Options

Crazy hard games

MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighterDaehan MingukRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Alright, so let's talk about the games that are so hard that you want to tear your hair out, and yet you keep coming back for more. Recently I've been getting into old school action games and platformers, the harder the better. Jumper makes me want to tear my own face off, and I'm pretty sure that while playing I Wanna Be the Guy I suffered some sort of low-level aneurysm.

As far as console games go, God Hand is still pretty capably handing me my ass, but my collection needs more games that will punch me in the balls.

Games don't necessarily have to fall into the action/platformer genre either, as I've heard that games like Shiren the Wanderer are pretty damn punishing, but let's keep it restricted to more modern stuff. We all know that Battletoads is rape. I wanna know what's breaking your sanity NOW.

steam_sig.png
MundaneSoul on

• Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ninja Gaiden and Dwarf Fortress are the two most frustrating games I've ever played.

Honestly, I think my oXbox laughed at me every time I died in Ninja Gaiden.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Final Boss in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. GAH!! It took me something like 14 tries to beat it. I will NEVER play it again...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    dr_dandr_dan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ikaruga.

The only really hard game that I really enjoyed despite the fact that I'm still not that good at it.

dr_dan on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ninja Gaiden Black on the XBox, especially on Very Hard and up, is a perfect example of ridiculously challenging gameplay with an amazing reward. It and God Hand share the same philosophy with a very different core. When your enemies are so skilled that the only way for you to survive is to become a button-mashing machine of death, resulting in a whirlwind ballet of perfectly timed flying steel, improvised combos and screamed obscenities.

NGB has maybe 9 hours of gameplay. My first playthrough took 26 hours.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I still cannot, for the life of me, beat world 8 on Super Mario Bros 3.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. You will be fucked by ninjas.

Ninja Gaiden 2 for Xbox 360. Now the ninjas have rocket launchers.

Devil May Cry 3 and 4, especially beyond the normal difficulty settings. Not NG levels of hard, but still fucking hard.

Shinobi for PS2. You always have a time limit; you have to do very hard platforming sections involving wall running; you have to kill a bunch of enemies in a row to increase your damage potential for one hit, and if you don't do this right you won't do much damage to the boss at all. Most later levels involve all of the above. At one point you fight a blind samurai in a corridor full of water, and floating robots that shoot lasers at you. This may be the hardest 3d game I've ever played.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FrostyFrosty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Contra 4 definately

Frosty on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How is NGB as far as backwards compatability? Sounds like I need to pick it up.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Worked fine when I tossed it on my friends 360 about 7 months ago.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Frosty wrote: »
    Contra 4 definately

all the contra games, really, but Contra 4 is so fucking good.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dr_dan wrote: »
    Ikaruga.

The only really hard game that I really enjoyed despite the fact that I'm still not that good at it.

This. I went through the entire game without understanding the combo system. Then i finally realized what it took to get an A after studying a bunch of youtube videos.... I was like o_O at first, then i was all like D:.

I did eventually get A on the first level. I saved the replay because it will never happen again.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you need to be thinking about old, especially Spanish, Spectrum games, pretty much anything by Dinamics, like Navy Moves or Army Moves. They were die in the first 10 seconds hard.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, so I can either get Ninja Gaiden Black & Contra 4 or I can get Shiren the Wanderer with this paycheck.

I'm leaning towards NGB and Contra.

Which is the harder of the two most recent DMC games?

Has anyone else played Jumper? This is one of the EARLY levels.

jumper.png

Each of the yellow arrows allows an extra jump, and the yellow lines kill instantly, while the red are harmless.

It takes about 20 perfectly-timed jumps to beat that level. I cried.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Isn't that available for download on the XBox Originals? Since the XBOs are just disc images, I would imagine that compatibility is pretty good.

I really like the Ninja-Turtles-Cowabunga style of DMC, but for my money NG is a more tightly woven game.. I can't speak for NG2, though.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DMC3 is harder than 4, but only marginally. 4 gives you two characters, much better graphics, better character customization (you can re-spec, basically), and the difficulty levels you unlock are just as hard as DMC3.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DMC3 is harder than 4, but only marginally. 4 gives you two characters, much better graphics, better character customization (you can re-spec, basically), and the difficulty levels you unlock are just as hard as DMC3.

I've been having a harder with 4 than 3. It's not as fluid and dodging attacks seems harder.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm curious to why people play a game that makes them want to commit suicide..? I hate playing games that are overly hard because it's not hard because it's HARD it's hard because it's cheap. Cheap deaths are the worst deaths.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    F-Zero GX is stupid hard, but through playing it a lot, I got really good at it. Managed to unlock the AX tracks, but Story mode on Very Hard can fuck off.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm curious to why people play a game that makes them want to commit suicide..? I hate playing games that are overly hard because it's not hard because it's HARD it's hard because it's cheap. Cheap deaths are the worst deaths.

There are games that are hard as fuck without being cheap. Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Ikaruga etc.

EDIT: Also, DMC4 has swords that rev up via Motorcycle handles and then catch fire.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Faffel wrote: »

There are games that are hard as fuck without being cheap. Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Ikaruga etc.

Oh c'mon... NG not cheap? Ikaruga not cheap? Have you SEEN the last level?!

Never played God Hand before but I'm sure there are tons of cheap moments.

urahonky on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DMC4 felt easier than DMC3 to me, but if you want real "crazy hard" the first DMC wins hands-down anyway. On the harder difficulties the boss battles in that game will just utterly crush you unless you know exactly what you're doing, and you can't even abuse healing items like you can in the other DMC games.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ninja Gaiden was not cheap at all and I went back to play through it up to Very Hard. If you die in a game because the enemies are on-par with you, it's not cheap. Suck it up, baby.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm still enjoying having my ass handed to me in Spelunky. Good stuff - and free, too.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ninja Gaiden was not cheap at all and I went back to play through it up to Very Hard. If you die in a game because the enemies are on-par with you, it's not cheap. Suck it up, baby.

I assume you're talking about the xbox version or whatever, and not the NES versions... Because the NES versions DEFINED cheap deaths for me. The xbox versions -- You're telling me not one boss in the game is cheap?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I assume you're talking about the xbox version or whatever, and not the NES versions... Because the NES versions DEFINED cheap deaths for me. The xbox versions -- You're telling me not one boss in the game is cheap?

Oh the old ones were cheap as fuck. As for the XBox one... no, not really. The only boss who ever frustrated me was the very last one and that was because I couldn't figure out how to fight him immediately. I never beat NG2 but what I played of it was too easy compared to the first.

The very first Murai fight was cheap, but not for how he fought. I think the reliable way to kill him is cheap... run up wall, slash, repeat.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ninja Gaiden vs Ninja Gaiden 2 is an excellent example of hard vs cheap.

NG2 is a fine game, and I enjoy it, but there are a lot of levels that have masses of ranged enemies - machineguns and rocketlaunchers, mostly - along with melee enemies that are swarming you. On top of that, all later enemies will throw you fairly often, and for the most part, there is no indication that a throw is about to take place (or the indication is almost unnoticeable). This just isn't fun.

On top of that, the camera (a major problem in all 3d action games) is much worse than in NG1 or similar games - in fact, it seems like it actively wants to look away from the enemies. I spend most of my time in a fight with no idea where the enemies are except "behind me."

The bosses throw you even more often, with very little indication of their intent. The game is extremely throw happy. This forces you to basically never attack with an actual combo, just stick and move, which is not nearly as fun as NG1's flowing combo-to-combo, rolling, wall-running deliciousness.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wanna be the guy? It's even free.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Contra III
    Ninja Gaiden (NES)
    Mega Man 9

And the king of impossible games:

BATTLETOADS!!!!!!

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ninja Gaiden vs Ninja Gaiden 2 is an excellent example of hard vs cheap.

NG2 is a fine game, and I enjoy it, but there are a lot of levels that have masses of ranged enemies - machineguns and rocketlaunchers, mostly - along with melee enemies that are swarming you. On top of that, all later enemies will throw you fairly often, and for the most part, there is no indication that a throw is about to take place (or the indication is almost unnoticeable). This just isn't fun.

On top of that, the camera (a major problem in all 3d action games) is much worse than in NG1 or similar games - in fact, it seems like it actively wants to look away from the enemies. I spend most of my time in a fight with no idea where the enemies are except "behind me."

The bosses throw you even more often, with very little indication of their intent. The game is extremely throw happy. This forces you to basically never attack with an actual combo, just stick and move, which is not nearly as fun as NG1's flowing combo-to-combo, rolling, wall-running deliciousness.

My kingdom for a NGB gore mod.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Far cry 2
    While most of the combat is easy things get difficult when shotgun weilding miltants spawn right behind you.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would also like to post actionbutton.net's summary of what, at its core, Ninja Gaiden is.
    Ninja Gaiden II is a game about a Kevlar-coated bulletproof ninja flipping and cartwheeling, steel shinging against steel with tambourine rapidity, limbs filing restraining orders against sockets amidst an orchestra of circus strongmen tearing wet cabbages in half with their bare hands; Ninja Gaiden II is a terrifying latex lump of undulating bodies struggling to kill the avatar in the center of the screen; it is flipping, jumping, running up walls; it is shing-shing-shing and the stunted screams of sudden sequential serial decapitations; it is geysers of blood and and flipping crazy demon-men wielding tools of execution.

This is why hard games are awesome. The frantic, screaming hordes of death do not have the same threat, and you do not feel like the blood-spattered god of destruction that you are, if the game is not hard, if there is no challenge in wresting the heads of your enemies from their bodies in glorious battle.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Those damn imp/devil guys in the final dungeon make me wanna slam forks into my face.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would also like to post actionbutton.net's summary of what, at its core, Ninja Gaiden is.
    Ninja Gaiden II is a game about a Kevlar-coated bulletproof ninja flipping and cartwheeling, steel shinging against steel with tambourine rapidity, limbs filing restraining orders against sockets amidst an orchestra of circus strongmen tearing wet cabbages in half with their bare hands; Ninja Gaiden II is a terrifying latex lump of undulating bodies struggling to kill the avatar in the center of the screen; it is flipping, jumping, running up walls; it is shing-shing-shing and the stunted screams of sudden sequential serial decapitations; it is geysers of blood and and flipping crazy demon-men wielding tools of execution.

This is why hard games are awesome. The frantic, screaming hordes of death do not have the same threat, and you do not feel like the blood-spattered god of destruction that you are, if the game is not hard, if there is no challenge in wresting the heads of your enemies from their bodies in glorious battle.

That quote and your post are fantastic and perfectly lay out why hard games rock.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm playing Metal Slug 7 right now. It's pretty damn tough. But tough in that awesome way that makes you keep coming back for more as you get progressively better. The nice thing about Slug 7 is that once you get to a level at any point, when you come back to the game you can choose that level to start playing. It kind of lets you practice certain levels, or if you're not very good you can just pick up from your most recent level with more lives/continues. It also has a very long list of Training Missions to do, which is actually very fun and very challenging, and adds a lot of replay value to the game. (kind of like the Challenges in Contra 4)

I have to say that one of my favorite NDS games ever is Contra 4 though.

So beautiful, so perfectly well constructed, with such an excellent difficulty curve, and with all those challenges to train you for and add bonus content... plus it comes with the NES versions of Contra 1 and Super C!

Can't go wrong with that, esepcially at $20.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some Metal Slug games should go in this thread.

edit: And Ninja Gaiden for the oxbox is rad. It's not cheap, you'll usually know what you did wrong for the most part.

Drake on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Those damn imp/devil guys in the final dungeon make me wanna slam forks into my face.

Ghosts and Goblins was just as bad. You finally finish the game after level after level of horribly difficult enemies, just to find out that you have to finish the game all the way through a second time in order to get the real ending.

I threw my controller down in a fit of rage, and never touched the game again.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You've actually seen passed the first level? By the time I make it to the end of the first level I run out of lives. Fucking game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    N belongs in this thread.

jothki on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For me right now it's Mega Man 9.

While not having the insane number of enemies on screen each of which will easily kill you like Ninja Gaiden. Mega Man instead focuses on making pixel perfect platforming and attacks. However it manages not to be cheap and when you die you know it's your own fault for sucking so much.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    Alien QueenAlien Queen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember the original Ecco the Dolphin was pretty hard, also has anyone tried the version on Dreamcast/PS2? That was crazy hard too imo (one seizure later, I managed to complete it....oh my that last boss was horrible!)

Alien Queen on
    3DS: 4742 5205 9601 - Boss Lady - Pokemon Y - In game name: Kira