1Up was it, recently I go on Kotaku, or of course forums like these.

Also 1Up was like the only website to ever have a good design, what's so hard about it guys?

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Its just not 1up.com with out 1up yours, 1up show, 1up fm, Sports Anomaly, Legendary Thread, and GFW Radio (fuck that lan party name).

Oh, I don't know, I think UGO is all about 1up Yours now, though maybe not so much the 1...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gamepro is still around? Really? Who the hell is keeping that rag alive?

This. This is a question that needs answering.

I believe it's due to the magazine being low budget and cost effective. I believe it was made with recycled paper during the 90's, or maybe that was just their strategy guides.

It's amazing how much merchandise they managed to chug out. Strategy guides, videos, informercials, controllers. Hell, they even had action figures, including toys of their own mascot characters.

And all of it was terrible. And yet they still stand. It's unbelievable.
    JCRooks wrote:
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either.

How does that make him a fanboy? He's a fan of a company and wants to see them succeed?

And I think plenty of us here hate most of the casual Wii games as well. It's not like he dismisses all Wii games.

I feel the same as well, although it isn't a matter of hatred and fanboyism.

I want Sony to succeed more because I don't want any of their projects getting cancelled, ultimately keeping the PS3 from reaching its potential.

I want more Wii games that aren't catered to the casual "baby game" crowd so I have a reason to turn it on besides the occasional craving to replay Smash Bros or Mario Galaxy.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, GamePro used to have its own television channel. That's pretty sad right there.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ7W94XeeE

Also, they gave Xenogears a 2.

And the reviewer was named Boba Fett.

Never forget. Never forgive.

Oh, and I would love it if someone could find their "rap" commercial. It was some bullshit where they actually added in the input commands for Street Fighter in a rap song ("To the left, to the right, push the button and you'll win the fight!").

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hate UGO for it's stupid cool gamer attitude. Not only that, they hardly do anything useful.

Isn't that exactly what 1UP is? Whole site always felt like kid who was desperately trying to be cool. And their reviews were fucking joke, usually only few paragraphs long, and poorly written. Not to mention that they were horribly misinformed in many topics.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote:
    It was on a recent 1UP Yours that he admitted (to no one's surprise) that he is a longtime Sony fan and wants to see them succeed. And his hatred for the Wii "baby games" is no secret either.

How does that make him a fanboy? He's a fan of a company and wants to see them succeed?

Well, yes, being a fan of a company makes you a fanboy. :)

And don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad thing either. There are certainly many brands and companies that I am a fan of myself. If anything, I applaud Shane for at least being honest with his biases. I don't think it necessarily makes him a "bad journalist" outright either. But at least for me, it makes it harder to take him seriously at times. For example, you could almost make a drinking game out of him on the podcasts. Whenever someone talks about an XBLA or WiiWare game, and Shane starts comparing it or talking about a PSN game instead, take a drink. Whenever someone talks about Xbox LIVE and Shane brings up a conversation about Home or PSN, take a drink. Whenever someone talks about any game and Shane then segues into a Sony/PS3-exclusive game instead, take a drink. You'll be pretty smashed by the end.

It was something that was funny and goofy at first, but after a year of this and no Luke Smith (or similar person) to call him out on the podcast whenever he did this ... it really became tiring. I thought he was doing it because it was for show, but it turns out that's not exactly the case.

Thus, the cynic in me wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up taking a job somehow related to Sony (community, Qore, marketing, or with a first-party dev studio). And I don't think that's a bad thing at all, if that's what he's passionate about. More power to him!

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    I hate UGO for it's stupid cool gamer attitude. Not only that, they hardly do anything useful.

Isn't that exactly what 1UP was? Whole site always felt like kid who was desperately trying to be cool. And their reviews were fucking joke, usually only few paragraphs long, and poorly written. Not to mention that they were horribly misinformed in many topics.

Pfft, now that you mention it, "Game Damage's" pilot episode asked some WoW fagtwat who bragged that he had a girlfriend to review Warhammer Online and he spent like 10 seconds on it and said that "It basically has no soul..."

He didn't mention the insane crazy fun RvR or anything, not of the game's highlights or nothing nope.

'This game just sucks, avoid it. Also I am british, you can tell from my crooked teeth lol.'

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MatthewfuzeMatthewfuze Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    The last time I skimmed through an EGM was a couple months ago. It had a page with members of the EGM staff flipping the bird towards the reader.... good riddance

Matthewfuze on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't wanna go to work today.
    I want to stay home and play all my videogames.

I would lime this if I knew how.

1Up Show was great content and probably the closest I'd ever come to accept a TV show about video games.

And folks, people lost their job today. This is bigger than petty little accusations of fanboyism. I don't know about you, but being a gaming journalist was one of my dream jobs as a kid growing up. They were living that dream. For that-- at the very least-- my heart goes out to them and I wish them the best of luck.

It's a sad, sad day.

rchou on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »
    EGM should have folded long, long ago.

Man, don't read it if it's not up to your snuff...but a bunch of people are probably about to lose their jobs. Have some compassion and realize that not everything needs to exists to entertain you.

Sorry if that's harsh, but as a journalist, It's starting to make me sick seeing how hard some of my friends in the news industry have been hit.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Man, don't read it if it's not up to your snuff...but a bunch of people are probably about to lose their jobs. Have some compassion and realize that not everything needs to exists to entertain you.

Sorry if that's harsh, but as a journalist, It's starting to make me sick seeing how hard some of my friends in the news industry have been hit.

But you only care about this because you heard about it and because it relates to video games. A lot of small developers fold all the time and everyone just shrugs. A lot of other people are losing their jobs every day besides 1up. Why should we be any more concerned about this?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guess I'll try my luck with GiantBomb now, though I used to think they were boring and un-funny, what choice do I have now?

Just watched a couple of GiantBomb vidz and maybe Gerstmann is actually kinda funny. He looks like such a lazy, unhealthy slob though. Nowhere near as funny as the 1up crew though :(

Fuck I'm depressed. 1up podcasts were responsible for controlling my ADD for bicycle rides to and from work!

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do I have to post the Garnettismassivelydrunk.jpeg.

It's hardly fair to demean Gerstman for looking like a slob by comparison.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I miss seanbaby already. Dude's a god, and his column in egm was beast.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

But you only care about this because you heard about it and because it relates to video games. A lot of small developers fold all the time and everyone just shrugs. A lot of other people are losing their jobs every day besides 1up. Why should we be any more concerned about this?

That wasn't my point at all. I don't care if you're concerned or not about this issue...it's the 'this company/magazine/whatever should have 'gone under' a long time ago mentality that bothers me. The fact that this is videogame related it totally beside the point.

You're goddamn right other people are losing their jobs every day at other places besides 1up. When you grow up a little bit, you realize it's kind of shitty to wish that the entity they depend on to make their livelihood needs to 'just die already.'

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nick Suttner said "first episode of Rebel FM airs tomorrow", so I guess they have something planned.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

That wasn't my point at all. I don't care if you're concerned or not about this issue...it's the 'this company/magazine/whatever should have 'gone under' a long time ago mentality that bothers me. The fact that this is videogame related it totally beside the point.

You're goddamn right other people are losing their jobs every day at other places besides 1up. When you grow up a little bit, you realize it's kind of shitty to wish that the entity they depend on to make their livelihood needs to 'just die already.'

I think it's perfectly reasonable to wish some livelihoods would stop existing. Drug traffickers, for instance, or telemarketers. This is not a comparison to 1up, I just refuse to accept that all livelihoods are ok just because it helps somebody get through life.

Just as I dislike some livelihoods that are disruptive, annoying or harmful, I can understand if somebody else has the same feelings about a media source.

But above all, you need to understand that nobody is really saying "these people deserve to lose their jobs." When someone says EGM should've folded, they don't mean it should happen out of spite or nastiness, they mean because something about it was wrong that needed serious correction. In this case, mainly the fact that it was a print magazine in the internet age. EGM could've taken steps to change this and other lingering problems without losing most of its employees, but they didn't, and this is the consequence.

When someone says EGM should've folded long ago, they mean EGM should've changed into a better entity a long time ago, but a history of reluctance to change doesn't give people much hope for that.

But oh no, if they'd stopped being a print magazine, what about those poor paper distributers? :(

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Well. This fucking sucks.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All gaming sites have the same news, so I went to 1up for the personal touches they put in their writing of the same old stories. I liked their reviews too, though I would hardly base my decision to buy on them. They entertained me more than any other gaming site, so that will be missed.

I've been waiting for EGM to fold for ages. It was a fine mag as gaming mags go, but the fact remains it is printed on paper once a month, and that just doesn't seem like a money making venture these days. Also, it's best features - Afterthoughts and Quartermann - were usually posted on 1up, anyway.

It really sucks it had to happen this way, though.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Even if it's for their own egos more than a full time paycheck, I really hope a few of these folks consider podcasting as a side project.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It looks like Nick Suttner, Anthony Gallegos, and Phillip Kollar are already going to do another podcast titled Rebel FM.

SteevL on
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have an EGM sub, although I've never really visited 1up.com for any length of time. I like reading the rags when I'm on the train or on shift at work with nothing to do. First CGM and now this, so now all I'm left with is PC Gamer. I'll have to pick up PC Mag just to have something else to flip through when I'm bored, but pure tech articles don't excite me as much as exclusive previews of up-and-coming game titles.

Oh well. Age of the internet and all that.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    With all the more important members leaving 1UP, it seemed pretty clear this was coming. Still, damn, it's a bit of a shock.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...good fucking god. EGM dying before GamePro? Damn, what kind of unholy things go on at that magazine so that it stays in print and everything else dies off?

How many magazines does that leave, anyways? Nintendo Power, Official PlayStation (originally PSM), Official XBox, GamePro, Game Informer...

...all the good/cool magazines are gone now. I have a collection stretching back about fifteen years, and I always put the three I'd always find an excuse to re-read as Game Players/PSM/EGM. EGM's writing may have started to suck, but I'd read it over that tripe GamePro any day of the week.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dang, I just got into using 1up as a source for DS stuff. Eurogamer's not that great when it comes to portable stuff, and Pocket Gamer has the worst reviews. Where to now?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dang, I just got into using 1up as a source for DS stuff. Eurogamer's not that great when it comes to portable stuff, and Pocket Gamer has the worst reviews. Where to now?

Could always try Gamerankings and Metacritic. It's not going to have the reviews themselves, but at least you'll have a decent number of sites to choose from when a game comes out to make your choice from.

Aoi on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy fucking shit. I grew up reading EGM, and whether you enjoyed the content or not, you really should at least acknowledge that one of the most longstanding gaming publications is folding. That's unreal. I can understand why it's happening, but man, it sucks to see it go.

Good luck to that whole crew in their future endeavors.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aoi wrote: »

Could always try Gamerankings and Metacritic. It's not going to have the reviews themselves, but at least you'll have a decent number of sites to choose from when a game comes out to make your choice from.

I just hate Metacritic so much though, for what it's done to the industry. Oh your game's metacritic rating is less than 80? NO BONUS FOR YOU THEN. Ugh.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As people have pointed out, it boogles the mind that Gamepro seems to be outlasting every other magazine.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EGM was pretty awful whenever I came into contact with it, I can't complain about it going away.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They could sell 1up, egm, ign, gamespot/spy all of that, just bring back GFW Radio

WE WANT GFW RADIO!!

rfalias on
  • Options
    riposte101riposte101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EGM was getting to be mostly ads, but I liked that you felt their reviews were not influenced by game publishers. They were willing to take a stand.

riposte101 on
  • Options
    NoahnautNoahnaut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    EGM closing isn't surprising. Print is becoming progressively less viable every year.

I'm more than a little surprised by how much they gutted 1up though. I wonder why they think anyone is going to visit the site when none of the podcasts are there, the 1up show is gone, and a solid 3/4s of the personalities associated with EGM/1up are gone. I mean, I really only went there for podcasts...and now I will literally never go there because there's just no reason to. Maybe the people left at 1up will turn it around, but in the short term that place is going to take a massive beating in credibility.

Hopefully this will turn out for the best, with some sort of ex-1up people site launching like a phoenix rising from some metaphoric ashes. Fingers crossed.

Noahnaut on
  • Options
    FunnyFreakFunnyFreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ahh, EGM was my reading while pooping magazine. Now I need to find something else to read during that time then.

FunnyFreak on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Waaaait, no 1UP Show?
    Or Seanbaby and Broken Pixels?
    Awwwww...

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]