Options

Game covers as art - NSF56K

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't find a picture of it online, but Braid's "cover art" is really pretty.

boxbraid.jpg

I found a slightly bigger version of it:
    cboxbraid.jpg

Peewi on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've always liked this one:

boxfrontqm1.jpg

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I so dislike that intrusive PS3/360 bar they've imposed on all game covers. Sure, it's easy to distinguish what you're dealing with, but it's a big chunk that could be used for extra art. And a more cohesive look.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ugh really, it just HAD to be posted.
    ico-jp-cover-1.jpg

I love the Ico cover, but always felt they blatantly they stole it from De Chirico:

Giorgio-de-Chirico-Melancholy-and-Mystery-of-a-street.jpg

12379-004-44216747.jpg

GiorgioDeChiricoPizaaDItali.jpg

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ugh really, it just HAD to be posted.
    *ico cover*

I love the Ico cover, but always felt they blatantly they stole it from De Chirico:

snip

snip

snip
    Well Fumito Ueda has admitted himself that the cover was imspired by De Chirico. Specifically "The Nostalgia of the Infinite":
    TheNostalgiaoftheInfinite.jpg

Hakunin on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, obviously. But to me that doesn't decrease its value as a game cover or, arguably, even as a piece of art.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hakunin wrote: »
    Well Fumito Ueda has admitted himself that the cover was imspired by De Chirico. Specifically "The Nostalgia of the Infinite":
    TheNostalgiaoftheInfinite.jpg

I hadn't read that Ueda mentioned the De Chirico work as his inspiration - if that's the case, then i'd definitely retract the 'stolen' sentiment and replace it with 'good idea'. :)

Regardless, it's still an awesome game cover.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    4190NFKGC9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Come on. It's not that bad.

And probably one of my fav games.
    megaman3poster.gif

And I loved the American version better. It's on the right.

nes_megaman3_cib_palusa.jpg

GROIN SHOT!

Edit: Holy crap, this site has lots of games, and lots of games have pics of each different box art.
    http://www.retropelihuolto.com/kokoelma.htm

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god it's like Hard Man's trying to squeeze a ham out of there D:

And since I'm posting here, something related to some of the covers I've seen in here: am I the only person who immedietly thinks that anybody on a cover doing the whole "I'm king of the world" thing like the dude on the Another World cover is a douchebag? Just curious.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why does Spark Man and Needle Man (I think that's their names, right?) have normal robot faces, and everyone else has those fucking awkward people faces

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why does Spark Man and Needle Man (I think that's their names, right?) have normal robot faces, and everyone else has those fucking awkward people faces

Because its awesome.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's kinda creepy staring at their indifferent indistinguishable faces. It's like they are just programmed to kill you, and they don't mind being destroyed in the process. There's no emotion or attitude involved, just another worker (which they were, in the spirit of that universe) in the wrong place at the wrong time.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Going to post a bunch of epic 80s/90s cover art. Sadly, this style has been lost in the echoes of time, replaced with floating heads and torsos.
    250px-Alien_Breed_cover_art.jpg
    250px-Darkseed.jpg
    800px-shadowofthebeast.jpg
    lcover2.jpg
    DisposableHero2.jpg
    ShadowOfTheBeast3_b1.jpg
    baalam0f.jpg
    bratacas.jpg
    commodore-amiga-terrorpods.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    katakis.png
    lcover.jpg
    u3boxl.jpg
    cover_front.jpg

And just so people don't miss it

transarctica.jpg

Best cover art ever.

Cherrn I am simultaneously angry with you because those are my favourite covers dammit and I was literally just coming in here to post them, especially Transarctica - and also very relieved that I don't have to upload them all to ImageShack. <3

Still, man, the Amiga era was so...

lcovergi6.jpg

(ironically this game was absolutely rubbish)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    [edit 2] Oh god, it's like eyesex.

Holy crap, this guy is amazing. Every game that's set in space should license his art.

Man, this guy is awesome.

I don't know why but they somehow remind me of the Ender's Game book covers.

If these are the covers you're thinking of:
    qmjhmass2009drunkardswapj1.jpg

... Then the guy who did them is called John Harris, and he's one of my all-time favourite painters. The book covers look similar to Roger Dean and John Berkey's stuff because they're basically all from the same 70's/80's airbrush art period. I really really miss that aesthetic. I mean, compare those fuckers to Fallout 3's cover, which couldn't look more like it fell out of Photoshop if it had half a dozen lensflares. Yawn.

The AWESOME cover above is the only of Harris's paintings that I know of that was used on a videogame.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like the designs of the ship and the buildings and such in that painting but something about the colors really doesn't do it for me.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I find these two kind of cool even though they're very much more on the camp spaceships-and-lazers-and-aliens end of the scale:
    protostarji3.jpg

starflight2hf7.jpg

Protostar had some gorgeous in-game pixelwork, too.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cherrn I am simultaneously angry with you because those are my favourite covers dammit and I was literally just coming in here to post them, especially Transarctica - and also very relieved that I don't have to upload them all to ImageShack. <3

Well, I'm glad you did post, because I forgot all about the Awesome box art. I was trying to remember the name, but I came up empty.

Thank you. It's an, err... great piece of art.
    ... Then the guy who did them is called John Harris, and he's one of my all-time favourite painters. The book covers look similar to Roger Dean and John Berkey's stuff because they're basically all from the same 70's/80's airbrush art period. I really really miss that aesthetic. I mean, compare those fuckers to Fallout 3's cover, which couldn't look more like it fell out of Photoshop if it had half a dozen lensflares. Yawn.

The AWESOME cover above is the only of Harris's paintings that I know of that was used on a videogame.

Can you recommend any artbooks that feature this kind of style? I tried hunting down John Berkey's stuff, but it seems to be out of print and fairly expensive.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Can you recommend any artbooks that feature this kind of style? I tried hunting down John Berkey's stuff, but it seems to be out of print and fairly expensive.

I'm afraid I'm on the same hunt myself - all I've found so far in the way of proper artbooks is John Harris's Mass, which I was surprised to find had been sitting, slightly damaged, in my local library this entire time. It was cool but ultimately disappointing, because there were really only one or two images in it that I didn't have on my harddrive already. I haven't seen anything else available yet that tackles the same kind of stuff. Roger Dean has a few books out which include his stuff for Psygnosis but I've never gotten my hands on them.

In terms of artists to look up on the net, well, there's Roger Dean, but there's not much to see. There's Chris Foss, who you might try. You might also like Syd Mead's more painterly stuff, but I've found precious little of it.

I'll be frank: we've been spoiled. There ultimately isn't that much stuff in that style that's as good as Berkey, Dean, and Harris. At least, that I've come across. If you find anything cool, let me know.

edit: You might like the more contemporary Sparth; he has a lot of cool concepts but his style is a lot more digital than you seem to be looking for.

There's also a few Harris images here.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh Quake era, when everything was gritty and dark...now only Clive Barker carries the torch

hexen.jpg

Egos on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    edit: You might like the more contemporary Sparth; he has a lot of cool concepts but his style is a lot more digital than you seem to be looking for.

Nah, this guy is pretty awesome, though, yeah, clearly a different style. Thanks for all the other stuff, I'll be sure to check it out. There is another dude, who used to do concept art for NASA or something along those lines in the 70s. He made some pretty awesome concepts of space colonies and the like. I forget the name, but I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Edit: Didn't take me long. Maybe you know of it already.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The space boxarts just reminded me of a gem.

Wc3boxart.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1243-1.jpg

Told you everything you need to know.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    moby!!

Told you everything you need to know.

You damn right Mobygames.com told us everything we need to know.

they've done it about 4 times so far in this thread.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Haha I changed it as soon as I posted it, for some reason it popped into my head that they one of the websites that don't like images being hosted on forums.

They do have a mighty fine collection though.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpiralJacobsSpiralJacobs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    608563-ultima4_1__large.jpg

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    12-1.jpg

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Eye_of_the_Beholder_I_PC_box.jpeg

SpiralJacobs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aha! Vindicated

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hah! That's pretty impressive.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    At this point I'm convinced that Moby Games and Impawards exist solely to trip up people that want to hotlink images of game boxes or movie posters, because that's the only context I've ever seen those two websites in.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wikipedia is the first place I check for boxart images.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SpiralJacobs, I'm just wondering. Have you even looked at your previous posts to see if the linking works? I mean, I'm not even bringing up your triple posting, but at least just your, you know, post quality.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You may be noticing a theme in the images I post.

These are the games of my childhood dammit
    93379471200do8.jpg
    UK cover. Wonderful in its own wonky, stilted way.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JESUS, I LOVE ME SOME HOTLINKED MOBYGAMES IMAGES INSTEAD OF BOXART.
    Maybe you should stop doing it, Fuckwit.

Contribution:
    lament.jpg

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You may be noticing a theme in the images I post.

These are the games of my childhood dammit

*snip*

UK cover. Wonderful in its own wonky, stilted way.

I like it.
    I find these two kind of cool even though they're very much more on the camp spaceships-and-lazers-and-aliens end of the scale:
    protostarji3.jpg

Now this one. I really love. Nothing says speed like a huge wake fanning out behind you. I want to see this game now.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    And since I'm posting here, something related to some of the covers I've seen in here: am I the only person who immedietly thinks that anybody on a cover doing the whole "I'm king of the world" thing like the dude on the Another World cover is a douchebag? Just curious.
    I think he's actually screaming at them, "You alien FUCKS! Why dont' you have any TOILETS?" Thinking he's king of the world doesn't make since since
    he dies at the end of the game.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this guy also was the cover art of pretty much ever Ender novel ever.

woops, I am drunk and far too late.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    I think he's actually screaming at them, "You alien FUCKS! Why dont' you have any TOILETS?" Thinking he's king of the world doesn't make since since
    he dies at the end of the game.
    But he doesn't. Well, not officially at least. Another World's ending is open-ended.

If you take into account the non-creator-approved Heart of the Alien, then yes, Lester is very dead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    protostarji3.jpg

Now this one. I really love. Nothing says speed like a huge wake fanning out behind you. I want to see this game now.

107287481903nm2.png
    107288620300lu5.gif

107288614500np0.gif

107287481909bf2.png

107287481804bl5.png

Knock yourself out. It was basically a "Star Control"-esque game - trading, diplomacy, exploration and war - and spiritually the third installment of the Starflight series. Which I was raised on. I swear, in many respects the character portraits - and their animations - in that game were years ahead of their time.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    In cover art fail, I have the Wii version of Okami - complete with IGN watermark

Speaking of which, did they ever send those replacement covers? I don't think I ever got mine.

Oh, also:
    Final_Fantasy_VI_Japanese_box.png

The original US box art is so bad. (Rest of this post is spoiler'ed. Don't click if you don't want to see the original US box art or hate Amato's art for whatever reason.)
    Original US:
    160px-Ff3usbox.gif
    The original US FF releases all used a sword for the 't' in "Fantasy" for whatever reason. While it at least has art on it (compare to the FF4 (2 US) art), it's a relatively minor character and a silhouette of Kefka, maybe? I don't know.)

The simple, yet classy GBA versions:
    FFVI-JP-gba.jpg
    600px-FF6AdvanceBoxArt.jpg

ASimPerson on