As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game covers as art - NSF56K

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    But he doesn't. Well, not officially at least. Another World's ending is open-ended.

If you take into account the non-creator-approved Heart of the Alien, then yes, Lester is very dead.
    Even ignoring Heart of the Alien, he's seriously wounded on a hostile alien world. I doubt he would manage to recover on his own. In any case, I choose to believe he died :P

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll agree that the US SNES art is definitely worse, but I'd say it's a nice, simple design. Doesn't mean much on its own, but it doesn't go off on crazy, unrelated tangents.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll never understand why, when making covers, so often they hire hacks who can't draw. It's most obvious on Disney knock-off movies, but even with official titles you get art that looks like someone who's never picked up a pencil was trying to draw from a reference, then applied cheap gradient colouring in Photoshop. Covers should look better than the source, not worse.

Glal on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    ShadowOfTheBeast.jpg

that one kicks ass

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But tell me, were those Psygnosis games any good?

Not to mention the fact that the covers have nothing to do with the game inside. That was the kind of thing that pissed me off pretty bad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Knock yourself out. It was basically a "Star Control"-esque game - trading, diplomacy, exploration and war - and spiritually the third installment of the Starflight series. Which I was raised on. I swear, in many respects the character portraits - and their animations - in that game were years ahead of their time.

1187322333-00.png

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck i swear i had this nightmare once

Most of the time, no. But they tended to have pretty kickass music to make up for it!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SpiralJacobsSpiralJacobs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    SpiralJacobs, I'm just wondering. Have you even looked at your previous posts to see if the linking works? I mean, I'm not even bringing up your triple posting, but at least just your, you know, post quality.

I sure did. When I posted, the box art was their in all it's glory. So no, it wasn't a triple post, it was three different boxes, and they've been fixed.

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Not to mention the fact that the covers have nothing to do with the game inside. That was the kind of thing that pissed me off pretty bad.

Yeah, they were pretty good games, if a bit too hard. Shadow of the Beast 1 was a showpiece for the Amiga, but the one hit kills were maddening. I really loved Obliterator, though. Amazing music. The art for the Psygnosis games and logo is by Roger Dean, famous for his album covers.

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Amiga_the_secret_of_monkey_island.jpg
    u5.jpg
    AnotherWorld_Cover_960.jpg
    564681_29629_front.jpg
    Neuromancer1988.jpg
    x_wing.jpg
    517868_44388_front.jpg

Probably my favorite cover art of all time:
    cover_front.jpg

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gather round the campfire children, and I will tell you of the terrifying Spiiiiral Jaaaacobs, who could only post in threes...

edit: Here's another from the Age of Many Good Boxes, though this one is a lot more minimalistic:
    deuterosou8.jpg

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    51yn5.jpg

Another favorite box of mine.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gather round the campfire children, and I will tell you of the terrifying Spiiiiral Jaaaacobs, who could only post in threes...

I'm not sure what it is about the internet makes people act like douchbags. I didn't realize that there is a moratorium on multiple posts.

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only beef we have here (and other forums, really) is you can get that done in one post. It isn't all that hard to do.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    The only beef we have here (and other forums, really) is you can get that done in one post. It isn't all that hard to do.
    Gotcha. Will do. It was more of an issue of it being late, and remembering a cool game box right after posting. And that happening twice, haha.

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Gotcha. Will do. It was more of an issue of it being late, and remembering a cool game box right after posting. And that happening twice, haha.

Don't sweat it. Just don't make it a habit. :P

Also, we have an edit button as well. Don't be afraid to use it like I just did.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm not sure what it is about the internet makes people act like douchbags.

Man, I wasn't trying to be a douchebag. I just found it pretty funny that your post replying to someone mentioning your triple posting... was itself part of a triple post. :)

Besides, I'm just about as big a Mieville fan as you'll find on the board, so you're automatically okay in my book.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Amiga_the_secret_of_monkey_island.jpg
    u5.jpg
    AnotherWorld_Cover_960.jpg

I'm the biggest MI fan, but that first cover I've always found utterly terrible except for the font, which is glorious.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Man, I wasn't trying to be a douchebag. I just found it pretty funny that your post replying to someone mentioning your triple posting... was itself part of a triple post. :)

Besides, I'm just about as big a Mieville fan as you'll find on the board, so you're automatically okay in my book.

Yeah, the post made me laugh out loud, to be honest.

I really like that Ultima V cover, but what is that white-haired man doing?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ha! Sorry, I take back the douchebag bit. Anyone who loves Mieville has to be cool. It's a law, or something. Anyway, yeah, just a bit touchy this morning. Sorry about that. :oops:

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    50/50. The mechanics of most haven't aged that well, but the music and art have held up rather well.

And at this point it's been so many pages that I've started forgetting what was posted, so possible duplicates ahoy.

ecstaticagm2.jpgpyrotechnicanc5.jpg

Glal on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wow, those two are fantastic. Love the way PYRO is just covered in fire, really sells the PYRO.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »

If you look closely at his chest, you'll notice what I guess is a magic arrow sticking out through his ribs. I guess he's hurt and thinking "Dammit I knew I should have brought some Preparation-H!"

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »

If you look closely at his chest, you'll notice what I guess is a magic arrow sticking out through his ribs. I guess he's hurt and thinking "Dammit I knew I should have brought some Preparation-H!"

Haha, I guess I didn't see the blood the first time, I just assumed he was waving around some silly little glowing wand.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I'll never understand why, when making covers, so often they hire hacks who can't draw. It's most obvious on Disney knock-off movies, but even with official titles you get art that looks like someone who's never picked up a pencil was trying to draw from a reference, then applied cheap gradient colouring in Photoshop. Covers should look better than the source, not worse.

animaldancece8.gif

:U

Also, SpiralJacobs is an excellent username :^:

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Probably my favorite cover art of all time:
    cover_front.jpg

That would look so bad ass if it was screen printed or digitally printed on the right kind of material...and without the company logos :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »

:U

Also, SpiralJacobs is an excellent username :^:

Why, thank you! I've always thought so. A very cool, enigmatic character from an excellent novel, written by a fantastic author.
    Egos wrote: »

That would look so bad ass if it was screen printed or digitally printed on the right kind of material...and without the company logos :)

I definitely agree. I would love to have this as an art print. Badass art, for a badass game.

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    517868_44388_front.jpg

Eh...

rez_packaging.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZenostarZenostar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    air-traffic-chaos-ds.jpg

Legendary.

Zenostar on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like how the left plane is actually very tiny and flying inside the tower while the right one is doing a barrel roll 30 feet above the runway.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that is one optimistic motherfucker

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    except those are beads of sweat coming off his forehead aren't they/

Egos on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    also poor Panzer Dragoon

Japan- win
    panzerkq2.jpg

the rest of US- suck
    Panzer_Dragoon_Coverart.png

"from wiki"
    One of Panzer Dragoon's major artistic influences was Moebius' (Jean Giraud) Arzach, a comic book series created by the French artist. He even contributed in the creative process of Team Andromeda's game with original artwork.

So the US version got rid of Moebius artwork in favor of....girl with gun on dragon in polygons :(

Panzer Dragoon is a pretty cheap Japanese import here in the US. I got it for $5 at Luna Games while visiting in San Diego and I already had a Saturn import adapter (under $3 from Gamers in Carrollton, GA). I thought it sounded too cheap until I checked the values online. Works great on both of my SEGA Saturns that I got for $10-15 at Goodwill (with $0.50 3rd-party RF adapters from Gamers). Even if you don't have an import adapter, the DIY import mod on gamesx.com looks pretty easy. Alternatively, you could also get an Action Replay or a different Datel device that gives memory, import adapter, and Action Replay all in one.
    Glal wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    DisposableHero2.jpg
    That's amazing. I would have bought that off the shelf without having even heard of the game before.

[edit] It also gives me the strangest feeling of Deja Vu. Possible that I remember it from a gaming mag...

[edit 2] Oh god, it's like eyesex.

I saw that on the cover of a sci-fi novel left on someone's workspace at work several years ago. I worked security on the midnight shift, so I didn't know him but he'd have a new stack of cheesy sci-fi books with crazy art every week. I never recognized ANY of it and couldn't possibly imagine how so much of it existed... it was like he was in every romance novel subscription club except they always sent him one-off sci-fi novels instead. No Asimov, Verne, or Chichton sci-fi and no commercialized Star Wars/Trek sci-fi either... just all the weird stuff with some crazy, most corny, sometimes awesome, art.
    Also, this might one have a few detractors, but;
    the_orange_box_pc_dvd_box_art.jpg
    It's just so unique, which is why I like it. Also, it stands out SO much on store shelves cause it's bright fucking orange. Awesome.

Actually, I haven't seen an orange-cased copy of Orange Box in the US since shortly after launch. Even on launch day I noticed that some retailers only had black-cased copies of Orange Box while even the orange-cased retailers had some in black cases (at least Best Buy had both). ALL seemed to become exclusively black after the first shipment.

It was such a cool gimmick too. :(
    SpiralJacobs, I'm just wondering. Have you even looked at your previous posts to see if the linking works? I mean, I'm not even bringing up your triple posting, but at least just your, you know, post quality.

Both the PC and the ISP cache the image from when it was recently successfully loaded, so even clearing the local cache and hitting refresh usually won't show him what we see. Never had that problem before, huh?

CZroe on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zenostar wrote: »
    air-traffic-chaos-ds.jpg

Legendary.

You really have to take has word for it.

Alternate, hahaha... what?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    JasonR66JasonR66 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

386-1.jpg

Snatcher

snatcher-suda-1.jpg

Vay

vay.jpg

Flashback

GENCOVER.jpg

Dune: The Battle for Arrakis

Dune-Game-Battle-Genesis.jpg

JasonR66 on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    One of my favorite games for artistic style.
    psychonauts.jpg

The matador level alone made me play it again.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apologies if these have already been posted...

Cncra-win-cover.jpg

CnC-RA3-win-cover.jpg
    5030946066650.jpg

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    also,

freespace.jpg
    Freespace2box.jpg

I loved the CD case for Freespace 1, and how it folded out to reveal the full length of the Lucifer compared to your little spacefighter...kind of a big deal at the time.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know this one I actually kinda like.

boxart-mm1-eu.jpg

Same, actually.

So, let's see... submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society:

Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
    America and Japan:
    IGPSPU095.jpg

spd_20060711140519_b.jpg

Edit: Dammit, too many others came up after I edited this. Making a new post.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2009
    Pikmin_2_Case.jpgboxlhx0.jpg

Opium on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I rather like both of those actually.

But wait, that looks like the US version twice...?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png