Options

I used to watch it all the time, but back then it was called [Japanimation]

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Digimon is Pokemon's lame little sister.

Godfather on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Is there really a significant difference between digimon and pokemon?

I mean... well... they're all -mon.

The name is the biggest similarity.
    Darn it Shrimpy why did you have to destroy my favorite childhood anime's reputation here. >:(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    They see us trollin'

They hatin'

Patrollin', tryin' to catch us rilin' Shrimpy

This post is perfect

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So hey how about that Soul Eater

how epic is the end battle going to be

I'm betting on so epic

I'm hoping for so much, I can't believe it's nearly over already.

Falx on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh?

I always thought that was an ongoing series ala how most shonen are.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Huh?

51 episodes. I hear it's doing pretty well, though, so we might get another season.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh?

51 episodes. I hear it's doing pretty well, though, so we might get another season.

Oh, so they're ending the anime series, but it's not covering everything the manga does.

I was confused for a bit there, as I assumed that this was going to be an ongoing thing ala Naruto/Bleach/etc, since the manga is still ongoing.

Mayhaps I'll give it another shot. I stopped after five episodes.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh?

Oh, so they're ending the anime series, but it's not covering everything the manga does.

I was confused for a bit there, as I assumed that this was going to be an ongoing thing ala Naruto/Bleach/etc, since the manga is still ongoing.

Mayhaps I'll give it another shot. I stopped after five episodes.

I think it diverged from the manga in the last episode or two; dunno, never read it. If you're looking for anything amazingly new, you won't find it here, but it's funny at times and has some nice animation.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you do watch it, apart from the very first excalibur episode, skip the rest. They all suck.

Falx on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I actually did a Large Writeup on the differences between Pokemon and Digimon, if any of you wanted to read it, I wrote it a while ago.

OH GOD WHY DID I JUST READ THAT MY EYES THEY BLEED

MEIN LIEBEN

On a more serious note, Claw: Cut it out with the fucking TVTropes bullshit already. Learn to articulate your thoughts in a manner that isn't just stealing internet catchphrases. TVTropes is a fun enough diversion, but the way your insipid "DIGIMON>POKEYMANS" dissertation just reached into the TVTropes bag and just threw them at the paper hoping they'd land in an order that made sense is lazy bullshit.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The fight next week in Ippo is going to be great.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Digimon is Pokemon's lame little sister.

If I was 12 again, I could write an 7 paragraph response that would prove your opinion to be objectively wrong.

I guess I agree with you now though.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This thread is depressing. Remember when we, as a group, denounced ClawShrimpy as a blight, a parasite that feeds on our discussion? We got a whole new script just to block his inane chatter. And now suddenly people are baiting him.

You remind me of cutters. Stop cutting yourself. Stop it!

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pokemon-
    Episodic, pokemon of the day. Ends with main in a championship with saving the world as a side story. campy and light hearted

Digimon-
    linear plot with digimon of the day. Plot ends with saving the world and the digital world. more serious about loss of characters

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm just happy my script works at home. :) It's bliss.

Then I'm at work. Cutting makes it feel better. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My script stops working every now and then for some reason, I got two full pages of time loop in the last thread just before the weekend.

Falx on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I loved Digimon as a kid. It doesn't compare to, say, Code Geass or Haruhi, but it's a good adventure story filled with some decently-presented cliches and drama. Granted, I haven't seen much outside of the first three series (series 4, where the humans evolve into Digimon, was surprisingly boring), but it was decent stuff.

I wouldn't watch it now with so many better things to dig, but it really is more than a poor man's Pokemon. That's really like saying that GaoGaiGar is a poor man's Gundam just because they both feature mechs.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember when I first saw an ad for the Digimon anime. I was all like "HOLY SHIT FOR REALZIES?!"

I watched one episode and immediately lost all interest.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I watched it for a few episodes, but the horrific dub combined with the absurd yelling of "DIGIVOLVE!" and similar nonsense drove me off. I dug the quirky world they were tossed into, but there was fuck-all of interest going on in the first 10 episodes, and far too much pain to tolerate.
    Kelor wrote: »
    Every fight in Ippo is great.

Glal on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    When I first saw Digimon I was, like, ten, which is not an age where one intellectually compares the values of dubbed anime to the superior language of Nippon, so I loved it.

It helped that even the first season got away with a lot of stuff. Hell, they managed to sneak a reference to Satan on Fox Kids of all things.

Rust on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    When I first saw Digimon I was, like, ten, which is not an age where one intellectually compares the values of dubbed anime to the superior language of Nippon, so I loved it.

It helped that even the first season got away with a lot of stuff. Hell, they managed to sneak a reference to Satan on Fox Kids of all things.

By the time the 2nd Series (Digimon Adventure 02) came around, I was amongst the hardcore fans. By this point I was actively looking at Japanese episodes before their US counterparts were released and making subsequent comparisons and references. Naturally, I was connected with a handful of people with similar habits via the internet.

The little community EXPLODED the day an English dub of Digimon featured one of the monsters actively threatening to kill a human being. Like, death is an implied consequence of failure in the series, but to hear a character actually inform another that he was going to kill them was basically totally unheard of.

It just amazes me now that it was considered a big deal at the time.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Digimon is another extreme example, despite being MOTW and episodic, it had some REALLY stand out moments, like this,

That's not character development. That's a walking, or I guess flying, cliche.

The best example I can think of right now is actually Saul Tigh. On a similar note, Babylon 5 had Londo Mollari.

As for some good anime examples, FLCL and Haruhi obviously come to mind. Code Geass maybe, although I'm not sure about that. Eureka 7. Host Club. Gundam 0080.
    What,
    Wizarmon's death, and Hikari and Tailmon's Character Dev.

was where Adventure really came into it's own and established Digimon as a really great series.

a) I don't think even PikaPuff will care if we spoil fucking Digimon.

b) Character A dies which causes Character B to become stronger and/or Badguy C to switch sides is like the Middle School Algebra of storyline. It could have been written by a two year old.

That was kinda late into Vamdemon arc, though.

What about the awesome first instance of Adventure's beard growing? Taichi's character developement at the start of the Vamdemon arc? where they bumped up the animation to make it more dramatic.

That is also not character development. That's how Taichi has always been.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    My script stops working every now and then for some reason, I got two full pages of time loop in the last thread just before the weekend.

Are you using the first version I linked, or the update I mentioned after that? Not many people updated or installed after I uploaded the update (I count 7 people). I haven't had any problems with the update, and I'm currently running a tweaked version (not blocking Clawshrimpy ATM, but other users like Obs) for testing to work around what seems to be a bug in Firefox. It might be more evident on slower computers since Firefox would take longer to do its voodoo when loading a page, but I deferred the script's execution to wait until after the page loads.
    I wouldn't watch it now with so many better things to dig, but it really is more than a poor man's Pokemon. That's really like saying that GaoGaiGar is a poor man's Gundam just because they both feature mechs.

Tamers was more like a poor man's Evangelion with a dash of Lain thrown in for good measure :P

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    See, Pokemon evolve like THIS, but Digimon, they evolve all like THIS!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Heh heh heh, it's funny cus it's true.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That is Date v. Martinez right? I never read the manga so I am really looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't spoil the rest of the fights, I mean if we see the two worlds best how are the rest going to stand up.

I figure they will make all of Ippos remaining fights seem even more epic, but I just hope they don't skimp on coverage of the championship match because it is featuring people beyond the main characters skill level.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

That is Date v. Martinez right? I never read the manga so I am really looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't spoil the rest of the fights, I mean if we see the two worlds best how are the rest going to stand up.

I figure they will make all of Ippos remaining fights seem even more epic, but I just hope they don't skimp on coverage of the championship match because it is featuring people beyond the main characters skill level.

I'm excited about the fight too, especially since it can be tougher to predict the winner when it's not Ippo or Takamura fighting.

Slicer on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oooooooh
    This month's special issue of Kinema Junpō magazine will announce that Kadokawa Pictures will adapt Namco's Tales of Vesperia role-playing game for the Xbox 360 console into a theatrical film this year. Kanta Kamei (Digimon: Diaboromon Strikes Back animation director, Kill Bill Chapter 3: The Origin of O-Ren visual supervisor) will direct, and Kousuke Toriumi (Basilisk, Di Gi Charat, Naruto, To Heart) will play a voice role in it. The original game was released in Japan on August 7 and then in the United States on August 26.

shiiiiiiiiiiit

Furu on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How the heck can you adapt a long RPG into a single movie?

Pata on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have no idea but Kanta Kamei is a fantastic animator so it will at the least be really really pretty

Furu on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll definitely watch it, but it does seem odd that they would make a movie adaption instead of a series for a long RPG.

Doubly odd since there's a Tales of the Abyss series going on right now.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh wait, I had Kamei confused with the One Piece Movie 6/Digimon Movie 3/Naruto vs Sasuke fight animator.

*looks up Kamei*

Okay yeah he's still really good.

Furu on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Tales of Symphonia OAV was pretty good and that was like, what, 2 hours long? Of course...
    It's only half-finished.

Akikan ep 6 was awesome. If only more harem series could be this epic. And it's only halfway.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Take out random battles.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Take out random battles.

The Tales series isn't exactly known for its random battles.

And the voice acting for Vesperia (excluding skits) is longer than a movie. I believe the skits come close to three hours by their selves.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Take out random battles.
    emot-rimshot.gif

Pata on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-RGC-83-GM-Cannon-II-Action-Figure_W0QQitemZ150321166400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
    This is so damn tempting.

I've so far seen the first ten episodes of Gundam 00. I am definitely enjoying this series.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys, I am just getting back into anime what is new and good out there? I am open to anything.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Take out random battles.
    emot-rimshot.gif
    Thank you! I'll be here all night! Try the tuna.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BathTubb wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am just getting back into anime what is new and good out there? I am open to anything.

Baccano!

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.